Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Morecambe v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 23 November 2021

Comments

• Options
    Drew the game for two simple reasons, lack of a finisher and a makeshift back three. We need the injured and suspended back. Maybe it was the level of our domination but Morecombe were shocking, poorest side I've seen this season which makes not taking three points more annoying.
  • Options
    Two dropped, but hey we didn’t lose. We still took them apart playing average. It’s history move on….. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Morecombe didn't change the way they played and realised they had to have bodies in the box which made it hard for us. We don't give that pen away and they would have had to open up and we probably would have won it comfortably. Gunter was at fault for the pen but the ref could have given the first foul by Stockton, but I accept you don't always get those. The corner they equalised from was bizarre. Clare got caught and how the ref didn't give a foul is a mystery. Mind you the mystery may have been solved when we saw the ref blow up before a massively low 3 minutes added time was up when there was a real chance we might have scored. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Davison is a dud, don’t really see what he’s good at. Would like a new striker to come in in January so we have a competent back up for Stockley, or even someone to compete with him.
    On tonights basis I'd go with Stockton as cover for Stockley - Washington / Burstow / Davison can then fight for the other spot

Washington and Davison though doesnt work as the latter isnt a target man
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2 points dropped. Kirk is pointless, is he a right footed left winger? Davison not taken bis chance in Stockley's absence. Lee, DJ and Dobson all shattered and it showed. 

Hard to see from the away end, but why didn't Craig come for the corner?

Decent away following and some flashes of brilliance from some of the lads. Think we all knew tonight would the match we struggled with.

We need to get the injured lads back so we have genuine quality on the bench, and sign a striker in jan. Do that and we could really start cooking. 
  • Options
    Poor game. I thought we did well not to lose it once they got it back to 2-2 but we had the best of the last 10 mins but the lack of quality up front means we couldnt force a winner.

Sorry to say we aren't a top 6 side. Still think we will finish somewhere around 10th to 12th. Look at the table & lots of teams above us have games in hand  & we are realistically 12 points off top 6. 

But seeing where we were a month ago I'll take mid table. If Sandgaard wants promotion he needs to spend money in January. We are at least 1 striker light - probably 2.
  • Options
    Almost forgot to add that Morecambe were absolute shit, about as much footballing ability as the Dog and Duck 3rd team.
  • Options
    We don't need to go in too heavy. 

We just needed some more quality in key areas. At the back and up top. 

Davison is getting less effective each game now for me. Kirk came on to do the exact same thing that Lee was doing on the left. 

A point is a point. We would have lost this under NA. It was a clear foul on Clare for their corner that led to the goal.
  • Options
    Shame we didnt have these players available

Even to rotate a couple of them on a Tuesday night after a game against the team at the top of the League...

Inniss, Lavelle, Pearce, Matthews, Leko, Forster-Caskey and Stockley all unavailable tonight. It limits the rotation options for #cafc.

— Richard Cawley (@RichCawleySLP) November 23, 2021
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    We can't be playing Gunter at centre half anymore, I thought we learnt that lesson last season.

It was a weird sort of game, Morecambe offered next to nothing and we dominated for large parts, but we looked sloppy and tired throughout. It's two points dropped. Onto the next. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Yeah, we were okay. I mean still better than under Adkins even though it was an off night. We lacked some quality in the final third. When we did get decent balls in there was no one to get a head on things. 

We missed Stockley, especially with them sitting so deep. We missed the three missing center backs. But injuries happen and this is still a decent enough squad to win at Morecambe. 

Man is Kirk frustrating. They know what you're gonna do mate. He just doesn't fit in this system. He needs an overlapping fullback and maybe an attacking midfielder or striker to create overloads so he can do...whatever it is he does (being harsh here, he cuts in on his right and scores goals). But with the back three we can't guarantee him those two other players. 

I wouldn't be too fussed if it wasn't for the fact that we were 2-0 up. And then the mistake from Gunter and then some poor defending from a set piece. They didn't create a whole lot. We were sloppy. Just frustrating.

Still, this is a good side. Possibly Pearce back Saturday. Sounds like Suoare and Leko are close. Imagine Matthews is close as well. If we play even a little better than we did tonight, we'll win more than we lose. 
  • Options
    It’s hard to win when the ref favours one side to the extent he did tonight. Obvious foul before their corner that led to their second. But I agree that we are desperately short on centre-halves. Davison simply not good enough, and Kirk a massive disappointment when he came on.
  • Options
    Just didn't click tonight and looked leggy. We were good value for our lead and comfortable then a soft penalty let's them back in it. After that we were scrappy with a lot of misplaced passes.

In the 2nd half we were unable to break down a more resolute Morecambe side who I thought overall were very poor. Still by far the better side and the only ones looking to play and football. Plenty of blocked shots and half chances but nothing that really worked the keeper.

Expectations had definitely been raised following Saturday but the effort put into that win showed tonight. Another point on the board but throwing away a 2 goal lead is always very disappointing.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Poor game. I thought we did well not to lose it once they got it back to 2-2 but we had the best of the last 10 mins but the lack of quality up front means we couldnt force a winner.

Sorry to say we aren't a top 6 side. Still think we will finish somewhere around 10th to 12th. Look at the table & lots of teams above us have games in hand  & we are realistically 12 points off top 6. 

But seeing where we were a month ago I'll take mid table. If Sandgaard wants promotion he needs to spend money in January. We are at least 1 striker light - probably 2.
    Because everyone used their games in hand so effectively against us last season...?
  • Options
    Normally I'd be well happy with an away point at a northern outpost on a cold, weekday night.

But not tonight. Morecambe were useless and that's 2 points thrown away.

And what can you say about that ref? Useless is putting it mildly. 

• Options
    i feel like saturday could be another fatigued performance
  • Options
    Watched the stream and the injuries at the back have come back to bite us, Also they all looked like a team coming down from a high as well and legs went early.
  • Options
    Shit game. Shit performance, thrown away 2 points.