Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Men's T20 World Cup 2021

Comments

• Options
    I doubt that this will be the team for Saturday's first game but it is the one I would pick:

Roy
    Buttler
    Moeen Ali
    Bairstow
    Livingstone
    Morgan
    Billings
    Willey
    Adil Rashid
    Wood
    Mills

This leaves out Malan, Tom Curran, Jordan and Woakes
    You normally pick Root and Lawrence though... 

:D 
  • Options
    Now, before anyone thinks I'm mad (well more than those do already) there is a player who I think would actually do better than most on these slow low wickets (and he's a reserve) and that is James Vince. The "step and hit" merchants are clearly going to struggle most of the time and it will be the technically sound batsmen that do well. The last time Vince played in the UAE was against Pakistan when he scored 41, 38 and 46.

• Options
    /Chizz said:
    I doubt that this will be the team for Saturday's first game but it is the one I would pick:

Roy
    Buttler
    Moeen Ali
    Bairstow
    Livingstone
    Morgan
    Billings
    Willey
    Adil Rashid
    Wood
    Mills

You normally pick Root and Lawrence though... 

:D 
    I can't pick Root or Lawrence because neither are actually in the squad
  • Options
    Now, before anyone thinks I'm mad (well more than those do already) there is a player who I think would actually do better than most on these slow low wickets (and he's a reserve) and that is James Vince. The "step and hit" merchants are clearly going to struggle most of the time and it will be the technically sound batsmen that do well. The last time Vince played in the UAE was against Pakistan when he scored 41, 38 and 46.

Yes, these might not be the conditions for "flat track bullies"
  • Options
    PNG's catching today has been superb
  • Options
    PNG giving it a good go at chasing down Bangladesh's total of 181. They are currently 29-7
  • Options
    What's the biggest T20 victory margin? 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    What's the biggest T20 victory margin? 

Czech Rep 278
    Turkey 21

One Turkish batsman got 12 of them, another was 4 not out and there were 4 extras meaning that nine batsmen managed a single between them. In fact, eight batsmen being out for a duck must be some sort of record in itself

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/continental-cup-2019-1197819/czech-republic-vs-turkey-6th-match-1197846/full-scorecard
  • Options
    Bangladesh are now through and Scotland might go out despite beating them previously. It all comes down to the Oman v Scotland game coming up at 3.00pm where the winners of that game will join Bangladesh
  • Options
    If Scotland don't beat Oman they'll have mot deserved to qualify. Seems very fair to me! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PNG claw back some dignity 
  • Options
    An almost respectable 97 all out from PNG thanks to their number 8 and keeper, Kiplin Doriga, who hit 46 not out off 34 balls
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    If Scotland don't beat Oman they'll have mot deserved to qualify. Seems very fair to me! 
    If Bangladesh dont beat Scotland they'll have not deserved to qualify.....

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Scotland losing to Oman would be a very Scotlandly way to go out  :D

Reminiscent of the 1978 football World Cup where they lost to Peru, drew against Iran then beat an excellent Holland side 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Leuth said:
    If Bangladesh dont beat Scotland they'll have not deserved to qualify.....

....unless they absolutely shellack Oman and PNG afterwards
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Anyway, if Scotland don't beat Oman after running their best bat out first ball, they REALLY don't deserve to go through
  • Options
    If Scotland can't chase 123 against Oman etc etc.

(They apparently only need 121 due to NRR)
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    If Scotland can't chase 123 against Oman etc etc.

(They apparently only need 121 due to NRR)
    If Scotland get through on NRR then they don't deserve to chase it
  • Options
    Coetzer is batting like someone who has 53 runs in his last 7 innings
  • Options
    Well they did it ! 

Well done , lads !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done Namibia - through to the Super Sixes. Thoroughly deserved too with victory against Ireland today following their win against the Netherlands
  • Options

Roy
    Buttler
    Moeen Ali
    Bairstow
    Livingstone
    Morgan
    Billings
    Willey
    Adil Rashid
    Wood
    Mills

Like your side but agree it wont happen.

I'm a fan of Willey and think he is a useful player to have in the squad but would I have him in the first 11? nah.

He's a budget Sam Curran, only good in the first 4 overs of the game - once the ball stops swinging he has nothing. Mills provides the left arm variation we have plenty of spin options and Wood/Mills with genuine pace. I think Jordan has to play. He is the best death bowler in the county by a mile. No world where he doesn't play.
  • Options

Roy
    Buttler
    Moeen Ali
    Bairstow
    Livingstone
    Morgan
    Billings
    Willey
    Adil Rashid
    Wood
    Mills

I'm a fan of Willey and think he is a useful player to have in the squad but would I have him in the first 11? nah.

He's a budget Sam Curran, only good in the first 4 overs of the game - once the ball stops swinging he has nothing. Mills provides the left arm variation we have plenty of spin options and Wood/Mills with genuine pace. I think Jordan has to play. He is the best death bowler in the county by a mile. No world where he doesn't play.
    Willey is a better bowler than Curran, and a good ball striker too. But yes, I'd be surprised if they don't pick Jordan
  • Options
    Well done Namibia - through to the Super Sixes. Thoroughly deserved too with victory against Ireland today following their win against the Netherlands
    Bad news for Ireland though, I think it also means that Namibia qualify for next year's WC as well
  • Options
    Having just one player like Wiese in their team turns Namibia from no-hopers to a team that'll dispatch fellow Associates. The most one-man show I've seen in a while
  • Options
    NL, alas, a no-man show after their one man (O'Dowd) run out in the first over
  • Options

Roy
    Buttler
    Moeen Ali
    Bairstow
    Livingstone
    Morgan
    Billings
    Willey
    Adil Rashid
    Wood
    Mills

I've been a big advocate of Jordan but left him out because he didn't bowl very well in these two games. In fact, his recent T20 international form has been poor particularly from the perspective that, as a death bowler, one would expect him to pick up his fair share of wickets late on. His returns in the last year have been (in chronological order working back):

2-0-18-0 (NZ)
    3-0-35-0 (Ind)
    4-0-30-0 (Pak)
    1-0-12-0 (Pak)
    4-1-13-1 (SL)
    4-0-31-0 (SL)
    4-0-29-1 (SL)
    4-0-57-0 (Ind)
    4-0-41-0 (Ind)
    4-1-35-2 (Ind)
    2.5-0-38-1 (Ind)
    4-0-27-1 (Ind)
    4-0-42-1 (SA)
    4-0-29-1 (SA)
    4-0-40-1 (SA)

So overall this reads 54.5-2-477-9 so that's an economy rate of 8.70 and just nine wickets. However, when one leaves out SL who were a very poor side when we met them in June (scores of 129, 111 & 96) his stats then read 42.5-1-404-7. That's an economy rate of 9.44 and has only taken seven wickets and he's bowling predominantly when wickets fall late on.

The other thing that confused me a bit was that he only played in one IPL game in the UAE. These wickets really should suit his style of bowling and I just wonder whether the Indians believe that they've worked him out. Those five games against India during which time he's returned 21.5-1-233-4 (ER 10.70) suggests that they might have done.

Agree about Willey potentially only being able to bowl at the start but his opening spell against India in the Power Play only went for 10 in two overs. He then came back and bowled the 18th over and only went for six runs and took the wicket of Surayakumar too. Could it be that on this surface he doesn't need swing so much as pace off cutters are what works best?

I certainly wouldn't initially raise an eyebrow if Jordan is picked because he is in situ. I just wonder though  if, in playing so much franchise cricket, Jordan's familiarity has bred contempt. I hope not especially as he is a major asset in the field.

• Options
    Take a bow the Netherlands!

19-1 to 44 all out in 10 overs is an epic achievement! 
  • Options

Roy
    Buttler
    Moeen Ali
    Bairstow
    Livingstone
    Morgan
    Billings
    Willey
    Adil Rashid
    Wood
    Mills

Willey is a better bowler than Curran, and a good ball striker too. But yes, I'd be surprised if they don't pick Jordan
    They're much of a muchness for me. They both have the same strengths (new ball, left arm angle, useful lower order runs) but same weaknesses (no good after the shine has gone off the ball).