Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Morecambe v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 23 November 2021

Comments

• Davison doesn’t have a shot on him which is unfortunate for a striker
    I really don't know how he has survived this long at the club. Poor old Schwartz was hammered on here for doing much the same thing. But because Davison is "one of our own" we must stick by him & play him every week. Look at the difference between Davison & Stockton. One caused our defense all sorts of problems & the other might as well have not been on the pitch 

I said it back in July & I'll say it again. Our recruitment in the summer in relation to our strikers was more than woeful. Didnt replace last seasons top goalscorer & then let our 4th striker leave after the transfer deadline. This evening we were all banking on a rookie (Burstow) to save our bacon. 

Just not good enough.
    I can't say I've heard you say that before.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    paulfox said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Shit game. Shit performance, thrown away 2 points. 
    A little dramatic Dazzler, admittedly not great but I don’t think as bad as you suggest.
    Nah but it was a 'scrappy game, a scrappy performance, thrown away 2 points'

Really not pleased to see Jackson putting players in who looked shattered from the off. 
    And what changes would YOU have made after the game on Saturday before tonight
  • About the "added on time" debate.

I noticed that when their announcer said there was 3 mins added on time the clock on the tv (CAFC player ?) said around 89.50 & I did not see any board go up. Just wondering whether the clock was wrong or didn't start on time when play kicked off for the 2nd half as that would count for the ref blowing at around 92.50.

Just because a clock on your tv says what time it is it doesnt have to mean that that is the actual time. 
  • edited November 2021
    About the "added on time" debate.

I noticed that when their announcer said there was 3 mins added on time the clock on the tv (CAFC player ?) said around 89.50 & I did not see any board go up. Just wondering whether the clock was wrong or didn't start on time when play kicked off for the 2nd half as that would count for the ref blowing at around 92.50.

Just because a clock on your tv says what time it is it doesnt have to mean that that is the actual time. 
    These things are much easier to see when you are at the ground  and paying 20 pounds for a match day ticket instead of watching it on a stream for a tenner
  • edited November 2021
    mendonca said:
    For the pen, Pearce would have been canny enough to have fallen over on the shirt pull and won a free kick. He would have loved battle with Stockton 
    Or have punched him. You never know with Pearcy!
    I had a quick chat with my Mum and Dad after the game, and my Dad said exactly what AFKA did about the shirt pull, although Mum agreed with me that there was a good chance that both Stockton and Pearce would've got sent off at some point, particularly with that ref.
  • edited November 2021
    shirty5 said:
    At the game and awaiting a train back to Lancaster.

Boys looked mentally knackered with 20 to go but still kept going till the end. Saturday clearly took his toll but 14 points in the last 6 is top 2 form.

Enjoyable trip with the old faces up here tonight. Can’t beat it with the cold air on your flesh 
    Could have stayed in the warm and watched it on Charlton TV 😉
    Rules you out over the age of 50, being a Judith Chambers or afraid to spent over a ton on an away day

• Not at the races second half think Jackson left it to late to make changes when it was clear we were struggling .. Lee and Gilbey failed to make real
    impression , Davison was poor

saying that both goals questionable looked like clear fouls leading up to them 

What did you make of that strong behind us in the second half?

• edited November 2021
    An odd game. Missed the first goal as was just buying a tea (schoolboy error). Seeing the second go in I thought blimey maybe gonna put these to the sword, then the pen was given which seemed fair in real time. At 2-1 I felt it wasn't going to be our night and so it proved. Second half they came out changed in attitude and although we had a go, it achieved the grand total of bugger all. Nothing tactical in shape or subs seemed to effect a positive change. The midfield was so quiet for the second half and every time we got into or around their box, their defence managed to stab a foot in the way and shots just repeatedly hit the first man, usually 2 feet away. The midfield which in recent games have been exceptionally good were way off the boil. 

Players looked way off the recent tempo and i'd like to see the metre coverage stats compared to Burton or Plymouth games. We had 68% possession and did precious little productive with it. Probably always likely with Stockley, who I still don't believe is worthy of being our number one striker. He's a foil for a striker, but not a 25-30 goal a season man. As all pundits, managers, players will tell you, never take goals out of a team. Aneke going was always going to be hard to replace and it will show over a season. If Sandgaard wants success (top 6) he needs to do more than sign JJ in January. 

Not a bad result, but frustrating to let a 2 goal lead slip. 

The atmosphere was great from the sitting area, the same as at Burton. So pleasing to look out behind the goal and hear a packed away end with Charlton in. 

Safe journey home. 
    NB
    That Supporters coach driver must have been watching the Mercedes F1 team as he had his coach filled and was away, before we'd walked a matter of 400 yards to our car and we only caught them up a few miles down the road. 

• Sponsored links:

• Feel like we were robbed tonight.

Gunter was extremely weak to get bullied like that but it is a blatant foul on him and then looked like a foul on Clare for the corner they scored from. Other than that they didn't threaten at all and we were dominant. Deserved the win and don't think anyone had a poor game tbh except when defending that corner. 
  • Thought we looked very tired, especially DJ.
  • Expectation levels risen from the depths of shitness we endured under Adkins but I’m never gonna be happy in league one with a point at Morecambe (unless it wins us promotion or sends the scum down) 
    Gutted we didn’t get the 3 points to get nearer the exit from this shithouse league .
    I thought it was total guff with plenty of misplaced passes and Davison was pipped by the ref for the shittiest performance .
    Clare was exceptional but the rest looked like they’d started to be weaned of their EPO .
    Full respect to the travelling fans for that long trip , you deserved a win .

1%    Top 2
    24%  Play offs 
    70% 7th-12th
    5%   13th-20th
  • LoOkOuT said:
    Just shy of 800 Addicks followed Johnnie Jackson’s men up to the windswept
    Objection your honour 
  • 110 is within the realm of “just shy”.

Case dismissed!
  • Charlie kirk is a slow left attacking midfielder of sorts. a link up player as one other person said
  • Also worth noting that league one is a tough league with a lot of games and we can't win every time. Look at some of the results last night, Sunderland drew at Shrewsbury who had 10 men for the entire second half, Wigan drew at Cambridge.

The worry for me is that we need to get some players back as we now play Saturday, Tuesday, Friday, Tuesday, Saturday until the 11th December. Players like Purrington, Famewo, Washington who we may like to rest for the cup games might need to end up playing/in the squad because of a lack of other options.

Stockley of course will return, but hopefully Pearce and Leko aren't far off either.
  • As night follows day - the performance and result was almost to be expected last night
    It was no great surprise that Morecambe was somewhat of an anti climax.  When i saw club tweet about 666 fans making the trip I wasn't sure if it's was a good omen or bad .... would Jacko's 666 squadron or 666 beast turn up at the Shrimps? I guess a bit of both, a good first half then Fatigue, injuries, Stockley suspension and a woeful Davidson produced a somewhat disappointing 2nd half. It's less than ideal that team will travel back today, probably have Thursday at the training ground and Friday travel to Shrewsbury, with this in mind I will happy hope  for a draw (and more of course) on Saturday, which would make it the Jackos unbeaten run continues. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Thought we were miles the better side, the herculean effort put in on Saturday became a factor coupled with the distance travelled. A lot of the players were game but running on fumes. I was interested to see if Stockton was a flash in the pan and what he was about and he was head and shoulders their best player and outlet, a big horrible handful and one thats full of confidence was always going to spell trouble at some point for our patchwork back 3. 

Our away support has been fantastic over the last few years and it was again last night. Sung all game and gave the players all the support they could want. Lots of old school songs as well 
  • You can see all the frustration caused by winning now pouring out of Golfie at the moment of not winning.  
  • shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    At the game and awaiting a train back to Lancaster.

Boys looked mentally knackered with 20 to go but still kept going till the end. Saturday clearly took his toll but 14 points in the last 6 is top 2 form.

Enjoyable trip with the old faces up here tonight. Can’t beat it with the cold air on your flesh 
    Could have stayed in the warm and watched it on Charlton TV 😉
    Rules you out over the age of 50, being a Judith Chambers or afraid to spent over a ton on an away day
    "Afraid to spend over a ton on an away day" 

Morecambe will have cost a lot more than a ton, people have more important things to spend money on in the build up to Christmas, not everyone has the same levels of disposable income that it seems you appear to.

How about you live your life and stop telling people how to spend their hard earned money.
  • edited November 2021
    I'm interested in what the sober guys made of that performances because I thought Curbs and Brownie were judging the performance as if we were a top 2 team. 

*"We win tonight then we win Saturday"
    Really ! Since when has it been that easy ?

Before our stand in CB Gunter got bullied it was easy, but should JJ have played Deji last night and risked him getting battered by Stockton ? Maybe, but JJ has made so many good calls and DJ made a fantastic pass to Washington before he was taken off and CBT didn't lose the ball once when coming on. When was the last time we were pushing for a win in the last quarter of an away game without just hitting aimless long passes to Stockley ? Both Lee and Washington nearly unlocked their defence and Conor's shot so nearly found the net late on.

If it wasn't for two lapses over the 92 minutes, (WTF was the referee doing blowing early when we are having a shot at goal )? Then that was a comfortable win. 

I said in preview its difficult with only one CB especially away from home and without Stockley at defending set pieces and that was our undoing and why 3 points didn't happen.

I was encouraged the amount of control we had, we continued to probe and for large parts of the 2nd half they were camped in their own half as we strung a myriad of passes together. They played for a point at home which shows you how much we have improved under our next full time manager.

Is it Deji Elerewe time ? I think it will have to be because no way should Purrington go back 3 when he has been so successful as a wing back striker !  Kirk is an inverse winger and with Jayden that may have worked but Davison isn't or wasn't sharp in the box last night so difficult for Charlie to impress in his cameo.

The taming of the Shrews next and hopefully no more injuries and Leko can be involved at some point. 

* Of course Jacko tells the team they can win both matches and we should've but players missing harmed our chances of 3 points. A CB and up front we were short but Stockley was foolish and we paid the price.
  • Charlie kirk is a slow left attacking midfielder of sorts. a link up player as one other person said
    A downgrade on Jonny William's

• For all the clowns having a crack at Kirk, perhaps bear in mind he was on the pitch for the last 12 minutes.

Twelve minutes.

Seriously.
    Ever heard of David Fairclough.. ?
  • For all the clowns having a crack at Kirk, perhaps bear in mind he was on the pitch for the last 12 minutes.

Twelve minutes.

Seriously.
    Ever heard of David Fairclough.. ?
    Any positives from last night?