Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

‘Fill the Valley’ - repeated for Ipswich and Cambridge Utd (p17)

Comments

• edited November 2021
    Target 40k as a title for the committee was all about handling the council over the planning applications at the time. Hence Valley Express, Football for a Fiver, etc..
  • @Henry Irving not what I meant on either count, I’m interested in sharing information and discussion with people who feel likewise, so I’ll leave it there
  • If The Valley was/is to ever end up looking like that, you'd need to house away fans in the South East corner. The Jim Seed is one of the best away ends in the country for acoustics when it's full, you definitely would want to put an end to that.
  • Belv said:
    If The Valley was/is to ever end up looking like that, you'd need to house away fans in the South East corner. The Jim Seed is one of the best away ends in the country for acoustics when it's full, you definitely would want to put an end to that.
    Which the police will never allow.
  • Belv said:
    If The Valley was/is to ever end up looking like that, you'd need to house away fans in the South East corner. The Jim Seed is one of the best away ends in the country for acoustics when it's full, you definitely would want to put an end to that.
    To put away fans in the corner?
  • 4Real said:
    YTS1978 said:
    matt88 said:
    dickad1 said:
    I didn't check on Saturday, but until recently there were adverts in the West Upper toilets for a Jake Bugg single that was released a couple of years ago at least.  

However, my biggest buggbear on Saturday was the way they managed the turnstiles. Mentioned this on the post match thread. Not sure what it was like in the rest of the ground, but at least three of the (I think) eight turnstiles were closed, including the two furthest south. This resulted in massive queues / confusion, stewards directing people to the West Lower queues by mistake and at one point a steward letting a load of people in through an exit gate before a more senior one put a stop to it.

Many people were struggling to scan tickets, me included and I go to the majority of games.  I was let in manually by a steward in the end. There was probably a rate of about one or two entrants every minute or so as the system doesn't deal well with people scanning on phones. 

Was always going to be busy with queues on Saturday, but surely they could at least have opened all the entrances. 

The majority that were closed were where there would have been a disproportionate number of newcomers and I could see many people being pretty shocked by the experience, my girlfriend included who at one point suggested we go home, which was never going to happen!!  We did miss the first ten minutes though despite arriving a good 25 minutes or so before kick off. 

I'm willing to accept a bit of chaos on such a day when the attendance is much higher than normal, and the collective behaviour pattern of the crowd is not as it would have been in the Prem days when everyone knew what to do and where to go etc.

However, surely much of that could have been planned for and alleviated.  I'd guess there was a breach of the safety certificate, probably several.

Once inside though it was a great day and my girlfriend was glad we toughed it out and wants to go again! 
    The turnstiles being shut was ridiculous dor a near capacity crowd. We also got there about 25mins before kick off and were set to miss the start before we went in when the steward opened that exit. Didn’t show our tickets at all to get in.

It’s the sort of thing that doesn’t shock you anymore with Keohane in charge of operations.
    I had no issues getting in on Saturday, but this reminded me of something. Took my three kids to the Cheltenham game this season and had etickets. Couldn't get the bloody things to scan so asked the girl on the gate to let us in. She didn't even look at each ticket just ushered us through! Once inside we were met by a group of about 5 stewards. I tried to show my tickets to one fella and he was like "nah mate, you've been checked". We hadn't! I had a backpack and my daughter also had a bag. No searches, no ticket checks, just straight in. I was genuinely shocked how lax it was.
    If it had been strict then you would have written a similar, but contradictory, post.
    Huh? What's that supposed to mean? I was commenting on the issue of the gates being flung open on Saturday because the turnstiles weren't working. That was nothing to do with me and I got in fine in the covered end.

It just reminded me that earlier in the season (with half the ground full at best), me and three other people gained entry to the ground without anyone checking our tickets or bags! I have no problem showing my tickets and no problem with a bag search. That's a bare minimum at an "entertainment arena" no?

Very strange comment, on a serious security issue TBF.
  • Belv said:
    Belv said:
    South West yes, South East No
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Belv said:
    Belv said:
    South West yes, South East No
    Either or, doesn't really matter, you'd just need to move them from behind the goal or at least, I'd like to see them moved from there.
  • South West makes most sense, can keep the current away entrance
  • I saw somewhere something about half season tickets, thought I would look at prices for Grandkids, can’t find it on os anybody got any info please
  • Sponsored links:

• I saw somewhere something about half season tickets, thought I would look at prices for Grandkids, can’t find it on os anybody got any info please
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/92927/half-season-tickets-for-the-second-half-of-our-campaign-will-go-on-sale-from-11am-today#latest
    Go to the ticket section and click on season tickets.

• No mention of half season tickets, launched the previous day, in the programme on Saturday. 
    Blimey, they missed a trick there then, I take it it was well advertised in the stadium and on the big screen though?
    I understand there were ads in the toilets. I didn’t notice the big screen. My point though is the lack of joined-up thinking within the club. It’s not as if the idea of doing half season tickets will have come up at a meeting on Friday after the programme had been printed. Nobody is joining the dots.
    The half-season tickets were due to launch a week prior but were held off due to the #FillTheValley campaign. The decision to eventually launch on Friday, unfortunately, did come after the programme went to print. 
  • clive said:
    I saw somewhere something about half season tickets, thought I would look at prices for Grandkids, can’t find it on os anybody got any info please
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/92927/half-season-tickets-for-the-second-half-of-our-campaign-will-go-on-sale-from-11am-today#latest
    Thanks
  • No mention of half season tickets, launched the previous day, in the programme on Saturday. 
    Blimey, they missed a trick there then, I take it it was well advertised in the stadium and on the big screen though?
    I understand there were ads in the toilets. I didn’t notice the big screen. My point though is the lack of joined-up thinking within the club. It’s not as if the idea of doing half season tickets will have come up at a meeting on Friday after the programme had been printed. Nobody is joining the dots.
    The half-season tickets were due to launch a week prior but were held off due to the #FillTheValley campaign. The decision to eventually launch on Friday, unfortunately, did come after the programme went to print. 
    You don't need to explain yourself or the actions of the club to him.
    Thanks, Olly, but it’s still poor. Someone should be coordinating the two, but obviously not you.
  • 4Real said:
    No mention of half season tickets, launched the previous day, in the programme on Saturday. 
    You don't need to explain yourself or the actions of the club to him.

Why all the snide comments at airman? Yes some of his points are negative but they’re also all, from what I’ve read, valid and reasonable comments where critical - regardless of when the decision was made to launch the half season tickets, the point stands that it’s probably not the best from a marketing perspective to not have made the decision earlier to make the most of this other enormous initiative you're investing in. 

lets be honest theres been 15 years odd of mismanagement of the club so a lot to criticise, and i think its good to scrutinise this stuff. I’m also interested to know some of the detail/ implications - I loved Saturday, but outside of the actual moment itself its good to be able to reflect and hope that in the long term it’s all helping to turn us into a sustainable business again that can, please god, own our own stadium, rather than just being a cracking one off Christmas knees up paid for out of the bosses back pocket 
  • DOUCHER said:
    Love that photo but moving home fans to the Jimmy Seed does not sit well with me, just does not seem right.
    agreed - i've always preferred the idea of anothe tier and / or a raised height on the East - would need to buy up a couple of houses to create more access half way down the stand but lets keep the jimmy seed small and lets keep the covered end the home end. The roof of the east is at the height of the original terracing - i know that coz i interviewed Roy King (client) and Kennedy Woodward (the designers) and Mowlem i think (contractors) when doing my QS degree and used it as a poject for my dissertation - got a desmond in the end coz i spent most of it talking about Charlton rather than design and build !!!  
    Land that was acquired behind the east stand to facilitate access/egress for the extra tier was sold and new houses have been built.
  • Sponsored links:

• Crusty54 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Love that photo but moving home fans to the Jimmy Seed does not sit well with me, just does not seem right.
    agreed - i've always preferred the idea of anothe tier and / or a raised height on the East - would need to buy up a couple of houses to create more access half way down the stand but lets keep the jimmy seed small and lets keep the covered end the home end. The roof of the east is at the height of the original terracing - i know that coz i interviewed Roy King (client) and Kennedy Woodward (the designers) and Mowlem i think (contractors) when doing my QS degree and used it as a poject for my dissertation - got a desmond in the end coz i spent most of it talking about Charlton rather than design and build !!!  
    Land that was acquired behind the east stand to facilitate access/egress for the extra tier was sold and new houses have been built.
    Yes but that’s at one end and a shame but I’m talking about half way along the stand - won’t  be cheap but there again not will a stand extension 
  • DOUCHER said:
    Crusty54 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Yes but that’s at one end and a shame but I’m talking about half way along the stand - won’t  be cheap but there again not will a stand extension 
    You need planning consent to knock down houses. Not sure that is likely to be forthcoming.
  • DOUCHER said:
    Crusty54 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    You need planning consent to knock down houses. Not sure that is likely to be forthcoming.
    No you wouldn’t be, nobody can be for sure but it’s not impossible that’s for sure 
  • I hope the ticket prices don't go up next season! Too old for all that bunkin in lark
  • Belv said:
    Belv said:
    @Airman Brown is right, away fans in either the east or west stand corners need to “share” the food & toilet facilities on the concourse, the police don’t like it all...
  • garfield said:
    Belv said:
    Belv said:
    @Airman Brown is right, away fans in either the east or west stand corners need to “share” the food & toilet facilities on the concourse, the police don’t like it all...
    Surely though if it’s all new, facilities will be built in with this in mind. 
  • edited November 2021
    Cant see this ever happening in this form. To entertain any huge extension to the Valley we would need a sustained period of sold out crowds in the prem, like 5 or 6 years of that at least. 

I think we could get around 40k regularly. We would need to be a consistent top half of the prem team to do that, and a decent chunk of the 40k would be "fans" buying season tickets just to watch prem footy, not actual Charlton fans. Which is pretty much how it was in our last prem spell. 

If we did achieve this, obviously there would be a completely new set of extension plans drawn up, taking into account any new land acquiring/building issues that have cropped up since the mid-00s.

• I hope the ticket prices don't go up next season! Too old for all that bunkin in lark
    It would be a tough ask to charge more for L1 footy if we are still there. 
  • Blimey in league 1 and talk of a 40000 stadium while 30000 are at home watching on a stream.