Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Morecambe v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 23 November 2021

Comments

• Options
    TELTEL
    edited November 2021
    Funny old game. Who would have thought that 5 weeks ago we would be thinking a draw at Morecombe would feel like a defeat. 

We looked tired early on. Maybe the extra effort on Saturday took its toll. 

Onward to Shrewsbury. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Jackson got it wrong first half playing Gunter up against Stockton. Rectified that 2nd half.....defensive injuries piling up for us  

Zonal marking doesn't work like that.
    I agree Famewo on Stockton would be your desired match up as Gunter is a stand in CB.
  • Options
    Thought CBT was disappointing as well. Comes on with fresh legs and still got bullied by their LB. Need Leko back
  • Options
    Thought we looked a little leggy across the park to be honest, but 1 point is better than we would have got a month ago!
    The ref I thought was abysmal in fact not as good as that!!
    If we can get a win on Saturday that'll be 7 points this week from a possible 9. JJ record is played 6 won 4 drawn 2, we have to accept that's a good set of stats.
    Yes Im disappointed we lost a 2 goal lead....but I think Saturday will be a great opportunity to get another win, this team is on the move....and by end of the year I think we'll be around the play-off places - 8th/9th is my best guess. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kirk getting pelters for not influencing a game in his short time on the pitch when other players didnt who were on there a lot longer is a joke. 

Second half wasnt good enough at all though. These games will happen but Morecambe were turd. More our fault for not killing the game off. 

Dust off, rest up and get ready for Shrewsbury.
    Not to mention Kirk is effectively being shoe horned into a role that he's not familiar with.

Can say the same about the likes of Gunter | Clare | Purrington, but others adapt easier than others
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Jackson got it wrong first half playing Gunter up against Stockton. Rectified that 2nd half.....defensive injuries piling up for us  

Zonal marking doesn't work like that.
    I agree Famewo on Stockton would be your desired match up as Gunter is a stand in CB.
    Mate he played him in the middle of the back three where he knew Stockton would be playing
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Scott Minto: You should be absoluely delighted with what's happened so far
    Jacko: Yeah I am Scott

Need to tell that to your face Johnnie :)
    Just been told that Hasselbaink is now the No.1 target after we couldn't win that one
    So TS made that decision in the last hour and someone told you ? Total cobblers  
    I really should have added an emoji to that post
    Look forward to Ronnie Moore passing it off as gospel in the next manager thread tomorrow though. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Macca is a great shotstopper and even pulled off a cracking assist tonight.

We're unlikely to get promoted with a keeper who never comes for crosses, though, and I've honestly seen enough to know he never will.
    So agree with this. 

He is a very good shot stopper but his refusal or inability (I'm not sure which) to come for crosses is going to cost us big time in the games ahead. 
  • Options
    I think Kirk is under the spotlight as he had so much time and space with the ball. Made no clever runs inside. All easy and quite lazy play. We needed drive. Another Gilbey!
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Created enough and got the ball into the box often enough to score more than two. If Stockley was playing I think we would have done so.

Two poor goals conceded, particularly the first, but Stockton vs Gunter was always a mis-match and it was a bad night for Pearce to be missing who would've absolutely relished the battle, and would've won it imho. Second one never should've happened because there was a clear foul on Clare when the ball went out for the corner.

Can't hide behind bad refereeing, but it undeniably affected the result tonight.

A bit of a negative undertone to this thread and the match thread but I thought despite being at about 80%, clearly due to fatigue, we did more than enough to win, but Morecambe defended in numbers and took basically their only two chances. A mid-week point up north is never a bad result, especially as it consolidates the great win on Saturday.

Hopefully the team looks a bit fresher by Saturday but, although that was a little bit disappointing tonight, it would be in the top 3 performances under Adkins which shows you how far we've come.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Just been told that Hasselbaink is now the No.1 target after we couldn't win that one
    I really should have added an emoji to that post - Apologies all, didnt think I'd need to.
    You should have 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    aliwibble said:

Just been told that Hasselbaink is now the No.1 target after we couldnt win that one
    Jesus Christ, what is wrong with our fans??
  • Options
    The Referee was a total disgrace.
    our fans were magnificent 
    we were 2-0 up,
    and if we had a proper striker we would have won at least 4-2.
    Disappointing but still 14 out of 18 for JJ.
    we have to win on Saturday 👍👍
  • Options
    Dominated the game really but didn’t look potent around their box, I’ve never rated Davison and he continues to endorse that opinion, quietest player on Sat and toothless tonight, Washington needs a bigger/ central presence alongside him to make the most of (and allow/ facilitate) all his wide/ channel running. 

We needed one of those two to take one of the half chances they had getting into the box but not having the quality to get the space required to get a decent shot away from a defender. 

Thought we looked in control though and other than set pieces they didn’t threaten, once they equalised though they defended very well once we started to actually show urgency, but we were the aggressors. 

Still a world above anything under Adkins - the comparable is Gills away when we dominated first half , didn’t put them to bed, then got annihilated second half and were very fortunate not to lose. 

Lots more to come with good players frustrating, but frustrating as it was a good chance to close more points towards the top. Need 4 wins from 4 now to meet my psychological halfway mark and target of 35 points to be (vaguely) on course for play offs… 

#announcejacko
  • Options
    Not at the races second half think Jackson left it to late to make changes when it was clear we were struggling .. Lee and Gilbey failed to make real
    impression , Davison was poor

saying that both goals questionable looked like clear fouls leading up to them 

• Options
    I think it shows we were down to the bare bones defensively but whilst we were not at our best, we deserved to win it. Credit to Morecombe, that was the only way they could get anything out of the game, and the ref helped them, but they are not there to let us win. As people are saying, a win on Saturday and the point is decent. 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    aliwibble said:

Just been told that Hasselbaink is now the No.1 target after we couldnt win that one
    Jesus Christ, what is wrong with our fans??
    To be fair it can be difficult to judge someone's tone when just reading a response without hearing how its said. 
  • Options
    Leggy performance, but one where we missed Pearce and Stockley at both ends, as we were weak in the air, both defensively and in attack.

CBT at least tried to affect the game, but Kirk looks shot at the moment. There was masses of space in front of him to run into, but he never did and the Morecambe defenders knew he wouldn't as well. 

Davison struggled, but then he wasn't much better on Saturday but there his inadequacies weren't an issue as we won.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Not at the races second half think Jackson left it to late to make changes when it was clear we were struggling .. Lee and Gilbey failed to make real
    impression , Davison was poor

saying that both goals questionable looked like clear fouls leading up to them 

Not at the races second half ?
    Lee and Gilbey failed to make an impression? We spent long periods with the ball and tried to work an opening. Gilbey, Dobson and Lee were impressive even if the clinical finish couldn't come 2nd half.

As I have mainly seen us lose all season I couldn't believe how much we had improved, even though it was two poor lapses for their goals.