Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

‘Fill the Valley’ - repeated for Ipswich and Cambridge Utd (p17)

Comments

• edited December 2021
    DRAddick said:
    Off_it said:
    The initiative definitely needs to be tweaked before they do it again.

Couldn't buy an extra ticket before the game as there were none available, and then I turned up to see thousands upon thousands of empty seats. Money lost.
    Obviously these past few games, Sandgaard didn't care about losing a small amounts of money on late ticket sales. Was about trying to get some people back to future games. Good initiative and with the performances and results, hopefully mission accomplished. 
    I know, but I was trying to get my son back into going to Charlton games which I wasn't able to do because there were thousands of "taken" empty seats. So opportunity lost.
  • edited December 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    good good day - not quite as many there as against plymouth but a lot more than against ipswich and pretty full - 20k at least actual bodies there - drummer has been  and is great but needs to drop the new tunes and the twist and shout shite and let the big anthems off once we are 2 up 
    You’ve vastly overestimated mate. Knock a good 5k off of that. North Upper and Lower looked emptier than Tuesday night 
    There were definitely more in the home areas than Tuesday . 
    east and west had 5k more than tuesday - i was in north and it felt as busy if not more 
  • edited December 2021
    Off_it said:
    DRAddick said:
    Off_it said:

Couldn't buy an extra ticket before the game as there were none available, and then I turned up to see thousands upon thousands of empty seats. Money lost.
    Obviously these past few games, Sandgaard didn't care about losing a small amounts of money on late ticket sales. Was about trying to get some people back to future games. Good initiative and with the performances and results, hopefully mission accomplished. 
    I know, but I was trying to get my son back into going to Charlton games which I wasn't able to do because there were thousands of "taken" empty seats. So opportunity lost.
    And I get that, it's annoying short term for some. But if your son decides to not go again because if it, yet two people chose to keep going out of all the free tickets, then job done and no opportunity lost from the club's perspective. It was not perfect but ticket allocations never are. Just look at the continuous away tickets allocations arguments we've had on here for years. 
    Also, they'll be no problems you getting tickets for your son for the upcoming games...Unless the excuse is yours or your son's. 
  • DRAddick said:
    Off_it said:
    DRAddick said:
    Off_it said:

And I get that, it's annoying short term for some. But if your son decides to not go again because if it, yet two people chose to keep going out of all the free tickets, then job done and no opportunity lost from the club's perspective. It was not perfect but ticket allocations never are. Just look at the continuous away tickets allocations arguments we've had on here for years. 
    Also, they'll be no problems you getting tickets for your son for the upcoming games...Unless the excuse is yours or your son's. 
    You cant have someone not able to get a ticket when its obvious theres over 5000 spare seats.
    All it takes is for the club to have a couple of places for return tickets at the ground.
    After 3 games of giving free tickets out the club should now be sending questionnaire emails out to all season ticket holders who took up the offer.
    I'd want as much information as possible.
  • The next question is.
    After 3 wins out of 3 , does TS continue with the free ticket offer for the games over Christmas?
  • clb74 said:
    The next question is.
    After 3 wins out of 3 , does TS continue with the free ticket offer for the games over Christmas?
    No, surely not.
  • Fine those who order a freebie ticket and that freebie ticket isn’t used to get in to the ground , 2 hours before kick off tickets can be returned … it’s all computerised and should work …. Ok prolly not ..

What happened to off it’s son shouldn’t be allowed to happen ever 

still , supporting another team should be grounds for a divorce from a child 
  • clb74 said:
    The next question is.
    Surely not for the Gillingham and Wycombe games.

He also needs to stop it for a while as then no one will bother to buy a half season ticket or match ticket as they'll be expecting an offer every other game.

Personally i'd leave it for a few weeks, see how half ST sales go and then perhaps do a 'ST holder can bring a guest for a fiver' deal for a game in February.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2021
    Remember the days we were scared that we'd lose at any sight of an offer or near full Valley, as it motivates the opposition more than us! 

• mendonca said:
    Remember the days we were scared that we'd lose at any sight of an offer or near full Valley, as it motivates the opposition more than us! 

I’d go so far to say it did motivate Cambridge yesterday. I thought they played very well
  • _MrDick said:
    mendonca said:

I’d go so far to say it did motivate Cambridge yesterday. I thought they played very well
    I agree and I think again that shows our desire under Jacko - we would have lost that a few months ago I reckon.
  • 7750 north, 5750 west 3750 East 1750 south 19k bodies in ground would be my assessment of yesterday - did u not ask on here 'off it' for a ticket? i'm sure if u had, somebody would have got u one  
  • The Adkins team would certainly have lost yesterday in my view.
    One admirable feature of this Jacko spell is how he is playing the cards dealt given our personnel problems in defence.
    I go against the general flow in that I want Jackson to get the job, but would now wait until after the Plymouth game so Sandgaard can be believed in his earlier 60 day statement.
    It is kind of about knowing where we stand with regard to the owner.
    If Gallen et al have not been preparing for the ebb and flow of the transfer window already, then that is a dereliction of duty that I doubt is happening.
  • edited December 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    good good day - not quite as many there as against plymouth but a lot more than against ipswich and pretty full - 20k at least actual bodies there - drummer has been  and is great but needs to drop the new tunes and the twist and shout shite and let the big anthems off once we are 2 up 
    Some terrible chants doing the rounds atm.
  • edited December 2021
    DRAddick said:
    shirty5 said:
    DRAddick said:
    Off_it said The initiative definitely needs to be tweaked before they do it again.

All well good but how many are coming back why they have to pay full price? 

No marketing re the individuals who are coming in the ground. Schoolboy error there. At least get an email address. Basics! 
    It was worth a try, and arguably enhanced the atmosphere. Income from food, drink and shop may have helped. I find it difficult to believe that no-one who got free tickets recently will return. 
    And anyone who canonly ever book tickets last minute, and missed out these games, will be back anyway and back to normal the next home game. 

In the longer term, we're not going to lose any supporter numbers or revenue because of the recent initiative. only increase the chance of improving numbers. 
    I agree with you on numbers but the net cost will have been well over £100k. The question is not whether it’s a good thing but whether there are less costly / more efficient ways of achieving the same thing or better.
  • DOUCHER said:
    7750 north, 5750 west 3750 East 1750 south 19k bodies in ground would be my assessment of yesterday - did u not ask on here 'off it' for a ticket? i'm sure if u had, somebody would have got u one  
    Anybody who really wanted a ticket could have got some on CL on a few threads this week. 
  • DRAddick said:
    shirty5 said:
    DRAddick said:
    Off_it said The initiative definitely needs to be tweaked before they do it again.

No marketing re the individuals who are coming in the ground. Schoolboy error there. At least get an email address. Basics! 
    It was worth a try, and arguably enhanced the atmosphere. Income from food, drink and shop may have helped. I find it difficult to believe that no-one who got free tickets recently will return. 
    And anyone who canonly ever book tickets last minute, and missed out these games, will be back anyway and back to normal the next home game. 

In the longer term, we're not going to lose any supporter numbers or revenue because of the recent initiative. only increase the chance of improving numbers. 
    I agree with you on numbers but the net cost will have been well over £100k. The question is not whether it’s a good thing but whether there are less costly / more efficient ways of achieving the same thing or better.
    the £100k presumably  is based on the ticket sales that we missed out on less the extra sales generated by the additional non paying fans? i bet it was more like cost neutral 
  • i was with a group of 16 yesterday - 7 were season ticket holders, 9 had freebies - i don't normally go for a drink before the game, probably only a few of the 7 do, all 16 probably bought 2 rounds of drinks each at £25 a go so that's £50 X 16 = £800 less say £50 tops = £750 extra than had the deal not been put on for that game - if you extrapolate that out across the say average extra 7k fans per game then you are looking at 7000/9 *750 = £ ? a lot of money - i accept not all freebies will be having a jolly up but quite a few will and most will buy something - i am certain that these 3 initiatives will not have cost us anything but will have won us a lot of new / rekindled support - well done TS.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    DRAddick said:
    shirty5 said:
    DRAddick said:

the £100k presumably  is based on the ticket sales that we missed out on less the extra sales generated by the additional non paying fans? i bet it was more like cost neutral 
    I think that would involve some heroic assumptions. You are significantly overstating the numbers who attended, the numbers who were additional and the profit on ancillary sales, as well as overlooking the marketing costs. We received three postcards in our household alone, as well as calls and text messages. That’s all likely to be additional cost.

The people who couldn’t buy tickets are not material to the numbers. What matters in financial terms is the regular matchday ticket buying group that were able to pick up free tickets instead. 

The profit on the additional spend at the ground by people who would not otherwise have attended was probably wiped out by the marketing spend.

If it re-engages people or recruits new fans then of course that is the benefit. The football couldn’t have been much better and the larger numbers, albeit much smaller than claimed, definitely improved the atmosphere. 

In the end, though, it’s L1 and that’s why it’s hard to make it stick.
  • DOUCHER said:
    7750 north, 5750 west 3750 East 1750 south 19k bodies in ground would be my assessment of yesterday - did u not ask on here 'off it' for a ticket? i'm sure if u had, somebody would have got u one  
    Anybody who really wanted a ticket could have got some on CL on a few threads this week. 
    Unless you were trying to buy one on the day of the match because of a fairly last minute decision to attend (ie 4 or 5 hours before ko).
  • DOUCHER said:
    DRAddick said:
    shirty5 said:
    DRAddick said:

I think that would involve some heroic assumptions. You are significantly overstating the numbers who attended, the numbers who were additional and the profit on ancillary sales, as well as overlooking the marketing costs. We received three postcards in our household alone, as well as calls and text messages. That’s all likely to be additional cost.

The people who couldn’t buy tickets are not material to the numbers. What matters in financial terms is the regular matchday ticket buying group that were able to pick up free tickets instead. 

The profit on the additional spend at the ground by people who would not otherwise have attended was probably wiped out by the marketing spend.

If it re-engages people or recruits new fans then of course that is the benefit. The football couldn’t have been much better and the larger numbers, albeit much smaller than claimed, definitely improved the atmosphere. 

For me, that is the justification … and it worked. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    DRAddick said:
    shirty5 said:
    DRAddick said:

How many do you think attended each game Airman? I'd say 24k ish Plymouth, 15k Ipswich and 19k Cambridge. You're right, the most important thing is to hook people back in or to gain newbies but - Take Plymouth - how many tickets would have been sold for that without the offer, 3k? at £20 say £60k lost. A crowd of 16k maybe? So 8k extra bodies and probably far less season ticket holders not attending so probably 9k extra bodies. Even if they only spent a tenner on average at the game, that would give £90k additional. Some extra staff and the cost of the stock sold to be deducted but the cost of lager (probably the biggest spend i would have thought) is peanuts and is why the bar is, or should be, if run right, be so vital to the successful running of most sports / social clubs. Accepted the tv money etc distorts this in professional football but i think you overdo how little the club earns out of these food and drink outlets and if you don't, i'd say they need looking at.  
  • Off_it said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Unless you were trying to buy one on the day of the match because of a fairly last minute decision to attend (ie 4 or 5 hours before ko).
    could you not have asked for one on here? 
  • DOUCHER said:
    Off_it said:
    DOUCHER said:
    I put it on CL Saturday morning that my mate pulled out - I had 2 upper Covered End tickets - took them with me to game and kept checking on CL to see if any takers, until I went in the ground at 2pm
  • DOUCHER said:
    Off_it said:
    DOUCHER said:
    I put it on CL Saturday morning that my mate pulled out - I had 2 upper Covered End tickets - took them with me to game and kept checking on CL to see if any takers, until I went in the ground at 2pm
    exactly 
  • Loads of free tickets on here on the day, surely those people could just call the club and give them back. Everyone that wants a ticket will look on the OS, only a small % even know this place exists. 
  • Felt like this promo has attracted some wankers though. In H block Covered End on Saturday and two idiots were starting on and taunting a bloke who had his little girl with him.

The little girl was visibly upset, he had to take her down to an emptier row near the front of the block. I've been there most home games this season and never seen them before, so must've got entry through the free promo.