Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

‘Fill the Valley’ - repeated for Ipswich and Cambridge Utd (p17)

Comments

• Options
    There was a buzz yesterday - even outside and before the game. Real engagement from supporters, players and the match day staff who also need something like this occasionally. 

It was a completely different experience to the 'kids for a quid' or 'football for a fiver' days which make it feel like you've come to a school sports day. 

Would suggest it should be repeated at about this time every year.  Maybe a ten thousand pound draw at half time from tickets which have actually been used? Or is that illegal / impossible.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Atmosphere was superb, so much for the worries about 'plastics'.

Should drop all ST prices next season, like Bradford City have done, to get as many in as possible week in week out.
    It's a loss leader in a way too - yeah people might spend a bit less on a ticket but they buy food and drink in the ground, they buy a programme, they get a shirt because they are going....
    The profit on the extra spend is relatively trivial because of the cost of sale and the people who spend nothing. It’s unlikely to be £2 per head on average. The value of a zero priced ticket is in repeat purchase, which potentially is a huge multiplier effect.

I would guess that yesterday cost the club about £50k in lost ticket revenue. You might regard that as a worthwhile investment (it was certainly successful in its own terms) but if you keep doing it then the likely effect will be to increase losses, not reduce them. 

There are other ways of doing it that don’t cost anything like the same money, however. 

I wasn't suggesting they keep doing free tickets, I was talking about relatively low season ticket prices and how having more in the stadium albeit paying a similar total can be beneficial.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Lol. Sorry Airman but I dont follow you - or anyone - on Twitter. Just going purely by your comments on here.

Although i note that even you "happy" in that tweet has a little barb in it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Off_it said:
    Lol. Sorry Airman but I dont follow you - or anyone - on Twitter. Just going purely by your comments on here.

Although i note that even you "happy" in that tweet has a little barb in it.
    Yes, I think any further delay in appointing JJ is foolish/pointless. Does anyone think we would should wait to see how the Morecambe game goes, and if so what will that tell us? You’re quite right I try not to do platitudes and arselicking, but that’s a long way from being miserable.

You correctly say you don’t have an overview of what I do or think. My question then is his how reasonable it is to have a public opinion about it. And why should anyone care? If what I’m saying isn’t true that’s another matter.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Should drop all ST prices next season, like Bradford City have done, to get as many in as possible week in week out.
    It's a loss leader in a way too - yeah people might spend a bit less on a ticket but they buy food and drink in the ground, they buy a programme, they get a shirt because they are going....
    The profit on the extra spend is relatively trivial because of the cost of sale and the people who spend nothing. It’s unlikely to be £2 per head on average. The value of a zero priced ticket is in repeat purchase, which potentially is a huge multiplier effect.

I would guess that yesterday cost the club about £50k in lost ticket revenue. You might regard that as a worthwhile investment (it was certainly successful in its own terms) but if you keep doing it then the likely effect will be to increase losses, not reduce them. 

There are other ways of doing it that don’t cost anything like the same money, however. 

I appreciate that you used to work for the club and what you post is your opinion based on those experiences but sometimes you do come across as bitter and miserable and it seems that no matter what initiative the club come up with you could have done better.
    I really couldn’t give a toss what you think of me. These are the facts, not opinion. If people want to pretend the ground was full yesterday or catering etc compensates fully for ticket revenue they are just wrong.
    At £5 a pint, they probably made enough to half that £50k loss.

In the whole scheme of things even at a £50k loss - which I hope you've compounded over the years  ;) - shouldn't cost the Club more than a couple of agent's fees charged for a loan player. And we've paid out for plenty of those in the past few years.

You just keep posting the facts that the majority of us really want to hear - both good and not so good - to give us a more transparent view of the sheer scale of the finances and operation that are involved in running a League 1 Club.

Still need to see a top, top, notch CEO to run the Club full time from here in the South East. I think that TS is struggling to pass on those reins until he finds the right person for that roll who he can trust. Particularly when his latest words specifically query some of the current operational side of the Club.
  • Options
    Superb Initiative. Used my free tickets for family members. They had a great day out. Atmosphere was amazing and I'm sure everyone who got a free ticket will be tempted to buy one for a future game.

I didn't use the catering yesterday, it's normally awful (although has improved in recent weeks) I did see the club had drafted in some extra catering vans to ease the pressure/

I would say I've been to the majority of away games this season and most of the catering at those grounds is also sub par. So we are not alone in that.

Anyways, great work by the marketing team, from the sloppy execution of the season ticket 'offers' this is definitely a feather in their hat.

• Options
    Croydon said:

I appreciate that you used to work for the club and what you post is your opinion based on those experiences but sometimes you do come across as bitter and miserable and it seems that no matter what initiative the club come up with you could have done better.
    I really couldn’t give a toss what you think of me. These are the facts, not opinion. If people want to pretend the ground was full yesterday or catering etc compensates fully for ticket revenue they are just wrong.
    Sorry if I hit a nerve.
    The facts you speak of are your opinion of the facts as we have no access to information from inside the club of what they expect the additional income to be from yesterdays promotion over the coming season.
    They managed to get additional bums on seats to see a great game and a team play bright attacking football that resulted in an excellent win.
    It may or may not add thousands of lapsed or additional supporters but in my opinion it was  a successful promotion.
    I am not expecting 25k at the next game or maybe again this season but in my opinion I believe that it will add a higher attendance of home supporters as the season progresses.
    At the end of the day if TS is willing, according to your figures, take a £50k hit then he, based on his  business experience, believes in the long run it will pay off.
    Results will always be a factor in adding additional support and as you do I believe JJ and JE should be installed immediately to give us the best chance of achieving those results and in turn getting us to promotion. 

• Options
    Hopefully the right people are working to use the data from the giveaway to target offers etc to turn people who will go when its free to people who might pay a tenner, then twenty, then, you know. Of course the data will only contain existing ST holders as no info was asked on who the tickets might be ending up with, but there you go. It demonstrated that there is a long tail in demand for CAFC that will turn out for a) big games and b) cheap or free tickets. 
  • Options
    The home game against the league leaders, the up turn in team performance and the release of the half season tickets coincided nicely. I wager that fillthevalley was partly seen as a method to get more of those half season tickets sold.

Us winning was the gamble paying off, and I hope it all draws more fans to games even if just on Saturdays.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Again shows to me that the average ticket price is ordinarily far too expensive. 

I realise the reality is that cost base drives the ticket price but the solution is to be bold and imaginative with pricing. 

I think 2 for 1 type offers (to get parents and kids or friends attending together) and buy 2 home matches get the third  for free style offers are needed ongoing. 

• Options
    DA9 said:
    Best sight of the day for me, walking down to crayford station to get the famous loop train just before 2pm, woman with three small kids all decked out in Charlton scarfs walking just in front of me, Hoping it was they’re first taste, never seen them before, really hope the atmosphere and result brings them back, in fact, that’s what this promotion was all about. Crucial result for more reasons than the three points. 
    You not in Gravesend any more mate?  I saw everyone else yesterday, didn’t bump into you. Their all buzzing for Morecambe away. 
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Best sight of the day for me, walking down to crayford station to get the famous loop train just before 2pm, woman with three small kids all decked out in Charlton scarfs walking just in front of me, Hoping it was they’re first taste, never seen them before, really hope the atmosphere and result brings them back, in fact, that’s what this promotion was all about. Crucial result for more reasons than the three points. 
    You not in Gravesend any more mate?  I saw everyone else yesterday, didn’t bump into you. Their all buzzing for Morecambe away. 
     No, moved to Bexley area in the summer, I was in the fans bar for a couple of quick ones after the game. 
  • Options
    Saturday was great.
    Really great.
    I estimate the real bums actually on seats attendance was around 22k.
    Fantastic turn out, and made the more enjoyable because the attendance was in every way bigger than the capacity of the Toolbox, which has never been completely full anyway.
  • Options
    Hotels make the bulk of their gross profit from filling rooms, not from F&B etc. Agree with Rick that it is same for football clubs re filling seats.

An offer like Saturday’s has to be about hooking people in to buy seats in future. I hope the club is already seeing some return in half ST sales.

Appointing JJ would add a lot of momentum to that.