Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The first album you bought with your own money!

12346»

Comments

• Options
    T.REX - ELECTRIC WARRIOR

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Led Zeppelin 2. My parents were not impressed, for some unfathomable reason.

Looking forward to @Redrobo post, since we used to listen to music together. I can remember he had Deep Purple in Rock, and the Moody Blues album from that time…
    Posted earlier, Fleetwood Mac was first purchase. Correct on DP in rock and Moody Blues album was ‘on a threshold of a dream’.
    Pink Floyd was, and still is, my band of choice.
    Saw a few good bands at your school!
    Oh yeah, that Fleetwood Mac album was serious blues, which I didnt appreciate at the time. We had Argent at the school, I couldnt believe how that happened. Then Audience or Caravan, or possibly both!.
    Audience! Great band, good live too.
  • Options
    @DA9 A roll?????? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    @DA9 A roll?????? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    😂😂😂 exactly that one, fishponds 😂😂😂
  • Options
    Dr Dre - 2001

Was worried about the parental advisory sticker so tried to cover it in Erith Woolworths when I handed it over the cojnter, turns out no one was bothered
  • Options
    68-71 by Van der Graaf Generator and Led Zeppelin I
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Greenie said:
    Quo - Live 1977 the greatest live album by any band ever.
    Bought it from TW Records in Plumstead.
    Still got it.

Great album from a great band - big claim though as the greatest live album ever! There's a bit of competition!
    Made in Japan by Deep Purple is one of them
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Greenie said:
    Still got it.

Great album from a great band - big claim though as the greatest live album ever! There's a bit of competition!
    100% agree.

I would add ‘At Filmore East’ The Allman Brothers, and ‘Live at Leeds’ The Who.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Greenie said:
    Still got it.

100% agree.

I would add ‘At Filmore East’ The Allman Brothers, and ‘Live at Leeds’ The Who.
    Now your talking  B)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With my first ever months wages, I purchased an Admiral England shirt and these two beauties...
  • Options
    Not my first album bought, but the conversation has moved to live albums (of which there are many good ones) and I would like to shout out for James Brown Live at the Apollo, which may have been one of the first of it’s type, and certainly one of the very best.
  • Options
    A new world record - ELO
  • Options
    With my first ever months wages, I purchased an Admiral England shirt and these two beauties...
    Can’t believe many people were into Supertramp *and* the Sex Pistols! Unusual combo. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Can’t believe many people were into Supertramp *and* the Sex Pistols! Unusual combo. 
    I think you may be right, my brothers were 7 and 13 years older then me so i was influenced by them a lot, which may go some way to explain it.
  • Options
    First paper round wasnt enough to buy an album so two weeks saving and I went down to Woolwich...browsing I saw a cover I liked.....so I bought it, Rampant by Nazareth......still like it to this day.

The second was an album Id partially heard at a friends house.....his brother was a big Yes fan and I saved again and bought Relayer by Yes....the third was Tubular Bells. I still have the vinyl for the latter two, unfortunately Rampant got left on a fireplace and melted :)
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Not my first album bought, but the conversation has moved to live albums (of which there are many good ones) and I would like to shout out for James Brown Live at the Apollo, which may have been one of the first of it’s type, and certainly one of the very best.
    He did another two albums live at the Apollo. My favourite is Revolution Of The Mind, or Vol 3, but that's because I prefer the funk-era James Brown.
  • Options
    MJ - Bad
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Never a Dull moment..Rod and the Faces
    Great record.
  • Options
    I really can't remember.

Probably just some shit from oasis...or the Arctic monkeys 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A Tonic for the Troops - Boomtown Rats. From WH Smith in 1978. The various Clash albums I bought over the subsequent years have aged a lot better than this one, but not a bad choice for an 11 year old.
    And you do get some very odd looks singing along to She's so Modern...

Actually, I think it hasn't aged badly at all.

Two brothers and I used to pool pocket money to get albums (mostly cassettes rather than LPs), at a penny each per week for each year of our age, purchases were few and far between in the Primary School years in particular, and we'd get presents of things like Supertramp's Breakfast in America or ELO/Abba albums that uncles and aunts felt comfortable buying. 

There was a continuing American slant to our tastes, due to an RTE DJ (Vinny Hanley), who presented MT USA, reflecting MTV in the mid-80s

Only really started buying albums by myself in secondary school, normally when reduced in price, the first was either Eurythmics' Sweet Dreams or Orange Juice's Rip it Up!
  • Options
    Buzzcocks - Another Music In A Different Kitchen
  • Options
    Buzzcocks - Another Music In A Different Kitchen
    Top album