Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Match/Post-match (p16) Thread: FA Cup 1st Round: Charlton v Havant & Waterlooville : 6 November 2021

Comments

• All in all, I really enjoyed going to the game today, a couple of beers before the game, the match, the goals, a couple of beers afterwards, it’s what it’s all about. Beats me why so few of us get it.
    Agreed - at £10 a ticket why not go? It was an enjoyable afternoon
  • What today did show was that restricting streaming doesn't make much difference to the gate
    what today shows is that people are not going to turn up for a reserve match anymore - sport needs to be competitive, with 2 clubs putting out the strongest side they can - the fa cup and the world cup both need an overhaul - very few people are interested in watching a half arsed reserve / 2nd rate mismatch - if sport isn't competitive or win at all costs, its pointless and dull.
  • All in all, I really enjoyed going to the game today, a couple of beers before the game, the match, the goals, a couple of beers afterwards, it’s what it’s all about. Beats me why so few of us get it.
    Yep.
    100%
  • edited November 2021
    I must admit when I look at our league games and it says the crowd is 12,000 it certainly doesn't look like it.....I think the RD years have taken its toll regarding our support
  • ct_addick said:
    I must admit when I look at our league games and it says the crowd is 12,000 it certainly doesn't look like it.....I think the RD years have taken its toll regarding our support
    Not sure it's RD rather than league one
  • Sponsored links:

• I have sympathy for Havant regarding the crowd but if the club do not take the competition seriously , don't expect the supporters. Shame as the FA cup used to be the highlight of the season.
    They played 6-3-1. Why would people go and watch that?
  • “Clubs like us rely on finances”?? Am I missing something? It was a home game. Did he think his club were due a percentage of our gate receipts??

Yes, 50% is there take from the cup tie.
  • Fair enough, had no idea. Is that normal??
  • JaShea99 said:
    Fair enough, had no idea. Is that normal??
    For the FA Cup, yes. That's why the non league teams would sometimes give up home advantage if they got a big club in the later rounds, as the income from the gate in a much bigger stadium went a long way. Away teams used to get a (smaller) cut from league games as well, but that got changed when I was a kid iirc. Not sure what the deal is for League Cup, Papa Johns etc these days though.
  • edited November 2021
    Was surprised that, even with a few Pompey ringers, they couldn't even muster 1k for a day out in London. 

Piss poor attendance from us though. I remember when we had Dagenham & Redbridge/Brentford in the cup in the prem days, and the whole ground was open and fairly full. At what point did we first only open 2 tiers for a competitive (non Johnston's paint) match?

The lack of crowd is what makes it feel like a friendly, not the line up
  • Sponsored links:

• I have to say that I do have some sympathy for H&W regarding the attendance.

Would we not feel a bit cheated if we got Man U or Spurs away in the third round, only to find that only a third of their normal home fans turned up?

Personally, I'm as baffled as the H&W manager.
    No.

If we got spurs away in the 3rd round, I’d be amazed if more that what they got against Vitesse turned up.
  • H&W posed no problems, defended well & kept it tight for 70 mins.
    Lee & Watson came on for Morgan & Arter.
    Lee changed the game immediately & we ran out easy winners.
    Burstow looks like a natural goalscorer and is going to be some player. 
  • What today did show was that restricting streaming doesn't make much difference to the gate
    I wasn’t going to go to the time, cost and effort to travel from Scotland for this match. I’d have happily paid a tenner to watch it on a stream, though. 

Would we not feel a bit cheated if we got Man U or Spurs away in the third round, only to find that only a third of their normal home fans turned up?

Why are you baffled?
    Years of FA Cup failure and managers and players not taking it seriously - supporters have had enough.
    But it was quite clear that Jacko would be taking it seriously.

I'm baffled moreover at the general disaffection for the FA Cup. Personally I love it. I was singing Charlton songs at the TV during the Banbury v Barrow match (admittedly I'd had a few beers).

You could have gone and done your bit to help them out.

You could have gone and done your bit to help them out.
    It wasn't on the OS fixture list so I didn't know about it enough in advance to book the flights.
  • Paul Doswell: "Really disappointed with the Charlton support today. We were hoping for 10,000 but it wasn't many. For them not to turn up and support us as well.... Clubs like us rely on finances and teams like Charlton putting together a decent crowd."#coyh #cafc

— Louis Mendez (@LouisMend) November 6, 2021
    The fuck? Sorry Paul, I didn't realise it was my job to keep your shitty non-league team alive.
    Haha...Paul Doswell showing himself up to be a bit of a prick here! Behave yourself mate. You had a good day out, earnt a few quid, got beat. Good luck for the rest of the season, now piss off!