Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ongoing British Tennis…

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Vienna Open this week.

Evans has lost in straight sets to Carlos Alcaraz, world no. 38.

Norrie is drawn against Fucsovics, world no. 41.

Murray is on serve in the first set against 5th seed (and world no. 10) Hurkacz. The third time they have played this year - Hurkacz won the two previous encounters.
  • Options
    Murray wins the first set 6-4. On serve second set, 3-3.
  • Options
    Into a second set tie break.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Hurkacz wins the tie break 8-6. Into a deciding set. Murray had a match point on Hurkacz serve at 6-5 in the tie break but then lost three points in a row.
  • Options
    Murray serving for the match at 5-3.
  • Options
    Great win. Can he follow it up and have a decent run of wins?
  • Options
    Very good win that, good to see.
  • Options
    Raducanu in the Transylvanian Open tomorrow too.
  • Options
    Is Dracula the tournament director  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Once Murray's ranking improves he should get some easier draws.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Transylvsnia is, of course, in Romania where Dad is also from. Never let it be said that Dad doesn't know what's best for his Emma when it comes to warding off Dracula - especially if she should graze her knee again

Emma Raducanu After US Open Win Keeps Her Feet on the Ground - The New  York Times
  • Options
    Still incredible that despite winning a grand slam she's actually still looking for her first ever win in a WTA event.

I read that she's still without a coach though, is coaching herself this week and won't choose one until next year now. She needs to get that sorted asap.
  • Options
    Norrie beats Fucsovics in straight sets 7-6 (7-4) 6-1 to join Murray in the second round in Vienna.
  • Options
    Norrie beats Fucsovics in straight sets 7-6 (7-4) 6-1 to join Murray in the second round in Vienna.
    I imagine most commentators are very glad when Fucsovics is out, so they don't have to worry about mispronouncing his name  ;)
  • Options
    Raducanu struggling a bit here.
  • Options
    Fighting back - she wins the second set.
  • Options
    Got there in the end.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    And now showing off her Romanian skills. Bit incomprehensible for the rest of us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done Emma - important to get that first WTA win, pressure off now and hopefully more wins to come.

Funny that when the interviewer asked questions in English, she responded in Romanian and when a question was asked in Romanian, she answered in English!
  • Options
    Murray vs Alcaraz in Vienna later today, not before 5:30pm local time.

Alcaraz is only 18 but is already world number 38 after reaching the US Open quarter final this year. Murray did win their only previous encounter at Indian Wells in three sets.
  • Options
    Thank you for the updates Callum
  • Options
    No worries - although I should probably rethink my priorities lol.

Murray lost the first set 6-3.
  • Options
    No worries - although I should probably rethink my priorities lol.

Murray lost the first set 6-3.
    Loses 6-3 6-4.

Fell apart at end of second set and needed to serve better.
  • Options
    Shame for Murray who led that second set 4-2 and then lost four games in a row. Alcaraz gets revenge for Indian Wells.
  • Options
    Shame for Murray who led that second set 4-2 and then lost four games in a row. Alcaraz gets revenge for Indian Wells.
    He seemed to fall apart and his serving wasn't good enough.
  • Options
    That was a quality game of tennis. No shame in losing to Alcaraz, such a talented 18 year old. 
  • Options
    That was a quality game of tennis. No shame in losing to Alcaraz, such a talented 18 year old. 
    He is destined for the top.
  • Options
    He is destined for the top.
    Absolutely. He's not 19 until next May and is already inside the top 40, might even break top 30 after this week.