Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are We Getting Relegated?

Comments

• Options
    mascot88 said:
    He's got to go - 

Christ wilder (give him a couple of million a year in wages) plus his backroom staff plus 10 million to spend - we are either serious or we aren't - so far we very clearly aren't. 

Or has TS spent millions just to play guitar in front of 20k people live - 

He is a classic corporate guy trying to transpose those techniques onto an environment that is unique and a "business like no other" as Curbs puts it. 

We need someone who has been there and done it and is a bit hard (Carry on meme here please). a furious Adkins is not intimidating - a young team need a figurehead - a leader - someone to clip them round the ear - this New Age everything is brilliant doesn't cut it in division 3 with a bunch of old pros and up-comers. 

We've seen this all before - staying up is now the only priority - we could attract players previously because of Bowyer we don't have that draw anymore - so we need another top pro turned manager or an experienced head who we fund - fully. 

"It's a shite state of Tommy and no amount of fresh air is going to make any fucking difference" 

This is quite good.

I don't know if Wilder is the answer, but I suspect that Sandgaard has underestimated the cost of everything ... so the odd £10 million here or there may be a problem.

He needs investment partners.  And he needs good advice.

Step 1 ... you have to ask for it, Thomas.
  • Options
    We are talking about survival in L1 against the likes of Morecombe, Accrington, Crewe and Cambridge, money isn't the issue
  • Options
    Were shit , really shit and I think we are looking the worst Charlton squad in the history of our great club. However saying that for us to be relagated even from now would be an absolute catastrophy
  • Options
    We're in a relegation battle make no mistake. Time will tell though and it's still too early to predict.

However there are a number of warning signs;

1. We are rudderless, both on and off the field. And a rudderless ship ultimately will get lost and sunk. There's not a single player I can see is true captain material, and you need leaders out there, we've none, armband or otherwise. There's no real leaders away from the pitch either.
    2. Recruitment has been dire. Yes we've brought In some decent players at least on paper for this level, but a team they are not especially the way we set up, anyone remember Ajose? We've a team of Ajose's right now.
    3. Adkins seems to be way out of his depth to get the best from what he has and ultimately seems to play the wrong players and formation every single game almost. Playing Leko & Kirk as wide men is suicide for our full backs, neither are any good at tracking back to provide cover on a regular enough basis so simply exposes the defence time and time again. I honestly think a lot of top 6 National league side teams would score against us right now.

Forget play off's, if we want to stay in this league Adkins or A N Other needs to go back to basics and to start with and make us hard to beat. The back four aren't terrible at this level, but they need protection, we miss Pratley massively here and elsewhere as well as others like Maatsen (when he played on the wing) even JFC, Miller and players like Shinney.

Two clean sheets all season in the league tells you everything you need to know. Think the last one was against Wednesday on the 7th August....

If this 'run' goes on for the next 3-4 games and Adkins remains in charge then I fear the worst. It's hard on current form seeing us get much from Accrington other than a single point and almost certainly nothing at Sunderland. So then onto Doncaster who are the worst team in the division, any thing less than 3 points against them on the 30th and we could be bottom.

Then onto November which is a heavy fixture month, I'd expect mostly the U23's playing the two cup games, but there's still 5 league fixtures against Rotherham, Burton, Plymouth, Morecombe & Shrewsbury. It's hard to see November achieving more than 4/5 points at a push.

We could be entering December with less than 15 points from 20 games, we'd likely be 4-5 points a drift and that's got relegation written all over it.

Sad times.
  • Options
    “Give him a couple of million a year in wages” - behave yourself 
  • Options
    We're sleepwalking into relegation at the moment, I hope there's a plan to get out of this because it doesn't feel like there is at the moment. 
  • Options
    No way.

• Options
    se9addick said:
    “Give him a couple of million a year in wages” - behave yourself 
    Well if he wants us to be in Europe  :D:D within 5 years or whatever his ridiculous plan is, he needs to spend and spend BIG TIME. 

So attracting a guy who has literally been there and done it in the very recent past is worth the spend - there isn't a better qualified manager on the planet - he's done exactly what we want in the last few years. 

That's worth a few million, if TS is prepared to spend it - plus the other 10 million for players, plus wages - that would be a commitment to the club, that would be serious intent - that would be a statement of saying "fuck this we are on the up and we are getting out of this league." 

So far I've not seen much of that from TS to be honest - Although I hear his new single is out - Love/Hate or something sounds terrific. 

• Options
    Lots of new grounds to go visit, and lose at.
  • Options
    I'm working with Dorking Wanderers at the moment and we were talking about them getting drawn against a League One side in the FA Cup. They were hoping for the likes of Sunderland. I was dreading them playing us because I look at that side - a National League South side - and they play with purpose and direction. They know what their jobs are, even though they are part time. So I think we would lose if we had to go to their place. And that made me realise exactly how bad we are. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can I be the first to comment on this thread tonight.

The answer is an undoubted yes if this idiot Adkins isn't sacked tonight.
  • Options
    Doncaster on the 30th is becoming an absolute must win. Got some huge games coming up next month, away to Morecambe and Shrewsbury. If it’s get to double figures I think we are gone and won’t turn it around. November is going to be a huge month for us.
  • Options
    Even a couple of weeks ago I thought it impossible for us to get relegated but I think it might be. 
  • Options
    We are in the box seat for a good crack at it. I seriously doubt most of the clubs above us worry themselves at the prospect of playing us. We have a coaching staff that cannot sort a team out. The players look unfit and clueless. I think most of us supporters can see we are not competing from one end of the pitch to the other. 
    So if there isn’t a major shift in direction in the next week or two we look nailed on certainties to be playing the winner of the National league next season. 
    As Nigel keeps repeating the same nonsense I thought I’d join in repeating myself. 
    Nothing new to add apart from we may actually be slightly worse than a few days ago. 
  • Options
    unfortunately yes, we are unfit, clueless & carrying players who couldn’t give it a shit
  • Options
    YES.
  • Options
    Doncaster on the 30th is becoming an absolute must win. Got some huge games coming up next month, away to Morecambe and Shrewsbury. If it’s get to double figures I think we are gone and won’t turn it around. November is going to be a huge month for us.
    We have more chance of winning against Sunderland than Doncaster.
    We'll be more relaxed against Blunderland than Doncaster.
  • Options
    I’m always glass half full rather than half empty but we need to be top two form to finish mid table

sack Adkins before Saturday, write off Thr game with anything more than 0 points being a success and we stay up
  • Options
    Yes 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes and just sacking Adkins won't solve it.  If JFC takes our one free spot in January it has to be 1 in 1 out.  We need at least 3.
  • Options
    Even a couple of weeks ago I thought it impossible for us to get relegated but I think it might be. 
    This.

You see teams struggling in the relegation places & know that they will be ok. That it's just a blip & all it takes is 1 win & they'll  string a run together (a bit like Ipswich and Forest). But then you see teams & you know that they are doomed. That every week they lose. They let in sloppy goals & dont capitalise when they are on top in games (like Norwich atm). I thought we were in the first camp but it's starting to feel like the latter. The next 6 games are massive. Playing Donny at home is a must not lose match as if they win they will be above us & us then probably bottom. We also have Shrewsbury which again is a must not lose. I hate to say in late October that they are must win ones.....but it starting to feel that way.

Problem is Sandgaard isnt a football man. He's not even a Charlton fan (or wasnt until 14 months ago). Its not in his blood. He doesn't really understand. 
    Ipswich are now 5 points off the playoffs and 8 points ahead of us...

I agree, we don't look like a decent side, who are just needing the run of the ball to start a run. We look like a poor side with no identity
  • Options
    Yes, we are. Still at the mercy of Roland, back to being a toy rather than a cash cow, Adkins makes Slade look like Pep, don't know how the books/contracts work etc but we now have must wins already and something has to give. Otherwise Bromley on restricted sale potentially beckons. 
  • Options
    💯 yes on our current form. Over a quarter of the season gone, a team and manager in disarray, and an owner who is showing flaws in his business plan. In the immortal words of Turkish witnessing Gorgeous George go down “We’re f*cked”.
  • Options
    mascot88 said:
    He's got to go - 

Christ wilder (give him a couple of million a year in wages) plus his backroom staff plus 10 million to spend - we are either serious or we aren't - so far we very clearly aren't. 

Or has TS spent millions just to play guitar in front of 20k people live - 

He is a classic corporate guy trying to transpose those techniques onto an environment that is unique and a "business like no other" as Curbs puts it. 

We need someone who has been there and done it and is a bit hard (Carry on meme here please). a furious Adkins is not intimidating - a young team need a figurehead - a leader - someone to clip them round the ear - this New Age everything is brilliant doesn't cut it in division 3 with a bunch of old pros and up-comers. 

We've seen this all before - staying up is now the only priority - we could attract players previously because of Bowyer we don't have that draw anymore - so we need another top pro turned manager or an experienced head who we fund - fully. 

"It's a shite state of Tommy and no amount of fresh air is going to make any fucking difference" 
    "is this real life or is this just fantasy"

What league one team is going to pay it's manager almost 40k a week and spend 10m on transfers?!

As someone else said it's not really money that is the issue, we've actually spent a fair bit in league one terms. We're competing to avoid relegation with the likes of Crewe, Morecambe, Shrewsbury, Gillingham etc, it's not money that is the issue, it's having an inspiring tactically astute manager and having some leaders on the pitch. Having an actual style of play and a game plan, not just hitting it long to Stockley, being organised defensively. Teams with a fraction of our budget and supposedly inferior (on paper) players are playing us off the park week after week.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Carry on like this and the only thing that’s going to save us is if we get the ouija board out and summon up the spirit of Harry Houdini.
  • Options
    Rochdale were relegated with 47 points last year, Plymouth a few years back were relegated with 50 points as were Oldham the year before.

If around 50 points is what we need to survive then we're in serious trouble, 32 games to get around 41 points or 1.3 points a game that's pretty much a win one, draw one, lose one. Can anyone right now see us drawing one and winning one every 3 games? I fear this could be our lowest ever points tally per game this year.

I think we'll know by end of November, if we continue as we are the gap will become too big by then short of a miracle. We are in effect 6 points a drift already with goal difference assuming Fleetwood can pick up at least 1 point with their game in hand.

You then look at Saturday and have to expect that getting 1 point would be a miracle right now, but more likely we'll get thumped. Fail to beat Doncaster on the 30th and we'll likely be 8-9 points a drift, potentially below Doncaster if they turn us over and get something at home to Cheltenham this weekend (they have a game in hand as it is so could go above us regardless).
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Nope. 4 reasons why I don’t think we will be relegated. 

1)Doncaster & Crewe will be relegated, don’t think they will do anything but just be in the relegation zone

2) New manager bounce, Adkins will be sacked at some point.

3) January window, definitely spend some cash on players, zero chance we won’t bring anyone in. JFC is a level of quality type of player which relegation clubs won’t be able to bring in. 

4) Currently, got like a 28 man squad. Must be another players to get a result or two out of them.
    Four teams get relegated from L1 at the end of the season.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rochdale were relegated with 47 points last year, Plymouth a few years back were relegated with 50 points as were Oldham the year before.

If around 50 points is what we need to survive then we're in serious trouble, 32 games to get around 41 points or 1.3 points a game that's pretty much a win one, draw one, lose one. Can anyone right now see us drawing one and winning one every 3 games? I fear this could be our lowest ever points tally per game this year.

I think we'll know by end of November, if we continue as we are the gap will become too big by then short of a miracle. We are in effect 6 points a drift already with goal difference assuming Fleetwood can pick up at least 1 point with their game in hand.

You then look at Saturday and have to expect that getting 1 point would be a miracle right now, but more likely we'll get thumped. Fail to beat Doncaster on the 30th and we'll likely be 8-9 points a drift, potentially below Doncaster if they turn us over and get something at home to Cheltenham this weekend (they have a game in hand as it is so could go above us regardless).
    And I fear TS is probably oblivious to all this.  This is the problem when it comes to his understanding of what football is really all about.  You can have all the hope and positivity in the world, but for those of us who have followed football for as long as we all have, we see the grim reality playing out in front of us.

with each passing game it’s another potential nail in the coffin (yes, even this early on).  I have a feeling if NA is still in charge on Saturday, you’re looking at a Huddersfield/Hull 2016 type result.  We’re building up to it, most definitely.  We’re lucky the last 3 have been Fleetwood, Lincoln and Accrington
    Or maybe we've managed to find ourselves another mad man from far away shores who thinks he knows better (but with a bit less cash).

I'm finding it hard to believe that Adkins has become this totally inept manager that we are seeing, every single game the formation and team selection is off, tactics are woeful and the players know it. I know we moan about the players etc, but none of them I'm sure want to go out and get turned over week in week out.

I also find it hard to believe he's picking such different sides week in week out, it's like 4-5 changes a game, most games.

For me Adkins has either lost the plot completely or he's just a face and a coach and it's not even him picking the side or tactics.