Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

COVID and overseas travel

Comments

• clive said:

The White House says it will lift most restrictions which bar foreign nationals who have been in the UK, and other countries including China and Brazil, from travelling to the US.

But foreigners flying to the US will face a requirement to be fully vaccinated from early November.

The White House also says US citizens who are not vaccinated will face stricter Covid testing requirements.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-58621759

Superb, i have Hawaii in December and Seattle in March booked. 🥳
  • Meanwhile my Sweish mate who with his colleagues just decided to bin their Day2s, returned to England for another meeting last week. This time he said he did the test, out of respect for his local office which had ordered it for him,  but he doubts he did it properly ( would you push it so far up your nose, that your eyes water?) it got posted off, but once again, when he flew out of LHR nobody checked if he had done it. 

It’s a scam.
    I don't think it is 'scam' but certainly on the 'thing's that could be done FAR better' list. It certainly isn't policed properly and also relies on everyone doing the right thing (which they don't). So thank goodness it is ending soon.
  • Meanwhile my Sweish mate who with his colleagues just decided to bin their Day2s, returned to England for another meeting last week. This time he said he did the test, out of respect for his local office which had ordered it for him,  but he doubts he did it properly ( would you push it so far up your nose, that your eyes water?) it got posted off, but once again, when he flew out of LHR nobody checked if he had done it. 

It’s a scam.
    I don't think it is 'scam' but certainly on the 'thing's that could be done FAR better' list. It certainly isn't policed properly and also relies on everyone doing the right thing (which they don't). So thank goodness it is ending soon.
    You are still left with the fact that testing is 100% in the hands of private companies, some set up for the specific purpose of doing this without any previous experience, who can charge what they like, and use whatever testing system they like, leaving the public to sort through the myriad "offers" as if they are shopping for car insurance. 

Since it is so easily fixed, (ref: the way most if not all EU countries do it), failure to fix it calls into question the govermment's motivation.

Nevertheless, it's genuinely a good thing that we now agree it could be done far better, and  I guess that's down to this thread illustrating with examples just how absurd it currently is. 

Anyway I'm now kind of glad this fiasco kept me away from the coming week's double-header at the Valley. 

It’s a scam.
    It's a scam.

If you're already double vaccinated, you've come from a country with much lower Covid risk, where compulsory mask wearing is enforced by law, where you can't enter any shop, public transport or indoor public area without it.

It's a scam because you've already been required to be tested anytime within the 72hrs before being permitted to board the plane.

And then once you return to the UK, you're exposed to far greater risk because most people don't give a toss about wearing a mask, social distancing or protection. The Government don't care either.

Then you're required by law to be tested for the Day 2 test. If you tested positive it's almost certain that you picked up Covid infection after you returned to the UK.

• Oggy Red said:
    Meanwhile my Sweish mate who with his colleagues just decided to bin their Day2s, returned to England for another meeting last week. This time he said he did the test, out of respect for his local office which had ordered it for him,  but he doubts he did it properly ( would you push it so far up your nose, that your eyes water?) it got posted off, but once again, when he flew out of LHR nobody checked if he had done it. 

It’s a scam.
    It's a scam.

If you're already double vaccinated, you've come from a country with much lower Covid risk, where compulsory mask wearing is enforced by law, where you can't enter any shop, public transport or indoor public area without it.

It's a scam because you've already been required to be tested anytime within the 72hrs before being permitted to board the plane.

And then once you return to the UK, you're exposed to far greater risk because most people don't give a toss about wearing a mask, social distancing or protection. The Government don't care either.

Then you're required by law to be tested for the Day 2 test. If you tested positive it's almost certain that you picked up Covid infection after you returned to the UK.

No. Not all countries that you've come from have a much lower covid risk, and it is not almost certain you picked it up in the UK if you test positive on day 2 - 'According to the CDC, the incubation period for COVID-19 is thought to extend to 14 days.. On average, symptoms show up in the newly infected person about 5 days after contact. Rarely, symptoms appear as soon as 2 days after exposure.'

We are all entitled to our opinions but are not immunologist or virologists -mnot that aware, anyway!
  • Testing isn't a scam, but having to pay private companies inflated prices for them is.
  • I don't agree with how it is being handle but don't think it is dishonest or fraudulent. Roll on 4 October
  • edited September 2021
    Croydon said:
    Testing isn't a scam, but having to pay private companies inflated prices for them is.
    Exactly. And that's the scam.

PrincessFiona said:
    I don't agree with how it is being handle but don't think it is dishonest or fraudulent. Roll on 4 October
    If I understand it correctly, Oct 4 is when they stop the need for test before you travel back to UK, whereas the Day 2 test will only be removed on Oct 22. (Heaven knows why).

I appreciate that this way round addresses the bigger hassle for UK residents returning home, but really there is no reason why they  should not just get rid of both, like tomorrow. Unless of course, as I've suggested earlier, the later date for getting rid of the Day 2 test is because some contracts with these private test operations require a certain minimum number of tests to be carried out. But that would be terribly cynical of me, wouldn't it.

My worry is that by the time we get to Oct 22 the figures will have spiked again, and anything other than a really urgent need to visit will look too risky, and might even be punished by incarceration when we return to our home countries from Plague Island. However having just looked at the latest graph from the FT there is room for cautious optimism both in the UK and across Europe. And I am not sure it will be safe to watch Charlton live before Oct 22 from a mental health perspective...
  • Oggy Red said:

Illogical. Farcical. Money making scam.

Purely and simply.
  • Croydon said:
    Testing isn't a scam, but having to pay private companies inflated prices for them is.

PrincessFiona said:
    I don't agree with how it is being handle but don't think it is dishonest or fraudulent. Roll on 4 October
    If I understand it correctly, Oct 4 is when they stop the need for test before you travel back to UK, whereas the Day 2 test will only be removed on Oct 22. (Heaven knows why).

I appreciate that this way round addresses the bigger hassle for UK residents returning home, but really there is no reason why they  should not just get rid of both, like tomorrow. Unless of course, as I've suggested earlier, the later date for getting rid of the Day 2 test is because some contracts with these private test operations require a certain minimum number of tests to be carried out. But that would be terribly cynical of me, wouldn't it.

My worry is that by the time we get to Oct 22 the figures will have spiked again, and anything other than a really urgent need to visit will look too risky, and might even be punished by incarceration when we return to our home countries from Plague Island. However having just looked at the latest graph from the FT there is room for cautious optimism both in the UK and across Europe. And I am not sure it will be safe to watch Charlton live before Oct 22 from a mental health perspective...
    I wasn't aware of there being 2 different dates. Our next holiday isn't until November, but of course we'll be keeping a close watch nearer the time, because (as you say) the cases could spoke again, for a number of reasons.

i am neither a virologist nor an immunologist, so cannot say why these tests are needed or why there is a difference between the Oct 4 and Oct 22 dates. I do know that case numbers are reported differently in different countries. some more 'accurately' than others and case numbers are affected by a number of different reasons including population density and other demographic reasons as well as compliance and notably the of/with covid differentiation.

Are the various costs for tests for travel in other countries a 'scam' too?
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:

PrincessFiona said:

I wasn't aware of there being 2 different dates. Our next holiday isn't until November, but of course we'll be keeping a close watch nearer the time, because (as you say) the cases could spoke again, for a number of reasons.

i am neither a virologist nor an immunologist, so cannot say why these tests are needed or why there is a difference between the Oct 4 and Oct 22 dates. I do know that case numbers are reported differently in different countries. some more 'accurately' than others and case numbers are affected by a number of different reasons including population density and other demographic reasons as well as compliance and notably the of/with covid differentiation.

To your final question. Surely I have answered that already, when I explained that in CZ and Germany and in Scandinavia for sure, the national health services have overseen the testing regime, and the respective governments have set out clear pricing which must be adhered to. i cannot be as sure about other EU countries, but can you name an EU country where the same unregualted free for all as in the UK, is allowed?

Its also unwise - in any country to be fair - to assume that these decisions are clearly those of the top relevant medical experts, and that politicians have deferred to them. 
  • Croydon said:

PrincessFiona said:

To your final question. Surely I have answered that already, when I explained that in CZ and Germany and in Scandinavia for sure, the national health services have overseen the testing regime, and the respective governments have set out clear pricing which must be adhered to. i cannot be as sure about other EU countries, but can you name an EU country where the same unregualted free for all as in the UK, is allowed?

Its also unwise - in any country to be fair - to assume that these decisions are clearly those of the top relevant medical experts, and that politicians have deferred to them. 
    What about the countries where it is not? Are they also a scam? Maybe they are in cahoots with the UK Government? My limited experience in Spain is that the tests costs are similar to in the UK and vary the same too. Generally the decisions are made by the senior civil servants, guided by the medical experts and scientists - one of the issues/challenges being the top medical experts and scientists don't always agree
  • I find it mildly amusing for some reason that when we get something wrong in this country, how the default response is to find somebody else who has got it wrong.
  • Croydon said:

PrincessFiona said:

What about the countries where it is not? Are they also a scam? Maybe they are in cahoots with the UK Government? My limited experience in Spain is that the tests costs are similar to in the UK and vary the same too. Generally the decisions are made by the senior civil servants, guided by the medical experts and scientists - one of the issues/challenges being the top medical experts and scientists don't always agree
    Apart from, possibly, Spain, you have not detailed any EU countries where you think the same system as the UK is happening. We do have Lifers on here who actually live in Spain, so I am tagging @CharltonMadrid and @ken_shabby to see what they think. To be clear, "the same system" is

1. The State health system is not overseeing/scrutinising the appointment of private laboratories who take part in testing
    2. Any company can set itself up for the purpose, regardless of whether they ever were in this line of "business" before.
    3. Self-completion is widely used for PCR tests often without any control by qualified health workers
    3. Pricing is completely unregulated. No max price is imposed. 
    4. People are given no guidance about which labroratory is best for them, beyond the most basic geographic filter.

Do please (anybody) name another EU country where the above situation exists, with some evidence. Some smartarse may say "Bulgaria" to try and call my bluff, but the bad news for them is, I've got good friends in Bulgaria whom I can check with, who would nevertheless be the first to agree that they would not expect the UK with its NHS to be doing anything at all which is done in Bulgaria! 
  • Croydon said:

PrincessFiona said:

Again, sorry if you think I am picking on you, but you have chosen to lead from the front on this discussion. Why do you feel able to assert this with such confidence, when all the evidence is that this is not the case, in the UK? Do you have some professional knowledge which might give you some unusual insights into such decision making structures? 

• Croydon said:

PrincessFiona said:

For clarity what are we saying is the price bracket in these examples?

I get the assertion in the UK its likely more variable but are we saying the price in the UK is not in similar territory?

As an aside I was told this week by a colleague that his daughter paid c£135 to return from Finland with an appropriate test (carried out at the airport I understand).
  • Croydon said:

PrincessFiona said:

Apart from, possibly, Spain, you have not detailed any EU countries where you think the same system as the UK is happening. We do have Lifers on here who actually live in Spain, so I am tagging @CharltonMadrid and @ken_shabby to see what they think. To be clear, "the same system" is

1. The State health system is not overseeing/scrutinising the appointment of private laboratories who take part in testing
    2. Any company can set itself up for the purpose, regardless of whether they ever were in this line of "business" before.
    3. Self-completion is widely used for PCR tests often without any control by qualified health workers
    3. Pricing is completely unregulated. No max price is imposed. 
    4. People are given no guidance about which labroratory is best for them, beyond the most basic geographic filter.

Do please (anybody) name another EU country where the above situation exists, with some evidence. Some smartarse may say "Bulgaria" to try and call my bluff, but the bad news for them is, I've got good friends in Bulgaria whom I can check with, who would nevertheless be the first to agree that they would not expect the UK with its NHS to be doing anything at all which is done in Bulgaria! 
    I haven't done a deep dive detailed analysis andcross-comparison  of every country. As I said, I have a small knowledge of the situation in Spain, through experience. You choose whichever country in the EU that suits whichever argument and I just happen to mention rhe one country I have some experience of that counters yours.

You can't have it both ways. I can assure you all policy is developed by civil servants, but of course ultimately signed off by ministers. Much of covid etc policy driven by scientists etc many of whom don't agree with one another.

Despite it being rebuffed by others on here, policy work as a result of covid (and the unfortunate cross-over timing of Brexit) has increased beyond comprehension, as has the workload of lots of people as a result of covid

• I find it mildly amusing for some reason that when we get something wrong in this country, how the default response is to find somebody else who has got it wrong.
     It doesn't make poor policy any less poor but shows that the UK isn't the only country that hasn't got everything right. It is understandable in the unprecedented circumstances.

Every country has different dynamics, demographics etc but none has got it 100% right (and citing different EU countries for different aspects doesn't count!)
  • Got back yesterday evening.

In the end no-one asked me for the code to my test or my Passenger Locator Form.

Only the French asked for my negative Covid19 test on the way out and for my 'Pass Sanitaire' on the way back.

Seeing as I couldn't post the test (the one which I had to buy to receive the aforesaid unnecessary code) in time to get the result before coming back, it's still with me unused.

What a load of bollocks.
  • I can do one better than that. Came back from Italy last week, before flying back I was filling in the locator form but for some reason every time I uploaded the vaccine QR code it wasn't being recognised, the government website assured me not to worry as I can just show the proof of vaccination to someone at the border when I return. Get back to Gatwick, I go to use the e-gate expecting it to tell me to go see one of the border staff. Nope, straight through.
  • Sponsored links:

• colthe3rd said:
    I can do one better than that. Came back from Italy last week, before flying back I was filling in the locator form but for some reason every time I uploaded the vaccine QR code it wasn't being recognised, the government website assured me not to worry as I can just show the proof of vaccination to someone at the border when I return. Get back to Gatwick, I go to use the e-gate expecting it to tell me to go see one of the border staff. Nope, straight through.
    You are saying that you were able to complete your UK locator form without the Day 2 registration reference?

Just goes to show what a load of bullshit and bollox all these Government requirements are.
    And that's before we're forced to pay out the substantial extra expense for all the tests and paperwork.

We're being conned.

• edited September 2021
    Got back yesterday evening.

In the end no-one asked me for the code to my test or my Passenger Locator Form.

Only the French asked for my negative Covid19 test on the way out and for my 'Pass Sanitaire' on the way back.

Seeing as I couldn't post the test (the one which I had to buy to receive the aforesaid unnecessary code) in time to get the result before coming back, it's still with me unused.

What a load of bollocks.
    We needed to complete a locator form in order to board our flight back from Spain. Without it we would not be able to board.

I understand the tests that are carried out are used to understand the wider picture, variants etc. So whilst I'd rather not pay, I'm happy to contribute to understanding the wider picture
  • Oggy Red said:
    colthe3rd said:
    I can do one better than that. Came back from Italy last week, before flying back I was filling in the locator form but for some reason every time I uploaded the vaccine QR code it wasn't being recognised, the government website assured me not to worry as I can just show the proof of vaccination to someone at the border when I return. Get back to Gatwick, I go to use the e-gate expecting it to tell me to go see one of the border staff. Nope, straight through.
    You are saying that you were able to complete your UK locator form without the Day 2 registration reference?

Just goes to show what a load of bullshit and bollox all these Government requirements are.
    And that's before we're forced to pay out the substantial extra expense for all the tests and paperwork.

We're being conned.

No sorry maybe I wasn't clear, I was able to put my day 2 test reference in fine. It was the part that asks you to upload proof of vaccination which I downloaded the QR code from the NHS app and tried to upload onto the PLF website. I tried multiple times and it kept saying QR code not recognised, then after a few goes it showed a message saying I can show the proof of vaccination to a border officer when I arrive. I still got a locator form but in the section about vaccination status it just has UNKNOWN. 

I'm fairly sure the reason they have all these hoops to jump through is just to discourage anyone who hasn't been vaccinated or taken any tests from travelling because the systems don't seem to work at all regardless of how much money has been spunked on them.
     It doesn't make poor policy any less poor but shows that the UK isn't the only country that hasn't got everything right. It is understandable in the unprecedented circumstances.

Every country has different dynamics, demographics etc but none has got it 100% right (and citing different EU countries for different aspects doesn't count!)
    No country has got it 100% right. So is that a get out of jail free card to get things badly wrong? And a reason why these things that have been got wrong can't be pointed out/commented on. I mean, Adkins is shite but we shouldn't criticise because so was Fraye! 

No country has got it 100% right. So is that a get out of jail free card to get things badly wrong? And a reason why these things that have been got wrong can't be pointed out/commented on. I mean, Adkins is shite but we shouldn't criticise because so was Fraye! 
    I agree no one has got it completely right and most countries have got some bits right but not others. I think we need to be reasonable and realistic  when we criticise though and try to leave personal circs and politics out of it - most policy takes months. If not years and the policy makers (who aren't the politicians) are having to make completely new policies for an unknown situation with ridiculously short timescales and deadlines in a constantly changing situation.

Having been in IT systems way back and routine and one-off crisis policy more recently, quite frankly I'm amazed at how much has been achieved by so many (without hindsight).
  • colthe3rd said:
    Oggy Red said:
    colthe3rd said:

We're being conned.

No sorry maybe I wasn't clear, I was able to put my day 2 test reference in fine. It was the part that asks you to upload proof of vaccination which I downloaded the QR code from the NHS app and tried to upload onto the PLF website. I tried multiple times and it kept saying QR code not recognised, then after a few goes it showed a message saying I can show the proof of vaccination to a border officer when I arrive. I still got a locator form but in the section about vaccination status it just has UNKNOWN. 

I'm fairly sure the reason they have all these hoops to jump through is just to discourage anyone who hasn't been vaccinated or taken any tests from travelling because the systems don't seem to work at all regardless of how much money has been spunked on them.
    We had the same problem trying to upload the QR code. Fortunately we had access to a printer and took along a hard copy of everything just in case. The only checks carried out were left to the Ryanair staff at Malaga airport. All credit to them it was all pretty efficiently handled. When we got back to Liverpool nobody checked anything except our passports. There was a sign saying ‘random’ checks of vaccinated status were being carried out but didn’t see anyone doing them. Conversely when we had arrived in Malaga our Spanish locator form QR code was checked and a team of white coated personnel were checking everybody’s vaccination certificates.

I might add we felt much safer in Spain than in the U.K. Everyone was wearing masks on public transport, in shops and restaurants.
  • edited September 2021
    We were checked at Gatwick that we had the right documentation etc to go to Spain before we could board to flight and the corresponding checks in Spain, except they did re-check our QR code in Spain on arrival (as we need to be vaccinated with the documentation we had) but then again we didn't the equivalent when returning to the UK (as didn't need to be vaccinated) but couldn't have got in the flight anyway if we hadn't.

Not sure how many random tests are actually being carried as only know of 3 people who have been checked.

I agree, adherence by the Spanish (not so the Brits) was much better in Spain and wish it was the same here. Apparently covid is completely over on London transport
  • Chaz Hill said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Oggy Red said:
    colthe3rd said:

We're being conned.

We had the same problem trying to upload the QR code. Fortunately we had access to a printer and took along a hard copy of everything just in case. The only checks carried out were left to the Ryanair staff at Malaga airport. All credit to them it was all pretty efficiently handled. When we got back to Liverpool nobody checked anything except our passports. There was a sign saying ‘random’ checks of vaccinated status were being carried out but didn’t see anyone doing them. Conversely when we had arrived in Malaga our Spanish locator form QR code was checked and a team of white coated personnel were checking everybody’s vaccination certificates.

I might add we felt much safer in Spain than in the U.K. Everyone was wearing masks on public transport, in shops and restaurants.
    Had exactly the same checking in for the return flight, everything was thoroughly checked at the desk, much more so than at Gatwick heading out or coming back. And yes in Italy  in the 5 days I was there I think I saw one person not wearing a mask indoors. Checking of the COVID passport was hit and miss, most restaurants didn't bother but at tourist attractions they all scanned them.
  • colthe3rd said:
    Oggy Red said:
    colthe3rd said:

We're being conned.

You wouldn't have been downloading anything from the NHS app for return to the UK, only leaving the UK.
    On your passenger locator form for return to the UK you would have had to provide the booking reference for your day 2 test and the result of your pre-departure test, which you take 2/3 days before you return to the UK. 

I agree no one has got it completely right and most countries have got some bits right but not others. I think we need to be reasonable and realistic  when we criticise though and try to leave personal circs and politics out of it - most policy takes months. If not years and the policy makers (who aren't the politicians) are having to make completely new policies for an unknown situation with ridiculously short timescales and deadlines in a constantly changing situation.

Having been in IT systems way back and routine and one-off crisis policy more recently, quite frankly I'm amazed at how much has been achieved by so many (without hindsight).
    I think those making excuses for mistakes are being political. It is just as easy to identify their political sympathies as it is those pointing out the mistakes.