Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ongoing British Tennis…

Comments

• Dan Evans lost in three sets. Cam Norrie won in three sets.

Norrie will face unseeded Tommy Paul in round four.

Murray v Zverev due to start at 9:30 UK time tonight.
  • edited October 2021
    Zverev wins the first set over Murray 6-4 after Murray had raced to a 3-0 lead.
  • Zverev wins 6-4 7-6.
  • Cam Norrie has beaten Tommy Paul in three sets to advance to the quarter final. He will play Diego Schwartzman who beat Dan Evans in round 3.
  • Blimey - he is looking at a shot at the top ten before too long 
  • edited October 2021
    Blimey - he is looking at a shot at the top ten before too long 
    The QF win puts him into the world top 20 for the first time - and Brit no. 1. 

If he wins the tournament, he will end the week at 16 in the world.
  • I think this is what the pundits would call a breakthrough year for Norrie.

He hasn't gone too deep in any of the slams yet, but from recollection he ran into the big 3 quite early in at least 3 of those. So hopefully he can continue this year's impressive form into 2022 and with a higher seeding avoid the big guns in those early rounds.
  • I've just seen that Raducanu has withdrawn from the Kremlin Cup. She said..

"Unfortunately I've had to make a tournament schedule change and won't be able to play Moscow this year but I hope to compete there and in front of the Russian fans next year."

"I look forward to returning to the Tour in the next couple of weeks." 

I think the point's been made by a previous poster, but perhaps it would have been better to just see out the remainder of the tennis season with her longstanding coach, allowing for a more seamless change in the off season. 

• Sponsored links:

• I don’t think Raducanu has been particularly well advised in terms of ditching her coach so quickly personally. There could be plenty of other reasons but I can imagine she will have tonnes of people, opinions etc being thrown at her. A period of stability is what I would have thought best at present 
  • What time will Norrie play? is it on prime i assume? 

I used to follow tennis alot more, mainly Henman and then Murray when he came along but have barely followed it since Murrays decline. Great to see him on the come back, but also good to see Norrie and Dan Evans in the top 32, for me it has come a bit out of the blue even looking at their results here and there i didnt realise they were doing so well. 

Mad people think Emma is a one hit wonder, as someone else has mentioned at that age you dont just come from nowhere, hopefully she has a good coach lined up and i am sure in a couple of years she will be competing for every major. Slight bias maybe, or is she going to be another Anna Kournikova who wastes her talent, or even Sharapova i would say? still very young but the world is at her feet right now.
  • Certainly a strange one when you've just won a Grand Slam under that coach and you've got no one else lined up.

Maybe there was a falling out.
  • Certainly a strange one when you've just won a Grand Slam under that coach and you've got no one else lined up.

Perhaps too many advisors...
  • It was my understanding that she only brought the guy back in for the US Open and they were always due to part ways again after the tournament. 
  • Norrie's semi final will be tomorrow evening against Grigor Dimitrov.

#23 Dimitrov vs #21 Norrie
    #31 Fritz / #3 Zverev v #29 Basilashvili

If Fritz can upset Zverev, Norrie would be the highest remaining seed in the draw.
  • Fritz wins 4-6 6-3 7-6. Tournament is wide open for any of the four players to go and win it.

Before the US Open she wasn't on THE tour full time was she?  Challenger events and wild cards was her staple.  Maybe her old coach wouldn't or couldn't commit to the full time touring lifestyle? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Certainly a strange one when you've just won a Grand Slam under that coach and you've got no one else lined up.

Before the US Open she wasn't on THE tour full time was she?  Challenger events and wild cards was her staple.  Maybe her old coach wouldn't or couldn't commit to the full time touring lifestyle? 
    I thought Nigel Sears, Andy Murray's Father-in-law, was supposed to be her coach. He was certainly with her at Wimbledon, so I'm not sure who this other bloke is or was.
  • Norrie looked sensational in his qf,no reason he cant win this tournament,but he has fell short at these late stages before,fingers crossed this is the breakthrough.
  • Sponsored links:

• How nice that we can now have a British tennis thread which isn't just about Andy and Jamie!
  • LenGlover said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Certainly a strange one when you've just won a Grand Slam under that coach and you've got no one else lined up.

I thought Nigel Sears, Andy Murray's Father-in-law, was supposed to be her coach. He was certainly with her at Wimbledon, so I'm not sure who this other bloke is or was.
    After Wimbledon, she went vack to her previous coach, who she'd been with since 11y.o. or something...
  • Norrie a set and a break up, looking good
  • Have to say the shoe squeaking is making my teeth itch
  • Cam Norrie continues to amaze with his improvement over the last year. I never thought he had the game to become a world top 20 player. 
    Changing of the guard with Norrie and Emma Raducanu as UK Men and woman's Number 1's.
  • Basilashvili beats the well supported home player Taylor Fritz in straight sets to reach the final.
  • Norrie vs Basilashvili on Sunday evening in the men’s final, due to start not before midnight UK time.

Prior to that, the women’s final between Azarenka and Badosa. 

It’s a tenuous link but Azarenka was the player to defeat Sasnovich, the woman who beat Raducanu in the second round. Perhaps a more difficult draw for Emma than we realised?
  • edited October 2021
    Murray will be playing in Antwerp next week, a tournament he won in 2019.

First round match on Tuesday. His opponent is Frances Tiafoe (world ranking of 49). Winner will play #2 seed Schwartzman in the second round.
  • Norrie match has started for anyone reading.