Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

More Controlled Parking Restrictions for Charlton

Comments

• Options
    iainment said:
    Or fans could get to the Valley by public transport, cycling or walking. All of which I do from time to time.
    Good for you but not everyone lives within a few miles of the ground .
    I think public transport goes more than a few miles though. 😎
  • Options
    The club need to challenge the council on this. Point One they should demand a reduction in business rates on the basis that the council is removing amenities that the business relies on for its customer base. Point Two, if this goes ahead they should threaten to cut all ties/connections/co-operation to the council's projects whether through the club or CACT.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    The club need to challenge the council on this. Point One they should demand a reduction in business rates on the basis that the council is removing amenities that the business relies on for its customer base. Point Two, if this goes ahead they should threaten to cut all ties/connections/co-operation to the council's projects whether through the club or CACT.
    Troll la lol la lol

The club should be promoting other ways to get to The Valley other than private cars, which Valley Express is good way of doing it. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    cafcfan said:
    Troll la lol la lol

The club should be promoting other ways to get to The Valley other than private cars, which Valley Express is good way of doing it. 
    Yeah right.
    So, in my case, how many Valley Express routes are there from Essex? Basically, if it became sufficiently difficult/expensive to use my car to get to The Valley, I just would not attend. And at my age, I'm not fecking about on the failing public transport system.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    Or fans could get to the Valley by public transport, cycling or walking. All of which I do from time to time.

For once, I attended Saturday's match by Train with my son. 2 returns from Rainham (kent) cost me £53:00, whereas the alternative is about £15 in petrol. Maybe if they made our railways more affordable we might just use them a bit more. It would still work out cheaper if I were to drive, pay for parking and even the £12 ULEZ if I had to. Network SE can suck my balls
    You haven't travelled by train for a while, Network SE was disbanded in 1994.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think, of course, public transport should be cheaper and easier. But whether it is or isn’t the use of cars for leisure journeys is going to be something that becomes more and more difficult. That is if COP26 means anything.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Well jolly hockey sticks for you. 

I live less than 5 min walk from my mainline station but unfortunately its not on the Charlton line. It takes 3 changes to get to Charlton station for a cost of £10. 

Too far to walk
    Support your local team then, glory hunter!

;)
  • Options
    Public transport does need to be both better and cheaper in general. This is a specific example of where the system is not good enough or affordable enough to do its job. 

I agree with discouraging car travel where possible for environmental, air quality and congestion reasons. But, its obvious to anyone that this can only be done if there is a viable alternative. There is clearly not in this case. 
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    Not always. I should know I’m a railway engineer. 
  • Options
    Unless you already have a train season ticket, or live incredibly close, then train is not a economical option for the vast many. Equally, buses are only any good if you live with 5-10 miles of the ground.

What is needed is a decent park and ride scheme. It's criminal that Greenwich council can continue to punish motorists without providing any suitable alternatives. A huge chunk of Charlton's support lives in North Kent. If I were to get the train it would double my match day costs instantly, that's just not a tenable business plan. If I had to get the train I doubt I'd get to any games, and if I did make any then I'd be very reluctant to spend anything in the ground having already spent a fortune just getting there.

For example, I live in Kemlsey, Sittingbourne. 47 miles and a 1 hour drive from the Valley. My hybrid doesn't incur ULEZ and gets decent MPG, so I'm looking at around £10 in fuel. If we were to get the train it's 1hr 40 mins and 2 changes for £30 in fares. I'd have to live within the M25 (on the right line, and within walking distance of the station) before the train became cheaper and quicker than driving.

Now if the club or council offered a park and ride scheme where I was parking somewhere near the Bexley/Greenwich border and total price for parking and bus was less than £10 for the pair of us, then I might be tempted.
  • Options
    there is a park and ride, it’s called Valley Express 
  • Options
    iainment said:
    I think, of course, public transport should be cheaper and easier. But whether it is or isn’t the use of cars for leisure journeys is going to be something that becomes more and more difficult. That is if COP26 means anything.
    I'm personally not bothered about the price of public transport being cheaper its £5.40 return for me.
    Just getting fed up with 1 in 3 journeys taking longer than they should.
    It's the main reason why I've not yet done a midweek home game yet.
  • Options
    I don't understand why terms such as 'punishing motorists' are used? Maybe the council is doing it for the benefit of the residents they are there to serve? In my experience, CPZs are brought in where the majority of residents want them, after consultation. It would be a foolish political strategy of any council administration to do things that the people who vote in elections don't want. Residents live on those same streets 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. Fans park on those streets what - 30 times a year max, for a few hours at a time? And many of those same fans, as this thread shows, don't even live in the borough. So...who should the local council prioritise? And I speak as a fan who sometimes drives to games and sometimes takes the train.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Rothko said:
    Valley Express isn’t really operating from within 25 miles of the ground and the club has cut the most used local pick-up, which was Swanley. In any event, even at its peak most people came from much further away (30-70 miles).

It just doesn’t stack up as a more local service because of the cost of hiring the vehicles. A park and ride would rely on repeat trips each matchday or it would also be too expensive.

We did run Valley Express from Essex for a number of years. It was very lightly used on the A12 and did not work at all on the A13 (although we did bring in numerous schools from the Basildon area).
  • Options
    The CPZ is being brought in as those roads are being used as car parks for Charlton Station and North Greenwich, not to spite people who think getting the train a few times on a Saturday
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Valley Express isn’t really operating from within 25 miles of the ground and the club has cut the most used local pick-up, which was Swanley. In any event, even at its peak most people came from much further away (40-70 miles).

It just doesn’t stack up as local shuttle service because of the cost of hiring the vehicles. A park and ride would rely on repeat trips each matchday or it would also be too expensive.

We did run Valley Express from Essex for a number of years. It was very lightly used on the A12 and did not work at all on the A13 (although we did bring in numerous schools from the Basildon area).
    But Andy, coming in from Sittingbourne, it pretty much is

• Options
    edited November 2021
    @kielyskickingboots I would normally agree with you here but unfortunately this isn't the case in Greenwich. It is a strong labour council and as such pretty much does what it likes, as it's not going to get voted out. There is currently all manner of parking/LTN/car controlled 'stuff' going on in the Borough and most of it is implemented as part of a consultation, instead of after a consultation.  In the case of proposed road blocks (to create a 'super LTN') in east Greenwich that massively impacted residents of all streets north of the rail line and south of trafalgar road, it produced the most bias feedback form it could to 'filter out' objections to the scheme. Fortunately it's been called out on this and has admitted 'an error' and now it's back to the drawing board.  Residents firmly against it, but Greenwich (and all London councils) receive money from TFL for all 'anti car/road improvement measures' that they put in place and so have a natural bias towards implementing them.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    There are legal restrictions on what income from street parking and enforcement can be used for - essentially it has to be reinvested in highways and related costs. 
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

It may surprise some of you but I live in Southampton.
    My son, grandson and me are season ticket holders so travel up for home games.
    It costs around £25 in fuel for the three of us whereas to go by public transport would cost around £150-£160 for the three of us plus parking at the station.
    If you would like to help out with the cost we'll travel by train to every home game. Unfortunately cycling and walking are probably not an option.
    I've already had to buy a new car because of the ULEZ.
    So thankyou for your suggestion but I'll file it under gfy.
    Even so why should locals have to put up with you parking outside their house and inconveniencing them?
    To your first point the car I bought is a hybrid.

To your second point I always park the other side of Charlton park on the side of the road by the park so I'm not parked directly outside any ones house.
    My car is taxed, MOT'd and insured and I park it legally.

Anything else you want to moan about?
    Don’t think so. But something will probably come up. 

Shouldn’t you support your local team? 🙂
  • Options
    @kielyskickingboots I would normally agree with you here but unfortunately this isn't the case in Greenwich. It is a strong labour council and as such pretty much does what it likes, as it's not going to get voted out. There is currently all manner of parking/LTN/car controlled 'stuff' going on in the Borough and most of it is implemented as part of a consultation, instead of after a consultation.  In the case of proposed road blocks (to create a 'super LTN') in east Greenwich that massively impacted residents of all streets north of the rail line and south of trafalgar road, it produced the most bias feedback form it could to 'filter out' objections to the scheme. Fortunately it's been called out on this and has admitted 'an error' and now it's back to the drawing board.  Residents firmly against it, but Greenwich (and all London councils) receive money from TFL for all 'anti car/road improvement measures' that they put in place and so have a natural bias towards implementing them.
    Kent County Council - which is heavily Tory - introduced a number of road schemes (including in Thanet) without adequate consultation in the same period and was forced to withdraw them by the public response. In part this was the fault of the government which funded them and set the timescales. 
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

It may surprise some of you but I live in Southampton.
    My son, grandson and me are season ticket holders so travel up for home games.
    It costs around £25 in fuel for the three of us whereas to go by public transport would cost around £150-£160 for the three of us plus parking at the station.
    If you would like to help out with the cost we'll travel by train to every home game. Unfortunately cycling and walking are probably not an option.
    I've already had to buy a new car because of the ULEZ.
    So thankyou for your suggestion but I'll file it under gfy.
    Even so why should locals have to put up with you parking outside their house and inconveniencing them?
    To your first point the car I bought is a hybrid.

To your second point I always park the other side of Charlton park on the side of the road by the park so I'm not parked directly outside any ones house.
    My car is taxed, MOT'd and insured and I park it legally.

Anything else you want to moan about?
    Don’t think so. But something will probably come up. 

Shouldn’t you support your local team? 🙂
    Surely you’re just a WUM at this point?
    Otherwise I find that last comment really insulting, god knows how Southampton Addick must feel?
    It’s a joke.