Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    RedChaser said:
    Chunes said:
    RedChaser said:
    Chunes said:
    RedChaser said:
    Buck stops with TS yes but not all down to him. If it was me I’d feel badly let down by my advisors and asking some serious questions of them and in particular Mr Roddy as to ‘Why shouldn’t I bin you off with the Manager?’ 😡,
    Why does the buck stop with the owner? 
    Pretty obvious isn’t it he’s the ultimate decision maker.
    I don't agree. I find it strange that during a run of bad results, everyone looks to the owner. I think it's a byproduct of our years of ownership abuse. 
    I don’t think everyone is looking purely at the owner but there’s no getting away from the fact that he put the management structure together so if it goes pear shaped it’s down to him, it’s his investment, project / business plan.

Now you can look at where that plan has failed down the chain of command but he can’t totally absolve himself of responsibility. Delegate by all means as he has done to Roddy and co but don’t bury your head and hope it all comes good. Urgent action needs to be taken to right the ship and I would hope those wheels are in motion. Failing which he will not only lose my sympathy and that of many others but loads more money in L2. 
    I agree he has the responsibility to put right any appointments that have gone wrong. (Re: Adkins). I just don't agree that the results on the pitch are primarily his responsibility, if that's even what you were saying. TS is the club steward, he's here to put things in place so that we hopefully progress, to safeguard the future of the club and ensure we're sticking to our values. He can't motivate players, get the tactics right or win tackles. He hires the guy who can - and then it's that guy's responsibility. 
    But having employed the person whose responsibility that actually IS it does make it his problem to solve if said person fails. 

If the problems do go beyond simply the manager... Well it's still his responsibility then. He's the one who made the appointments, set the structure and is ultimately responsible for the whole culture of the club. If the people who are meant to be sorting those issues aren't capable of doing so, he needs to be the one to find people who are. 

Yes, he's facing an uphill struggle as the club has been absolutely gutted and abused by previous ownerships. But he's in charge now and that makes it his problem to deal with. 
    Yes, I think we agree. I am just not convinced the problems do go beyond the current manager. I think it's a simple question - should we be doing better with what we have? Clearly the answer has to be yes. Then it follows that our problems on the pitch are down to the coaches, the manager and the players. 
    I think it's possibly both. This manager is certainly not getting the best out of the players but is that because he's outdated/not very good or is it because of problems behind the scenes - too many cooks etc. Or maybe both - a poor manager made to look even worse by other factors. 

The only way we find out is if (or perhaps when) he does go, as he must now, and see what will happen. 
  • I’m glad I’ve got a bad cold. It’s never stopped me going to games before but it’s enough not to go tonight.
  • Very telling if it’s a last minute decision.,

at least he will be able to see and hear for himself the crowds displeasure. 
  • TEL said:
    Maybe TS seeing 7000-8000 rattling around at the Valley will give him a taste of realism. 
    Probably be under 7k
  • edited October 2021
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    RedChaser said:
    Chunes said:
    RedChaser said:
    Chunes said:
    RedChaser said:
    Buck stops with TS yes but not all down to him. If it was me I’d feel badly let down by my advisors and asking some serious questions of them and in particular Mr Roddy as to ‘Why shouldn’t I bin you off with the Manager?’ 😡,
    I don't agree. I find it strange that during a run of bad results, everyone looks to the owner. I think it's a byproduct of our years of ownership abuse. 
    I don’t think everyone is looking purely at the owner but there’s no getting away from the fact that he put the management structure together so if it goes pear shaped it’s down to him, it’s his investment, project / business plan.

Now you can look at where that plan has failed down the chain of command but he can’t totally absolve himself of responsibility. Delegate by all means as he has done to Roddy and co but don’t bury your head and hope it all comes good. Urgent action needs to be taken to right the ship and I would hope those wheels are in motion. Failing which he will not only lose my sympathy and that of many others but loads more money in L2. 
    I agree he has the responsibility to put right any appointments that have gone wrong. (Re: Adkins). I just don't agree that the results on the pitch are primarily his responsibility, if that's even what you were saying. TS is the club steward, he's here to put things in place so that we hopefully progress, to safeguard the future of the club and ensure we're sticking to our values. He can't motivate players, get the tactics right or win tackles. He hires the guy who can - and then it's that guy's responsibility. 
    But having employed the person whose responsibility that actually IS it does make it his problem to solve if said person fails. 

If the problems do go beyond simply the manager... Well it's still his responsibility then. He's the one who made the appointments, set the structure and is ultimately responsible for the whole culture of the club. If the people who are meant to be sorting those issues aren't capable of doing so, he needs to be the one to find people who are. 

Yes, he's facing an uphill struggle as the club has been absolutely gutted and abused by previous ownerships. But he's in charge now and that makes it his problem to deal with. 
    Yes, I think we agree. I am just not convinced the problems do go beyond the current manager. I think it's a simple question - should we be doing better with what we have? Clearly the answer has to be yes. Then it follows that our problems on the pitch are down to the coaches, the manager and the players. 
    I think it's possibly both. This manager is certainly not getting the best out of the players but is that because he's outdated/not very good or is it because of problems behind the scenes - too many cooks etc. Or maybe both - a poor manager made to look even worse by other factors. 

The only way we find out is if (or perhaps when) he does go, as he must now, and see what will happen. 
    It could very well be both, there's just no credible evidence that it is. 
  • edited October 2021
    Used to hate that feeling, when the "top bloke" is coming to site today and you might get asked why the jobs in such a state  :D
  • Thomas heard they're stocking Taylor's Landlord in the fans bar
  • ......night's are drawing in, he wants a new scarf
  • edited October 2021
  • Sponsored links:

• Gribbo said:
    ......night's are drawing in, he wants a new manager.
    Fixed.
  • Nothing good seems to happen to us anymore.
    On that basis I am predicting that Thomas will give Nigel a public vote of confidence tonight after we manage to fluke a spawney 1-0 win
  • If my dog had rungs, he'd be a step ladder 
  • Nothing good seems to happen to us anymore.
    On that basis I am predicting that Thomas will give Nigel a public vote of confidence tonight after we manage to fluke a spawney 1-0 win
    Well a clean sheet win is something good surely?
  • TEL said:
    Maybe TS seeing 7000-8000 rattling around at the Valley will give him a taste of realism. 
    There will be about 6,000 bums on seats tonight.
    I know S/T holders that aren't going and I'm going but dreading it.
  • Just wanna make one last point that I stumbled across on Twitter of all places.

Amos
    Matthews, Famewo, Pearce, Purrington 
    Gilbey, Watson, Foster-Caskey
    Jaiyesimi, Stockley, Millar

This XI won 0-6 away at Plymouth just 6 months ago.  Now tell me 8 of them are not good enough to compete near the top of this league. 
    Forster-Caskey maybe, but are Amos and Millar missing making that big a difference as well?

Certainly didnt rate Millar as much as the season progressed, felt opponents sussed him out
    JFC, you could argue improves us massively, but from bottom four to 7th?  Not that much of a difference.

The other two no way, Millar got moaned about on here as did Amos.
    The majority view on here about Amos was wrong in my opinion. He was a much much better goalkeeper than a lot felt. Possibly the best in ten division in my opinion. If CM was Portsmouth player of the year then that only reinforces my opinion that Amos was better than most at this level. He was nearly as good a shot stopper but as strong on dealing with crosses and probably better at that than a lot of keepers we had in the Championship and Premier League. 

Amos’ command of his area was an underrated factor in why we able to keep a lot of clean sheets last season. Our defending of crosses has definitely suffered as a result of him not being there to come and claim so many. CM has zero presence on defending balls into the box. Even if he’s a better shot stopper, he’s also already made at least as many, if not more, fundamental mistakes than Amos did in the whole of last season. 

CBT has largely been fulfilling the Millar role but, again, Millar got criticism for lack of end product but in reality his stats were respectable. 

If Amos and Millar were not good enough then so far neither have their replacements been. 

Completely agree with you about Amos.  I thought he was a massive loss when he left 1st time. 

The difference between Millar, and Maatsen, and the wingers we have now is both the ability to track back and work ethic and the fact they, especially Millar, could get the ball deep and drive us up the pitch.

It didn't often result in a quality cross or shot but it often won throw ins, corners or we regained possession 20 yards future up the pitch than we had been a matter of seconds before.  No one in the current set up seems willing or able to do that. 
  • Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    RedChaser said:
    Chunes said:
    RedChaser said:
    Chunes said:
    RedChaser said:

Directly perhaps not but by inference? It seems very odd given how much better the same manager did just last season that it would collapse for no reason. And while we ended up getting business done in the window it was left very late and no one will say it was hugely successful.

It is just a feeling and probably over-analysis on my part but I do think that there are deeper problems than just the manager right now - albeit he is the most obvious and immediately solvable. 
  • Maybe Thomas is going to announce Adkins sacking before the game? He wants to be liked.

(not really of course but I haven’t read one of those theories in a while)
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Maybe Thomas is going to announce Adkins sacking before the game? He wants to be liked.

(not really of course but I haven’t read one of those theories in a while)
    He is saving up the sackings for half season tickets sales. 😁😁
  • Scoham said:
    Maybe Thomas is going to announce Adkins sacking before the game? He wants to be liked.
    With the new Manager being announced in front of the fans at the same time?
  • thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    RedChaser said:
    Chunes said:
    RedChaser said:
    Chunes said:
    RedChaser said:

Directly perhaps not but by inference? It seems very odd given how much better the same manager did just last season that it would collapse for no reason. And while we ended up getting business done in the window it was left very late and no one will say it was hugely successful.

It is just a feeling and probably over-analysis on my part but I do think that there are deeper problems than just the manager right now - albeit he is the most obvious and immediately solvable. 
    This exactly where I am.  I am certainly not Adkins in, by any stretch, but I am of the mind that Adkins going won't be the magic bullet. 
  • He was Charlton reserve team manager and made manager is that not previous with us. We didn’t get him from palace he was our reserve team manager. 
    That’s what I said … definitely not previous in the terms of the others you referenced 
  • Steve Bruce available yet?
    Not just yet.

But Mick McCarthy should be available in the coming days.
  • Very telling if it’s a last minute decision.,

at least he will be able to see and hear for himself the crowds displeasure. 
    Maybe he’s written a departure song for Nigel , Adkins no Victory 
  • Maybe he's going to debut his latest single pre-match
  • Nailed on for us to win 1-0 now and TS to wonder what all the fuss is about as he tweets ‘Great performance, the league is ours, watch out Premier League, we’re 2 years away’ 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!