Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Champions League 21/22

Comments

• Rangers taking liberties in Dortmund. Ryan Kent been unplayable.
  • Rangers taking liberties in Dortmund. Ryan Kent been unplayable.
    Just seen the score, crazy!
  • This is the champions league thread 
  • edited February 2022
    Couldn’t find the Europa one boss. I did start a European one last night cos I couldn’t find this one, so I just post anywhere now.
  • England v Canada still 0-0 in the Women's international.
  • New Zealand close on 116-3.
  • edited February 2022
    Yarmouk got a good 0-0 draw away against top of the table Kazma SC in the Kuwaiti league.

Neil beat me to it
  • Wow that is embarrassing for Dortmund
  • Last two words only but nobody sings “The Champions” at the end of the uefa theme like the fans at San Siro 
    Is it not “Lasagne” then?
    Oi!  No need for that!  I'm still suffering PTSD.
  • This years final has been switched from St Petersburg to Paris.

Also, UEFA are in discussions with their lawyers over the ability to break their sponsorship contract with Gazprom.
  • Sponsored links:

• Will wait and see what it’s like. I didn’t like the idea on the Nations League but I think it’s great now.
  • Absolute nonsense!
  • Champions League group stage hasn't been worth watching for a while IMO. However they decide to break it up, I will probably only being watching in the knockout rounds as I have done for a while.
  • This change increases the number of group stage games from 96 to 180. Then an additional sixteen games comes from the "playoff round" between the teams who finish 9th-24th.

180 group games played to knockout 12 teams as opposed to 96 games to knockout 16 teams is bananas.

It's a drift towards a more American model. Take the NBA - a league of 30 teams who play 1230 games to knockout less than half.
  • But if there’s 36 teams, how do they work out which 10 teams each team plays?
  • Wonder how the big teams will feel if this suddenly starts to work in favour for some of the lesser teams amongst those 36... Although imagine there will only be four who get through from the Qualifying Stage no doubt.
  • They plan on 2 of the 4 extra teams that qualify to be on “legacy status” so if a massive team miss out on finishing in the top 4 they can be given a spot anyway. It’s is basically UEFAs peace offering to counter any Super League talk.
  • edited March 2022
    Ross said:
    But if there’s 36 teams, how do they work out which 10 teams each team plays?
    Guessing here but I would imagine they will do something like splitting the 36 teams into six pots based on club coefficient…

Say you are in pot 1, you would get five home games from pot 2/3/4/5/6 and five away games from pot 2/3/4/5/6. 

And those teams would probably not be the same across the 10 games so if you’re Real Madrid for example your home games could be Chelsea, Lille, Zenit, Ajax and Salzburg while your away games are PSG, Spurs, Leipzig, Besiktas and Brugge…
  • Sponsored links:

• European Super League back on the table in three, two, one…
  • Hat trick for Lewangoalski inside 23 minutes, all 3 goals in an 11 minute spell.

Felt this would be a good game, (1-1 in the first leg) and while Munich have been suspect at the back they’ve been ruthless up front.
  • Bayern 3 Salzburg 0 after 23 minutes. Lewandowski hat trick, takes him to 42 goals for the season!

145 goals in his last 122 games. 
  • Can't believe Messi won the Balon D'or last year. Was a terrible decision in retrospect. 
  • Great goal for Inter, game on.
  • Sanchez then kills the game for Inter. 
  • Bayern 3 Salzburg 0 after 23 minutes. Lewandowski hat trick, takes him to 42 goals for the season!

145 goals in his last 122 games. 
    I know people will say 'yes but he plays in a 1 team league' but his record in the champions league over the past 4 seasons is 40 goals in 32 games. Ridiculous scoring record.

3rd in the all time scorers list and has a better goals per game ratio than Messi and Ronaldo.
  • Sanchez then kills the game for Inter. 
    Great shame, although i dont like Liverpool that killed of the tie in the end. Both legs were pretty competitive, Liverpool deserved the win but was hoping it would go 2-2 and extra time etc. Actually wanted them to win for a change but a good tie until Sanchez was an idiot. Great goal too by Martinez 
  • While Man City vs Sporting is a non event owing to the 5-0 first leg result, Madrid v PSG is all to play for.
    Looking forward to this one.
  • Benzema. Unbelievable