Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

COVID and overseas travel

Comments

• Options
    There should be only one name on the list.

The NHS.

And one price. probably £50 for PCR.
  • Options

The NHS.

I wish it were that simple. As mentioned previously, they are a bit busy at the moment - can't think why! They don't have the capacity; staff, equipment or premises
  • Options

The NHS.

I wish it were that simple. As mentioned previously, they are a bit busy at the moment - can't think why! They don't have the capacity; staff, equipment or premises
    So you keep saying, ad nauseam. However you have swerved my repeated requests to explain whether and why you think their German counterparts are less “busy”. Admittedly they havent made quite such an epic cock up of pandemic management as the Brits. But I suspect you wont want to use that particular excuse.  
  • Options
    edited September 2021

The NHS.

So you keep saying, ad nauseam. However you have swerved my repeated requests to explain whether and why you think their German counterparts are less “busy”. Admittedly they havent made quite such an epic cock up of pandemic management as the Brits. But I suspect you wont want to use that particular excuse.  
    I can honestly say I don't anything about the German counterparts. I believe it is dual public-private but run quite differently though. I can only quote what all the people I know who work in the NHS have told me this which is why I have posted it. Anyone (really) in the know is more than welcome to contradict me as my friends/friends/acquaintances could all be wrong.

Edited to clarify; that I know who work in the NHS AND I have spoken to about this
  • Options
    edited September 2021
  • Options

The NHS.

The NHS.

• Options

The NHS.

The NHS.

The NHS.

The NHS.

The NHS.

The NHS.

The NHS.

The NHS.

Yawn.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

The NHS.

The NHS.

The NHS.

The NHS.

The NHS.

The NHS.

The NHS.

The NHS.

Yawn.
    Maybe because it is still correct and ther eis also no need to keep saying it should be the NHS (ad nauseum), maybe it isn't, but no one has evidenced they have the capacity. Have you found an alternative day 2 PCR test provider that is on the approved list as Expert Medicals aren't on the approved list (anymore) and I am sure you don't want to risk a £1,000 fine like my Spanish teacher's friend got.

Shame such an important topic is boring you
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    PCR test justed booked here in France for the day before departure to England.

It's still free.

Only because you are a French resident. I had to pay for mine at our local French pharmacy.

I wasn't just thinking of myself. Why is it not free for UK residents in the UK?

I'm now looking to book a test in the UK but I still can't find one for a decent price. I ask for Greater London and then I click on one and it turns out to be in Chester (to give one example).
    More like, why is it free in France? I chose to travel, so I have to pay, for now?

I have had the same re the approved suppliers; you have to go through each one to check the price and circs etc.
    Hi  @PrincessFiona,
    The test is only free in France if you are a French citizen/resident ...... or you pay French taxes/Mutuelle, etc.

Everybody else pays, including foreign non-resident workers, other nationals visiting family, plus holidaymakers.
    The one exception is if you contract Covid in France - then it's free via your EHIC card, like other illness or injury.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

It's still free.

Only because you are a French resident. I had to pay for mine at our local French pharmacy.

I wasn't just thinking of myself. Why is it not free for UK residents in the UK?

I'm now looking to book a test in the UK but I still can't find one for a decent price. I ask for Greater London and then I click on one and it turns out to be in Chester (to give one example).
    More like, why is it free in France? I chose to travel, so I have to pay, for now?

I have had the same re the approved suppliers; you have to go through each one to check the price and circs etc.
    Hi  @PrincessFiona,
    The test is only free in France if you are a French citizen/resident ...... or you pay French taxes/Mutuelle, etc.

Everybody else pays, including foreign non-resident workers, other nationals visiting family, plus holidaymakers.
    The one exception is if you contract Covid in France - then it's free via your EHIC card, like other illness or injury.

Thanks for clarifying. I commented because it was suggested it should be free in the UK. And I said as I chose to travel, I should pay for the tests when they are deemed necessary
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

It's still free.

Hi  @PrincessFiona,

Thanks for clarifying. I commented because it was suggested it should be free in the UK. And I said as I chose to travel, I should pay for the tests when they are deemed necessary
    Happy to help in any way. 

In France, it's not usually essential to pre-book any French PCR test/fit to fly Antigen test, etc.

You just turn up at the Pharmacy and they do it on the spot.
    You wait 10 minutes for the result, then handed a certificate declaring you are Negative or Positive.

Very easy to find a participating Pharmacy, as usually tests are advertised on the shop window or online.
    France is a nation of Pharmacies. It seems almost like there's one on every street corner, with it's flashing illuminated green cross shopsign. 

• Options

The NHS.

Yawn.
    Maybe because it is still correct and ther eis also no need to keep saying it should be the NHS (ad nauseum), maybe it isn't, but no one has evidenced they have the capacity. Have you found an alternative day 2 PCR test provider that is on the approved list as Expert Medicals aren't on the approved list (anymore) and I am sure you don't want to risk a £1,000 fine like my Spanish teacher's friend got.

The shame is that I read this before going to bed and you got me worrying about it. Do I now pay for another test ? - the next cheapest being 55 quid (having already paid 28 quid). Perhaps I should for ease of mind. But why should I? - I've already booked one. You know how when you're trying to go to sleep, you can start to churn these thoughts over. Finally I got up at 3am and decided to check this out. 

What I have discovered on the government website makes even less sense:

The government does not endorse, recommend or approve any private test provider. Individuals and employers should conduct their own research about available providers and the testing services they supply. For information about customer service, please check consumer review websites. Locations by region are included next to provider names in each list.

The organisations on the lists do not constitute fully UKAS accredited providers but have demonstrated compliance with the applicable minimum standards, as they progress through the accreditation process.

Each scheme has different minimum standards, which means a test provider of general COVID-19 testing may not meet the minimum standards for Test to Release for international arrivals and/or day 2 and 8 testing for international arrivals.

The lists are not exhaustive. Some organisations which have self-declared that they meet the government’s minimum standards for the type of testing service they offer have decided to opt out from being published on these lists.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/list-of-private-providers-of-coronavirus-testing/list-of-private-providers-of-coronavirus-testing

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/09/expert-medicals-removed-from-day-2-and-day-8-testing-list/

As is said in Which magazine, Expert Medicals are removed from the list but they are still allowed to sell tests. Therefore if they are still allowed (and the government waives endorsements and recommendations) then would I really possibly be fined for using them? After all I have 'conducted my own research' by reading their website. If I rang them I'm sure they would assure me (rightly or wrongly) that their tests are fine. I might believe them and I may be foolish but 'I have conducted my own research'.

More questions than answers.

Lastly, a note to Princess Fiona - if you answer this question (and I'm assuming now that you work for the civil service or the government) please back up your points with website links or a scan of a document or suchlike because 'my teacher's friend' is either just scaremongering or ill-informed news (did he /she even book ANY test / is it comparable to my situation?) and I'm so sick and literally tired of this (it's now 4.01AM and I was booking my test twelve hours ago!)). 

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Chaz Hill said:
    Chaz Hill said:
    addix said:
    Chaz Hill said:
    Anybody used the Eurofins drive through PCR test for Day2 Amber return from abroad? They are advertising tests ‘from’ £20 at their Warrington test centre not far from me. I can’t seem to get their on line registration process to work though!  Beginning to look like another bunch of cowboys to me. The sooner this Day2 con is stopped the better!
    Haven't used them for the drive through test, but they were the ones I booked my fit-to-fly test through at Valencia airport and it was well organised and got result back quickly.
    Cheers. Will keep trying then.
    Finally figured out the weirdly laid out online reg form and have booked Amber return  2 day pcr tests at the Eurofins, Warrington site for the wife and I for £20 each. Result that. Even cheaper in the end than 'bad boys' Expert Medicals.
    Sent back my Expert Medicals day 2 test a week ago, still heard nothing! 
    Just booked Expert Medicals.

After two hours of trying they were the only ones I could do a booking with for a test I can either do at home or reasonably get to for under 30 quid. I was tempted to book a 20 quid one in Manchester with no intention of going to actually do the test but I went for the company for whom I do the test but probably will never get the results.

What a joke!!!!!!
    Nearly two weeks after sending the test back still nothing so decided to try and ring them. Most surprisingly they answered. 

After checking they tell me they never received our tests and suggested the Royal Mail maybe to blame. They then said they would check with RM and if they'd lost them they would send a couple of new tests out although what good this would do I don't know.

So in summary, spent £56 not done a day 2 PCR test and no one has checked
  • Options

The NHS.

Yawn.

The shame is that I read this before going to bed and you got me worrying about it. Do I now pay for another test ? - the next cheapest being 55 quid (having already paid 28 quid). Perhaps I should for ease of mind. But why should I? - I've already booked one. You know how when you're trying to go to sleep, you can start to churn these thoughts over. Finally I got up at 3am and decided to check this out. 

What I have discovered on the government website makes even less sense:

The government does not endorse, recommend or approve any private test provider. Individuals and employers should conduct their own research about available providers and the testing services they supply. For information about customer service, please check consumer review websites. Locations by region are included next to provider names in each list.

The organisations on the lists do not constitute fully UKAS accredited providers but have demonstrated compliance with the applicable minimum standards, as they progress through the accreditation process.

Each scheme has different minimum standards, which means a test provider of general COVID-19 testing may not meet the minimum standards for Test to Release for international arrivals and/or day 2 and 8 testing for international arrivals.

The lists are not exhaustive. Some organisations which have self-declared that they meet the government’s minimum standards for the type of testing service they offer have decided to opt out from being published on these lists.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/list-of-private-providers-of-coronavirus-testing/list-of-private-providers-of-coronavirus-testing

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/09/expert-medicals-removed-from-day-2-and-day-8-testing-list/

As is said in Which magazine, Expert Medicals are removed from the list but they are still allowed to sell tests. Therefore if they are still allowed (and the government waives endorsements and recommendations) then would I really possibly be fined for using them? After all I have 'conducted my own research' by reading their website. If I rang them I'm sure they would assure me (rightly or wrongly) that their tests are fine. I might believe them and I may be foolish but 'I have conducted my own research'.

More questions than answers.

Lastly, a note to Princess Fiona - if you answer this question (and I'm assuming now that you work for the civil service or the government) please back up your points with website links or a scan of a document or suchlike because 'my teacher's friend' is either just scaremongering or ill-informed news (did he /she even book ANY test / is it comparable to my situation?) and I'm so sick and literally tired of this (it's now 4.01AM and I was booking my test twelve hours ago!)). 

Just seen your post. I'm sorry if my post worried you - it wasmeant to warn you to check your test was OK so you didn't get fined. I am only on my phone at present and don't know how to copy and past links like I do on my laptop.

There is a link on government pages that includes providers and I think, but will check later that Expert Medicals, was on it but isn't know. My understanding, but I may be wrong, is that Expert Medicals was on an 'approved list' but has been removed from it in early September.

I posted the link to Which? As I see them as a trusted source, but maybe what they have said is wrong. I will make some more checks.

Obviously what my Spanish teacher said to me is 3rd hand and I haven't spoken to her friend directly. I only know she was warning us because of what her friend told her happened to her. She said she had arranged a test but something about it wasn't correct and she had to book another but was fined £1000. Honestly, I didn't totally understand exactly what happened and didn't ask anything further as I just took it as a warning to be 100% sure. It was also interesting to hear fines do actually happen

If Expert Medicals are still able to sell tests which in any way are not acceptable, then that is shocking.

Despite our (significant) differences on this thread, I wouldn't want you getting fined. So my comment was intended to warn you to check. As with most, if not everything on CL, we try to help one another but ultimately someone could inadvertently give incorrect/poor advice and I did say I didn't know if what I had said was current.

I hope you get it sorted so let us know how you get ion. I will make further checks later. I haven't been involved in travel advice in any way for a few years now, but may be able to check with contacts if needs be.
  • Options
    Has anyone on here used Exoert Medicals since Setember 2?
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/03/covid-test-operator-removed-from-uk-government-website

So I have done a few more checks and found this which says similar to Which? But it doesn't conclusively say if the tests are acceptable for travel or not, just that Expert Medicals have been removed from a list on the government website. 

I ma going out for the day (as on holiday) so may not have signal or the opportunity to look into this any further for a while. Plus I find it easier when I'm on my laptop than my phone - for technology reasons and because I am finding I really need my (previously mostly redundant) reading glasses when I use my phone!
  • Options

The NHS.

I can honestly say I don't anything about the German counterparts. I believe it is dual public-private but run quite differently though. I can only quote what all the people I know who work in the NHS have told me this which is why I have posted it. Anyone (really) in the know is more than welcome to contradict me as my friends/friends/acquaintances could all be wrong.

Edited to clarify; that I know who work in the NHS AND I have spoken to about this
    The German system like most in Europe uses the insurance system, to which there are advantages and disadvantages compared with the UK system, however its nothing like the US system if that is what you imagine. You pay out of your payroll like in the UK. The other distincitive  thing about Germany is that regional governments run the insurance aspects of it. However the funding for the health system overall is every bit as public as in the UK and nobody in politics there wants it any different. 

My daughter in law (who is Czech) works as a doctor in a German hospital, because like in the UK, the system depends on “immigrants” to keep its staffing levels up. Her hospital is a general town one, but it was designated (by the State) as a special Covid hospital for several months during the pandemic peak there. 

In Germany as elsewhere the basic system was overwhelmed by the pandemic. Private laboratories and their staff were - of course - required to join the effort to get testing to the required volume. Special centres were set up for testing. On holiday, the one we visited was in the fire station of the small coastal town, pop. About 2k. I could not say whether the staff were sub contracted from a private lab. Germany did not want us to think about it. The antigen test they wanted us to do ( because we had only been jabbed less than 14 days earlier) was free to us with our EIHC cards - which means rhat it was paid for collectively by the combined health systems of EU countries. They did the test on us and recorded the results in the system. Dodgy self testing was not on offer. 

Summary. The German system was under unprecedented strain. It too needed to sub contract out testing. The difference is that at the point of use, Geŕmany and CZ ( and probably most other countiries) ensure the national health system is managing the process. No ComparetheDodgyPCRtest.com inflicted on worried citizens. 

I do not see any reason why the UK could not adopt that principle. It is about management, not front-line resource.
  • Options
    Thanks for the insight into the German system. I am definitely not best placed to say whether that - maybe a felloe lifer who works in the NHS wold be able to comment on this and why we can't pay the NHS for tests - it would be much better for the NHS to have our money than a private firm.

As mentioned before, I am just going out for the day, so don't have time to follow up something I have seen here https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/23/cowboy-providers-could-lose-approval-to-sell-pcr-travel-tests
    that says 'The NHS official test and trace package for international arrivals has been reduced from £88 to £68 for green or fully vaccinated amber arrivals, and from £170 to £136 for two tests for amber arrivals who are not fully vaccinated' - is/was there an 'NHS official test and trace package for international arrivals'?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    You only need to buy a test to be able to get the QR code on the locator form. Just buy the cheapest (Expert medical) and get the code, who cares if the test turns up or not. The EM reference number will still generate a QR code, despite the gov removing it from their 'approved' list. 

Paying £70 because you can't drop it off at 11.13 in Peterborough, on the third Tuesday of the month, is just stupid. 

• Options
    Yes, never turned up.  Again
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Samples of the day 2 tests are genomically tested to identify new variants as early as possible, according to spokesperson on the radio.

• Options
    It makes sense to align our travel rules with the EU at this stage as a lot of people travel to EU destinations and we are one of those destinations.
  • Options
    ads said:
    Ok, but did you get the 'code'? That, as @Croydon says is the end game if you want to fulfill obligations and don't care about the actual test (although if I receive it I will do it)

I've got a 'booking reference number' which they say to put on the Passenger Locator Form so I'm guessing that this is the 'code.'

I have to wait a few more days until I can fill in the form so maybe @ads could kindly confirm this in advance.

• Options
    ads said:
    I ordered with Expert Medicals on Saturday afternoon at 3.42pm. The test was delivered this afternoon (Monday) before 3pm. So it took less than 48h.
    Best price. Good service.
    Put them back on the list.
  • Options
    ads said:
    I ordered with Expert Medicals on Saturday afternoon at 3.42pm. The test was delivered this afternoon (Monday) before 3pm. So it took less than 48h.
    Best price. Good service.
    Put them back on the list.
    My understanding is that not getting the result, not the test, is the issue. 

Am still unclear on the implications of being on the list, or not.
  • Options
    no, it just didnt turn up.  had the code for the plf, so it was alright on that front.  some people have beenstaying in for 10 days until/if they arrive
  • Options
    I think we will go with Randex. Whilst I want the code for return travel I do actually want the test to be done as it contributes to the overall stats and situation. I don't like paying more than I need to, but as I can afford to go on holiday, I can afford a few more £s!
  • Options

The White House says it will lift most restrictions which bar foreign nationals who have been in the UK, and other countries including China and Brazil, from travelling to the US.

But foreigners flying to the US will face a requirement to be fully vaccinated from early November.

The White House also says US citizens who are not vaccinated will face stricter Covid testing requirements.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-58621759

• Options
    I think we will go with Randex. Whilst I want the code for return travel I do actually want the test to be done as it contributes to the overall stats and situation. I don't like paying more than I need to, but as I can afford to go on holiday, I can afford a few more £s!
    Well, in the end myself I went with the Randox.

Despite my misgivings because a Tory minister has got his grubby fingers in the profiteering with Randox ...... I was getting desperate, as you can't even complete your UK Locator form without a Day 2 test reference number, let alone being refused to get on the plane.

Easy Jet offered me a way out as Randox was one of their 'discount' options (save £5) ...... with a link on their website.

When I finally got home and opened the front door, the test packet was on the doormat.
    Day 2 arrived and my neighbour nurse did the swabbing with me.

Afterwards there was then a swab registration thing to fill in online, which was another time consuming irritation, but finally everything was sealed up and ready to send.

Randox strongly advise you to drop the return packet in one of their specially designated 'Drop boxes', scattered in random locations around the country.
    Try finding one in rural Cornwall !!

Their next option was for you to order Courier Delivery at your own extra expense to their lab in Northern Ireland.
    They strongly advise against sending by Royal Mail.

Well, sod this for a game of soldiers.
    I had already paid through the nose for a pointless Day 2 test - and I wasn't going to waste any more of my money.
    So of course, I posted it in a Royal Mail postbox.

Within 24 hours I had an email from Randox confirming delivery ........ (thank you, Royal Mail for quick delivery).
    And next day, a further email stating my test was negative.

My verdict? Well, Randox did what they promised: prompt delivery of the packet to my home, confirmation of receiving at their lab and quick test result.
    It still makes me feel uneasy though; Tory government ministers profiteering - and the extra pointless expense when my greatest Covid risk was after returning to broken Britain.

It's a scam.

• Options
    Meanwhile my Sweish mate who with his colleagues just decided to bin their Day2s, returned to England for another meeting last week. This time he said he did the test, out of respect for his local office which had ordered it for him,  but he doubts he did it properly ( would you push it so far up your nose, that your eyes water?) it got posted off, but once again, when he flew out of LHR nobody checked if he had done it. 

It’s a scam.