Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

More Controlled Parking Restrictions for Charlton

Comments

• The official view will be that it’s an attempt to drive people out of their cars onto public transport and tick the “ green credentials “ box. The reality is that it will just deter some maybe quite a few from coming at all. 
    This.

They are trying anything to get people out of their own vehicles and onto a bus or bike. Whether that's parking charges, congestion charges, rephasing the traffic lights so they go green for 7 seconds and red for 3 minutes or the phantom roadworks where a workman is nowhere to be seen. If it makes drivers miserable they may well start to leave the car at home and use an alternative. Doubt it though.

Apart from making the alternatives cheaper and better
    Indeed, it’s a discussion that’s gaining traction here in Boston. Smaller scale city, but the gridlock can be terrible. They want more people to use public transit, but until now they seem to think that increasing prices and cutting services would make that happen. There’s this idea that public transportation need to break even, but it never will, so it’s a foolish to try an plan on that basis. 

Now the push is going in completely the opposite direction. Make it free. At the moment it’s focused on bus lines serving poorer areas, but the results are promising. Ridership is up, as you would expect. Totally free may not be achievable, but maybe making all buses free is possible. Coupling that with more bus lanes would get some out of their cars. 

Personally I think starting with government (central and local) covering capital costs, just as they do for roads, would be a starting point. Have fares cover operating costs and see how that changes the pricing structure. 
  • Can someone tell me when this is supposed to be happening? I travel down from Leicestershire for the games and park on the east side of the The Valley opposite Marion Park, where my old man use to park in the 60/70's.
    Coming down by train would involve 4 trains (potentially 5) and would take an eternity, let alone getting back again. I guess if this is coming in this season, it'll be the last ST I'll buy as will maybe just come down for 1 or 2 games a season. How fucking ridiculous!!
    Thanks for any help with this!
    Or just go for the option of paying £5 to park in Asda? Maybe a viable alternative. 
  • Rothko said:
    The CPZ is being brought in as those roads are being used as car parks for Charlton Station and North Greenwich, not to spite people who think getting the train a few times on a Saturday
    This isn't about Charlton Station - that's part of the justification. Parking is not really a problem on non-football Saturdays but including them until 6.30pm will give the Council a revenue bonus and catch home games. Not ok to park on a Saturday, unless you use a pay-to-park space - then it's fine.  It is about hitting motorists and opening new lines of revenue. If not, why do owners of second cars have to pay double? Why do people with working vehicles (vans etc) have to pay £428 - they are still only occupying a vehicle space? This is the Council's car-hating elite at work and in conjunction with TfL's disastrous Cycleways. The Silvertown Tunnel is a crazy decision and goes against all of the Mayor and the Council's policies and ethics on climate change and local pollution. However, it gives them the justification to toll both the Silvertown and the Blackwall Tunnels. They will tell us that these tolls will only be in place until they have recovered the cost of the tunnel build but we all know what happens once they are in place - look at Dartford (tunnel and bridge) where the cost was repaid in 2003. They rake in close to £100m a year now. That could have paid for the new Silvertown Tunnel years ago.

Motorists in south-east London will soon live with the worst traffic congestion and pollution in the country (if we don't already) and also be taxed the most for the cheek of having a car - Congestion Charge, Ultra Low Emission Zone charges, Tunnel Tolls and Resident Parking charges and restrictions. All whilst our arterial roads have been restricted to single-file, often idling, queueing traffic to accommodate a tiny number of patronising cyclists (I have two road bikes). 

Before anyone gets confused, I understand why we need to address climate change and support great public transport. Make it work really well and make it cheap, then I will consider my car usage seriously. In the meantime it's just another cynical and continuing attack on motorists. 
    I don’t see how the cycleways are disastrous? It’s opened up a lot of the local area to me where otherwise I’d have felt unsafe cycling. 

I used to drive to the valley but since the cycleway along trafalgar road opened I’m now cycling. Same goes for some of my journeys to West Greenwich and Blackheath. 

I get that it’s challenging to use public transport for those coming from Kent/Bexley but for those living closer to the valley around Greenwich, driving is completely unnecessary.
    This is why....

Yeah that’s a perfect example of what’s great about the cycle lanes. I wouldn’t fancy cycling along there without the segregation but now I have a speedy, safe way to get to Charlton. 
    Pay £150 a year on "bike tax" and you're welcome to it. Until then, all road users should have equal rights. Crazy to have miles of empty lanes whilst cars are crammed into just 1 lane.
  • Rothko said:
    The CPZ is being brought in as those roads are being used as car parks for Charlton Station and North Greenwich, not to spite people who think getting the train a few times on a Saturday
    This isn't about Charlton Station - that's part of the justification. Parking is not really a problem on non-football Saturdays but including them until 6.30pm will give the Council a revenue bonus and catch home games. Not ok to park on a Saturday, unless you use a pay-to-park space - then it's fine.  It is about hitting motorists and opening new lines of revenue. If not, why do owners of second cars have to pay double? Why do people with working vehicles (vans etc) have to pay £428 - they are still only occupying a vehicle space? This is the Council's car-hating elite at work and in conjunction with TfL's disastrous Cycleways. The Silvertown Tunnel is a crazy decision and goes against all of the Mayor and the Council's policies and ethics on climate change and local pollution. However, it gives them the justification to toll both the Silvertown and the Blackwall Tunnels. They will tell us that these tolls will only be in place until they have recovered the cost of the tunnel build but we all know what happens once they are in place - look at Dartford (tunnel and bridge) where the cost was repaid in 2003. They rake in close to £100m a year now. That could have paid for the new Silvertown Tunnel years ago.

Motorists in south-east London will soon live with the worst traffic congestion and pollution in the country (if we don't already) and also be taxed the most for the cheek of having a car - Congestion Charge, Ultra Low Emission Zone charges, Tunnel Tolls and Resident Parking charges and restrictions. All whilst our arterial roads have been restricted to single-file, often idling, queueing traffic to accommodate a tiny number of patronising cyclists (I have two road bikes). 

Before anyone gets confused, I understand why we need to address climate change and support great public transport. Make it work really well and make it cheap, then I will consider my car usage seriously. In the meantime it's just another cynical and continuing attack on motorists. 
    I don’t see how the cycleways are disastrous? It’s opened up a lot of the local area to me where otherwise I’d have felt unsafe cycling. 

I used to drive to the valley but since the cycleway along trafalgar road opened I’m now cycling. Same goes for some of my journeys to West Greenwich and Blackheath. 

I get that it’s challenging to use public transport for those coming from Kent/Bexley but for those living closer to the valley around Greenwich, driving is completely unnecessary.
    This is why....

Yeah that’s a perfect example of what’s great about the cycle lanes. I wouldn’t fancy cycling along there without the segregation but now I have a speedy, safe way to get to Charlton. 
    Pay £150 a year on "bike tax" and you're welcome to it. Until then, all road users should have equal rights. Crazy to have miles of empty lanes whilst cars are crammed into just 1 lane.
    Is this when we have to explain to a really thick person that there is no such thing as road tax 
  • Redrobo said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

This is why....

Is this when we have to explain to a really thick person that there is no such thing as road tax 
    No, this is when we have to explain how to behave in an appropriate manor to fellow fans.
    What manor (sic) is that
  • Surely the equivalent to bike tax is car tax? Not road tax?
  • edited November 2021
    And there isn’t a car tax or road tax, and if it’s a straight read across, a zero emissions car pays the grand total of £0
  • Usually plenty of parking on Lombard Wall just past Primark.
  • edited November 2021
    Usually plenty of parking on Lombard Wall just past Primark.
    Don’t tell everybody! That’s where I park. 

I did use to park down Anchor and Hope lane but not managed to get a space there for a while. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

This is why....

Another cyclist trope.
  • Usually plenty of parking on Lombard Wall just past Primark.

I did use to park down Anchor and Hope lane but not managed to get a space there for a while. 
    Get there earlier.
  • edited November 2021
    Rothko said:
    And there isn’t a car tax or road tax, and if it’s a straight read across, a zero emissions car pays the grand total of £0
    How about £150 a year insurance to use a cycle lane and a compulsory 'mot' to ensure your cycle is roadworthy?
  • Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

This is why....

Another cyclist trope.
    It’s also true, there’s a tax on emissions that internal combustion engines produce, and it goes in to general taxation, and not ring fenced for use on the transport infrastructure.

or is that a trope as well. Just for the record  I drive a car, and at the moment I pay for the emissions that come from it. 

• clb74 said:
    Usually plenty of parking on Lombard Wall just past Primark.

Get there earlier.
    Trouble is I worry that the longer I’m in the vicinity I might bump in to that little scroat @ElfsborgAddick..Although on reflection, I’d actually have to park in Goole or Biggleswade on a Saturday if I was to bump in him. 
  • Addickted said:
    Rothko said:
    How about £150 a year insurance to use a cycle lane and a compulsory 'mot' to ensure your cycle is roadworthy?
    We going from tax to insurance now, usual motorist tropes being churned out. but yeah all for massive bureaucracy and barriers to use for a low risk form of transport.
  • Certainly bad news for me as someone who parks in the blue zone. I get a nice spot each home game, and can be home in Welling by 5:30pm sometimes even with a takeaway to hand and that's after staying to see the tunnel jump after the game too. 

There is absolutely no need to do this on a Saturday apart from attack the motorist who prefers to drive to home games and will now make it far more difficult and longer to get home after a game if having to take public transport. Been and done it before as went about six months between my current and previous car and I couldn't wait to get back in the car.
  • Addickted said:
    Rothko said:
    So now not only do we have people moaning that the cycle lanes are empty but we've got people suggesting ways to dissuade people from cycling? 
  • Addickted said:
    Rothko said:
    Yep, probably more like it. 

Call it what you like.....road tax, car tax, emissions tax but I know cyclists dont pay it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2021
    Certainly bad news for me as someone who parks in the blue zone. I get a nice spot each home game, and can be home in Welling by 5:30pm sometimes even with a takeaway to hand and that's after staying to see the tunnel jump after the game too. 

There is absolutely no need to do this on a Saturday apart from attack the motorist who prefers to drive to home games and will now make it far more difficult and longer to get home after a game if having to take public transport. Been and done it before as went about six months between my current and previous car and I couldn't wait to get back in the car.
    The only way you will ever get my to ditch my car for public transport is if there is a bus or train going to exactly where I want to go (well, within 500 yards) and turns up on time at intervals of no more than 10 mins.

My son gets a bus to college. The 477 that runs between Orpington & Bluewater. They run every 40 mins.....so roughly 2 every hour & a half (no every 3 mins tube trains this far south of the river I'm afraid). This week they cancelled the one he was due to get on in the morning.....only for it to appear an hour later in Dartford for the remaining 10 min ride to Bluewater. That evening one was 30 mins late & the next one cancelled. One evening last week one was so late running the next one was just behind it. You might joke about London buses always turning up together but it's some job to get 2 that are supposed to be 40 mins apart doing that !!

Love a politician to talk to me about fecking public transport. And we haven't touched on the subject of the railways (and the adult fare starting at age 16 !).

• Redrobo said:
    I think we all agree that more people should travel by public transport, but you can’t park at stations as they are expensive, full, or inadequate. You can’t park in the side streets because of restrictions or full.

Train travel is horrendously expensive unless it is off peak and you have a travel card. The bus ‘service’ is too unreliable to risk missing your train, very slow and expensive. I drop my wife to the station and pick her up - doubling the carbon output from my car. Long Q to drop off as well.

Many where I live in Kent, hack down the motorway to say Eltham and get the train from there as this is cheaper. The balance is just wrong. How can someone lease a car, pay for fuel etc and still outperform a train? Not even a close comparison. Your car is Warm/cool, you get a seat, quicker, nicer environment, cheaper. 
    A car share wallops them. 

London to Bristol one way coach £7:50.  Train £115

The National transport system is broken. If Government want people to use the system it has to be accessible, good value, and reliable. Ken Livingston, for all his faults, did get passengers back using public transport. It can be done, and not by just attacking the motorist. 

Bravo

Needs a fresh approach 
  • Rothko said:

driving from Bexleyheath (with my kids) takes around 15/20 mins and I tend to park down by pound park road/near the park - 5 mins away from the ground, getting a bus/train would take best part of an hour and even longer getting home after - fine if you are going for a pint after and not in a rush, not ideal for all
  • The official view will be that it’s an attempt to drive people out of their cars onto public transport and tick the “ green credentials “ box. The reality is that it will just deter some maybe quite a few from coming at all. 
    This.

They are trying anything to get people out of their own vehicles and onto a bus or bike. Whether that's parking charges, congestion charges, rephasing the traffic lights so they go green for 7 seconds and red for 3 minutes or the phantom roadworks where a workman is nowhere to be seen. If it makes drivers miserable they may well start to leave the car at home and use an alternative. Doubt it though.

Apart from making the alternatives cheaper and better
    Indeed, it’s a discussion that’s gaining traction here in Boston. Smaller scale city, but the gridlock can be terrible. They want more people to use public transit, but until now they seem to think that increasing prices and cutting services would make that happen. There’s this idea that public transportation need to break even, but it never will, so it’s a foolish to try an plan on that basis. 

Now the push is going in completely the opposite direction. Make it free. At the moment it’s focused on bus lines serving poorer areas, but the results are promising. Ridership is up, as you would expect. Totally free may not be achievable, but maybe making all buses free is possible. Coupling that with more bus lanes would get some out of their cars. 

Personally I think starting with government (central and local) covering capital costs, just as they do for roads, would be a starting point. Have fares cover operating costs and see how that changes the pricing structure. 
    Free local public transport is an inevitable no brainer. I see it as just a matter of how long it takes...
  • Doesn't bode well for a few years time when we're in the Premier league with 40k fans at every home game.
  • Doesn't bode well for a few years time when we're in the Premier league with 40k fans at every home game.
    The Larkfield coach for the Chamions League semi final leaves next Wednesday 
  • Can someone tell me when this is supposed to be happening? I travel down from Leicestershire for the games and park on the east side of the The Valley opposite Marion Park, where my old man use to park in the 60/70's.
    Coming down by train would involve 4 trains (potentially 5) and would take an eternity, let alone getting back again. I guess if this is coming in this season, it'll be the last ST I'll buy as will maybe just come down for 1 or 2 games a season. How fucking ridiculous!!
    Or just go for the option of paying £5 to park in Asda? Maybe a viable alternative. 
    thanks @valleynick66, I didnt know about that option. Appreciated.
  • edited November 2021
    Can someone tell me when this is supposed to be happening? I travel down from Leicestershire for the games and park on the east side of the The Valley opposite Marion Park, where my old man use to park in the 60/70's.
    I normally park on Victoria Way, which is in the blue zone but doesnt seem to be changing too much looking at the detailed plans, imagine that will get extremely busy if all the other roads around it cop the new rules, so this will be an alternative, which i didnt know exist, either that or park down eastmoor street (which i hate doing)
  • edited November 2021
    Can someone tell me when this is supposed to be happening? I travel down from Leicestershire for the games and park on the east side of the The Valley opposite Marion Park, where my old man use to park in the 60/70's.
    You have to pre-book with Just Park to avoid a parking ticket.
  • Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

This is why....

Another cyclist trope.
    It’s also true, there’s a tax on emissions that internal combustion engines produce, and it goes in to general taxation, and not ring fenced for use on the transport infrastructure.

or is that a trope as well. Just for the record  I drive a car, and at the moment I pay for the emissions that come from it. 

It's still a Road Tax however much you dislike the name.