Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ongoing British Tennis…

Comments

• Options
    Sasnovich wins in straight sets. 6-2 6-4.

Emma Raducanu win in the US slam was a 5000 to one chance. She is now a target for all the other girls to beat and I expect her new found status to motivate her opponents while Emma is still getting used to the demands of being a tennis pro travelling the world. Plus it will be harder for her to have leisure relaxed time now she is famous.

This may sound negative but I believe she will struggle for a time and I wonder if she was premature is not keeping the coach Andrew Richardson for a full season and then see who is available. If you have a winning formula then may be best to keep with it for a while.

Emma Raducanu is a grand slam winner rookie professional tennis player.
    There's an Oxymoron in that sentence and no one should be surprised if she losses more matches in the early rounds. 

• Options

Emma Raducanu win in the US slam was a 5000 to one chance. She is now a target for all the other girls to beat and I expect her new found status to motivate her opponents while Emma is still getting used to the demands of being a tennis pro travelling the world. Plus it will be harder for her to have leisure relaxed time now she is famous.

This may sound negative but I believe she will struggle for a time and I wonder if she was premature is not keeping the coach Andrew Richardson for a full season and then see who is available. If you have a winning formula then may be best to keep with it for a while.

There's an Oxymoron in that sentence and no one should be surprised if she losses more matches in the early rounds. 

Listening to her interview after the defeat she's very level headed and knows she has a lot to learn. Seems very mature for her age.

• Options

Listening to her interview after the defeat she's very level headed and knows she has a lot to learn. Seems very mature for her age.

Emma is super intelligent on and off the court and with Serena Williams now at the end of her career the woman's game will continue to be very open with many different winners in the 4 slams.

Emma Raducanu emotional intelligence and Talent should see her come through this difficult phase of her career where see is a big scalp despite her inexperience.
  • Options
    Glovepup said:

Hopefully she'll be given the space she needs.
    Have you met the British media?
    Fortunately most of the tennis tournaments are abroad.
  • Options
    The US Open win was a fluke, she’s not at that level yet, think she is a year or two away, hopefully she doesn’t get sucked in and spat out the other side before then.
    As posted before, think she got rid of her coach far too quickly but seemed like she was advised to, the Murray’s perhaps? I know they’re part of her management setup.
  • Options
    I see Emma was brought back down to earth last night at the Indian Wells tournament with a straight sets loss to a girl rated 100th in the world.
  • Options
    Dan Evans on serve in the third set against Nishikori.

Cam Norrie faces Tennys Sandgren (yes that’s his real name) later on.
  • Options
    Dan Evans defeats Nishikori 4-6 6-3 6-4. Will face 11th seed Schwartzman in round three.

Cam Norrie defeats Sandgren 6-4 5-7 6-0. Will face 15th seed Bautista Agut in round three.

Murray plays 30th seed Carlos Alcaraz in round two tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    The US Open win was a fluke, she’s not at that level yet, think she is a year or two away, hopefully she doesn’t get sucked in and spat out the other side before then.
    As posted before, think she got rid of her coach far too quickly but seemed like she was advised to, the Murray’s perhaps? I know they’re part of her management setup.

I believe your wrong on the Murray's:
    Andy even said he would only give advice if it was asked by Emma. Jamie Murray organised the battle of the Brits during Lockdown when young Emma was selected to play a doubles match as a talented junior but he has his own doubles career to focus on.
    Judy was the Woman's GB coach but would have had no input with Raducanu.

Going from a wild card as a Qualifier to winning the Tournament was a Hollywood story and no doubt will make her the richest British sportswoman in the next few years but trying to emulate that feat will be very difficult and she could end up using more head coaches than Watford.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Judy Murray is a big player in the British tennis setup, I’m inclined to think that given Raducanu‘s sudden propulsion to the British no1 spot then Judy would have at least spoken to her, although the advice part was just me hypothesising; but isn’t Raducanu in Andy Murray’s management setup? (which Judy also is a part of).
  • Options
    Just checked she’s with IMG Management.
  • Options
    It's not unusual for exceptional young talents to win a grand slam early in their career and then fail to live up to expectations for the next 2 or 3 years. Serena didn't back up her 1999 US Open win for a long time afterwards and in the men's game Sampras and Djokovic had similar trajectories after popping their major cherries. 
  • Options
    Indeed, and it’s probably the making of them, because there’s a big difference when you’re aiming for something that you know is achievable compared to it appearing almost impossible.
  • Options
    Emma reportedly sacked the coach who was her teacher and guide for months before her US victory. She is now being 'mentored' by long term LTA time server Jeremy Bates, BIG mistake Emma. I have said before and repeat, the US win was a one off and I doubt she will win another grand slam. Her future is in the media, she is personable, attractive and eloquent, she'll do well in that environment
  • Options
    I make you right lincsaddick. Since serena won her last slam before taking mat leave, there have been 18 slams of which there have been 13 different winners.  Discounting Raducanu, 7 of those are one time slam winners as it stands.

The women's game is the most open I can remember and the stats are perhaps indicative of young players hitting the heights of a slam win too early and failing to cope with the expectation and pressure thereafter.
  • Options
    She’ll dominate the game for years to come. You don’t win a grand slam having barely played professionally by luck. She was always going to go out early in Indian Wells. The media attention has been on another level and she’s deservedly been enjoying the non tennis side of things. 
  • Options
    Perhaps doing some tennis practice would be more help than hobnobbing with the glitterati?
  • Options
    Emma reportedly sacked the coach who was her teacher and guide for months before her US victory. She is now being 'mentored' by long term LTA time server Jeremy Bates, BIG mistake Emma. I have said before and repeat, the US win was a one off and I doubt she will win another grand slam. Her future is in the media, she is personable, attractive and eloquent, she'll do well in that environment
    Saving this tripe for exposure at regular intervals over the next 15 years. 
    Good to see all the tennis experts out in force.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iaitch said:
    Perhaps doing some tennis practice would be more help than hobnobbing with the glitterati?
    Good for her 
  • Options
    Key game for Murray tonight - be good to see him back in top 100.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Excellent result for Murray against the Spanish 30th seed Alcaraz Garfia.
  • Options
    Well done, Andy. Next up Zverev.
  • Options
    Well done, Andy. Next up Zverev.
    Zverev has to win first.
  • Options
    3 British winners today!

The draw never seems to be opening up for Murray at the moment, assuming Zverev wins. He's consistently going a certain way through tournaments, then losing to someone he "should" lose to
  • Options
    Zverev wins in three sets.  6-4 3-6 6-1
  • Options
    Raducanu's second round opponent Sasnovich has beaten Halep in straight sets 7-5 6-4.
  • Options
    Raducanu's second round opponent Sasnovich has beaten Halep in straight sets 7-5 6-4.
    It does seem there are very few dominant players in the women's game at present. Results are very erratic.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Dan Evans is first on Stadium 1 today and his match begins shortly. Norrie plays later on tonight.