Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

‘Fill the Valley’ - repeated for Ipswich and Cambridge Utd (p17)

Comments

• Felt like this promo has attracted some wankers though. In H block Covered End on Saturday and two idiots were starting on and taunting a bloke who had his little girl with him.

The little girl was visibly upset, he had to take her down to an emptier row near the front of the block. I've been there most home games this season and never seen them before, so must've got entry through the free promo.
    did no one around them pipe up?
  • DOUCHER said:
    Off_it said:
    DOUCHER said:
    7750 north, 5750 west 3750 East 1750 south 19k bodies in ground would be my assessment of yesterday - did u not ask on here 'off it' for a ticket? i'm sure if u had, somebody would have got u one  
    Anybody who really wanted a ticket could have got some on CL on a few threads this week. 
    Unless you were trying to buy one on the day of the match because of a fairly last minute decision to attend (ie 4 or 5 hours before ko).
    could you not have asked for one on here? 
    I put it on CL Saturday morning that my mate pulled out - I had 2 upper Covered End tickets - took them with me to game and kept checking on CL to see if any takers, until I went in the ground at 2pm
    Similar story here.
  • What it boils down to is, quite a few people are saying get me a ticket then blowing the game out.
    As I said to someone yesterday you could do a small charge for the 3 tickets, but it would be the season ticket holder paying the charge.
  • DRAddick said:
    shirty5 said:
    DRAddick said:
    Off_it said The initiative definitely needs to be tweaked before they do it again.

Couldn't buy an extra ticket before the game as there were none available, and then I turned up to see thousands upon thousands of empty seats. Money lost.
    Obviously these past few games, Sandgaard didn't care about losing a small amounts of money on late ticket sales. Was about trying to get some people back to future games. Good initiative and with the performances and results, hopefully mission accomplished. 
    All well good but how many are coming back why they have to pay full price? 

No marketing re the individuals who are coming in the ground. Schoolboy error there. At least get an email address. Basics! 
    It was worth a try, and arguably enhanced the atmosphere. Income from food, drink and shop may have helped. I find it difficult to believe that no-one who got free tickets recently will return. 
    And anyone who canonly ever book tickets last minute, and missed out these games, will be back anyway and back to normal the next home game. 

In the longer term, we're not going to lose any supporter numbers or revenue because of the recent initiative. only increase the chance of improving numbers. 
    I agree with you on numbers but the net cost will have been well over £100k. The question is not whether it’s a good thing but whether there are less costly / more efficient ways of achieving the same thing or better.
    If 700 fans have been captivated enough over the last 3 games to buy a half season ticket (at an average price of 150 quid) then that's the money recouped.

Or 2k deciding to buy Gillingham and Wycombe tickets.

Probably wildly optimistic i know, but i'm sure we'll have gained some extra sales because of the promo.
  • I personally wouldn't have done 2 consecutive games, 4 days apart, so soon after Plymouth. You're in danger of people taking these promotions for granted and "picking and choosing" which games they actually attend, as opposed to which games they have tickets for. 

I thought the Ipswich attendance was pretty disappointing actually. Yes it was more than it would have been for a December midweek game, but nothing special considering the positive performance of the previous home Plymouth match which surely would have attracted more people anyway.
  • I personally wouldn't have done 2 consecutive games, 4 days apart, so soon after Plymouth. You're in danger of people taking these promotions for granted and "picking and choosing" which games they actually attend, as opposed to which games they have tickets for. 

I thought the Ipswich attendance was pretty disappointing actually. Yes it was more than it would have been for a December midweek game, but nothing special considering the positive performance of the previous home Plymouth match which surely would have attracted more people anyway.
    The weather also significantly affected the attendance.
  • edited December 2021
    DRAddick said:
    shirty5 said:
    DRAddick said:
    Off_it said The initiative definitely needs to be tweaked before they do it again.

Couldn't buy an extra ticket before the game as there were none available, and then I turned up to see thousands upon thousands of empty seats. Money lost.
    Obviously these past few games, Sandgaard didn't care about losing a small amounts of money on late ticket sales. Was about trying to get some people back to future games. Good initiative and with the performances and results, hopefully mission accomplished. 

No marketing re the individuals who are coming in the ground. Schoolboy error there. At least get an email address. Basics! 
    It was worth a try, and arguably enhanced the atmosphere. Income from food, drink and shop may have helped. I find it difficult to believe that no-one who got free tickets recently will return. 
    And anyone who canonly ever book tickets last minute, and missed out these games, will be back anyway and back to normal the next home game. 

In the longer term, we're not going to lose any supporter numbers or revenue because of the recent initiative. only increase the chance of improving numbers. 
    I agree with you on numbers but the net cost will have been well over £100k. The question is not whether it’s a good thing but whether there are less costly / more efficient ways of achieving the same thing or better.
    If 700 fans have been captivated enough over the last 3 games to buy a half season ticket (at an average price of 150 quid) then that's the money recouped.

Probably wildly optimistic i know, but i'm sure we'll have gained some extra sales because of the promo.
    It doesn’t work like that, because a large tranche of people buying half seasons would have attended some games in the second half of the season anyway. In fact, it can work against the club to some extent because season tickets are so much cheaper than match tickets.

It’s only extra income over and above what people would have spent anyway. However, you do tie people in and I agree that the half season sales will be interesting. Anything over 500 is good, historically.

A better way of looking at it is if, say, 10,000 match ticket sales (or whatever) were lost to comps over the three games then you need 10,000 extra sales from people who would not otherwise have come in the future to offset that. If you look long term, converting one person can produce significant revenue. But you will get diminishing returns from repeating the promotion, since you are partly attracting repeat visitors on the comps.

The other point is that the price is only one reason people don’t attend - or to put it another way, the exercise showed that we wouldn’t fill the ground (in L1) even if all admission was free.  
  • Felt like this promo has attracted some wankers though. In H block Covered End on Saturday and two idiots were starting on and taunting a bloke who had his little girl with him.

The little girl was visibly upset, he had to take her down to an emptier row near the front of the block. I've been there most home games this season and never seen them before, so must've got entry through the free promo.
    did no one around them pipe up?
    Unfortunately not, I was at the game with my mate and his 8 year old son otherwise would've myself.  

It was reported to the stewards but all that happened was a steward stood about half way up the steps for 5mins, then disappeared. 

• Sponsored links:

• edited December 2021
    Hex said:
    I personally wouldn't have done 2 consecutive games, 4 days apart, so soon after Plymouth. You're in danger of people taking these promotions for granted and "picking and choosing" which games they actually attend, as opposed to which games they have tickets for. 

The weather also significantly affected the attendance.
    To be honest, much of the difference between Ipswich and Cambridge was the season ticket holders who don’t do midweek games. The weather may have put some people off, but I was outside the ground from 5.45, there was no rain and the wind had dropped right off. In fact, it was better than this Saturday. You were never going to get a big turnout for a Tuesday night in December, which is just how it is now, except in very special circumstances.
  • DRAddick said:
    shirty5 said:
    DRAddick said:

It doesn’t work like that, because a large tranche of people buying half seasons would have attended some games in the second half of the season anyway. In fact, it can work against the club to some extent because season tickets are so much cheaper than match tickets.

It’s only extra income over and above what people would have spent anyway. However, you do tie people in and I agree that the half season sales will be interesting. Anything over 500 is good, historically.

A better way of looking at it is if, say, 10,000 match ticket sales (or whatever) were lost to comps over the three games then you need 10,000 extra sales from people who would not otherwise have come in the future to offset that. If you look long term, converting one person can produce significant revenue. But you will get diminishing returns from repeating the promotion, since you are partly attracting repeat visitors on the comps.

The other point is that the price is only one reason people don’t attend - or to put it another way, the exercise showed that we wouldn’t fill the ground (in L1) even if all admission was free.  
    If admission was free to anyone, you probably would fill the ground.
  • DRAddick said:
    shirty5 said:
    DRAddick said:

As a one off or game after game? I very much doubt the latter. You’d have to believe that price is the only thing that stops it happening now and I just don’t see it. You’d also have the same wasted ticket phenomenon we’ve just seen.
  • DRAddick said:
    shirty5 said:
    DRAddick said:

If everyone could just turn up on the day?
  • DRAddick said:
    shirty5 said:
    DRAddick said:

People still have to be bothered to go though. If you did that for a Pizza Cup game or an unattractive EFL cup game, you'd probably still struggle to get people to go, especially midweek
  • The latest Covid news will be effecting attendances as well. There are alot of people who will be giving 2nd thoughts to going to matches through this outbreak
  • DRAddick said:
    shirty5 said:
    DRAddick said:

Quite likely true of course but i'm sure we've also had some people come along who wouldn't have otherwise set foot in the Valley and are now hooked. I'm sure there was a post earlier in the thread who said he'd converted a couple of new fans, and he's probably not the only one.

The promo was probably also worth it to try and get back some lapsed fans lost in the Belgian era and also of course after the dreadful start under Adkins. I fully agree 3 games in a row was probably unnecessary but getting fans back into the Valley by any means necessary after years of shite has been well worth it.
  • DRAddick said:
    shirty5 said:
    DRAddick said:

Quite likely true of course but i'm sure we've also had some people come along who wouldn't have otherwise set foot in the Valley and are now hooked. I'm sure there was a post earlier in the thread who said he'd converted a couple of new fans, and he's probably not the only one.

The promo was probably also worth it to try and get back some lapsed fans lost in the Belgian era and also of course after the dreadful start under Adkins. I fully agree 3 games in a row was probably unnecessary but getting fans back into the Valley by any means necessary after years of shite has been well worth it.
    Yes, I agree. That’s why we should always do promotions. I just think we need to be realistic about what success looks like (and what actually happened), otherwise there is a risk of setting unrealistic expectations. 
  • DRAddick said:
    shirty5 said:
    DRAddick said:

People still have to be bothered to go though. If you did that for a Pizza Cup game or an unattractive EFL cup game, you'd probably still struggle to get people to go, especially midweek
    I thought it was a given we were discussing League games.
  • DRAddick said:
    shirty5 said:
    DRAddick said:

I thought it was a given we were discussing League games.
    I was using that as an extreme example, but the same still applies to a midweek winter fixture against "grim Northern club casual football fans have never heard off"
  • Sponsored links:

• AndyG said:
    The latest Covid news will be effecting attendances as well. There are alot of people who will be giving 2nd thoughts to going to matches through this outbreak
    True. The timing of "Fill the Valley" was unfortunate, as big crowds mean people all around you in the stadium, crowded toilets and concourses, and packed trains.

Yeah there was a kick off near the back that went on far too long! Pricks 
  • Stig said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Off_it said:
    DOUCHER said:
    7750 north, 5750 west 3750 East 1750 south 19k bodies in ground would be my assessment of yesterday - did u not ask on here 'off it' for a ticket? i'm sure if u had, somebody would have got u one  
    Anybody who really wanted a ticket could have got some on CL on a few threads this week. 
    Unless you were trying to buy one on the day of the match because of a fairly last minute decision to attend (ie 4 or 5 hours before ko).
    I put it on CL Saturday morning that my mate pulled out - I had 2 upper Covered End tickets - took them with me to game and kept checking on CL to see if any takers, until I went in the ground at 2pm
    Similar story here.
    If I'd known far enough in advance I might've looked on here , but I was out in the morning and also didn't want to run the risk of having to wait on the off chance for some random stranger to turn up for a meet with a ticket for a completely different stand.

My son looked on the official site and there were no tickets available, so that was that as I just didn't have the time to arrange anything else.

I'm not trying to be difficult or negative about a well intentioned promotion. As I said, it was just a bit galling to see so many empty seats when I'd not been able to buy a ticket earlier.

As it turns out the bloke with the hand scanner was clueless at the turnstile entrance in the West and just waved me through after trying to scan my ticket 3 times without success. If I'd known that I would've just printed off the same ticket twice and my son could've used it to get in and sit in the empty seat next to mine! 
  • DRAddick said:
    shirty5 said:
    DRAddick said:

As a one off or game after game? I very much doubt the latter. You’d have to believe that price is the only thing that stops it happening now and I just don’t see it. You’d also have the same wasted ticket phenomenon we’ve just seen.
    Wasted ticket phenomenon?
  • Not to rub it in, but worth remembering in future that with e-tickets there's no need to meet. 
  • Off_it said:
    Stig said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Off_it said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Similar story here.
    If I'd known far enough in advance I might've looked on here , but I was out in the morning and also didn't want to run the risk of having to wait on the off chance for some random stranger to turn up for a meet with a ticket for a completely different stand.

My son looked on the official site and there were no tickets available, so that was that as I just didn't have the time to arrange anything else.

I'm not trying to be difficult or negative about a well intentioned promotion. As I said, it was just a bit galling to see so many empty seats when I'd not been able to buy a ticket earlier.

As it turns out the bloke with the hand scanner was clueless at the turnstile entrance in the West and just waved me through after trying to scan my ticket 3 times without success. If I'd known that I would've just printed off the same ticket twice and my son could've used it to get in and sit in the empty seat next to mine! 

Exactly, people need to give tickets back rather than post on here on the day.  
  • shine166 said:
    Off_it said:
    Stig said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Off_it said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Similar story here.

Curious why that should be?

I had my three become available again Saturday morning, put them on here and had a willing person take them. I then emailed off the tickets to the person and the whole thing took less than an hour.

I could even have done this while sat in Crossbars pre match or even in my seat once in the ground. Appreciate it's not the traditional way of obtaining tickets but the tech is there to be as flexible as you like.
  • edited December 2021
    shine166 said:
    Off_it said:
    Stig said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Off_it said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Similar story here.

I had my three become available again Saturday morning, put them on here and had a willing person take them. I then emailed off the tickets to the person and the whole thing took less than an hour.

I could even have done this while sat in Crossbars pre match or even in my seat once in the ground. Appreciate it's not the traditional way of obtaining tickets but the tech is there to be as flexible as you like.
    Maybe because more people look on the OS for tickets than they do here ? I'm just trying to think logically. You've basically done what the club do by emailing them, you/we just have a smaller audience to pass them onto. 

If tickets have been punted out on here all week and nobody is taking them, they probaly won't all go on the day either. The most flexible way, would be the clubs ticket selling page which everyone uses. 
  • shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    Off_it said:
    Stig said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Off_it said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Similar story here.

Maybe because more people look on the OS for tickets than they do here ? I'm just trying to think logically. You've basically done what the club do by emailing them, you/we just have a smaller audience to pass them onto. 

If tickets have been punted out on here all week and nobody is taking them, they probaly won't all go on the day either. The most flexible way, would be the clubs ticket selling page which everyone uses. 
    I agree people shouldn't have taken tickets unless they had people to pass them on to. Probably the same people who bought all the toilet roll in lockdown.

Unfortunately once bought the club aren't going to take them back so asking other fans on social media is the next best option.
  • Not at all IT savy so it might not be straightforward but would it be possible to add a "Return ticket" button on the email so that if they were going to go unused late in the day then the club could instantly register that they were now available for reallocation?