Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Morecambe v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 23 November 2021

Comments

• How the hell didnt the ref give a foul on Clare instead of giving them the corner they scored from? Incompetent dickhead
    Exactly that. Some very strange decisions today.

We looked tired, but overall were still by far the better team. Had some great opportunities but seemed to overcomplicate it in trying to play through them all the time when they had bodies back. 

Oh well. Can't win them all.
  • Kirk is just a slow and obvious link up player.
  • edited November 2021
    We can't be playing Gunter at centre half anymore, I thought we learnt that lesson last season.

It was a weird sort of game, Morecambe offered next to nothing and we dominated for large parts, but we looked sloppy and tired throughout. It's two points dropped. Onto the next. 
    Not like we could really put anyone else there is it?
    Deji Elerewe

But then if he's shown to be iffy in training when dealing with a physical striker, then Stockton would have ended his career.
  • One word - Knackered. We were the better team but lacked that cutting edge . Davison was poor . On to Saturday 
  • vffvff
    edited November 2021
    Team looked tired. With our main centre backs in, Morecambe unlikely to score either goal. Referee missed clear fouls on Gunter and Clare.  Without those refereering decisions Morecambe don't score and game is won.

Soft penalty. Gunter could have done better but one of regular centre backs is not pushed back like that. Referee then gave a succession of soft free kicks and was inconsistent, giving cards to Charlton but ignoring similar.

Stockley in and Jason Pearce or Sam Lavelle in that game is won. Davisson maybe could have come off earlier for Mason Burstow. Passing was a bit sloppy. Charlton were better near the end with some better possession. Its a draw, with all the players missing its disappointing not to win but its still onwards and upwards. This team is still way better under Johnnie Jackson. 

• Poor game. I thought we did well not to lose it once they got it back to 2-2 but we had the best of the last 10 mins but the lack of quality up front means we couldnt force a winner.

Sorry to say we aren't a top 6 side. Still think we will finish somewhere around 10th to 12th. Look at the table & lots of teams above us have games in hand  & we are realistically 12 points off top 6. 

But seeing where we were a month ago I'll take mid table. If Sandgaard wants promotion he needs to spend money in January. We are at least 1 striker light - probably 2.
    This is one of your worst takes and that’s saying something. 
    Did Morecambe even have an effort on goal after it went 2-2?
  • Disappointing to throw away a 2 goal lead. Should be winning these games if we want to go up, not least because we were better than them, but also because we were 2-0 up. Dobson, Clare, Purrington, Gilbey, Washington all played a blinder. Gunter poor at crucial moments and Davison not really good enough. Hard to see why we have Kirk. Didn’t really add anything significant when he came on. Lee needs to take more care with his final pass. Hopefully we can get the 3 points on Saturday and it will feel like a decent week.
  • Leuth said:
    Macca is a great shotstopper and even pulled off a cracking assist tonight.

We're unlikely to get promoted with a keeper who never comes for crosses, though, and I've honestly seen enough to know he never will.
    Except we did with Kiely, never one to come off his line if he could avoid it....

• Sponsored links:

• Poor game. I thought we did well not to lose it once they got it back to 2-2 but we had the best of the last 10 mins but the lack of quality up front means we couldnt force a winner.

Sorry to say we aren't a top 6 side. Still think we will finish somewhere around 10th to 12th. Look at the table & lots of teams above us have games in hand  & we are realistically 12 points off top 6. 

But seeing where we were a month ago I'll take mid table. If Sandgaard wants promotion he needs to spend money in January. We are at least 1 striker light - probably 2.
    This is one of your worst takes and that’s saying something. 
    Did Morecambe even have an effort on goal after it went 2-2?
    Did Morecambe even have the ball in our half after it went to 2-2?
  • edited November 2021
    Always disappointed to throw away a 2-0 lead. Short term injuries are a huge problem. Hoping Jacko will look to freshen it up against Shrewsbury. If we win on Saturday, the 2 points dropped will be forgotten about.
  • Unbelievable for a ref at this level to blowing up when he did.

We looked tired. Gunter, Clare and Famewo as a back 3 against the cloggers from Morecambe were brave but add in Pearce, Innis or Lavelle in place of Gunter and we win that game.

Davison tries so hard I would love him to do well but we need better Stockley back up, have done all season.

Kirk disappointed with the time and space he had on the ball at the end, I was screaming for him to get down the line and he just Bambi's around then cuts back to his right.

5 wins and 2 draws from 7 is a phenemenal effort and even when we don't win like tonight you can see the effort and game plan which was lacking at the end of Adkins reign.
  • edited November 2021
    There was an obvious foul on us and the ref took an age to give it. I said to my son that his instinct was he didn't want to but he eventually realised it would have looked ridiculous not to so he gave it. I told him he worried me. A decent ref who didn't have a draw on his betting slip and we would have won that.
  • edited November 2021
    Gunter got bullied.

Morecambe offered nothing. Literally.

I struggle to see how Kirk fits into any position, with this formation Jacko has got us playing well in.

We looked sloppy and tired towards the end, following big shift Saturday.

Meh. But, I guess if you can’t win the game, don’t lose it.

• Sponsored links:

• Jackson got it wrong first half playing Gunter up against Stockton. Rectified that 2nd half.....defensive injuries piling up for us  
  • Leuth said:
    Macca is a great shotstopper and even pulled off a cracking assist tonight.

We're unlikely to get promoted with a keeper who never comes for crosses, though, and I've honestly seen enough to know he never will.
    Except we did with Kiely, never one to come off his line if he could avoid it....

I think you could argue fairly persuasively that aerial dominance is more important for a keeper at any professional level in 2021 than it was in 2001