Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Accrington Stanley | Tues 19 October 2021

Comments

• I have no words.
    I’ve got one. W...
  • Tonight’s Standard, I kid you not…..

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/baby-names-lucifer-more-popular-nigel-trevor-royals-b961276.html

“Pour one out for a Nigel if you know one — although chances are you don’t, for according to the ONS the name is on the verge of extinction. Its annual record of baby names found that there were no little Nigels registered in the United Kingdom last year (or, statistically, two at most)………Meanwhile, for obvious reasons, no one wants to send their child out into the world as a Nigel; think of the obstacles he’d face.”

Let’s hope that our Nigel is put out of his misery and our misery please once and for all by Sandguard. He can point him in the direction of the home of Nigel’s at Selhurst Park

• If there is to be a cull should the Pelchen algorithm be included?

Recruitment analysts Ruben Sammut and former academy graduate Aaron Barnes, work with the Australian-based Dan Pelchen to analyse the data from an algorithm Pelchen has built for the club over the last 12 months to highlight players based on the club’s intended playing style. 

A Thomas Driesen you mean. 
  • If there is to be a cull should the Pelchen algorithm be included?

Recruitment analysts Ruben Sammut and former academy graduate Aaron Barnes, work with the Australian-based Dan Pelchen to analyse the data from an algorithm Pelchen has built for the club over the last 12 months to highlight players based on the club’s intended playing style. 

The algo was hacked by Palace fans pre transfer window
  • iansarge said:
    was another disappointing result and totally deserved - but  - those 10 minutes after half time we had a team that fought, seemed to want to make a proper physical challenge, make runs into space and look to play football - the crowd really got behind the team it felt like our Charlton were back - then we let in a soft tap in and we fell apart again - was expecting Bolton all over again - I still believe the over-riding problem is lack of fitness across the team -
    Is that not NA and our coaches fault then
  • I sat behind the home dugout as I wanted to see how Adkins behaves and ‘manages’.

It was interesting. He micromanages the game constantly barking orders. On most occasions his message didn’t get through. It is hard for players to hear, granted, but I’m sure in a number of occasions they just ignored him. It appeared we weee surprised by and unprepared for everything Stanley did, almost as though we’d done no prep work.

Stockley involved in an argument with Euell for most of the first half. Gunter and Jackson similar. Adkins seems so far removed from our club and fans. He wants a payout as far as I can see. 

It was an awful performance. Famewo and Gunter barely found a red shirt. Lavelle I quite like but he needs someone with experience alongside him. Morgan is someone I’m separate to do well but he just isn’t good enough. Gilbey brought energy and tried to get forward. CBT anonymous first half but better second. Same for Leko.

Accy frustrated the hell out of me with their gamesmanship, especially Pell but they did it so effectively. The ref was easy to influence.

I’m usually glass half full but this evening it was pretty much empty. I can’t see how we pull it back without a change and I hope it is imminent.
    What was being said?
    This suggests the players are not interested in all three backroom staff, perhaps we should f*** some of them off instead.

• Rob7Lee said:
    Bailey said:
    Adkins comments show that he will not change his failing system, his midfield get over run, his full backs are exposed and he still believes he is right. He will still be here Saturday and still play a three man midfield in the misguided belief that he was right all along. Twenty past eleven and the prick is still drawing a wage, I give up.
    You are making the assumption it is him making those decisions, I'm starting to consider it might not be. You don't manage for 500+ games with a decent win rate and turn into Karel Fraeye v2 overnight.
    Interesting - weren’t we told that all teams
    in the club would play the same formation - the charlton way ? So it would make it easier for the kids to move into the 1st team ? 
  • Dreadful experience watching us at the moment. I felt numb watching the game and no different now. The NA experiment has truly run its course and it really is time for him to leave. Lots of players were still putting in effort towards the end. I now genuinely believe this is about using and persisting with the wrong formation, set up, style of play and tactics. 

It really bloody pains me to say it, but the whole coaching set up needs replacing, as many others equally have said. Not looking forward to Saturday or another game until change is brought to the table…
    Nail on the head - agree 100% - i watched the u23's a few weeks back and they played the same formation and were crap as well - this adkins / roddy way is a failure and needs to go before we are relegated - they can take the black box with them as well - feel sorry for TS but he needs to get some proper football people in their asap  - god knows what the players must be told to do - just marking an opposition player in midfield would be a good start. 
  • I have watched a bit of the U-23s and Bairstow, at this stage in his career anyway, isn't a lone striker. What is wrong with playing to a player's strengths?
  • Sponsored links:

• The longer he stays in charge, the more credibility Sandgaard loses with the fan base, it’s as simple as that. His position is untenable, not one fan wants him at the club and it’s going to become a lot more worse if it continues to drag on. He has to go, we are facing relegation if he doesn’t go! 
  • Not quite as shit as Saturday at Lincoln but shit enough yet again. 

There's no excuse for how poor we are defensively. Why isn't Purrington playing? 

Are there any free agent right backs available. 

I'd really rather see Pearce and Deji play this weekend. 

Famewo, Lavelle, Soare and Gunter.... recipe for disaster. 
  • What a night. Charlton stunk the house out again. Millwall last min winner, Lyle Taylor the hero. 

Just need to hear now that Matt Southall won the EuroMillions and find Alan Pardew on my side of the bed when I go up. 
    Also just heard that Thomas Dreisden clocked Football Manager
  • It’s a relegation battle now. 
    Only question is - do we want Adkins ?
  • JamesSeed said:
    Davison very lucky not to have equalised. He smashed on the volley it from 6 yards and it hit the keeper. Still prefer him over Stockley who could probably have done better with the header that was cleared off the line. 
    Could he? - Got it on target, yet felt like there were about four Accrington players on the line at the time
  • Always look on the bright side 

• _MrDick said:
    A few months ago, someone said this was the worst Charlton team ever. I disagreed. I’ve now changed my mind. This most definitely is the worst Charlton team in my lifetime and without doubt we are in danger of dropping down to the fourth tier of English football. Once rot sets in … I’m worried. My old man will be turning in his grave tonight

It is the worst Charlton team possibly EVER!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2021

• Harry Pell just said (above):

"The plan was to come here, upset the crowd ...... I think we thoroughly done that".

• What was the point of bringing DJ on?
    When I was a kid in the '70s I used to like playing Colditz the board game. There was a thing in there called a Do or Die Card. You would only play it if you were losing desperately. If it turned out well it would keep you in the game, if it didn't you were dead. Jaiyesimi was Nigel's Do or Die Card. He died.
  • Why the fuck we signed arter/Watson/Dobson/Clare/lee/leko over this fella is beyond me! 

We seem to look above our station, which is bollocks as we look league two standard! 
  • Samaritans here we come…
    What division are they in?? 
  • First half was dreadful, Accrington just walked through us. 2nd half we played well for nearly 20 minutes which actually was nearly enough for an undeserved point.

Their 3rd goal how can you let a player run across the box and get a shot away like that?

We're in big trouble 
  • ct_addick said:
    Terrible performance a complete shambles. No tactics. Accrington had so much time on the ball. The guy hasn't got a clue. Bye bye Nigel. 
    They man marked us when we had the ball. When they had it they moved into space. We stood around  clueless.
    And it has been the same every game. 
    It can only be the manager's tactics. 
  • edited October 2021
    God that was terrible.