Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Harry Arter signs on loan from Forest (and now returned in Jan p6)

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2022
    I can’t disagree with whats been said about Arter, however I’d be wary of the wider narrative about not bringing in older players “on their way down”, as this sweeping generalisation conveniently ignores the success of one such player in recent times….

Darren Pratley…
    Remember though this is the same thread that brought the great Cousins v Pigott debate of 2020.

We don't want Cousins because he is to old we want players like Pigott who are younger.

Despite Cousins being 6 months younger. 

You can't rule out anyone based on previous examples else you would never sign anyone.  
  • Options
    I can’t disagree with whats been said about Arter, however I’d be wary of the wider narrative about not bringing in older players “on their way down”, as this sweeping generalisation conveniently ignores the success of one such player in recent times….

Darren Pratley…
    Or.... Yann Kermorgant
  • Options
    As I recall, Pratley's first months with us were his least impressive spell, and a lot of people on CL were slagging him off, and often saying his best days were gone. Bow worked out how to get the best from him. Gunter also looked pretty faultless in the first part of last season when he was part of the famous back four that went six games without conceding a goal. Then he had to play centre-back as the wheels came off around Bow. After that his form undoubtedly dropped off - for us, anyway. It was good enough, though to allow him to start for Wales against the champions of the world and to very nearly score the first goal against the latter in 30 games. I've never really warmed to Watson, but I can see why he might still be a valued squad member. Last night he played pretty well, and looked like he was doing his best to help the youngsters. (Yet on Twitter afterwards I still saw inane tweets about how slow he was.) 

It is of course better to have a young and strong player like George Dobson in that role, although to listen to Uncle Rob Lee giving him pelters on Saturday, you'd wonder. Funny old game.
  • Options
    Thought he was our best player in the Fleetwood game.....put himself about and was good with his distribution....then he got injured and we changed managers and hasn't got a look in. Still think he can do a job for a L1 team but makes sense to return him as he had Dobson and Clare ahead of him. Good luck Harry still one of our own......
  • Options
    Thank f**k for that.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    An article in Nottinghamshire Live claims Arter triggered an option to return to Forest. Not sure why because he is not in Steve Cooper's plans still.
    Get loaned out again, but this time to a team who might actually play him. 
  • Options
    Nimer snapping up our rejects

:smile:
  • Options
    Maybe his legs work faster in the sunshine. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Darren Pratley…
    Or.... Yann Kermorgant
    Yann was a player who still had something to prove and Powell knew from their time at Leicester that he’d be very capable in L1.

Pratley had a few things that made it work. He had the legs to get around the pitch, as well as being fit it was far more mobile than Watson. He also had the desire to keep working hard, battling on the pitch.

Watson wanted to move back to the area and had slowed down as a player. Gunter a Wales legend on his way to 100 caps, he had nothing to prove.

There are always a few examples and you need a few in your squad, but we need to be a lot more careful on who we bring in (that goes for all ages). If a big part of what made players like Watson, Arter, Gunter and Souare good was having the pace and fitness to get up and down the pitch they’re going to be completely different players if they’ve lost that. We’ve seen none of them were good enough with the ball to make up for it.

Not easy of course. I think issues in the summer including aiming too high with our initial targets and underestimating the budgets some other L1 clubs had didn’t help.
  • Options
    It’s doesn’t say a football club though.
  • Options
    MattF said:
    It shows how far he's deteriorated that he couldn't even get a L2 club in January. There can't be many established players who go on loan from the Championship to the NL, 3 divisions lower...
  • Options
    Location wise it’s a great move for him - career wise, not so. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him retire when his forest contract ends.
  • Options

"His legs have gone." 

When that happens, you end up managing Charlton.

• Options
    Still think it was worth a punt to take him. I think he was the first two footed set piece taker I had seen for us since Keith Peacock. 

Reading through the other comments many of us thought he would be a great signing.

Like with Joe Ledley and Ben Watson it just shows how quickly players can deteriorate and fall down the leagues. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Still think it was worth a punt to take him. I think he was the first two footed set piece taker I had seen for us since Keith Peacock. 

Reading through the other comments many of us thought he would be a great signing.

Like with Joe Ledley and Ben Watson it just shows how quickly players can deteriorate and fall down the leagues. 
    You do, well I do anyway, wonder how much of it is almost a self fulfilling proficiency.  Especially for older or slightly heavier players, now there is no reserve football. 

You don't play for six months, for reasons, then you go on loan and aren't match fit, can't get in the team, can't get match fit, don't play.  Drop down another level rinse and repeat. 

I am not suggesting that Arter, Sourea or Ledley were the answer to any question but I am not sure we help ourselves once we have the player and are lumbered with the wages.  Chelsea and Spurs' kids get more minutes for our u23s than our fring players.