Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Energy Bills

Comments

• seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    If the west are sanctioning Russia economically, then it is no surprise to me that Russia will sanction right back any way they can.
    Truss has described helping people, many of whom have contributed enormously, as giving ‘handouts’.
    Bit like the handouts of dodgy contracts given to people like the pub landlord friend of Matthew Hancock.
    I believe this government are content to see people burning their furniture to keep warm, as long as somehow they and their coterie can move towards living off the interest of the interest. That is the philosophy of these people and those who vote for them isn’t it?
    No. It isn’t. 

They aren’t getting it right but this is a silly statement. 

All parties should collaborate on this to find the best solution and stop the bickering and point scoring. 
    Part of me wants to see it that way but I can't.

I am not so much 'bickering' as firming up who my enemies are.

I used to be all up for collaboration until the referendum in 2016 firmly told me that collaboration was not what 52% of the population want. 'They need us more than we need them'. Is that type of thinking included in a wish to collaborate? Did you notice what Truss said about Macron? Either a friend or a foe. Does that sound like an aspiration towards collaboration? To me is sounds like establishing who your enemies are, which is something I am doing more and more of.

The 2019 election cemented in the non collaboration divided nature of this country, which is why I used the phrase 'those who vote for them'.

If collaboration means supplication, which I think it does for half the country, then count me out. To say they aren't getting it right sounds like a huge understatement. I think the ruling block are most certainly getting it right...for themselves, and those that vote for them totally approve of their approach.

If there is a 'best solution' out there, it won't come from those who see collaboration and help as 'giving handouts'.
    I believe the opposition parties were calling for the recall of parliament to work on a package of measures some time ago. I think it met with the same response as offers to work on a cross party basis right at the start of the Covid situation.

Picking up on Seth's point if the ruling party has no interest in a collaborative approach coupled with a large majority there's very little can be done except play the matter out in public to apply pressure that way. Or bickering and point scoring as some might call it! 
  • What i dont understand is why Bojo Truss and Sunak didn't meet to come up with something , knowing that this announcement was coming out. Even if it was to say "no matter who gets in we have got your back". The complete uncertainty on if any help is coming may be the straw that breaks the camels back for some. 
  • Due to a mistake OVO made when calculating my direct debit they have been taking over £450 a month from my account. Actual usage is currently £157 a month.
    The result is that I am £2.5k in credit!
    Looks like I'm better off not challenging this for the next year. 
    At least I won't have to panic like a lot of people.
    It's anecdotal but does add a bit of fuel to the accusation that energy companies are deliberately over charging direct debits.
  • What i dont understand is why Bojo Truss and Sunak didn't meet to come up with something , knowing that this announcement was coming out. Even if it was to say "no matter who gets in we have got your back". The complete uncertainty on if any help is coming may be the straw that breaks the camels back for some. 
    I think the answer is self-evident
  • IdleHans said:
    What i dont understand is why Bojo Truss and Sunak didn't meet to come up with something , knowing that this announcement was coming out. Even if it was to say "no matter who gets in we have got your back". The complete uncertainty on if any help is coming may be the straw that breaks the camels back for some. 
    I think the answer is self-evident
    Can't believe that they are that incompetent. It can only be deliberate
  • IdleHans said:
    Boris is too busy willy-waving in Ukraine, S and T are too busy kicking lumps out of one other, each successfully revealing the other to be a clueless numpty.
    Massive missed opportunity to appeal to the wider electorate , instead of just the Tory party members 
  • cabbles said:

Wasnt Zahawi the one that was claiming expenses for heating his horses stables ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• I hope that the payment strike gathers momentum. When the photos of pensioners being jailed for non payment and the deaths get reported we may see a change of policy to public ownership. I dearly hope that it happens before that.
  • I hope that the payment strike gathers momentum. When the photos of pensioners being jailed for non payment and the deaths get reported we may see a change of policy to public ownership. I dearly hope that it happens before that.
    Hopefully it does happen before that, because if people don't pay, they'll be put on even more expensive pre-payment meters. This Government is very unlikely to nationalise any utility, we desperately need a change of Government.

They won’t be jailed - the barristers are on strike with a 60k trial backlog. This country is shot. 
  • edited August 2022
    I am now old enough to remember how it was images and soundbites from older people that brought the pigeons home to roost in the media in 1990. The "riots" would have been easy to dismiss as SWP agitation. Time for us to show that we are not the spent force we have been portrayed as increasingly over the last 15 years.
    They won’t be jailed - the barristers are on strike with a 60k trial backlog. This country is shot. 
    Broken Britain.

• The ‘we need to cut down our energy use’ comment from the fabulously wealthy (£100 Million) Chancellor was a real “let the eat cake” moment. Utterly out of touch with most peoples reality and bordering on indifference.  Still it’s sage advise and I’m sure that it wouldn’t have occurred to anyone until he suggested it.

Martin Lewis for PM!
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    If the west are sanctioning Russia economically, then it is no surprise to me that Russia will sanction right back any way they can.
    Truss has described helping people, many of whom have contributed enormously, as giving ‘handouts’.
    Bit like the handouts of dodgy contracts given to people like the pub landlord friend of Matthew Hancock.
    I believe this government are content to see people burning their furniture to keep warm, as long as somehow they and their coterie can move towards living off the interest of the interest. That is the philosophy of these people and those who vote for them isn’t it?
    No. It isn’t. 

All parties should collaborate on this to find the best solution and stop the bickering and point scoring. 
    Part of me wants to see it that way but I can't.

I am not so much 'bickering' as firming up who my enemies are.

I used to be all up for collaboration until the referendum in 2016 firmly told me that collaboration was not what 52% of the population want. 'They need us more than we need them'. Is that type of thinking included in a wish to collaborate? Did you notice what Truss said about Macron? Either a friend or a foe. Does that sound like an aspiration towards collaboration? To me is sounds like establishing who your enemies are, which is something I am doing more and more of.

The 2019 election cemented in the non collaboration divided nature of this country, which is why I used the phrase 'those who vote for them'.

If collaboration means supplication, which I think it does for half the country, then count me out. To say they aren't getting it right sounds like a huge understatement. I think the ruling block are most certainly getting it right...for themselves, and those that vote for them totally approve of their approach.

If there is a 'best solution' out there, it won't come from those who see collaboration and help as 'giving handouts'.
    Don’t twist my words. My point was to rebuff your suggestion all conservative voters and politicians are happy that people can’t afford heat. I make the point the current situation is not acceptable but it’s not malicious either. 

As to what Truss said about Macron  no I didn’t see it first hand BUT what an a**hole question by a reporter / journalist. It’s just designed to provoke this sort of reaction. All politicians need to learn and practice diplomacy and they ultimately do despite sound bites and headlines. 

Win win outcomes are not always achieved but ultimately talking with our neighbours / allies / enemies is what has to happen and positions change / ground is given etc. 

The crap situation today is not limited to the UK. That should not be misunderstood or underestimated. 
    I rather assume those conversations are happening and are drawing up alternatives. How can they not?

They will reveal the support immediately after the next PM is confirmed. 

It won’t be enough. It won’t get universal support or praise. 

It will be something.  If will have some merits. 

It will be billed as too little too late. 

The cycle will continue. We will have a change of government in about 18 months time. And then the positions reverse and off we go again. 
  • Absolute chunts, going from 26p kw/h to 52, so standing order is going from 86 to 152 per month 
  • Sponsored links:

• I drove through France a couple of times recently and one thing that struck me was the number of wind farms. They are all over the place.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    I drove through France a couple of times recently and one thing that struck me was the number of wind farms. They are all over the place.
    As at May 2021 France were actually behind us in this respect. We have a lot over here (turbines) nearly 9,000 onshore wind turbines and over 2,300 offshore. If you drive through places like Norfolk you'll also see fields of solar panels.

We are actually sixth in the world in creating GW by wind (behind China, US, Germany, India and Spain) France are 7th, around 40% behind us.

We actually have 6 out of 10 of the largest offshore wind farms in the world. The one in Cumbria (Walney) is actually the largest in the world.

We are behind a lot of Europe and the world on Solar though, but not helped by our weather!
    Didn’t Both Truss and Sunak say they wanted to restrict the growth of solar farms recently ? 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    I drove through France a couple of times recently and one thing that struck me was the number of wind farms. They are all over the place.
    As at May 2021 France were actually behind us in this respect. We have a lot over here (turbines) nearly 9,000 onshore wind turbines and over 2,300 offshore. If you drive through places like Norfolk you'll also see fields of solar panels.

We are actually sixth in the world in creating GW by wind (behind China, US, Germany, India and Spain) France are 7th, around 40% behind us.

We actually have 6 out of 10 of the largest offshore wind farms in the world. The one in Cumbria (Walney) is actually the largest in the world.

We are behind a lot of Europe and the world on Solar though, but not helped by our weather!
    Didn’t Both Truss and Sunak say they wanted to restrict the growth of solar farms recently ? 
    I don't know, but knowing them, nothing would surprise me. With my limited knowledge I would have thought Wind/Tidal is more suited to the UK but it can't hurt to have more Solar as well whether that's solar farms or on commercial/residential roofs.

I've no doubt the path we are on other countries will over take us as we don't seem to have a forward plan (although I'm assuming others do), but it's not currently the case, for wind anyway.

In Europe, Germany as ever lead the way!
  • IAgree said:
    The ‘we need to cut down our energy use’ comment from the fabulously wealthy (£100 Million) Chancellor was a real “let the eat cake” moment. Utterly out of touch with most peoples reality and bordering on indifference.  Still it’s sage advise and I’m sure that it wouldn’t have occurred to anyone until he suggested it.

Martin Lewis for PM!
    Nadim Zahawi is going to be out of a job in a months time. Probably less. He was standing in front of the cameras yesterday having to say something, anything as long as it’s not policy or likely to upset the new PM’s position. The fact that on the day the nation was officially informed that they’re going to be up shit creek on October 1st not one. NOT ONE, government minister was available for comment. It’s an absolute dereliction of duty and it’s unforgivable. These people need removing from office. 
    What has he actually done whilst in this job? Other than pick up his wages.
  • IAgree said:
    The ‘we need to cut down our energy use’ comment from the fabulously wealthy (£100 Million) Chancellor was a real “let the eat cake” moment. Utterly out of touch with most peoples reality and bordering on indifference.  Still it’s sage advise and I’m sure that it wouldn’t have occurred to anyone until he suggested it.

Martin Lewis for PM!
    Nadim Zahawi is going to be out of a job in a months time. Probably less. He was standing in front of the cameras yesterday having to say something, anything as long as it’s not policy or likely to upset the new PM’s position. The fact that on the day the nation was officially informed that they’re going to be up shit creek on October 1st not one. NOT ONE, government minister was available for comment. It’s an absolute dereliction of duty and it’s unforgivable. These people need removing from office. 
    What has he actually done whilst in this job? Other than pick up his wages.
    And his pay off when he gets the boot on the 5th 
  • seth plum said:
    No. It isn’t. 

That won't happen because the Government wont allow it to and it is clear the Lib Dems have come up with a plan, Labour has come up with a plan and even Gordon Brown has come up with a plan. The government doesn't have to fund its plan, if it has one in the same way but they can look at their solution. 

It is the laziest thing going that every criticism the Government earns, some then throw some of it or all of it back on the opposition partes. By all means there are things to criticise them for and people should do that but they are not as bad as the Government in this instance as they have set out a plan and I would go as far as saying all the plans mentioned would be welcomed by most Conservative voters.
  • seth plum said:
    No. It isn’t. 

That won't happen because the Government wont allow it to and it is clear the Lib Dems have come up with a plan, Labour has come up with a plan and even Gordon Brown has come up with a plan. The government doesn't have to fund its plan, if it has one in the same way but they can look at their solution. 

It is the laziest thing going that every criticism the Government earns, some then throw some of it or all of it back on the opposition partes. By all means there are things to criticise them for and people should do that but they are not as bad as the Government in this instance as they have set out a plan and I would go as far as saying all the plans mentioned would be welcomed by most Conservative voters.
    Without doubt the situation is ridiculous that the Government are not announcing anything until Truss bounces out of the door of number 10 claiming to be the salvation. However it's really easy for opposition parties to come up with solutions and plans as they dont have to deliver them