Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Morecambe v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 23 November 2021

Comments

• Options
    Fatigued performance. Stockley would have been useful in both boxes tonight. 

Next game we need to adjust the defence so Gunter not in the middle of the 3.
    He was in the centre? Gunter? My God, why not Famewo, our remaining recognised and generally trustworthy centre back?
    I would assume that Jacko thought having the left footer on the left side of the 3 was a better balance. Can see why he did it particularly as that is what we did successfully on Saturday when Pearce went off.
  • Options
    Disappointing and frustrating are two words I’d use to describe last nights performance. In the second half, I just wanted someone to have a shot because Morecombe were just packing the penalty box with all outfield players every time we got the ball. They were there for the taking and we just weren’t ruthless enough. Onto Shrewsbury… COYR
  • Options
    About the "added on time" debate.

I noticed that when their announcer said there was 3 mins added on time the clock on the tv (CAFC player ?) said around 89.50 & I did not see any board go up. Just wondering whether the clock was wrong or didn't start on time when play kicked off for the 2nd half as that would count for the ref blowing at around 92.50.

Just because a clock on your tv says what time it is it doesnt have to mean that that is the actual time. 
    That's a reasonable point per se. 

However it just underlines my point, and the remedy. We pay for this circus. At the very least we all deserve to know what the effing time is, or rather what time they think it is.
    I think we were the first game to finish last night which is unheard of. The ref seemed very keen to blow and ensure a home point.
  • Options
    Terrific support from those up there, though it’s two games in a row now I proper hate that der der der der der der der der derrrr song and fear it’s becoming a permanent fixture :-( 
    What's the Der Der Der Der Der  song?

Is it like the die die die die die or das das das das das songs?
  • Options
    Its all been said - felt like it was going to be a draw throughout the second half and it was - didn't have the energy left to be able to paper over the cracks in our patched up defence and strike force but we still ended the game on top and pushing for the winner - win at home, draw away is promotion form and i don't think there was much JJ got wrong last night other than maybe not getting Burstow on sooner. In hindsight, he could have started Famewo in the middle but he tried to limit the dirsuption to our successful formula which is fair enough - be good to get Leko and Stockley back and fingers crossed for Pearce. Just got to try and patch up and grind a win out on Saturday and we can get back to Jackson Juggernault mode against Gateshead and Ipswich. The Papa Johns is irrelevant of course.         
  • Options
    All your reports are great and thank you all so much.

However  I believe that most do need the postscript of...

"And the referee was a useless twat"
  • Options
    Or Morecambe tbf! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All your reports are great and thank you all so much.

However  I believe that most do need the postscript of...

"And the referee was a useless twat"
    To be fair I did point this out to him on numerous occasions during the match. I also said that it would be nice to 'C You Next Tuesday' to which he said thanks for all the constructive comments. 

He did come in for some dogs abuse and few would defend his performance. JJ is holding his counsel and I very much doubt that th big time Charlie's in the Premier League would bite their tongue's in the same circumstances. Wonder what Sandgaard thinks of the refs.
  • Options
    imageimageimageimage

690 Addicks made the long journey to make plenty of noise this evening Thank you for your incredible support, have a safe journey home and we'll see you at Shrewsbury!
  • Options

Thank you for the support from the travelling fans Disappointing to only come away with a point. Time to get ready for Saturday
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Think people are being very harsh on Kirk personally 
    Yup.  Not been his biggest fan since he came here, but my seat was level with the edge of the penalty area, so I had a good view of him trying to cut in.  Their box was rammed and there was very little space to cross into.  All our attacks down the left after Purrington reverted to centre back involved players cutting in on their right.  I don’t really see what he could’ve done other than being able to magically beat 2 or 3 players in a tight space.  Came on and didn’t shy away from the ball which given how his confidence has been knocked given his time to date here, was good to see.

Definitely a player we should try and put our arm around and build up, rather than put him down at the moment.  You never know, may start to shine 
    You've missed the point.
    He didn't once attempt to go wide, get behind them and get in a cross or run into the box. 
    Totally predictable, passing the ball sideways or backwards. 

As I mentioned, the box looked totally rammed from where I sat level with the penalty area.  He held a wide position, often receiving the ball wide on the left and with no left foot, all he could do was cut in, and see a sea of red.  It wasn’t just him.  Elliott Lee was also trying to find space down the left and kept having to check back when he got to the byline.  To me it looked like no space, and I would say CBT also came up against this toward the end after beating his man a couple of times when he first came on. 

I’m not a big fan of Kirk, but I don’t think he could’ve done much else when he came on and unfortunately, he’s a bit of target because of his inconspicuous start here.  

Given the turnaround under Jackson, I’m willing to give the new lads that looked lost under Adkins, a bit of a chance to show us what they can do.  
  • Options
    good result, made even better for  playing with a patched up defence .. great to see Washington thriving in a 2 man attack even without Stockley alongside ..  JJ has really got HIS squad firing
  • Options
    Posting without reading:

That ref was absolutely shocking. He was so biased, it reminded me of when I used to play Sunday League and the opposition's manager would ref the game if none were appointed. By far, the worst we've had all season..............and that includes Mr Kettle, who at least is shit to both clubs.

We could really do with some reinforcements and January can't come quick enough. As it stands, it's evident that Davison isn't good enough for this level. That could well change with experience, but not right now.

• Options
    Goes to show how much the level of expectation has changed in the last few weeks. Yes it was a disappointing result as the game was there for the taking however we are still unbeaten and if we can get 3 points on Saturday ( which I'm sure we will ) then 7 pts from the last 9 available would be a great return. The lads looked tired imo and maybe JJ needs to start with a few fresh legs as tiredness could be an issue again at the weekend. Kirk seems like he needs a confidence boost and I would start him on Saturday and see if he can play himself into some form
  • Options
    I wonder if anyone thinks that not recruiting in a more timely fashion in the summer and possibly not getting a more established striker has caused any of our difficulties?
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    Yup.  Not been his biggest fan since he came here, but my seat was level with the edge of the penalty area, so I had a good view of him trying to cut in.  Their box was rammed and there was very little space to cross into.  All our attacks down the left after Purrington reverted to centre back involved players cutting in on their right.  I don’t really see what he could’ve done other than being able to magically beat 2 or 3 players in a tight space.  Came on and didn’t shy away from the ball which given how his confidence has been knocked given his time to date here, was good to see.

Definitely a player we should try and put our arm around and build up, rather than put him down at the moment.  You never know, may start to shine 
    You've missed the point.
    He didn't once attempt to go wide, get behind them and get in a cross or run into the box. 

As I mentioned, the box looked totally rammed from where I sat level with the penalty area.  He held a wide position, often receiving the ball wide on the left and with no left foot, all he could do was cut in, and see a sea of red.  It wasn’t just him.  Elliott Lee was also trying to find space down the left and kept having to check back when he got to the byline.  To me it looked like no space, and I would say CBT also came up against this toward the end after beating his man a couple of times when he first came on. 

I’m not a big fan of Kirk, but I don’t think he could’ve done much else when he came on and unfortunately, he’s a bit of target because of his inconspicuous start here.  

Given the turnaround under Jackson, I’m willing to give the new lads that looked lost under Adkins, a bit of a chance to show us what they can do.  
    Lee did put a couple of left foot crosses.

Crewe have a brilliant academy. I don't believe that any player would come through their ranks without some ability with his wrong foot. Enough to give opposition defenders something to think about 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So, what a disappointing performance.
    Kirk given yet another chance to show what he can do, but once again failed to impress.
    Got a couple of Lol’s for my post.
    Believe you me…..there’s nothing to laugh about.😕 
    Your posts are normally great, but you can’t draw any conclusions from that 12 mins. Give the kid a break. 👍
  • Options
    The draw is only gutting in that we were 0-2 up. Given where we were a few weeks ago I hope the squad can recharge ahead of Saturday and go again. Humbled by the dedication (and noise) of our traveling support.

Under JJ it’s been good to be an Addick again.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:

You've missed the point.

Yes, I'm willing to give them all a chance.
    But as you say if Kirk couldn't do much else then he is of limited use.
    If the opposition know he will try and cut in every time, he's easily stopped, as demonstarated yesterday. 
  • Options
    I wonder if anyone thinks that not recruiting in a more timely fashion in the summer and possibly not getting a more established striker has caused any of our difficulties?
    Surely, nearly every Charlton fan thinks that. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
  • Options
    We are struggling to score from outside the box again this season. 

• Options
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:

You've missed the point.

If the opposition know he will try and cut in every time, he's easily stopped, as demonstarated yesterday. 
    Completely agree, Kirk did exactly the same thing every time so was ineffective. Yes, he didn't have long but he also saw a lot of the ball in the time he was on. His biggest issue is going to be this formation, I'd say more than anyone else in the squad it just does not suit him at all. I think the only position he could probably play is in the CAM role if Lee was unavailable. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:

You've missed the point.

I take it he played a similar role for Crewe, or was he on the right or behind a front two.

At the moment, it’s not working for him, but hopefully there is a role somewhere, because we’ve spent a fair bit on him in fees
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    If we had recruited early like Ipswich we could be flying high like them ;)
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:

You've missed the point.

I take it he played a similar role for Crewe, or was he on the right or behind a front two.

At the moment, it’s not working for him, but hopefully there is a role somewhere, because we’ve spent a fair bit on him in fees
    He played on the left wing, but his success was built on the over lapping wing back, who he either passed to or freed up space so Kirk could cut inside.