Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The first album you bought with your own money!

edited November 2021 in Not Sports Related
I’ll kick this off with two albums, as the first was a lo-priced sampler and doesn’t count:

Immediate Let’s You In (1969) which featured tracks by The Small Faces, The Nice, Eric Clapton, John Mayall etc

But my first real LP (bought with cash received for my twelfth birthday in Sept ‘69) was Hot Rats by Frank Zappa. I had no idea who Zappa was, but I liked the cover. 
Bought from the record department at Medhurst’s in Bromley, where David Bowie used to hang out after school. A few years before me of course!

Comments

• Beach Boys .. 'Shut Down, Vol ll' ..

I often play Hot Rats .. Peaches en Regalia is a particular favourite
  • Madonna - Like a virgin
  • Gorillaz in 2001 in a Sainsbury's near St.Ives. 
  • As mentioned on The Beatles thread:

Electric Warrior (T.Rex, 1971) - would it be one of my favourites now? No - but I do occasionally listen to some of the tracks, regrettably not on the original vinyl!

Bought in the record shop that was on the corner of Hare Street and Powis Street - can't remember the name but remember it was downstairs with booths and headphones where you could request tracks to be played.  
  • Double Barrel, Dave and Ansell Collins!
  • edited November 2021
    Lindisfarne - Fog on the Tyne - 1971
    Blondie Parallel Lines and Elton John greatest hits II, can't remember which came first but I'd guess at Elton
  • edited November 2021
    Metallica - Master of Puppets

I bought it 17 years after it was first released, and I still see it as a 10/10 masterpiece. 
  • Double Barrel, Dave and Ansell Collins!
    Me too. I can clearly remember, aged about 13, going up to the counter of the record shop just off Welling Corner, trying to be cool, but very self consciously asking for the LP.
  • Eddie Grant and The Equals.

• Sponsored links:

• Elton John, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, must have been rich as was a double album but pictures and lyrics printed inside open triple cover were worth it
  • edited November 2021
    Roxy Music - Siren £1.72 from Makro (could never get their sticky tickets off)
    and Sparks - Propaganda bought same night.
  • The Pious bird of good omen. Fleetwood Mac.
    Bought at the record shop at the end of Eltham High Street.
    ’I need your love so bad’ was the track I was after. 
  • Eminem - Slim Shady LP 1999

Got it in WH Smiths as they weren't all that bothered about the "Parental advisory" sticker on the front of the album. 
  • Kick - INXS - October 1987. WHSmith - Powis Street, Woolwich. Great album from down under 
  • Now & Then - The Carpenters

From 'Records & Bon Bons' in Blackfen
  • JamesSeed said:
    I’ll kick this off with two albums, as the first was a lo-priced sampler and doesn’t count:

Immediate Let’s You In (1969) which featured tracks by The Small Faces, The Nice, Eric Clapton, John Mayall etc

But my first real LP (bought with cash received for my twelfth birthday in Sept ‘69) was Hot Rats by Frank Zappa. I had no idea who Zappa was, but I liked the cover. 
    Bought from the record department at Medhurst’s in Bromley, where David Bowie used to hang out after school. A few years before me of course!
    I still have the Hot Rats LP, still no scratches or pops etc. 
    I re-bought the Immediate LP as part of the blog I just wrote about buying records from ‘69-74 while at (boarding) school. 
    Prog, to Roxy and Bowie and The Velvet Underground. 
    Blog URL by DM for any record nerds out there.
    Most recent post is about dub reggae, a favourite genre of mine. 
  • Never a Dull moment..Rod and the Faces
  • Inflammable Material by stiff little fingers, from some second hand shop. Bought Parallel Lines the following week and for the only time ever had the top two chart albums in my possession.
  • a right good eclectic mix on here so far .. with a lot more to come  :)
  • Sponsored links:

• The Clash 1977. Still love the rawness of that album.  Get goosebumps as soon as I hear the intro to Janie Jones.
  • Elton John, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, must have been rich as was a double album but pictures and lyrics printed inside open triple cover were worth it
  • Yep, remember it …. although I think I contributed as well.

• Blue Hawaii by Elvis Presley 1961
  • Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle...in WHSmiths, Eltham, 1979
  • Up - Right Said Fred

• Ziggy Stardust, David Bowie.

brought it when it came out in 72, influence by my neighbour.
  • Got a feeling it woulda been Stereo MCs - Connected
  • With my own money?
    White Feathers Kajagoogoo.

Cos no one would buy it for me 😂😂😂😂
  • Can’t remember if it was High Priority by Cherrelle or Alexander O’Neal first album.