Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

More Controlled Parking Restrictions for Charlton

Comments

• The area covered by the new CPZ will effect very few on a match day, and there is no restrictions on lots of the parking around the Barrier/North of the Woolwich Road. 
  • clive said:
    Could anyone easily set out on a map what roads this would impact please?

@bertpalmer can you start a petition to either change Google’s name to Clive or Clive’s name to google please?
  • All this talk about boxing day but we are away to Wimbledon that day.
    And some of us have tickets already 😉
  • Fumbluff said:
    clive said:
    Could anyone easily set out on a map what roads this would impact please?

@bertpalmer can you start a petition to either change Google’s name to Clive or Clive’s name to google please?
    Press 'like' for Google to Clive or 'lol' for Clive to Google.
  • edited November 2021
    Gribbo said:
    It ain't just about the football.

As I read it, it's saying they're planning on increasing the yellow and double yellow lines, meaning residents won't be able to park where they used to. Could be wrong, but thought that was the OP's point?
    It was - I am local and far from happy. Paying for a chance to park near my home. There are more cars than spaces and with them removing spaces for pay-to-park it's a lose-lose for car owning residents.
  • iainment said:
    Or fans could get to the Valley by public transport, cycling or walking. All of which I do from time to time.

It may surprise some of you but I live in Southampton.
    My son, grandson and me are season ticket holders so travel up for home games.
    It costs around £25 in fuel for the three of us whereas to go by public transport would cost around £150-£160 for the three of us plus parking at the station.
    If you would like to help out with the cost we'll travel by train to every home game. Unfortunately cycling and walking are probably not an option.
    I've already had to buy a new car because of the ULEZ.
    So thankyou for your suggestion but I'll file it under gfy.
    The public transport/walk/cycle lobby simply don't get the fact that trains in particular are expensive. They always quote optimum discounts etc on long distance journeys. Stuff that's not available on the branch network.

• seth plum said:
    When Lewisham brought in the LTN they said what they had done was 'engagement' not 'consultation' as some would understand these things to be.
    One of my Labour ward councillors, James Rathbone, then took photographs of trade vans going through the restricted barriers and putting them on his tweet thing, and also grassing those drivers up to their companies. I detected a big sense of glee when he did it.
    Evidence that it isn't only Tories that can be complete and utter........
    (Shut up Seth you're derailing the thread and the usual pile on merchants will be here in a second!).
    Greenwich Council are also scaremongering by telling us if we don't vote for the restrictions, we may find neighbouring areas do and we will find some of them parking in our area. The logic of that, of course, is the Council acknowledging that they will be restricting spaces even further.
  • Redrobo said:
    I think we all agree that more people should travel by public transport, but you can’t park at stations as they are expensive, full, or inadequate. You can’t park in the side streets because of restrictions or full.

Train travel is horrendously expensive unless it is off peak and you have a travel card. The bus ‘service’ is too unreliable to risk missing your train, very slow and expensive. I drop my wife to the station and pick her up - doubling the carbon output from my car. Long Q to drop off as well.

Many where I live in Kent, hack down the motorway to say Eltham and get the train from there as this is cheaper. The balance is just wrong. How can someone lease a car, pay for fuel etc and still outperform a train? Not even a close comparison. Your car is Warm/cool, you get a seat, quicker, nicer environment, cheaper. 
    A car share wallops them. 

London to Bristol one way coach £7:50.  Train £115

The National transport system is broken. If Government want people to use the system it has to be accessible, good value, and reliable. Ken Livingston, for all his faults, did get passengers back using public transport. It can be done, and not by just attacking the motorist. 

How many times do we have home games where the train operators fail massively to even consider the additional number of train users? It's pathetic as well as expensive. If public transport was cheap and reliable this would all be a no-brainer - sadly it isn't, which is why we have to have the debate.
  • South-Western Railways bless 'em have just drastically reduced the number of services offering their "Super Off-Peak" fares.
    As a consequence the cheapest return  rail fare I can get from Poole to Charlton is now £90 return for me and my son, with a Railcard.
    Alternatively we can get a National Express coach Bournemouth to London Victoria plus tube and rail fares about £70 with coach card.
    Or I can bung my son £40 petrol money and we park free around Charlton Park.
    All the while I can afford it I still prefer to use the train, but over 20 odd times a year you can see where the savings are
  • Sponsored links:

• Spent 3 days up in Morecambe, visited Kendal & Windermere, drove up and hotel the same price as the train fare, which would have required a stay over anyway.
  • Spent 3 days up in Morecambe, visited Kendal & Windermere, drove up and hotel the same price as the train fare, which would have required a stay over anyway.
    Could have slept in the car - old school style?
  • Will this even apply on Saturdays? Or in the evening? This isn't targeted at Charlton supporters, but commuters.

All governments pay lip service to public transport but don't really mean it. Fuel duty has had a real terms cut and train fares go up above inflation every year. Bus fares outside cities are ridiculous.  We have some of the most expensive fares in the world and the government pretend we're a world leader in saving the planet. 
  • So if this goes through, will it mean that on a Matchday you won’t be able to park in the blue zones?
  • edited November 2021
    So if this goes through, will it mean that on a Matchday you won’t be able to park in the blue zones?
    You won't be able to park in the red zone, the blue zone is the wider consultation area and could be extended to that
  • So if this goes through, will it mean that on a Matchday you won’t be able to park in the blue zones?
    Yes
  • Time for the local MPs to push for a tram link (a la the Wimbledon one) between Woolwich Arsenal and North Greenwich via Charlton (for starters) to connect cross rail and the jubilee line/The O2 and then on to Greenwich for the DLR ?
  • I see the anti vehicle brigade aren't happy at other people choosing a car over a £100 train ticket.

Classic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Strikes me that this will just push more cars up beyond Charlton Park (Canberra Road) and towards Shooters Hill Road extending the walk to The Valley a few minutes but just relocating the problem. 
    Not just relocating the problem but making it far worse. You then have less roads to put the same amount of cars. Rather obvious really but "politicians" dont seem to realise.

I'll just start moving residents "blockades" of weellie bins & planks of wood and park there. I think I'm going to start taking photos of such "blockades" now & send them to the council. 
  • iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    I think, of course, public transport should be cheaper and easier. But whether it is or isn’t the use of cars for leisure journeys is going to be something that becomes more and more difficult. That is if COP26 means anything.
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    Or fans could get to the Valley by public transport, cycling or walking. All of which I do from time to time.

It may surprise some of you but I live in Southampton.
    My son, grandson and me are season ticket holders so travel up for home games.
    It costs around £25 in fuel for the three of us whereas to go by public transport would cost around £150-£160 for the three of us plus parking at the station.
    If you would like to help out with the cost we'll travel by train to every home game. Unfortunately cycling and walking are probably not an option.
    I've already had to buy a new car because of the ULEZ.
    So thankyou for your suggestion but I'll file it under gfy.
    Even so why should locals have to put up with you parking outside their house and inconveniencing them?
    To your first point the car I bought is a hybrid.

To your second point I always park the other side of Charlton park on the side of the road by the park so I'm not parked directly outside any ones house.
    My car is taxed, MOT'd and insured and I park it legally.

Anything else you want to moan about?
    Don’t think so. But something will probably come up. 

Shouldn’t you support your local team? 🙂
    Surely you’re just a WUM at this point?
    Otherwise I find that last comment really insulting, god knows how Southampton Addick must feel?
    It’s a joke. 
    It wasn’t obvious or funny.
    Sorry if I didn’t pass your test.
    WUM then
    My wife, who is from Kerry, wonders if you’ve caught the Cork bug.
    Highly unlikely, cos if she’s from Kerry she knows I’ll always be considered a blow in & therefore I can’t catch anything remotely Cork.
    Same as a sense of humour, you can’t marry into that 🤷‍♀️
    You are an arse though, so Cork will suit you fine.
    Oh I’m cut to the quick.
    How will I ever………………………….🙄

Funny, it’s always those who no longer live here that speak like that 🤔
    WUM confirmation & verified.
  • Seems to me this is another good reason why streaming MUST continue:-)

(Dons helmet and awaits the onslaught) 
  • edited November 2021
    clive said:
    Time for the local MPs to push for a tram link (a la the Wimbledon one) between Woolwich Arsenal and North Greenwich via Charlton (for starters) to connect cross rail and the jubilee line/The O2 and then on to Greenwich for the DLR ?
    With bus/cycle lanes covering most of the route between Woolwich & Charlton, the journey time is now about ten minutes on a bus.
    On a matchday i can leave Wetherspoons in Woolwich at 14.20 & be in my seat at 'The Valley' by 14.35.
    When Crossrail opens, it maybe quicker for some people travelling from across London to travel via Woolwich.
    Public transport has never been so good in the local area now. 

Tube to North Greenwich and DLR to Woolwich. Good and quick bus service to the ground from both points of call.

Trains into Charlton from London and the loop line for people in Sidcup and Crayford.

And when Crossrail is finally opened a train from Reading and parts of West London straight into Woolwich. 

A vast improvement in the last 25 years 
  • shirty5 said:
    clive said:
    Time for the local MPs to push for a tram link (a la the Wimbledon one) between Woolwich Arsenal and North Greenwich via Charlton (for starters) to connect cross rail and the jubilee line/The O2 and then on to Greenwich for the DLR ?
    With bus/cycle lanes covering most of the route between Woolwich & Charlton, the journey time is now about ten minutes on a bus.
    On a matchday i can leave Wetherspoons in Woolwich at 14.20 & be in my seat at 'The Valley' by 14.35.
    When Crossrail opens, it maybe quicker for some people travelling from across London to travel via Woolwich.
    Public transport has never been so good in the local area now. 

Tube to North Greenwich and DLR to Woolwich. Good and quick bus service to the ground from both points of call.

Trains into Charlton from London and the loop line for people in Sidcup and Crayford.

And when Crossrail is finally opened a train from Reading and parts of West London straight into Woolwich. 

A vast improvement in the last 25 years 
    Oh mate, that's not right.

Yes, it's a good service on the buses from North Greenwich to Charlton pre-match. No argument on that. 

But post-match is a completely different. First of all, unless you get on a bus in the Woolwich Road it's a mad scramble trying to get on one after they've turned right into Anchor & Hope lane. That's if the bus isn't full by the time the bus gets to that stop.

Then it's an endless journey back to North Greenwich as the bus gets stuck in traffic. It can take anything up to an hour on a particularly bad Saturday evening to get back to the station. In fact, it's one of the main reasons I have stopped coming regularly - the length of time it takes me to get home and the general hassle.
  • South-Western Railways bless 'em have just drastically reduced the number of services offering their "Super Off-Peak" fares.
    As a consequence the cheapest return  rail fare I can get from Poole to Charlton is now £90 return for me and my son, with a Railcard.
    Alternatively we can get a National Express coach Bournemouth to London Victoria plus tube and rail fares about £70 with coach card.
    Or I can bung my son £40 petrol money and we park free around Charlton Park.
    All the while I can afford it I still prefer to use the train, but over 20 odd times a year you can see where the savings are
    Or you could save £200 - 300 per month by not having a car in the first place!
  • The official view will be that it’s an attempt to drive people out of their cars onto public transport and tick the “ green credentials “ box. The reality is that it will just deter some maybe quite a few from coming at all. 
    This.

They are trying anything to get people out of their own vehicles and onto a bus or bike. Whether that's parking charges, congestion charges, rephasing the traffic lights so they go green for 7 seconds and red for 3 minutes or the phantom roadworks where a workman is nowhere to be seen. If it makes drivers miserable they may well start to leave the car at home and use an alternative. Doubt it though.