Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The first album you bought with your own money!

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Ziggy Stardust, David Bowie.

Listened to it for days on end, Mum & Dad got totally pissed off.

• Options
    Elvis presleys Golden records volume 1,it was a book like cover and i still have it although a bit tatty now.Still it is over 60 years old and obviously has some fantastic tracks on it.
  • Options
    Either Hybrid Theory or the Marshall Mathers LP I bought them both around release and just 6 months or so before losing my Mum, they have been listened to a lot since...

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Led Zeppelin 2. My parents were not impressed, for some unfathomable reason.

Looking forward to @Redrobo post, since we used to listen to music together. I can remember he had Deep Purple in Rock, and the Moody Blues album from that time…
  • Options
    Can't really remember the very first one, but dire straits big selling brothers in arms was my first CD, I think that was about 81 and I was 13 .
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Confidence is a preference for the habitual voyeur of what is known as.....

CD. Our Price, Merry Hill Shopping Centre, Brierly Hill.

I bought some ropey records in my time, but glad to say my first is a classic.
  • Options
    Stand up by Jethro Tull.

Love that album but now hate Jethro Tull. Go figure.
  • Options
    Like most kids of my generation, money was the big barrier. The paper round paid for a bit. But Eltham Library had a record section. It was hard to find anything good, but I remember landing an early Doors album, the one with The Crystal Ship on it. 
  • Options
    Like most kids of my generation, money was the big barrier. The paper round paid for a bit. But Eltham Library had a record section. It was hard to find anything good, but I remember landing an early Doors album, the one with The Crystal Ship on it. 
    Their first album. My favourite album of all time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    Inflammable Material by stiff little fingers, from some second hand shop. Bought Parallel Lines the following week and for the only time ever had the top two chart albums in my possession.
    +1

• Options
    Some great stuff here! I too used to go to Hermlyns, great shop. I usd to live over the carpet shop opposite. Got Hot Rats, but you feel like you've got shell shock by the end, very full on no light and shade. First Doors album a classic! First LP bought for me was Help, the Beatles, but first I bought was A Quick One, The Who, 32s 6d!
  • Options
    Hermlyn’s was my local store too, but mention of that shop on Welling Corner, that must have been the place where I bought Wishbone Ash’s Argus, which I still love today, and what an album cover too! I just don’t recall why I bought it there, as I didnt much care for Welling, it being in Kent ‘n all….
  • Options
    Hermlyn’s was my local store too, but mention of that shop on Welling Corner, that must have been the place where I bought Wishbone Ash’s Argus, which I still love today, and what an album cover too! I just don’t recall why I bought it there, as I didnt much care for Welling, it being in Kent ‘n all….
    What a great album, saw Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash play the album in full a few years ago at a festival. 
  • Options
    Humble Pie - Rocking The Fillmore
  • Options

Looking forward to @Redrobo post, since we used to listen to music together. I can remember he had Deep Purple in Rock, and the Moody Blues album from that time…
    Posted earlier, Fleetwood Mac was first purchase. Correct on DP in rock and Moody Blues album was ‘on a threshold of a dream’.
    Pink Floyd was, and still is, my band of choice.
    Saw a few good bands at your school!
  • Options
    1971 of an LP exhibition that visited the kibbutz once a year. Mum said to the three of us we allowed an LP each. I wanted 'Soley Soley' by a group called Middle of the road (bit like Schoenberg) but my older brother threatened to beat me up if I don't buy 'Magical mystery tour' by the Beatles. So I did...
  • Options
    The yes album or led zep 1 
  • Options
    The yes album or led zep 1 
    Prague will be with you on those two!
  • Options
    kafka said:
    Hunky Dory - Bowie, followed by For Your pleasure by Roxy Music. Now hanging in my home office 
    Both well played albums in my collection. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Humble Pie - Rocking The Fillmore
    Very heavy, very humble was a great album as well.
  • Options
    Knee deep in the hoopla 
  • Options
    Graduation by kayne West 
  • Options
    The Drifters Greatest hits in 72
    This was after Saturday Night at the Movies had been re released 
    Probably best value for money tho was Frampton Comes alive - Double album which I think cost £2.50 in 76
  • Options
    Graduation by kayne West 
    Blimey, that came out in 2007. I wonder if that's the most recent first album purchase in the thread?
  • Options
    Glenn Miller Greatest Hits
  • Options
    Nadou said:
    My mum had a Glen Miller album. I loved it as well as her Inkspots album.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Posted earlier, Fleetwood Mac was first purchase. Correct on DP in rock and Moody Blues album was ‘on a threshold of a dream’.
    Pink Floyd was, and still is, my band of choice.
    Saw a few good bands at your school!
    Oh yeah, that Fleetwood Mac album was serious blues, which I didnt appreciate at the time. We had Argent at the school, I couldnt believe how that happened. Then Audience or Caravan, or possibly both!.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Nadou said:
    My bothers and sisters were VERY much older than me, so I was exposed to their music before I discovered my own. But the fact remains that those big bands actually were terrific and I'm glad they were part of my musical education.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Nadou said:
    The Inkspots are beautiful. First heard 'Address unknown' on 'Better call Saul' now I accompany a singer who does a voice of an old record while performing it at our gigs. Always a hit...