Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Match/Post-match (p16) Thread: FA Cup 1st Round: Charlton v Havant & Waterlooville : 6 November 2021

Comments

• Davison & Stockley did naff all with the ball in the first hour or so mainly because the midfield, apart from Kirk,  offered no penetration and the defence over hit long balls for Davison to run on to. None of Morgan, Clare or Arter can beat a man consistently and none of them tried to so it was easy for their 
    Not sure many L1 midfielders can beat a man consistently. But you’re right; sadly it looks like Morgan’s future lies in L2, or lower L1 level. 
  • Spongefoot 2?
  • Fumbluff said:
    Spongefoot 2?

Going back to Spongefoot 1:

I'm sure this wasn't a dream ?

Can't remember the year, but a pre season friendly at Ebbsfleet when a young Joe Gomez was playing Centre Back, and Simon Church was up front and he hit the ball so hard, the ball went over the top of the stand and was never seen again.

He went back to being Spongefoot after that !
  • cafctom said:
    Was at the game yesterday. 

Don’t have a great deal of sympathy for Havant regarding the attendance. They brought under 1000 down for what is one of the biggest cup games in their recent history.

They took 6,000 to Anfield in the past. I’m not saying I expect them to do the same for Charlton, but their turnout wasn’t exactly what it could have been.

And for those away fans who did make the trip, they spent half the game just trying to goad Charlton fans rather than sing about their own club. 

To the Havant manager - if you’re going to fuck about bringing on substitute goalkeepers to put up front then don’t expect fans to take the competition too seriously.
    Tough when you can only put 4 players on the bench.
  • It would be good to get to at least the third round and have some kinda cup run for a change .. Man U, Citteeeh or Chelsea would be a great draw in round 3, although any of the above would send a second team to play us it would make for a good game
  • A good friend does a stint on hospital radio (Kettering general) , and is on air when the draw is made tomorrow night, he is going to inform the inmates who the formidable Charlton draw to see if any body notices. 
    I once went to Kettering A&E but I don't remember being called an 'inmate'. Wow, how the National Health Service has been affected by years of Conservative government!
  • coincidentally i think Kettering at Selhurst might have been my first taste of the joys of losing to a non league side in the fa cup 
  • It would be good to get to at least the third round and have some kinda cup run for a change .. Man U, Citteeeh or Chelsea would be a great draw in round 3, although any of the above would send a second team to play us it would make for a good game
    A City second team would still included the likes of John Stones plus at least one of Mahrez, Sterling and Jesus!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/9341936.stm

When we played Spurs in 2011 as a L1 team, their starting team was still full of well known names like Dawson, Defoe, Kranjcar, Corluka etc while Modric came off the bench! We brought Akpo Sodje and Kyle Reid from the bench  :D
  • DOUCHER said:
    coincidentally i think Kettering at Selhurst might have been my first taste of the joys of losing to a non league side in the fa cup 
    I don't remember that.
    I thought Northwich Victoria was our 1st loss to a non league side in the FA cup.
    Yeah, just checke you're right - won 2-1 - maybe we went one down? i remember their fans erupting at some point - muist be the alzheimers 
  • Sponsored links:

• DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    coincidentally i think Kettering at Selhurst might have been my first taste of the joys of losing to a non league side in the fa cup 
    I don't remember that.
    I thought Northwich Victoria was our 1st loss to a non league side in the FA cup.
    Yeah, just checke you're right - won 2-1 - maybe we went one down? i remember their fans erupting at some point - muist be the alzheimers 
    It was at the height of the fashion for taking inflatables to a game. They had an impressive array of them from what I remember
  • When you see games from before 1992, you realise how good for football, the backpass rule is 
  • What I forgot to mention which annoys me is
    What a poor and pathetic turn out we had
    3800 or so and 1000 from H&W .
    that shows our poor support for the FA cup.!!
  • 1968CAFC said:
    What I forgot to mention which annoys me is
    I don't think expecting a high turnout to watch the second string play against the titans that are Havant & Waterlooville was ever on the cards to be honest.

• 1968CAFC said:
    Almost like it was a big deal for them and an expected outcome in a nothing game for us. 
  • edited November 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    I don't remember that.
    It was, we beat Kettering 2-1 after going one down. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    I don't remember that.
    Robert Lee and Paul Williams scored. It's worth remembering the attendance, in comparison with Saturday's - 16,001 at Sell-Out Park.

• DOUCHER said:
    I don't remember that.
    Robert Lee and Paul Williams scored. It's worth remembering the attendance, in comparison with Saturday's - 16,001 at Sell-Out Park.

Wow 😮 
  • Sponsored links:

• DOUCHER said:
    I don't remember that.

Kettering was 4th round!
  • DOUCHER said:
    I don't remember that.

Kettering was 4th round!
    And we were in the top flight, and they brought several thousand.
  • They brought 8,000.
  • 1968CAFC said:
    Kips said:
    1968CAFC said:
    OK Doswell you've made your point.
          Ok “ Doswell you’ve made your point ?
          What the F—K does that mean ?
          So your a football fan and you don’t like the FA cup, a 6500 attendance was not a lot to ask for, 😂😂😂😂👎👎👎

Doswell is the Havant and Waterlooville manager and he was moaning after the game about the poor attendance.

Kips was having a laugh with you 
  • 1968CAFC said:
    Kips said:
    1968CAFC said:
    OK Doswell you've made your point.
          Ok “ Doswell you’ve made your point ?
          What the F—K does that mean ?
          So your a football fan and you don’t like the FA cup, a 6500 attendance was not a lot to ask for, 😂😂😂😂👎👎👎

Doswell is the Havant and Waterlooville manager and he was moaning after the game about the poor attendance.

Kips was having a laugh with you 
    Exactly that. Thanks for clarifying Mike.

Apologies to 1968CAFC I was just joking around. 🤝  

You and others on this thread have made similar points on the attendance and it's certainly opened up a healthy debate around the pros and cons of the FA Cup and why attendances have dwindled over time. One for its own thread perhaps? 

I also really enjoyed reading the first FA cup memories thread that Toddy recently set up. 
  • edited November 2021
    It was a particularly poor attendance, even for us in these early FA cup games,  but i think it was a 'protest' attendance if that makes sense - i walked out of that last one under Bowyer, after years of similar and said that was me done with these cup games and if i said that then i'm sure many others did too. Jacko seemed to take it more seriously and for that reason i will be back for the next round. (although can't guarantee being at altrincham or gateshead unless a replay !!!)
  • edited November 2021
    Wow. Thanks for this. Now Mr W and I can re-live our ‘first date’. 
    The Charlton v Kettering video is superb.

For any youngsters out there; fast forward to 37.12 (that's how you foul people properly) 
  • Again on the Kettering game; 

They were no pushover non-league team. Robbie Cooke and Ernie Moss were two massively experienced & really decent strikers for a start.

I saw a lot of Cooke when he was at Brentford and he was a superb finisher, with a rocket shot. He went on to be a scout for David Moyes at Everton and Manchester Utd. Sadly Robbie died a couple of months ago at the age of 64.

Ernie Moss was a legendary figure of the lower leagues, especially at Chesterfield, where he still holds the record as top goal-scorer. 

Well done to Covered End for putting that video up. Brilliant.