Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

‘Fill the Valley’ - repeated for Ipswich and Cambridge Utd (p17)

Comments

• A fantasy right now but nevertheless a thing of beauty…
  • edited November 2021
    Let’s consistently fill our ground first, without giving thousands of freebies away before we worry about improving Roland’s asset!
  • Ha, we win one game and we’re extending a stadium we don’t own that was less than a third full a couple of weeks ago :-) 
    A couple of weeks ago we were getting relegated, but now we're going to win the league, so it does make sense.  :)
  • Ha, we win one game and we’re extending a stadium we don’t own that was less than a third full a couple of weeks ago :-) 
    Haha brilliant 
  • DOUCHER said:
    Love that photo but moving home fans to the Jimmy Seed does not sit well with me, just does not seem right.
    agreed - i've always preferred the idea of anothe tier and / or a raised height on the East - would need to buy up a couple of houses to create more access half way down the stand but lets keep the jimmy seed small and lets keep the covered end the home end. The roof of the east is at the height of the original terracing - i know that coz i interviewed Roy King (client) and Kennedy Woodward (the designers) and Mowlem i think (contractors) when doing my QS degree and used it as a poject for my dissertation - got a desmond in the end coz i spent most of it talking about Charlton rather than design and build !!!  
    I disagree, the stadium would look much better with a bit more symmetry to it. Having two tiers on the other three stands and then a tiny away end would look silly.
  • DOUCHER said:
    Love that photo but moving home fans to the Jimmy Seed does not sit well with me, just does not seem right.
    agreed - i've always preferred the idea of anothe tier and / or a raised height on the East - would need to buy up a couple of houses to create more access half way down the stand but lets keep the jimmy seed small and lets keep the covered end the home end. The roof of the east is at the height of the original terracing - i know that coz i interviewed Roy King (client) and Kennedy Woodward (the designers) and Mowlem i think (contractors) when doing my QS degree and used it as a poject for my dissertation - got a desmond in the end coz i spent most of it talking about Charlton rather than design and build !!!  
    I disagree, the stadium would look much better with a bit more symmetry to it. Having two tiers on the other three stands and then a tiny away end would look silly.
    Wouldn’t the east start to look silly if the south were done ?
    Were just lining up something new to argue savour coz once jacko gets appointed we might be lacking something to chew over 
  • Apologies if I have missed something but is that design from any official source ?
  • AndyG said:
    Apologies if I have missed something but is that design from any official source ?
    It's 20 odd years old 
  • Sponsored links:

• AndyG said:
    Apologies if I have missed something but is that design from any official source ?
    yes, it was the architects mock up from 2004.

I found it in Tom Morris's archive along with some other mock ups. 

I'd post them but don't want to upset anyone 
  • AndyG said:

Post away - can’t see how you would upset anyone ?
  • edited November 2021
    AndyG said:

There might have been confidentiality/rights issues with any building mock up drawings. Being from 20 years ago now though probably means those have long expired. 
  • AndyG said:

I'll start a new thread.
  • Still stick to the view that 30/32k is about right for a club like us 
  • Very interesting. I hope the response, and the season ticket holders, are as positive as last time. 
  • good stuff - lets go again and completely fill it this time 'Bring your friends, bring your family, bring your voice and for the opposition: 'Bring your dinner!!' 
  • Sponsored links:

• Maybe, with the run up to Christmas, they thought trying to get folks to come would be a hard sell?
    This way all it’ll cost you is getting there (you don’t have to buy anything once there).
    And the players still get to play in front of a decent crowd, which obviously lifts them.
    Everyones a winner?

Then, Father Christmas might bring you a half season ticket 🤷‍♀️

I can see why they’ve done it.
    I dunno, I can see it having the opposite affect.

People may go to three home games on the trot free of charge and just think "Sod buying a ticket for the next game, they'll be doing more free tickets again soon, I'll wait for that".
  • Maybe, with the run up to Christmas, they thought trying to get folks to come would be a hard sell?
    This way all it’ll cost you is getting there (you don’t have to buy anything once there).
    And the players still get to play in front of a decent crowd, which obviously lifts them.
    Everyones a winner?

yeah good point
  • Belv said:
    Maybe, with the run up to Christmas, they thought trying to get folks to come would be a hard sell?
    Everyones a winner?

People may go to three home games on the trot free of charge and just think "Sod buying a ticket for the next game, they'll be doing more free tickets again soon, I'll wait for that".
    Can’t see it continuing in the New Year tbh 🤷‍♀️
  • edited November 2021
    Belv said:
    Maybe, with the run up to Christmas, they thought trying to get folks to come would be a hard sell?
    Everyones a winner?

Can’t see it continuing in the New Year tbh 🤷‍♀️
    Never say never. I thought it was a one off with a couple more home game incentives later on during  the season. 

It would never surprise me going into next year 
  • DOUCHER said:
    a hit on a crackpipe, you may recover - 3 hits and you're hooked and you can't do without a half year season ticket  
    Superhans will be getting a half season ticket ‘tell you what that Charlton is really moreish’

• Off_it said:
    Croydon said:
    Atmosphere was superb, so much for the worries about 'plastics'.

Should drop all ST prices next season, like Bradford City have done, to get as many in as possible week in week out.
    It's a loss leader in a way too - yeah people might spend a bit less on a ticket but they buy food and drink in the ground, they buy a programme, they get a shirt because they are going....
    The profit on the extra spend is relatively trivial because of the cost of sale and the people who spend nothing. It’s unlikely to be £2 per head on average. The value of a zero priced ticket is in repeat purchase, which potentially is a huge multiplier effect.

I would guess that yesterday cost the club about £50k in lost ticket revenue. You might regard that as a worthwhile investment (it was certainly successful in its own terms) but if you keep doing it then the likely effect will be to increase losses, not reduce them. 

There are other ways of doing it that don’t cost anything like the same money, however. 

I appreciate that you used to work for the club and what you post is your opinion based on those experiences but sometimes you do come across as bitter and miserable and it seems that no matter what initiative the club come up with you could have done better.
    I really couldn’t give a toss what you think of me. These are the facts, not opinion. If people want to pretend the ground was full yesterday or catering etc compensates fully for ticket revenue they are just wrong.
    I think you can cross him off your subscription list.

He does have a point that some of your posts do often come across as "I know best and wouldnt have done that" and whilst I appreciate that you have previous experience, you do seem to be pretty miserable after a pretty uplifting game.

I know you couldnt give a toss what I think either, which is fine by me.
    Or alternatively some people just select any evidence which fits their preconception and discard anything else. That’s the world we live in, sadly. Miserable?

Just catching up on this thread, crickey Airman Browns gone commando and blown his cover!
  • matt88 said:
    No mention of half season tickets, launched the previous day, in the programme on Saturday. 
    Blimey, they missed a trick there then, I take it it was well advertised in the stadium and on the big screen though?
    I understand there were ads in the toilets. I didn’t notice the big screen. My point though is the lack of joined-up thinking within the club. It’s not as if the idea of doing half season tickets will have come up at a meeting on Friday after the programme had been printed. Nobody is joining the dots.
    There were still adverts in the upper west toilets for the Cheltenham Festival in March 2020. A bit of a morbid reminder of that super-spreader event...
    Are they still up on the wall?