Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent Cricket 2022

Comments

• Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Heck, that rules out Compton, Crawley and DBD from the Vine vs Blackheath game I'm umpiring on Saturday...

The Vine are struggling too - it might also rule out Logan for them if Kent insist on him being 12th man plus another Kent First Class cricketer, Harry Houillon, might still be at Uni (no sign of Ben Price either and Miles Richardson appears to have left for Kings Hill).
  • Options
    Seb got a message last night from Jas Singh that he'd been called up to the first team squad - have now seen that Podmore failed a fitness test yesterday hence this being the case. Wish Jas all the best should he play which he will unless we go in with two spinners. 

It's ironic that we've gone from having nine fit seamers to having to omit Podmore, Gilchrist, Milnes, Klaassen and Bird for varying reasons.
  • Options
    •  BG Compton
    •  Z Crawley
    •  DJ Bell-Drummond
    •  JA Leaning*
    •  JM Cox
    •  OG Robinson†
    •  DI Stevens
    •  GF Linde
    •  G Stewart
    •  J Singh
    •  MR Quinn
    On paper, with Stewart coming in at 9 (90 off 91 in his last match) that is one hell of a batting line up. Shame it's not played on paper!
  • Options
    Northampton won the toss and have put us in.
  • Options
    That bowling lineup though  :#

Did we seriously consider playing 2 spinners, as we brought Logan and O'Riordan along, yet called up Singh when Podmore pulled out? It's not as if we have the option of Denly's leggies either
  • Options
    That bowling lineup though  :#

Did we seriously consider playing 2 spinners, as we brought Logan and O'Riordan along, yet called up Singh when Podmore pulled out? It's not as if we have the option of Denly's leggies either
    And we left out the spinner who took 6 wickets in an innings this season - Qadri
  • Options
    Can't get the livestream on the Kent website so anyone with the same issues below is the link to the Northants site

https://nccc.co.uk/live/
  • Options
    Decent start for Kent, 87-0 at lunch with Crawley on 57
  • Options
    Having put us in, I'm not sure that Ricardo Vasconcleos, the Northants skipper, is going to be enjoying his lunch too much!
  • Options
    Same old same old...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Crawley has some serious concentration issues because I'm sure, had that ball been the first of the day, he would have just watched it go by. I watched him early on again hitting the ball on off stump through mid wicket for boundaries but would still like to see him play more in the "V" at that point in his innings - he actually had a leading edge from doing so which dropped very close to point - because the NZ seamers will be that much quicker.
  • Options
    144-1

Compton 50* (131)
    DBD 27* (57)

Compton now has 718 runs at an average of 103 - not skewed by one or two innings either given that he has scored 47 or more in 7 of his 9 innings. Absolutely astonishing for a 28 year old who, prior to this season, had never regularly played First Class cricket.
  • Options
    I'm watching the match on YouTube, and the coverage is of a standard almost as good as Sky sports. Absolutely amazed!
    Oh, and Kent are going great at 231/1
  • Options
    Yet another ton for Compton - his 4th in 10 innings for Kent!
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Compton's scores this season:

104*
    63*
    104*

774 runs at an average of 110.57

Outstanding - and fair play to Matt Walker for taking a punt on him, must have seen something that others hadn't in him! 
  • Options
    He's clearly no T20 player - if you're not that, you tend to fly under the radar a bit more
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    He's clearly no T20 player - if you're not that, you tend to fly under the radar a bit more
    Spot on. As one county coach said to me last year, "if an age group batsman can't hit 360 by the age of 16 then he won't be in the squad". Such is the impact of the concentration on white ball over the last decade.
  • Options
    Play started at 2.00 for those that are interested
  • Options
    330-4. Compton made 140 and Cox 5

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    391-6 Robinson out for 21 and Stevens for 19. Leaning 46* and Linde 2*

What are the chances of us reaching 500 for a change?
  • Options
    500 up. Even Crawley made 62! track must be easy
  • Options
    Wow, Kent even had the luxury of declaring!
  • Options
    They're 2 down already!
  • Options
    Northants close the day on 21 for 2 so nice couple of wickets at the end of the day for Kent. 
  • Options
    Great stuff for a change! 😏
  • Options
    Great stuff for a change! 😏
    Indeed ! 

We even dismissed one of the Curran brothers for just 1 run ! 
  • Options
    If the Kent side were picked on the basis of batting averages this season then Zak Crawley would be 12th man. If the England side was picked on the same basis Ben Compton would be batting at 5 but would be opening if runs scored were the criteria. The former has 218 runs at 24.22 (9 innings) whereas the latter 810 runs at 101.25 (10 innings).

Compton needs a season of consistent performance to really put himself in the frame for England honours (and the experience of an England A tour) whereas Crawley needs a good series against NZ to justify his selection. If I were a betting man then I would say that Compton will open one day for England in Test cricket whereas Crawley is destined to become a white ball international where 50 over cricket might well prove to be his strongest suit.
  • Options
    134-4

With the cooler, cloudier weather, welcome back Stevo, 2-26 in 15 overs including the key wicket of Vasconcelos for 71
  • Options
    Northants 430 all out, proving that not every team gets 500 against us!