Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ongoing British Tennis…

Comments

• Options
    Basilashvili wins the first set 6-3.

On serve in the second set.
  • Options
    Norrie has won the second set 6-4 and now takes a 2-0 lead in the third… 
  • Options
    Great victory. He has really improved this year.
  • Options
    Norrie will be up to 16 in the world when the next rankings are released.
  • Options
    Great for British tennis,I do like the way Norrie plays the game,seems to be fearless
  • Options
    Norrie wins Indian Wells!

3-6 6-4 6-1
    congrats to our Springbok/Kiwi/Yankee/Brit hero .. who is now a real $ Millionaire  :) .. I wonder if he'll be moving to Monaco anytime soon
  • Options

3-6 6-4 6-1
    congrats to our Springbok/Kiwi/Yankee/Brit hero .. who is now a real $ Millionaire  :) .. I wonder if he'll be moving to Monaco anytime soon
    Well done Cameron, but I find it more difficult to get "patriotically" behind someone who didn't move to this country until he was 16
  • Options

3-6 6-4 6-1
    Well done Cameron, but I find it more difficult to get "patriotically" behind someone who didn't move to this country until he was 16
    Even with a Scottish father and Welsh mother? Doubt he had much of a choice where to live when growing up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What time will Norrie play? is it on prime i assume? 

I used to follow tennis alot more, mainly Henman and then Murray when he came along but have barely followed it since Murrays decline. Great to see him on the come back, but also good to see Norrie and Dan Evans in the top 32, for me it has come a bit out of the blue even looking at their results here and there i didnt realise they were doing so well. 

Mad people think Emma is a one hit wonder, as someone else has mentioned at that age you dont just come from nowhere, hopefully she has a good coach lined up and i am sure in a couple of years she will be competing for every major. Slight bias maybe, or is she going to be another Anna Kournikova who wastes her talent, or even Sharapova i would say? still very young but the world is at her feet right now.
    didn't Kounikova go a couple of years of only losing to someone else in the top 10/20 ?
  • Options
    She got a semi at Wimbledon (as did most of the men watching) and a few doubles titles, but never seemed to recreate that, yet was famous for her modelling and love life. Don't know if that was a cause of her not kicking on or not to be fair
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I used to follow tennis alot more, mainly Henman and then Murray when he came along but have barely followed it since Murrays decline. Great to see him on the come back, but also good to see Norrie and Dan Evans in the top 32, for me it has come a bit out of the blue even looking at their results here and there i didnt realise they were doing so well. 

Mad people think Emma is a one hit wonder, as someone else has mentioned at that age you dont just come from nowhere, hopefully she has a good coach lined up and i am sure in a couple of years she will be competing for every major. Slight bias maybe, or is she going to be another Anna Kournikova who wastes her talent, or even Sharapova i would say? still very young but the world is at her feet right now.
    didn't Kounikova go a couple of years of only losing to someone else in the top 10/20 ?
    Ultimately it depends how much you enjoy the sport. Raducanu is set up for a celebrity lifestyle and huge wealth after a single win on the tour - will she be in it for the long haul?
  • Options
    Surely her celebrity lifestyle is dependent on her tennis success? You don't hear much about Konta now her form has tailed off.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Surely her celebrity lifestyle is dependent on her tennis success? You don't hear much about Konta now her form has tailed off.
    That's not a great comparison. Konta has never been a head turner like Raducanu and she didn't make it to a grand slam final let alone win one. 
  • Options
    Konta needs to keep on ‘the circuit’ to earn a living still, Raducanu could quit today and be set for life.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Ultimately it depends how much you enjoy the sport. Raducanu is set up for a celebrity lifestyle and huge wealth after a single win on the tour - will she be in it for the long haul?
    I think that's kind of underplaying it a bit.
  • Options
    There are thousands of kids out there with the talent at their chosen sports to make it to the top,you see 9 year olds playing football and think they must make it.But the crunch comes,do they want to sacrifice their early years when they should be out on the piss with their mates ,to put everything into their sport in the hope it comes off.It takes a special kind of dedication,to leave home at say 15-16 go to a foreign tennis school and do nothing but be coached ,day in day out.So few come through,will Emma continue her success,or will she succumb to the already celebrity status she has ,and be gone in 3-4 years,who knows,I hope so because British tennis needs hope,not looking at grand slam 3rd rounds with not a brit in sight.
  • Options
    Massively unfair to suggest that Emma's head has been turned already by the celebrity lifestyle. It's not as if she's been knocked out in the 1st round of a year's worth of tournaments by nobodies

There was always likely to be a slight dip when you achieve something so unexpected, so young
  • Options
    Massively unfair to suggest that Emma's head has been turned already by the celebrity lifestyle. It's not as if she's been knocked out in the 1st round of a year's worth of tournaments by nobodies

There was always likely to be a slight dip when you achieve something so unexpected, so young
    Exactly, the only way she could have stayed at that level is to win every single match from now on, and that was never going to happen. She didn't win the Open due to anything other than hard work and dedication, and she's not going to just abandon that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Excellent victory for Murray.
  • Options
    The longest three set match of 2021, coming in at 3 hours and 45 minutes.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Murray loses 6-4 7-6 to Schwartzman. He had a 4-1 lead in the first set before losing five games in a row.
  • Options
    Murray loses 6-4 7-6 to Schwartzman. He had a 4-1 lead in the first set before losing five games in a row.
    Oh Andy!
    Part of me wishes he would just quit now, and stop diluting his legend.
    But if he just loves to play wtf does what the likes of me think matter
  • Options
    I dont think he recovered from his previous match,still think he will have a decent slam left in him,especially as the top 3 are now fading from the scene.
  • Options
    I dont think he recovered from his previous match,still think he will have a decent slam left in him,especially as the top 3 are now fading from the scene.
    Djokovic is hardly fading yet.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    After a hard fought win over Murray, Schwartzman beats qualifier Nakashima in the following round 6-4 6-2 and moves on to another qualifier in Brooksby for the semi final.

Murray just needs one of these top 20 wins / a favourable draw and he’ll get back into semi finals and finals soon.
  • Options
    Whilst I hope that you are right i don't share your optimism Callum. I believe he was defending a lot of ranking points at Antwerp from his win there 2 years ago. So I think things are likely to get that much that harder to progress deep into these tournaments as Murray's ranking slips lower. 
  • Options
    He did not have a good olympics and at the moment due to various reasons not playing many tournaments.Like Nadal and Roger,I think he will now start playing less and less,he is near 35 and even at his fantastic standard of fitness must start to slow down.Murray seems to be getting up to speed,playing tournaments and having some good results,I hope He can Join,Norrie,Evans in making a show at the slams.