Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

More Controlled Parking Restrictions for Charlton

Comments

• iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    I think, of course, public transport should be cheaper and easier. But whether it is or isn’t the use of cars for leisure journeys is going to be something that becomes more and more difficult. That is if COP26 means anything.
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    Or fans could get to the Valley by public transport, cycling or walking. All of which I do from time to time.

It may surprise some of you but I live in Southampton.
    My son, grandson and me are season ticket holders so travel up for home games.
    It costs around £25 in fuel for the three of us whereas to go by public transport would cost around £150-£160 for the three of us plus parking at the station.
    If you would like to help out with the cost we'll travel by train to every home game. Unfortunately cycling and walking are probably not an option.
    I've already had to buy a new car because of the ULEZ.
    So thankyou for your suggestion but I'll file it under gfy.
    Even so why should locals have to put up with you parking outside their house and inconveniencing them?
    To your first point the car I bought is a hybrid.

To your second point I always park the other side of Charlton park on the side of the road by the park so I'm not parked directly outside any ones house.
    My car is taxed, MOT'd and insured and I park it legally.

Anything else you want to moan about?
    Don’t think so. But something will probably come up. 

Shouldn’t you support your local team? 🙂
    Surely you’re just a WUM at this point?
    Otherwise I find that last comment really insulting, god knows how Southampton Addick must feel?
    It’s a joke. 
    It wasn’t obvious or funny.
    Sorry if I didn’t pass your test.
  • edited November 2021
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    I think, of course, public transport should be cheaper and easier. But whether it is or isn’t the use of cars for leisure journeys is going to be something that becomes more and more difficult. That is if COP26 means anything.
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    Or fans could get to the Valley by public transport, cycling or walking. All of which I do from time to time.

It costs around £25 in fuel for the three of us whereas to go by public transport would cost around £150-£160 for the three of us plus parking at the station.
    If you would like to help out with the cost we'll travel by train to every home game. Unfortunately cycling and walking are probably not an option.
    Even so why should locals have to put up with you parking outside their house and inconveniencing them?

To your second point I always park the other side of Charlton park on the side of the road by the park so I'm not parked directly outside any ones house.

Otherwise I find that last comment really insulting, god knows how Southampton Addick must feel?
    It’s a joke. 
    WUM then
  • When Lewisham brought in the LTN they said what they had done was 'engagement' not 'consultation' as some would understand these things to be.
    One of my Labour ward councillors, James Rathbone, then took photographs of trade vans going through the restricted barriers and putting them on his tweet thing, and also grassing those drivers up to their companies. I detected a big sense of glee when he did it.
    Evidence that it isn't only Tories that can be complete and utter........
    (Shut up Seth you're derailing the thread and the usual pile on merchants will be here in a second!).
  • On LTNs, DfT shovelled the money out of the door at the start of the pandemic, with an attitude of spend it quick or lose it. So you have some LTNs which have upset a few, and some LTNs which are working nicely 
  • Do we do jokes on Charltonlife?
  • edited November 2021
    Blimey - TFL charged us£8.60 each for tapping in at Feltham and travelling to Charlton (return) - bargain, would have been a bit quicker / cheaper thru' Twickenham, but, a bit busy that way Saturday.

50 minutes, one change, driving would probably be double that.
  • iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

It’s a joke. 
    WUM then
    Not necessarily. 
  • I’m amazed you paid that much! We travel from Rainham every home game and for the 3 of us it’s £34 
    iaitch said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    Good for you but not everyone lives within a few miles of the ground .
    I think public transport goes more than a few miles though. 😎

For once, I attended Saturday's match by Train with my son. 2 returns from Rainham (kent) cost me £53:00, whereas the alternative is about £15 in petrol. Maybe if they made our railways more affordable we might just use them a bit more. It would still work out cheaper if I were to drive, pay for parking and even the £12 ULEZ if I had to. Network SE can suck my balls
    You haven't travelled by train for a while, Network SE was disbanded in 1994.

• Sponsored links:

• Your be knackered on Boxing Day when we play at home, no trains.
  • iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

It’s a joke. 
    WUM then
    My wife, who is from Kerry, wonders if you’ve caught the Cork bug.
  • Rothko said:
    there is a park and ride, it’s called Valley Express 
    Valley Express isn’t really operating from within 25 miles of the ground and the club has cut the most used local pick-up, which was Swanley. In any event, even at its peak most people came from much further away (30-70 miles).

It just doesn’t stack up as a more local service because of the cost of hiring the vehicles. A park and ride would rely on repeat trips each matchday or it would also be too expensive.

We did run Valley Express from Essex for a number of years. It was very lightly used on the A12 and did not work at all on the A13 (although we did bring in numerous schools from the Basildon area).
    Any danger of a coach from Clacton-on-sea so I can get my Dad to a game?
  • Rothko said:
    On LTNs, DfT shovelled the money out of the door at the start of the pandemic, with an attitude of spend it quick or lose it. So you have some LTNs which have upset a few, and some LTNs which are working nicely 
    As did Kent, but not necessarily on LTNs.
  • Could anyone easily set out on a map what roads this would impact please?
  • Strikes me that this will just push more cars up beyond Charlton Park (Canberra Road) and towards Shooters Hill Road extending the walk to The Valley a few minutes but just relocating the problem. 
  • How about everyone comes in on electric scooters and we can pack them up and put under our seats (no throwing onto the pitch please) ?
  • iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

It’s a joke. 
    WUM then
    Highly unlikely, cos if she’s from Kerry she knows I’ll always be considered a blow in & therefore I can’t catch anything remotely Cork.
    Same as a sense of humour, you can’t marry into that 🤷‍♀️
  • clive said:
    Could anyone easily set out on a map what roads this would impact please?

Just re-inforces the view this is more about people parking for the station rather than football, with the fallout that some local residents are going to have to fork out for permits.
  • Sponsored links:

• iainment said:
    iainment said:
    Good for you but not everyone lives within a few miles of the ground .
    I think public transport goes more than a few miles though. 😎
    And costs considerably more than a freaking tank of petrol the further out you are
  • cafcfan said:
    The club need to challenge the council on this. Point One they should demand a reduction in business rates on the basis that the council is removing amenities that the business relies on for its customer base. Point Two, if this goes ahead they should threaten to cut all ties/connections/co-operation to the council's projects whether through the club or CACT.
    They could do, but they won't.
  • iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

It’s a joke. 
    WUM then
    Highly unlikely, cos if she’s from Kerry she knows I’ll always be considered a blow in & therefore I can’t catch anything remotely Cork.
    Same as a sense of humour, you can’t marry into that 🤷‍♀️
    You are an arse though, so Cork will suit you fine.
  • iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

It’s a joke. 
    Think that might be you.....
  • Live in Sidcup & been forced to abandon my old diesel car &  switch to the railway by the ULEZ restrictions.
    I qualify for the freedom pass.

So been reading this thread with a smug smile getting bigger  & bigger
    Said smile disappeared when it was pointed out, no trains on Boxing day, is that correct?
  • Live in Sidcup & been forced to abandon my old diesel car &  switch to the railway by the ULEZ restrictions.
    I qualify for the freedom pass.

So been reading this thread with a smug smile getting bigger  & bigger
    Said smile disappeared when it was pointed out, no trains on Boxing day, is that correct?
    Yes https://www.thetrainline.com/trains/great-britain/christmas-and-new-year
  • iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

It’s a joke. 
    Think that might be you.....
    Oh well, that put me in my box.
  • iainment said:

That's not how you spell "golfie".
  • edited November 2021
    clb74 said:
    Do we do jokes on Charltonlife?
    Iainment apparently don't!

Anyways I think we should move, anyone know of a ground we could use, with a regular bus service, and which has superior facilities and a playing field in first class condition too?
  • All this talk about boxing day but we are away to Wimbledon that day.