Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent Cricket 2022

Comments

• Options
    I see Sam Smith (currently playing for Tunbridge Wells but started off at Bickley Park and then moved to Bromley) has been playing for Surrey 2s. Smith will be 22 in August and came through the Kent age group system, was in their Academy for a number of years and despite playing a number of 2s games for them last season, didn't do enough to earn himself a contract - in fact he had a poor season for both Kent and Bromley in the KPL where he barely averaged 20.

Now I know that Surrey have a lot more money than us but not only does he actually have, unlike all the triallists that play for Kent, has his name on the back of his shirt but, more significantly, he is captaining the side as well as keeping (he is a very good keeper). He's just got out against Hants for an excellent 71 off 29 balls!

@cantersaddick Can you shed any light on his position?

https://live.nvplay.com/ecb/#m6588cec0-6625-46b7-9561-2a6ed3e9822a

Not exactly sure. I know hes been in the 2's recently. It could however be a mistake. A recent 4 day game against the Sri Lanka dev X1 Sam Smith was named on the team sheet (and surrey website and twitter the day before) but it was actually Jamie Smith who played and kept and captained. Not sure if that has happened again. Would be embarrassing if so.
    In fact they have now changed it on the scorecard for today's game from SWC Smith to JL Smith! 
  • Options
    Matt Henry is currently top score on 65 not out off 67 balls coming in for NZ at 10 against the County Select XI. Looking forward to him doing that for us plus, of course, taking a few victims with the ball later on in the season.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    wouldn’t  surprise me if Surrey were looking for more keeper options . With Foakes and maybe Pope possible away for most of the summmer the keeping well may be running a bit dry. 
  • Options
    wouldn’t  surprise me if Surrey were looking for more keeper options . With Foakes and maybe Pope possible away for most of the summmer the keeping well may be running a bit dry. 
    Hands off our Cox ! 

:smiley:
  • Options
    Smith (Jamie - our one) is a better keeper than Pope and a excellent prospect with the bat. Highly rated and captained the side in the RLODC last year at 20 yrs old.
  • Options
    O’Riordan is in prime form at the moment .  I hope he can do this in the 1s at some point 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Smith (Jamie - our one) is a better keeper than Pope and a excellent prospect with the bat. Highly rated and captained the side in the RLODC last year at 20 yrs old.
    Perhaps they want more -  Surrey scouts have been watching keepers at KPL games this year. 
  • Options
    Perhaps they want more -  Surrey scouts have been watching keepers at KPL games this year. 

Seb is keeping tomorrow for Bickley at Lordswood. I will keep an eye out for any Surrey scouts - and duly warn them off!!!
  • Options
    The County Select team are currently 59-1 with Sibley the man out to, of course, Henry. Compton is on 23* (49). 
  • Options
    Compton was out for 39 (79). A solid start.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still no Blakey 
  • Options
    Still no Blakey 
    Let's hope we don't regret leaving him out.

Anyone there tonight ? 
  • Options
    Niijar, more often turning out for Minster, is playing down a grade and opening the bowling for Essex. And Crawley is dropped off his bowling.
  • Options
    Excellent start with 60-0 in the PP
  • Options
    Being live streamed on YouTube. Support Essex but got to say Kent off to a flyer
  • Options
    luvly evening for it 

shame someone has already shouted "EEEGULLLSSS" is there no security there to stop these types of people from entering the ground?? 

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/fixture/kent-spitfires-vs-essex-eagles-4/
  • Options
    Enjoying the live stream - looks like a wonderful evening for some cricket. Makes me miss home dearly.
  • Options
    Decent total of 184-4.

Billings stepped it up in the end but Linde has looked really good with the bat in both games with 29 off 15 in the first and 23 off 11 in this 
  • Options
    Not sure who can get the runs for Essex
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    They have started well
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    A Northants player
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    A Northants player
    It's a talent I tell yer
  • Options
    Nice one agent Quinn
  • Options
    "You ain't seen nothing like the mighty Quinn!!"
  • Options
    Said it before and I’ll say it again, the balance to this team is completely wrong. Not having Milne or bringing in similar to him will cost us massively. 
  • Options
    And I was looking forward to the cricket season. 

:-1:
  • Options
    luvly evening for it 

shame someone has already shouted "EEEGULLLSSS" is there no security there to stop these types of people from entering the ground?? 

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/fixture/kent-spitfires-vs-essex-eagles-4/
    Palace supporters?
  • Options
    Another poor performance with the ball.
  • Options
    Said it before and I’ll say it again, the balance to this team is completely wrong. Not having Milne or bringing in similar to him will cost us massively. 
    But that would mean dropping Ahmad or Linde - the former was one of our best players last season and Linde has bowled and batted, in particular, well - an average of 52 at a strike rate of 200. Milne only played in 4 of our 14 games last season and wasn't the reason we won the comp.

The issue is closer to home and sometimes bad decisions have cost us - certainly batting first against Somerset being one of them and possibly giving the first over to Denly (bowled just 3 overs since last September) which went for 17 is another. The main other problem is that one or two of the bowlers aren't performing as they might. Milnes, for example, is not the same bowler he was last year - he has taken 4-482 in the CC and so far his figures in The Blast, where he was our top wicket taker last season, are 7.4-0-79-2.

Early days and no need to panic yet but the pressure is on the team and management - we've eliminated ourselves from the CC, are going to lose more than half of our best team to some Mickey Mouse comp thereby making it extremely difficult  to win the Royal London and we could be out of The Blast before the end of June so for the last three months of the season we might be playing for pride only,
  • Options
    But that would mean dropping Ahmad or Linde - the former was one of our best players last season and Linde has bowled and batted, in particular, well - an average of 52 at a strike rate of 200. Milne only played in 4 of our 14 games last season and wasn't the reason we won the comp.

The issue is closer to home and sometimes bad decisions have cost us - certainly batting first against Somerset being one of them and possibly giving the first over to Denly (bowled just 3 overs since last September) which went for 17 is another. The main other problem is that one or two of the bowlers aren't performing as they might. Milnes, for example, is not the same bowler he was last year - he has taken 4-482 in the CC and so far his figures in The Blast, where he was our top wicket taker last season, are 7.4-0-79-2.

Early days and no need to panic yet but the pressure is on the team and management - we've eliminated ourselves from the CC, are going to lose more than half of our best team to some Mickey Mouse comp thereby making it extremely difficult  to win the Royal London and we could be out of The Blast before the end of June so for the last three months of the season we might be playing for pride only,
    The Royal London has no meaning. Last year we played a third team and players not even contracted. Don't get me started on the impact of the flippin Hundred!