Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Accrington Stanley | Tues 19 October 2021

Comments

• edited October 2021
    Roddy is the main conduit for Thomas on the football side. On the admin and day today not so sure. So I've been informed.
    I don't see what day to day contact Roddy would have with the players, surely they only deal with the coaching staff?

Unless they're slagging him off for signing them!

Probably just the blame game. Fans like myself have focused on Roddy and how he got into this role and how. Easy for the players I guess to blame them as well if of course my source is correct. Especially when a large amount of the fan base are questioning.  For me if Nigel does go and Jackson and Euell take over and we improve massively then I think we will know what was wrong, then I won't be wasting anymore effort asking for the background to Roddy's appointment. If Thomas simply gets another stooge in situ and we carry on with this appalling form then I think the structure and project mission with Roddy can be seriously questioned. And then well. Colarado is a jolly long way away eh? But I would still clear the lot of them out if I was in Thomas shoes and go for Michael Beale or someone of his ilk.
  • Oggy Red said:
    I was really impressed with Gilbey last night.

Never let his head drop. His attitude and determination was first class, pressured opponents, always looking to use the ball and willing to bust a gut on driving runs under pressure.

If only we had a team of Gilbey's.

...we'd never win the ball back without fouling and we'd spongefoot all our shots? ;)
  • edited October 2021
    PWR.

Unable to watch the stream, but observe that Harry Pell, a player once not deemed good enough for us, scored twice for Accrington. What does that say about the paucity of our recruitment for this season?
  • clive said:
    clive said:
    Pell's second strike was definitely over the line. Did anyone else see Plymouth's comical goal last night? 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87L5EMOJz3w
    Sorry, but that game should have been abandoned. The ball just wasn't moving & their 3rd goal came directly from a Bolton player not being able to move the ball in front of him. 
  • Leuth said:
    Oggy Red said:

Never let his head drop. His attitude and determination was first class, pressured opponents, always looking to use the ball and willing to bust a gut on driving runs under pressure.

...we'd never win the ball back without fouling and we'd spongefoot all our shots? ;)
    Why is it your entire knowledge of playing football could be written on the back of a postage stamp? :wink:

• Dazzler21 said:
    Simonsen said:
    Morgan: 4.5 - Only really got going late on when Accrington dropped deep and gave him space to play. Looked like he was hiding a bit 1st half and that forced Mac to kick long. Could have easily backed Gunter up for 2nd goal (that's what they did...double up) and was very weak for 3rd goal. 
    I have watched that second goal a few times, Morgan did cut off the cutback to Gunter's left so has learned from  Matthews getting caught by that, his bigger error was to not scream for someone to cover his original position because that was exactly where the goal scorer came in.

Don't disagree on the third goal though, he should have come to his man much quicker and possibly taken a tactical booking had he not needlessly been booked first half. Also not sure how a foul was given for his tackle for the first free kick goal... That was a good tackle probably 60:40 in Morgan's favour.  
    I was in West Stand upper in line with that tackle- looked nothing wrong from there. Turned to my son and said I bet they score from this. For once........
  • Sponsored links:

• Official attendance last night given as 11,813.

Anyone any idea how many people were actually in the ground?
    I'd say about 6,000 (having missed 4 home games in 50 years).
    Wow. That is some record.

Just out of interest were you ill for those games? Or ever had one where you just couldn't be bothered?
  • Official attendance last night given as 11,813.

Anyone any idea how many people were actually in the ground?
    I'd say about 6,000 (having missed 4 home games in 50 years).
    Wow. That is some record.

Just out of interest were you ill for those games? Or ever had one where you just couldn't be bothered?
    3 weddings and one stag weekend.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Leuth said:
    Oggy Red said:

Why is it your entire knowledge of playing football could be written on the back of a postage stamp? :wink:

Obviously ballwinning and finishing aren't the sum total of Gilbey's job - he gives legs, energy, carrying and such - and others are supposed to do those jobs. As for your post, well, sorry about knowing nothing I guess. Good luck with your Gilbey cloning experiments 
  • I see a tweet from last night from a fan who said "why leave it so late to bring on Conn Wash think he came on and changed the game"

Alex Gilbey and Connor liked the post!

This doesnt mean it as a stone cold fact but I do believe these players arent playing for manager anymore and have lost total faith.
    I remember after Stockley scored against Fleetwood, the camera panned to the celebrations on the bench, and Connor Washington could not have looked more miserable sat there.
  • Ben18 said:
    I see a tweet from last night from a fan who said "why leave it so late to bring on Conn Wash think he came on and changed the game"

This doesnt mean it as a stone cold fact but I do believe these players arent playing for manager anymore and have lost total faith.
    I remember after Stockley scored against Fleetwood, the camera panned to the celebrations on the bench, and Connor Washington could not have looked more miserable sat there.
    To be fair he was in Fleetwood...
  • Ben18 said:
    I see a tweet from last night from a fan who said "why leave it so late to bring on Conn Wash think he came on and changed the game"

Something smells fishy ?
  • Ben18 said:

Something smells fishy ?
    Everything smells fishy in Fleetwood.

• Their number 9, Bishop is about 10x the target man Stockley is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stockley on form gets in pretty much every team in this league... he has been complete wank this season but some people have very short memories 
  • clive said:
    clive said:
    Pell's second strike was definitely over the line. Did anyone else see Plymouth's comical goal last night? 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87L5EMOJz3w
    Sorry, but that game should have been abandoned. The ball just wasn't moving & their 3rd goal came directly from a Bolton player not being able to move the ball in front of him. 
    Think the third was in injury time, and after a late monsoon, so a bit pointless to call it off at the end.
  • I have just joined the site as my grandson is a member of the Academy and should gain his first Wales U15 cap in a couple of weeks.
    I have watched  three or four games and, apart ftom from Sheffield Wednesday, it has been crap.
    Last night was unforgivable. The players seem devoid of ideas, de-motivated, playing without a plan, lacking energy and mostly letting the shirt down. One guy in particular looked like an out of control sky diver trying to swat a fly.
    To me the team lack physicality and endeavour 
    Next season it  could be playing Bromley and on current form they would lose.
    I am not anti Charlton. I think it is a lovely club which has lost its way.
    Sorry but that's how I see it.

Blimey mate that's a hell of a first post. Come on here and tell us what we already know that our team is shite ! Ofcourse it is its bloody Charlton it's what we do 😂

On a serious note welcome and hopefully your grandson enjoys his time with us. By the way when he get to 18 if he does off to another club following the bucks we know who to speak too 🤭🤭🤭
  • Last night was as shit as I’ve witnessed in a while. Adkins has no idea when it comes to set up a side to win a game. Full backs exposed every time. No support from the wide players to help them out.

Midfield too narrow. Morgan in a holding role! Would rather play Watson if that’s what Adkins things is acceptable. 

Centre half’s failing to win a header from a goal kick and would rather let it bounce.

A change is needed before Saturday on the manager front as half the players don’t have any idea what they are supposed to do tactically. Washington on late goes to show you need players with that energy from the start. 
  • Oggy Red said:

Gilbey and Washo are old mates from their Newport County days together.

It's because of Washo that Gilbey signed for Charlton.

Yet, incredibly, they are still mates.

• I'd go with something like this against Sunderland:
                                              Henderson
    Matthews                   Lavelle              Famewo                    Purrington
                                                 Watson
                                   Dobson                   Gilbey
                                                 Lee
                                  Leko                    Stockley
                                              Henderson
    Matthews                   Lavelle              Famewo                    Purrington
                                                 Watson
                                   Dobson                   Gilbey
                                                 Lee
                                  Leko                    Stockley
    I wouldn't. 

I'd go flat 4-4-2

"Er, yeh hello it's Chris Parkes.  Sorry but the bus has broken down.  Could you possibly reschedule until Zynex invents a time machine that either takes us all back to 1998 or 2019?

• We certainly need to ditch the wingers. I think it is what is killing us more than anything else.