Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Energy Bills

Comments

• ‘Open your eyes’ reminds me of the Tutu quote about British colonialism.
    Something like ‘the white man told us to kneel down and pray, when we opened our eyes our land was gone’.
  • Oggy Red said:
     The more I hear from her (Truss) the more I think she completely lacks empathy to the point of some personality disorder.  

It speaks volumes that Tories would still prefer Johnson to either her or Sunak. What exactly do we have governing us for the next two years ffs. 
    That was Thatcher.

But today's news:
    1. The typical household energy bill will hit £3,549 a year from 1 October, regulator Ofgem announces
    2. The cap is currently £1,971 for the average household and limits how much providers can charge customers in England, Scotland and Wales
    The Government has to act.
    But you know they will protect their own interest before that of the people.

rumours flying round the prices will go up to £5,000/year from january. We're absolutely cooked if the government doesn't do anything.
    They’re not rumours. The algorithm used by Ofgem to calculate the cap is public knowledge. You look at the prices of the wholesale market and you get your answer. It won’t be any less than £5k in January and £6k in April.
  • Whatever help is announced it’s going to have to have an outcome of prices for energy not going above the current level of cap at £1971. With food and inflation people won’t stand for some half arsed compromise solution where people are expected to meet the energy cost increases half way. That’s my likely outcome scenario. 
    When you say they won’t stand for it, what do you think will happen when the necessary solutions are not forthcoming? 
    It’s hard to say but I think people will be willing to take to the streets. Daft as it sounds it’s actually quite hard to imagine a cold house while we sit here in August. A family with no way of keeping their kids warm and or tummies full will be a very angry one. 
    Trouble is it'll be cold on the streets as well in Winter  so they'll just go into the pub to keep warm!
  • They got more energy and more food.than us. What have we got that’s saying our economy is better than there’s. 
    i'm gonna go out on a limb and say i think we're doing a lot better than they are, since we don't have countless chain shops closing, crippling sanctions on us and losing a large military conflict. 
  • At the risk of frightening you below is an energy calculation by Which Magazine. The example I’ve used is for someone currently paying £150 a month for their energy needs. If you want to do a calculation based on your personal payments the link to the site is also below. 

• I bet Russians are really missing there McDonald’s. And are envious of our £5000 emergy bills. Sorry Seth I suppose that sayings a bit racist now days not that it was aimed at you 
    Our new wannabe pm even lies about his McDonald’s breakfast for Christ sake all politicians lie it’s first thing they are taught in politicians school. 
  • At the risk of frightening you below is an energy calculation by Which Magazine. The example I’ve used is for someone currently paying £150 a month for their energy needs. If you want to do a calculation based on your personal payments the link to the site is also below. 

That is v.frightening when it's laid out so clearly to be honest. So many people screwed unless something dramatic happens policy and/or war wise.
  • I bet Russians are really missing there McDonald’s. And are envious of our £5000 emergy bills. Sorry Seth I suppose that sayings a bit racist now days not that it was aimed at you 
    Our new wannabe pm even lies about his McDonald’s breakfast for Christ sake all politicians lie it’s first thing they are taught in politicians school. 
    You didn’t say anything racist when using the term open your eyes.
    Still rather live here where I can call the Prime Minister out for being a scumbag than in Russia where if you don’t kiss Putins arse publicly you get a visit. 
  • Whatever help is announced it’s going to have to have an outcome of prices for energy not going above the current level of cap at £1971. With food and inflation people won’t stand for some half arsed compromise solution where people are expected to meet the energy cost increases half way. That’s my likely outcome scenario. 
    When you say they won’t stand for it, what do you think will happen when the necessary solutions are not forthcoming? 
    It’s hard to say but I think people will be willing to take to the streets. Daft as it sounds it’s actually quite hard to imagine a cold house while we sit here in August. A family with no way of keeping their kids warm and or tummies full will be a very angry one. 
    I hope I’m wrong but I think most will put a jumper on before rioting. 
  • Sponsored links:

That’s not a very helpful comment
    It is though imo. Yes it is a complete nightmare but it is quite true, rather than have our thermostats set to what we normally do turn it down and put some extra clothing on. The basic choice here imo is we suck it up or send Mr Putin an email saying sorry and let him crack on in Ukraine so we can all stay toastie indoors in our shorts and T Shirts.

You would be amazed by the savings you make if you reduce your CH by a couple of degrees
  • When we had rioting in London in 2011 the trouble spread quickly and gained a momentum of it’s own.
    I think the next civil disruption to follow the same pattern, but be deeper for longer and more widespread.There was a lot of looting and fire starting in those riots.
    The Sri Lanka riots recently are one example of what can happen, and this country is pretty broken, certainly divided so it is not so far fetched to think things will get nasty, and this time I am not so sure local communities will resist.

Why not? It’s my opinion, which is just as valid as those who believe there will be civil unrest. 

If the government thinks they can get away with pushing people behind their means, they will, so seriously considering how people will respond is pretty important. 
  • edited August 2022
    Thought this might be interesting: a summary of what different European countries, including the UK, are doing to address the rising energy prices. So far here in Spain we haven't had too much of an increase but we're trying not to use the air conditioning too much even though it has been ridiculously hot. 

https://www.bruegel.org/dataset/national-policies-shield-consumers-rising-energy-prices#:~:text=From September 2022 to September,cost around €250 million.
  • Why not much of an increase in Spain?
  • edited August 2022
    Think it's due to a cap on energy prices though not sure. That's why I looked into it and found the article. This explains it better than I could, I'm sure.
  • Just seen headline on CNN reporting on UK 80% increase in energy bills. If we don’t see similar headlines, over the coming weeks for countries in the EU, is that because CNN don’t cover the rest of Europe or because the energy industries in those countries are more controlled and not allowed to make obscene profits on the backs of consumers?
    Why not? It’s my opinion, which is just as valid as those who believe there will be civil unrest. 

If the government thinks they can get away with pushing people behind their means, they will, so seriously considering how people will respond is pretty important. 
    I think you're spot on Stu - The Keep Calm + Carry On mentality is too ingrained to the point where now even when people are genuinely scared of being able to heat their house or eat, or make a choice between the two, I fear nothing will happen.

I hope the Dontpay.uk movement properly picks up steam. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:
     The more I hear from her (Truss) the more I think she completely lacks empathy to the point of some personality disorder.  

It speaks volumes that Tories would still prefer Johnson to either her or Sunak. What exactly do we have governing us for the next two years ffs. 
    That was Thatcher.

But today's news:
    1. The typical household energy bill will hit £3,549 a year from 1 October, regulator Ofgem announces
    2. The cap is currently £1,971 for the average household and limits how much providers can charge customers in England, Scotland and Wales
    The Government has to act.
    But you know they will protect their own interest before that of the people.

rumours flying round the prices will go up to £5,000/year from january. We're absolutely cooked if the government doesn't do anything.
    That's the prediction which will be fairly accurate as we're 7 months into the 9 month review period according to the radio this morning.
  • F**k me, those costs are scary. I need to find ways to remain warm without having costing me a fortune. 
  • edited August 2022
    Meanwhile.........."BP's profits tripled to $8.5bn (£6.9bn) between April and June 2022. The second quarter also included a record $11.5bn profit for Shell".

Beyond a joke really.
    An lost £20 Billion in pulling out of Russia oil (Rosneft 20% stake ).. that’s the current loss , not the total.   SORRY, no one wants to talk about that figure do they. Or that 65% of that Profit is now going to the UK Gov. 

Shell claiming a £5 Billion loss after its retreat from Russian oil. 

• Meanwhile.........."BP's profits tripled to $8.5bn (£6.9bn) between April and June 2022. The second quarter also included a record $11.5bn profit for Shell".

Beyond a joke really.
    An lost £20 Billion in pulling out of Russia oil (Rosneft 20% stake ).. that’s the current loss , not the total.   SORRY, no one wants to talk about that figure do they. Or that 65% of that Profit is now going to the UK Gov. 

What ?
    Trouble is it'll be cold on the streets as well in Winter  so they'll just go into the pub to keep warm!
    if things don't change, there won't be any pubs to go into....

• seth plum said:
    If the west are sanctioning Russia economically, then it is no surprise to me that Russia will sanction right back any way they can.
    Truss has described helping people, many of whom have contributed enormously, as giving ‘handouts’.
    Bit like the handouts of dodgy contracts given to people like the pub landlord friend of Matthew Hancock.
    I believe this government are content to see people burning their furniture to keep warm, as long as somehow they and their coterie can move towards living off the interest of the interest. That is the philosophy of these people and those who vote for them isn’t it?
    No. It isn’t. 

They aren’t getting it right but this is a silly statement. 

All parties should collaborate on this to find the best solution and stop the bickering and point scoring. 
    Part of me wants to see it that way but I can't.

I am not so much 'bickering' as firming up who my enemies are.

I used to be all up for collaboration until the referendum in 2016 firmly told me that collaboration was not what 52% of the population want. 'They need us more than we need them'. Is that type of thinking included in a wish to collaborate? Did you notice what Truss said about Macron? Either a friend or a foe. Does that sound like an aspiration towards collaboration? To me is sounds like establishing who your enemies are, which is something I am doing more and more of.

The 2019 election cemented in the non collaboration divided nature of this country, which is why I used the phrase 'those who vote for them'.

If collaboration means supplication, which I think it does for half the country, then count me out. To say they aren't getting it right sounds like a huge understatement. I think the ruling block are most certainly getting it right...for themselves, and those that vote for them totally approve of their approach.

If there is a 'best solution' out there, it won't come from those who see collaboration and help as 'giving handouts'.
  • Glovepup said:
    F**k me, those costs are scary. I need to find ways to remain warm without having costing me a fortune. 
    We will all be going round @Covered End mansion glove