Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2022

Comments

• Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Had a small e/w bet on Prime Venture @ 66-1. Nice
    Nice one @meldrew66
  • Options
    Ease of victory by Win My Wings prompts a sharp cut to 20s for the GN odds for Eclair Surf, narrowly beaten by her in the Eider. 
    The form of his Warwick Classic win had already been franked by the impressive winner and 2nd in the Ultima.

Still not guaranteed a run and was scratched from the race today because the ground was thought too quick. 
    If he does make the line up and the ground's soft, he certainly has the stats to be in the mix. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Quick pedigree note for any fellow weirdos like me from today's Scottish GN.

Sire of winner Win My Wings is Gold Well. As a mare, she inherited his X-chromosome, believed by some (though it's a matter of debate) to be the conveyor of the Big Heart gene. She certainly won like she's got a whopper.

Gold Well is also the sire of 2 runners next Saturday - Agusta Gold (also a mare and thus also an inheritor of Gold Well's X-chromosome) and Two For Gold (relative of The Last Samuri but recipient of Gold Well's Y-chromosome).

Agusta Gold's jumping leaves a lot to be desired but also of note:

Gold Well was the unraced full brother to Montjeu, who is the damsire (i.e. maternal grand-dad) of Fiddlerontheroof.
    That means that Fiddlerontheroof could have inherited Montjeu's X-chromosome (identical to Gold Well's?) via his Mum.

Moreover, Fiddler's sire is Stowaway.
    Of the sires represented next Saturday, the highest strike rate for their progeny making the frame in chases at 4m+ from 10+ attempts?

Stowaway 40% (from 10)
    Gold Well 36% (from 25) 

Stowaway is also the sire of Phoenix Way and Go Another One (who has form over 28f and is not the worst value each-way shot at 100/1)
  • Options
    Any guidance @PeanutsMolloy where Bob’s free bet at Ayr should be going in the McNational?
    Noticed my free bet pop up whilst on my way to Tonbridge yesterday, so had to be on the winner.
    Done an additional double on both the horse and football team.
    Schoolboy error on my part, the football team is shit.
  • Options
    Do we know if bet365 will be doing their usual offer?
  • Options
    Patience is a virtue!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Patience is a virtue!

• Options
    So my old friend and fellow cardinal @PeanutsMolloy what are you top three suggestions for this once a year punter?
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    So my old friend and fellow cardinal @PeanutsMolloy what are you top three suggestions for this once a year punter?
    Cheers Henry me ol mucker.
    It's a case of the early bird etc.... sadly. 
    There are 3 that have the best fit with winners or near-missers over last 6 GNs (the ground will affect relative chances) but, alas, they are all much shorter odds now than they once were even 3 weeks ago.
    There are some tastier prices among those that could win it but whose stat-profiles are more like those being in the mix at the business end but a panatela rather than a Churchill.

Tricky weather outlook that could scupper a couple of lively 50/1 shots, who'd like it dry. 
    And there are some contenders on any ground at 33~40/1 among the lightweights but they may not line up at Aintree

Best-fit with winners/near-missers profiles:

Fiddlerontheroof (best profile-fit with last 5 winners but would not want it Soft) - tipped when 25/1 but now 14/1
    Snow Leopardess (would not want it quick) - tipped when 20/1 now 9/1
    Delta Work (no worries on ground) - tipped when 66/1 but now 8/1

Strong fit with near-missers/placed horses (could win it if fate smiles):

Dingo Dollar (would want it as dry as possible) - 50/1
    Freewheelin Dylan (ditto) - tipped when 100/1 now 50/1
    Enjoy D'Allen - tipped when 40~50/1 now 11/1
    Longhouse Poet 18/1
    Death Duty (may go for Irish GN in preference) 40/1
    Eclair Surf (would prefer it Soft and not guaranteed to get a starting place) 14/1
    School Boy Hours (unlikely to make the cut) 33/1

If you fancy taking a flyer at a tasty 33/1 on a runner that has a question-mark over them but, if all's well, has the stats to win it, is guaranteed a start and is reasonably versatile as to ground, one to consider is Mighty Thunder.
    The question mark is that it will be his first run after a wind operation (his form this season has been poor, evidently because of a not-uncommon breathing issue). That's a standard op these days but it doesn't always work - in which case he'll likely bomb.
    A race like the GN will find him out for sure if the op hasn't worked but if it has, he won the 4m+ Scottish GN a year ago, after near-missing in the 4m+ Midlands National.
    He's a 2nd season chaser (like 6 of last 7 winners), has only 10.09 to carry and has a nice element to his pedigree that's shared by each of the last 5 GN winners and 3 near-missers (though also 10 others likely to run this year, including Fiddlerontheroof, Delta Work, Dingo Dollar, Longhouse Poet, Death Duty and School Boy Hours)
    His trainer won it with One For Arthur in 2017.

Hope this helps.
    Good luck.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers Peanuts

Mighty thunder worth a bob each way and half a dollar E/W on the three highlighted it is
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    No smoke without fire.

Chris's Dream, together with Chatham Street Lad and Go Another One scratched at today's Confirmation Stage.
    So Minella Times will be topweight and weights rise 1lb as mentioned last week
    Also puts the last one in now as Poker Party.

Next in line:
    • Death Duty GNOR144 (but seemingly targeted at Fairyhouse)
    • Domaine De L'Isle 144 (but current OR140)
    • Eclair Surf 143 (current 147 but bound to get rated higher than Fortescue tomorrow after Win My Wings' romp at Ayr but trainer wants Soft ground for him)
    • Fortescue 143 (current 147)
    • Commodore 142 (Topham entry)
    • School Boy Hours 142 (the same current rating as Commodore - would have to draw lots if Commodore stayed in at Thursday's decs)
    • Romain De Senam 142 (current 139)

There remain 3 with Topham entries (decs Wednesday): Battleoverdoyen, Samcro and Commodore
    And Elliott said last week that decisions still had to be made re Run Wild Fred and Coko Beach.
    Going to go to the wire for School Boy Hours but will he travel over if only a Reserve or stay home and target the Irish?
  • Options
    How many horses In the GN do you you usually have a punt on PN?
  • Options
    Cheers Peanuts. Perfect answer.

That’s why I asked, as have been getting on all those you mention above but obviously have to trim them off a bit. Weather’s looking a bit mental this week so I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Here’s to Mrs Peanuts getting a month long Caribbean cruise!
  • Options
    Jockeys being named for Ellliott's runners, suggesting that Run Wild Fred will run (Davy Russell) but no pilot as yet for Farclas (possibly injured?), Battleoverdoyen, Samcro (both Topham), Coko Beach or Death Duty (Irish GN).
    If none of these 5 run, either School Boy Hours or Commodore (both GN and current OR142) would be #40 (Commodore also has a Topham entry).
  • Options
    Great pic but i don't think Blaklion has a hope in hell of winning. I would go as far as to say no 13 year old will ever win it again.
  • Options
    Cheers, @RobinKeepsBobbin. Ive got some of Peanuts's tips at lovely long odds already, but will top up on his other suggestions using this offer, which is very good value indeed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    Cheers, @RobinKeepsBobbin. Ive got some of Peanuts's tips at lovely long odds already, but will top up on his other suggestions using this offer, which is very good value indeed.
    That is the offer they did last year but the rumour is they will do it again
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Great pic but i don't think Blaklion has a hope in hell of winning. I would go as far as to say no 13 year old will ever win it again.
    There's sometimes gold in them there each-way hills, even for 13 year olds.
    Vics Canvas as a 13 yo 3rd in 2016 on Soft at 100/1 - on my team and he was bloody unlucky not to be closer to the win.
    Bless The Wings as a 13 yo 3rd in 2018 on Soft at 40/1 - another that my model picked as one to have on the team and, idiot-that-I-am, I gave him the swerve cos he'd PU'd in the Irish GN on desperate ground 5 days earlier. Hells teeth, I can be a right plonker at times.
    66/1 for Blaklion - placed twice in a GN and won a Becher? Wouldn't surprise me at all if he placed if it were on the soft side - could be wrong but my model says he one of the top 6 on Soft. 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    That is the offer they did last year but the rumour is they will do it again

So it is.  I'll wait.
  • Options
    No smoke without fire.

Chris's Dream, together with Chatham Street Lad and Go Another One scratched at today's Confirmation Stage.

Next in line:
    • Eclair Surf 143 (current 147 but bound to get rated higher than Fortescue tomorrow after Win My Wings' romp at Ayr but trainer wants Soft ground for him)
    • School Boy Hours 142 (the same current rating as Commodore - would have to draw lots if Commodore stayed in at Thursday's decs)

There remain 3 with Topham entries (decs Wednesday): Battleoverdoyen, Samcro and Commodore
    And Elliott said last week that decisions still had to be made re Run Wild Fred and Coko Beach.
    Going to go to the wire for School Boy Hours but will he travel over if only a Reserve or stay home and target the Irish?
    So is Fortescue likely to get in?
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    No smoke without fire.

Next in line:

So is Fortescue likely to get in?
    It's 50:50 but I suspect he'll just make it.
    He needs 4 to come out.
    I'm probably making something of nothing re Farclas - Jack Kennedy, who rode him most of last season including for his GN 5th, was bound to be on board Delta Work, so maybe Elliott's just still finalising. No mention of a problem last week but he's not run for 139 days and jocks are already up for Run Wild Fred (Davy Russell, who presumably had the option to ride Farclas) and 40/1 shot Mount Ida (Denis O'Regan, who hasn't ridden her for more than a season). Escaria Ten too, but Heskin's retained by the owner.
    Let's assume Farclas does run in the GN - all is not lost for Fortescue.
    It seems pointless to give Samcro and Battleoverdoyen Topham entries unless they were intended runners on Friday.
    After all, he and the owner have got the fav Delta Work plus other livelier chances in the GN (they're 80 and 200/1 respectively for Saturday) and they're Elliott's only reps (2 of 3 for O'Leary) in the Topham (both 33/1). 
    If that's right and if Death Duty is heading for Fairyhouse, as seems probable, then it would just take 1 more to be scratched for Fortescue to get a run.
    Elliott was undecided last week where to target Coko Beach; Aintree (80/1) or Fairyhouse (33/1). He'd run with 4lbs lower mark in the Irish GN, which Elliott is very keen to win again. Seems like a no brainer to me.
    Alternatively, there's always the chance of a late niggle - as a Reserve, he'd have until Friday morning for a final chance to get in.
  • Options
    OK - completely disregard my ruminations yesterday about Elliott's jockey bookings for Saturday and absence thereof.
    All of his GN entries now have pilots named but, unless he's bizarrely decided he'll run them all to keep out Eclair Surf or ANOther, it surely means little.
    It would be nuts IMHO not to run Samcro and Battleoverdoyen in the Topham and Coko Beach off 4lbs lower in the Irish GN. And Death Duty was explicitly named last week by Elliott as his main hope for Fairyhouse.
    But who the F knows what he's got planned? 
    Thankfully I seem not to be in tune with how his mind works.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    What the F do I know? Other than you can't rely on a single word that the press reports about race intentions even within the last week - it's hardly a shock I know but it's f***ing irritating.
    So, now confirmed - Elliott has 20% of Saturday's field (8) and O'Leary 15% (6).
    With so much at stake, I think the BHA is inviting trouble at some point with so many runners representing a single owner.
    In any event, so much for Elliott waxing lyrical about Death Duty being his best chance in the Irish GN and being desperate to win it again.
    He runs on Saturday, in the slot freed up by Battleoverdoyen, who runs in the Topham.
    Samcro (off 3lbs higher in the GN, for which he's 80/1, than he would have on Friday, for which he was 33/1) and Coko Beach (who runs off 4lbs more than he would carry 9 days later at Fairyhouse, and may still do) join him plus Delta Work, Farclas, Mount Ida, Run Wild Fred and Escaria Ten to mount his GN assault.
    That leaves Domaine De L'Isle, Eclair Surf, Fortescue and School Boy Hours to rely on late niggles to get a run.  

Many apologies for the false hope for Fortescue and SBH to squeak in.
  • Options
    Probably a lot of devious stuff going on to keep out horses they see as dangers.