Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Accrington Stanley | Tues 19 October 2021

Comments

• Chunes said:
    Mac is really not a good goalkeeper. I can see why the Cowley's let him go. His kicking his awful, he doesn't come for crosses and his shot-stopping is hardly brilliant.
    Yeah.....but other than that?
    He replies to fans on Twitter.

Possibly the most important aspect of a modern day footballers repertoir
  • edited October 2021
    Croydon said:
    Coleman's right in his comments, these players need to step up. 

I have no ill feeling towards Adkins, though I agree he needs to go, but I genuinely hate some of these players. 
    Definitely there with you. 

I'm not gonna slag Adkins off, it seemingly just isn't working out and the players aren't helping. 

Washington, Stockley, Davison the only three I can honestly say seem to be trying when they play, CBT & Leko in spurts, but everyone else just going through the motions. 
  • Chunes said:
    Mac is really not a good goalkeeper. I can see why the Cowley's let him go. His kicking his awful, he doesn't come for crosses and his shot-stopping is hardly brilliant.
    i watched Henderson in the warm up - he must have let in 90% of the shots and didn't even bother getting down for half of them - the ex millwall academy goalkeeping coach (recommended by Roddy's mate and who replaced our experienced goalkeeping coach, Andy Marshall) looked on disintereted   
  • Simonsen said:
    Morgan: 4.5 - Only really got going late on when Accrington dropped deep and gave him space to play. Looked like he was hiding a bit 1st half and that forced Mac to kick long. Could have easily backed Gunter up for 2nd goal (that's what they did...double up) and was very weak for 3rd goal. 
    I have watched that second goal a few times, Morgan did cut off the cutback to Gunter's left so has learned from  Matthews getting caught by that, his bigger error was to not scream for someone to cover his original position because that was exactly where the goal scorer came in.

Don't disagree on the third goal though, he should have come to his man much quicker and possibly taken a tactical booking had he not needlessly been booked first half. Also not sure how a foul was given for his tackle for the first free kick goal... That was a good tackle probably 60:40 in Morgan's favour.  
  • Nah it was a foul. I was close to it, he came and barged him over clumsily 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Croydon said:

I have no ill feeling towards Adkins, though I agree he needs to go, but I genuinely hate some of these players. 

I'm not gonna slag Adkins off, it seemingly just isn't working out and the players aren't helping. 

Washington, Stockley, Davison the only three I can honestly say seem to be trying when they play, CBT & Leko in spurts, but everyone else just going through the motions. 
    Elliott Lee 
  • edited October 2021
    Gribbo said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Croydon said:

Elliott Lee 
    Yes sorry, Lee has also been decent he would join the first three. Gilbey joins CBT & Leko. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2021
    Leuth said:
    Nah it was a foul. I was close to it, he came and barged him over clumsily 
    Fair enough. Looked like a challenge that would normally be allowed on the stream, but those have also been given at this level often enough hence my 60/40 comment. 
  • Chunes said:
    Yeah.....but other than that?
     Said it before last night, but here we go again - can we give Hendo/Harness a go?

Mac at fault for two of those goals last night.
  • edited October 2021
    cabbles said:
    Coleman is right, yes Adkins out etc. But these players need to grow a pair of bollocks to

How slow is MacGivillary at getting the ball out when he’s come and collected.  It’s a massive part of modern football.  People get through constipation quicker than he gets the ball out 
    I recall MacG picking up the ball second half at Lincoln. As players started to drift back up the pitch a parting of the waves style moment occured as Lavelle was left dead centre 15 yards ahead of him with nobody in sight (without the aid of binoculars). Lavelle was gesturing to MacG and he stood there ball in hand, looking left, looking right, like some kind of Green Cross Code advert yet the moment passed without a decision and Lavelle was certainly vocal in his distain.
  • I'm to upset to be annoyed. Our demise and just how effing awful we are is practically bringing me to tears and I've been through it in the 55 years supporting this club.
  • This is the game that's living rent free in my head.

I had it on my second monitor last night and didn't pay full attention, but caught all the goals and build ups and was left fuming, but I know now that it is the pain of what it represents more than the result that hurts. We are not Charlton the family club any more, we are not a big fish at this level anymore. 

We are a yo yo club and eventually a yo yo stops bouncing only to begin again... is this our reset are we to become a L1/L2 yo yo now?
  • Reset. Reset, Reset.

If Thomas Sandgaard gets on that plane back to Colorado and Nigel Adkins is still in a job then we must assume that he is playing the long game. The Championship via League 2.

The only advantage in waiting until we lose at Sunderland is at least the first game will be at home to Doncaster which will be more of a 50/50 match for the caretaker manager.  (Unless they have a manager that they had already sounded out about the job in the last month ?)

I said give Adkins 15 games to get the team playing to his shape, tactics, etc and then make a decision.

This has to be brought forward to 13 or 14 games as we are imploding quicker than a falling star.

Reset: the aim is now to stay in League 1 for this 21/22 season.
  • Reading a lot of “the players are to blame”.

If Nigel doesn’t know his best 11, formation or playing style then how the hell are the players supposed to?

I don’t think many of the players can be criticised for lack of effort. It is one man’s job to turn that effort into a fluid and efficient team.

Get him gone.
  • Any decent manager, considering our form, would have parked the bus for a few games, not Adkins, on Saturday he will still pick a three man midfield and stand there wondering why they are getting overun by four opposition midfielders. He will then start scratching his head as to why his narrow three man midfield does not come across and cover the full backs. Do the maths you thick 'effing Northerner or get TS's out of jail and resign.
  • Sponsored links:

• Official attendance last night given as 11,813.

Anyone any idea how many people were actually in the ground?
  • Official attendance last night given as 11,813.

Anyone any idea how many people were actually in the ground?
    Less than 11,813.
  • too many changes mean that once the (ever changing) team settles down and gets organised, we are already a goal or two behind .. once the penny drops with players, all too often far too late in the game, we look a lot better .. BUT, of course, because we lost said game, Adkins makes yet more changes and the self defeating cycle starts all over again
  • No change and we're down. We can't change the players (and honestly who'd have most of them at the moment). We can change the manager.
    Expect Sunderland to put more than 4 past us at the weekend. 
  • It would be interesting to know the number of "belters / worldies" scored against us the past few years.

Our wall and general defending outside the penalty area just means players have to recreate shooting practice from training. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Croydon said:

I'd probably add Gilbey to the list, though his effort last night resulted in little more than free kicks for Stanley. Would remove Stockley as well, as bar the goal last night he was a ghost.