Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Accrington Stanley | Tues 19 October 2021

Comments

• DOUCHER said:
    Chunes said:
    Mac is really not a good goalkeeper. I can see why the Cowley's let him go. His kicking his awful, he doesn't come for crosses and his shot-stopping is hardly brilliant.
    i watched Henderson in the warm up - he must have let in 90% of the shots and didn't even bother getting down for half of them - the ex millwall academy goalkeeping coach (recommended by Roddy's mate and who replaced our experienced goalkeeping coach, Andy Marshall) looked on disintereted   
    Over the hill goalie joins an over the hill club.

• Croydon said:
    clive said:
    Gunter for their second is just painful to watch. How is he so bad?
    Having watched the lowlights now, I believe our defenders were playing that game I remember from childhood parties...

Statues. 
  • Yes confirmed by a very good source that the players are no fans at all of Adkins or Roddy. It's a mess.
  • Yes confirmed by a very good source that the players are no fans at all of Adkins or Roddy. It's a mess.
    They may have a point, but they're such a bunch of ****s if this is true
  • edited October 2021
    Yes confirmed by a very good source that the players are no fans at all of Adkins or Roddy. It's a mess.
    Why Roddy out of interest? Adkins for obvious reasons but I suppose i'm unsure of how much Roddy has input on that side of things. 

Edit: Not sticking up for Roddy...plain to see he offers nothing but we have only seen that from the transfer side. 
  • Roddy is the main conduit for Thomas on the football side. On the admin and day today not so sure. So I've been informed.
  • clive said:
    Pell's second strike was definitely over the line. Did anyone else see Plymouth's comical goal last night? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    Mac is really not a good goalkeeper. I can see why the Cowley's let him go. His kicking his awful, he doesn't come for crosses and his shot-stopping is hardly brilliant.
    All the traits of a Scottish Goalkeeper. 
  • Roddy is the main conduit for Thomas on the football side. On the admin and day today not so sure. So I've been informed.
    I don't see what day to day contact Roddy would have with the players, surely they only deal with the coaching staff?

Unless they're slagging him off for signing them!

• Dazzler21 said:
    Everything else aside, those two Pell free kicks were bloody marvellous, hard, accurate and both should have been goals. Shows what can happen when an underperforming player rebuilds themselves over years. 

Has Adkins gone yet?
    It shows what can happen when the brain dead opposition line up a 3 man wall, giving you a free shot at goal for the first.
    For the second Morgan stood apart from the wall giving Pell another free shot on goal.
    Absolute effin basics.
  • clive said:
    clive said:
    Pell's second strike was definitely over the line. Did anyone else see Plymouth's comical goal last night? 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87L5EMOJz3w
    Brilliant!
  • Croydon said:
    clive said:
    Gunter for their second is just painful to watch. How is he so bad?
    Not good but Morgan did nothing to help. Contrast that to their efforts in doubling and trebbling up on Leko. A winger can always beat a full-back, so double up when it's possible...and looking at the footage, it was easily possible. 
  • clive said:
    Papa Smurf is absolutely hopeless. Primary culprit for goals 2 and 3 (that's not disregarding the others' culpability). I never thought I'd say this but where on earth are Purrington and Matthews? I'm sure either could have done better.
  • Considering how much Nigel likes to change the starting eleven (essentially just hoping the next bunch of frauds are less shit than the previous lot), it's quite baffling that Dobson appears to have been frozen out. Given how piss poor our central midfield has been you'd think he'd be given another chance,  at the very least you'd get energy and effort.
  • Official attendance last night given as 11,813.

Anyone any idea how many people were actually in the ground?
    I'd say about 6,000 (having missed 4 home games in 50 years).
  • Sponsored links:

• Watching the goals again, thought Mac was late going for Pell's freekick (the second freekick was bloody unstoppable and should have counted). Their second (and effectively the killer goal) was just awful. Gunter opened up to allow the cross and Souare appeared to be running to mark the post rather than Pell. People talk about doubling up with the winger dropping back to support but the likes of Solly wouldn't have been turned by third division players like both Gunter and Matthews have in recent matches. 

Fair play to Gilbey for effort and both Leko and B-T are dangerous at this level. But the rest of them are either not up to standard (Clare and Morgan as examples) or heads need clearing (Famewo and Souare). Stockley remains a frustration - good defending corners but suddenly unable to score with his head at the other end.

Word on Pell. Hated him last night. Conning the ref and provoking opposition at every opportunity. But on reflection (and having watched his post match interview) I would love to see him in a Charlton shirt winding up the opposition and crashing in 30 yard free kicks.
  • edited October 2021
    MacG: couple of saves but can't position a wall
    Gunter: adequate despite no cover
    Lavelle: slow, reads game poorly, positionally suspect, ropey distribution
    Famewo: looked like the worst of Naby Sarr with none of the physicality 
    Souaré: jointly culpable for one goal
    Clare: the invisible man - what was his role? looked distraught when subbed but the biggest surprise was his shirking was tolerated so long
    Gilbey: our best by a distance which is faint praise indeed, industrious, passionate with some dodgy decision making, he doesn't deserve to have to carry shirkers and makeweights all around
    Morgan: first half was hopeless looked like a little boy, 4 "attempts" to pass, no pressure stationary ball and the outcomes were humiliating - looked a different player 2nd half 
    Leko: no balls no passion and little sign of much intelligence, as soon as it doesn't exactly run for him just as he wants his shoulders go and he shuts down, I lost count of the times he had his back to play with no pretence of interest in what was happening let alone what he's paid to do
    Stockley: tireless and industrious as ever but like Gilbey his performance is hamstrung by the shirkers and makeweights
    B-T: maybe 3 contributions in 70 odd minutes, 
    Referee: first free kick from which Pell scored wasn't a foul in basketball let alone football - set the tone for a reprehensible performance of wanton idiocy Accrington had him sussed inside 10 minutes and played him for the mug he is - booked players for minor infringements, disregarded much worse transgessions (Souaré) bellyached constantly about timewasting, holding etc but booked one player after 89 minutes then added time only for 'injury' interruptions.  Officials of his calibre and the douche on the Curbside touchline (yellow flag) are stains on the game undermining its integrity
    Trouble is the charlatans in red masquerading as CAFC were so utterly dreadful that Sam Allison and his underling weren't in the top 10 of last night's walk of shame

Washington: he'll be as baffled as anyone how it took 73 minutes for his skill and professionalism to be recognised as valuable, he ran further, faster and harder in his 20 minute cameo than about 7 others added together for the whole game
    Davison: same as Washington
    DJ: his introduction in injury time to a lost cause was appropriate reflection of his professionalism

Adkins seems not to recognise the scale of our defensive inadequacy and sends out a lineup with zero midfield cover for those desperately poor defenders.  As a consequence those hapless cloggers are simply walked past by the opposition to score at will.
    Accrington were not in a false position before that game.  Their recent form was poxy.  Yet they scored 2 facile goals from open play, Pell got the ball in twice from long range free kicks and MacGillivray was much the busier goalie.  All this from a poor team, with a one dimensional approach who shamelessly wasted time all the while they were ahead. Simple effort comfortably outclassed Adkins ragtag mismatched rabble of halfwits, shirkers and makeweights.  Adkins does nothing about any of it for 73 minutes - in short not doing his job properly or at all.
    Coleman makes the absolute best from limited resources - Adkins throws random names at a predetermined "shape" and watches its inevitable failure.  Even Nero did something while his Rome burned.
    Adkins's only rival for worst Charlton manager in 25 years is Karel Fraeye - Stephen Henderson's sense of déja vue must be horrifying!
  • We are at Sunderland this Saturday, wonder how many of our older supporters can remember the 1956/57 season our last in the old 1st Division for many years. We lost 8-0 at Sunderland and this finished Jimmy Seed's long mainly decent reign. I was still at junior school. Really hope this is a bad omen as can be the last straw for Adkins. Any decent manager would resign as he did at Hull City. Job far too much for him!
  • One bright(ish) development last night: plenty of applause and no audible booing of the (very brief) taking the knee
    Seems the utter shit performances put off the majority of those bigots turning up.
    Shame that this new depth of utter shit performance will put off better people too. 
  • Official attendance last night given as 11,813.

Anyone any idea how many people were actually in the ground?
    I'd say about 6,000 (having missed 4 home games in 50 years).
    It was closer to 7,000. That’s not a guess.
  • Harry Pell has been a journey man midfielder even though you would have thought he was a class striker the way he roughed up our defenders and struck the ball so cleanly even though the wall had no cement in it and was a man light. To do it twice was amazing for a 29 year old guy who has only ever played in the lower divisions of the EFL.

He was robbed of a hat trick as no VAR and did an impression of Lyle Taylor where you wind up the opposition players and crowd during a game and go to war. Harry had Fire in his belly to perform.
    NO BATTLE, NO VICTORY.

• Was it in..?