Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The first album you bought with your own money!

Comments

• Options
    Changes one Bowie.
  • Options

Always been a rocker at heart 
  • Options
    Quo - Live 1977 the greatest live album by any band ever.
    Bought it from TW Records in Plumstead.
    Still got it.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Please Please Me……The Beatles…..1963…..aged 15.
    Had bought a lot of 45’s though prior to that.
  • Options
    Sladest = Slade
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Madness - One step beyond

• Options
    24 Carat Purple - Deep Purple
  • Options
    The Wombles
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Nadou said:
    Glenn Miller Greatest Hits
    My mum had a Glen Miller album. I loved it as well as her Inkspots album.
    My Dad liked both too - I used to take the mick out of him but now realise what wonderful music it was and how at the time must have been a real piece of sunshine in some horribly dark times. RIP dad and sorry lol!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9 said:

Just bought tickets to see the mighty Quo in December 2022 with Shaky special guest
  • Options
    The Wombles
    That was the first album bought for me.
    I loved it.
    In fact there was some quality tunes on it 😎
  • Options
    The first album I bought with my own money was the Kinks album "Something Else by the Kinks".
    This was in early 1968 a few months after it's release.
    Cost me 36/6d from, I think, the record department downstairs in Boots in Hare Street Woolwich
    These posts about the prices are interesting. Using the Bank of England calculator, that comes out at the equiv of about £32 today. That would deter a lot of 14 year olds today. But in those days we all had way less money than our modern equivalents…
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    Double Barrel, Dave and Ansell Collins!
    Me too. I can clearly remember, aged about 13, going up to the counter of the record shop just off Welling Corner, trying to be cool, but very self consciously asking for the LP.
    I think that shop was called Ajax.

Bought my first album there in 1971; “Muswell Hillbillies” The Kinks. 
    A likely story. I bet it was Nursery Cryme by Genesis  :p
  • Options
    Rod Stewart Greatest Hits from Macros in Charlton 1979 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

Yes, but can you remember who was fighting in the car park as you left?
  • Options
    Keegan and Stewart over who had the best perm. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Slayed - Slade. 1972. I was 12-y-o. There was a local record shop next to the Brockley Jack in Crofton Park. Magical place. The smell of the record shop and the Album covers in the window, stays with me. 

I also remember getting those LPs  which had top 10 songs by session musicians rather than the original artists,. Top of the Pops, Hot Hits, Million Seller Hits. Elton John was one of the cover artists before he was famous.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    DOUCHER said:

Yes, but can you remember who was fighting in the car park as you left?
    probably me and my brother 
  • Options
    Motown Chartbusters Volume 3 - some classic tracks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hunky Dory - Bowie.
  • Options
    Hitsville U.S.A. a Tamla Motown compilation from the early 60's, including the sublime When I'm Gone by Brenda Holloway.
  • Options
    Greenie said:
    Quo - Live 1977 the greatest live album by any band ever.
    Bought it from TW Records in Plumstead.
    Still got it.

Great album from a great band - big claim though as the greatest live album ever! There's a bit of competition!
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    I had 3 older brothers and an older sister who used to buy all the records when i was growing up.

I made it to 17 years old before i finally had to buy my own records!

My first Album was Paul Simons first solo album in 1972.

I bought it in the record shop at the top end of Eltham High st.  Can't remember the name of the shop.
    Hi, I could not remember it’s name when posting earlier. It takes a while for the old brain to kick in but think it was ‘Hermlyns’.
    I think you're right.  It's all coming back to me :)
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Just bought tickets to see the mighty Quo in December 2022 with Shaky special guest
    They’re going to wheel out Richard Madeley on a sofa and attack him 
  • Options
    DA9 said:

I get that the cheesy pop chart rock ‘n’ roll wasn’t great sometimes, but he made some great music with the sunsets back in the day, proper rocker 
  • Options
    Armed Forces - Elvis Costello and the Attractions

1979 - WH Smith in Orpington High Street
  • Options
    I'd love to say something a lot cooler but I'm sure the first album I purchased with my own money was a pet shop boys album. One with an orange case with circular bobbles on it that would need some encouragement to fit in the space in the CD rack. At the same time I bought a Billy Connoly recording that still makes me laugh to this day. A side was Wreck on Tour and the B side was Atlantic Bridge, his finest work captured forever and is possibly the reason my day to day vocabulary is still packed with vulgarity and general bad language

My brother went for Promises and Lies by UB40 which was a very decent album

• Options
    Carter said:
    I'd love to say something a lot cooler but I'm sure the first album I purchased with my own money was a pet shop boys album. One with an orange case with circular bobbles on it that would need some encouragement to fit in the space in the CD rack. At the same time I bought a Billy Connoly recording that still makes me laugh to this day. A side was Wreck on Tour and the B side was Atlantic Bridge, his finest work captured forever and is possibly the reason my day to day vocabulary is still packed with vulgarity and general bad language

Some of the first stuff I bought was Jasper carrot and smith & jones comedy tapes from Woolworths in eltham high street 
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Carter said:

Some of the first stuff I bought was Jasper carrot and smith & jones comedy tapes from Woolworths in eltham high street 
    Yes I also dipped into the world of Jasper Carrot. They were value for money, got some stand up that used to really make me laugh as well as him doing some songs like funky moped 

Also a Kevin Bloody Wilson tape which were hard to come by at the time which featured classics such as 'Santa Clause, ya c*nt' 'That Fucken cats back', 'Mick, the master farter' 'can't say c*nt in Canada' and 'An absolute c*nt of a day' and 'loving next door to Abbos' which he has now changed to loving next door to Bondy when he plays live 

I received more than one clout round the ear for singing those very catchy numbers as a kid and got told by an RE teacher she had never heard the C bomb used in a classroom before. Which astounded me as she wasn't a young woman and was teaching in a school in the white road estate area of Chatham