Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

COVID and overseas travel

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2021
    May be an image of 1 person and text

'Compelling reasons include visiting family'
  • Options
    This was the first clip doing the rounds, he then went on to say that "visiting retired parents etc" in France would not be on the list.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    This was the first clip doing the rounds, he then went on to say that "visiting retired parents etc" in France would not be on the list.
    Doesn't affect me, but thought I'd post in case it helped someone else - what is covered by 'compelling reasons, which includes visiting family' - if visiting family can be sufficient compelling reasons, visiting (elderly?) parents should be pretty compelling?
  • Options
    This is his latest summary -

Tbh, as long as there have been ferries and flights, we've known people who have been going backwards and forwards since it all began and just lying on their form. Which is a reason I thought from the start that the form is a waste of time. But if you're going by the rules, visiting family is not on the list. Both me and my Mrs have a carte de sejour, but because of the rigmarole of testing and self isolating, we've decided to just knock it on the head and she's saying in the UK
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Doesn't affect me, but thought I'd post in case it helped someone else - what is covered by 'compelling reasons, which includes visiting family' - if visiting family can be sufficient compelling reasons, visiting (elderly?) parents should be pretty compelling?
    We used this reason for my Mrs to get out here last time,  due to having a kidney transplant I am in the high risk category. Long story but without the people from DFDS down at Newhaven, I'd have been on my jax last Christmas n all. She was basically the only foot passenger on the boat and they couldn't have been more helpful.

So sure there are ways, but it doesn't look like at the moment visiting family is on the list, it doesn't matter whether people think it should be. There's been 100s of things go on over the past 2 and half years that the majority think strange or wrong, but they've still applied.

For example - People could travel around France in camper vans, going where they wanted, but everyone had to be off the road by 23h? 

• Options
    Gribbo said:

Tbh, as long as there have been ferries and flights, we've known people who have been going backwards and forwards since it all began and just lying on their form. Which is a reason I thought from the start that the form is a waste of time. But if you're going by the rules, visiting family is not on the list. Both me and my Mrs have a carte de sejour, but because of the rigmarole of testing and self isolating, we've decided to just knock it on the head and she's saying in the UK
    By lying, do you mean people lie about why they are travelling?
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

By lying, do you mean people lie about why they are travelling?
    Yeah. There's a woman we know who, I can only guess, is registered in both the UK and France and just used the fact she was resident in either country to do what she wanted. She also took out the £10k small business grant in the UK and stuck it all in Premium Bonds until she has to pay it back, and all the while she was getting furloughed as a self employed person by the French government.
  • Options
    My advice would be don't come to France this month if you want to keep your sanity.

Everyone's gone mad. 

One of many examples over the last few days - my son received lines at school
    'I must wear my mask correctly.'
    To be written 85 times.

Total subjugation is close.
  • Options
    I got fined by the police today for wearing a Santa hat pulled down over my head as a mask OUTSIDE in the school playground when picking up my daughter from school.
  • Options
    Currently in France, returning Sunday, as we have a gaff out here we can return, however not planning coming back till Spring, hopefully things will be more relaxed by then.  Know a family out here who are renovating a Chateau, their kids and grandkids were due early next week, obviously now that ain’t gonna happen. Feel for them and all those cancelling their skiing trips. 

Personally my view is that it’s politically motivated by both sides, Omicron is alive and kicking in France too.  Frenchies do appear to more compliant with regards to face masks and the vaccine passport, Pass Sanitare, and their systems works very easily & quickly. Was at La Rochelle rugby last Sunday, full capacity, 16000 people,  very well organised &  queues moved very quickly and had to wear face mask throughout. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Omicrom is alive but certainly not kicking in France.

There are 16 people with Delta in intensive care in La Roche sur Yon and 0 with Omicrom.
    20 something others in the wards, none with Omicrom. In France there are just a few hundred with Omicrom.

Fund the hospitals and bring down the government.
  • Options
    98% of footballers in Serie A are double vaccinated
    92% of footballers in La Liga are double vaccinated 

No matches have been called off this weekend in either League

No up to date figures have been forthcoming from the PL but, as of November, 63% of players had been double vaccinated. We know that 25% are not vaccinated at all in the EFL. Half of all games this weekend have been postponed.
  • Options
    Back on topic.
    Why does the French government site for entry to the UK (see attached) read as different to the UK government website?
    I really don't understand if a 'tourist' is allowed into the UK or not.

• Options
    Back on topic.
    Why does the French government site for entry to the UK (see attached) read as different to the UK government website?

What is the UK Gov advice? 
  • Options
    Back on topic.

This is to do with French requirements, which are to do with people travelling to/through France - there are 2 scenarios regarding the UK; travelling to/through France FROM the UK or traveling from or through France  TO the UK. It has nothing to do with UK requirements!
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    In case anyone needs a day 2 lateral flow test when coming back into the country the cheapest one I've found is £12 from Simply Test Me 
    https://www.simplytestme.co.uk/booking
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Back on topic.

This is to do with French requirements, which are to do with people travelling to/through France - there are 2 scenarios regarding the UK; travelling to/through France FROM the UK or traveling from or through France  TO the UK. It has nothing to do with UK requirements!
    But the left hand column is for Traveling to the UK from France with no mention of passing through other countries.

This is what it says on the French government website:

From Saturday 18 December 2021 onwards, the following rules will apply to all people travelling from the United Kingdom, whether or not they are vaccinated:

Both non-vaccinated and vaccinated people will be required to have a compelling reason to travel to or from the UK. These reasons are listed in the document here and at the following address: https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Attestation-de-deplacement-et-de-voyage. People will not be permitted to travel as tourists or for professional reasons. Being French is a compelling reason to return to France. French people’s partners (spouses, PACS partners or cohabiting partners (on presentation of proof of cohabitation)) and their children will still be able to travel to France.

It contradicts the UK website.
    This is why I am confused.
  • Options
    Back on topic.

But the left hand column is for Traveling to the UK from France with no mention of passing through other countries.

This is what it says on the French government website:

From Saturday 18 December 2021 onwards, the following rules will apply to all people travelling from the United Kingdom, whether or not they are vaccinated:

Both non-vaccinated and vaccinated people will be required to have a compelling reason to travel to or from the UK. These reasons are listed in the document here and at the following address: https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Attestation-de-deplacement-et-de-voyage. People will not be permitted to travel as tourists or for professional reasons. Being French is a compelling reason to return to France. French people’s partners (spouses, PACS partners or cohabiting partners (on presentation of proof of cohabitation)) and their children will still be able to travel to France.

It contradicts the UK website.
    This is why I am confused.
    It relates to going into France, either to or from the UK and nothing to do with UK requirements 
  • Options
    You say 'going into France' and  'either to or from the UK'.

That itself is contradictory. Why not just 'going into France from the UK' if it doesn't concern those going to the UK?
  • Options

That itself is contradictory. Why not just 'going into France from the UK' if it doesn't concern those going to the UK?
    There are 2 columns and refer to going in/through France. The last country before that may have been the UK or the next country may be the UK. That is what it is relating to.

It is no skin of my nose if you understand the guidance or not, but I was trying to help you realise you have misunderstood that the guidance you referred to had bearing on entering the UK, from the UK point of view.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

There are 2 columns and refer to going in/through France. The last country before that may have been the UK or the next country may be the UK. That is what it is relating to.

It is no skin of my nose if you understand the guidance or not, but I was trying to help you realise you have misunderstood that the guidance you referred to had bearing on entering the UK, from the UK point of view.
    De rien, d'allieurs
  • Options
    I'm still in France waiting to see if the situation in the UK changes.
    There's hardly any options to travel easily back to Cornwall from Marseille, anyway.

However, I did find this on the Easyjet site, if it should help clarify:

Entering the UK from 7 January 2022

05/01/2022

The UK Government has announced that requirements for entering the UK are changing.

We are sharing the latest advice, as we understand it, but please continue to check government advice before you travel as details can change. 

From 7 January 2022, fully vaccinated passengers arriving from countries not on the red list, will no longer need to take a pre-departure test or self-isolate after arrival while waiting for a negative day 2 test result and will only need to:

• complete a passenger locator form
    • book a test to take within 2 days of arrival

From 4 AM on 9 January 2022, fully vaccinated passengers arriving from countries not on the red list, will be able to take a lateral flow test instead of a PCR test after arrival.

If you are not fully vaccinated, or have been in a red-list country in the last 10 days, stricter quarantine and testing rules will apply.  Please make sure you check the latest UK Government advice before you travel.

We're looking forward to seeing you on board soon.

https://www.easyjet.com/en/help/preparing-to-fly/latest-travel-information

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I'm still in France waiting to see if the situation in the UK changes.
    There's hardly any options to travel easily back to Cornwall from Marseille, anyway.

However, I did find this on the Easyjet site, if it should help clarify:

Entering the UK from 7 January 2022

05/01/2022

The UK Government has announced that requirements for entering the UK are changing.

We are sharing the latest advice, as we understand it, but please continue to check government advice before you travel as details can change. 

From 7 January 2022, fully vaccinated passengers arriving from countries not on the red list, will no longer need to take a pre-departure test or self-isolate after arrival while waiting for a negative day 2 test result and will only need to:

• complete a passenger locator form
    • book a test to take within 2 days of arrival

From 4 AM on 9 January 2022, fully vaccinated passengers arriving from countries not on the red list, will be able to take a lateral flow test instead of a PCR test after arrival.

If you are not fully vaccinated, or have been in a red-list country in the last 10 days, stricter quarantine and testing rules will apply.  Please make sure you check the latest UK Government advice before you travel.

We're looking forward to seeing you on board soon.

https://www.easyjet.com/en/help/preparing-to-fly/latest-travel-information

What are your concerns re the situation in the UK?
  • Options
    Hi @PrincessFiona
    Whether the situation is still as bad as it was a week ago; if the public are safely observing Covid precautions on public transport; if the Government are taking responsibility and enforcing Covid precautions and protections; and of course, testing and isolation requirements in order to return to the UK - which have been hugely expensive (compared to those in France).

But as I posted above, there has been Government changes to requirements with effect from this weekend. That's encouraging and helps simplify matters.

In my own case, however, it's still difficult to get from Marseille to Cornwall easily in one day using public transport. There really isn't many options. I usually fly Easyjet .... but they've suspended the service Marseille - Gatwick (Cornwall's local international airport) until February 4th.

Ryan Air still offer a service to Stanstead a few days a week but the departure times are too late in the day for me to get home without paying out for a hotel in the London area.

TGV from Marseille to Paris and Eurostar to London? Expensive plus overnight hotel cost in Paris. I don't have that budget.

Meanwhile, I'm still here in Marseille happy enough at chez girlfriend - but with commitments at home, I do need to get back sooner or later.

Meanwhile, I continue to watch the situation, hoping that regular travel options will soon be reinstated.

• Options
    Hi again, @PrincessFiona

I've just read through my post above again and it does sound a little abrupt.
    So sorry about that.

I meant it only to be descriptive of my situation - but didn't have time to re-read before posting. Dinner was ready and I had to go to the table when I was told! :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Hi again, @PrincessFiona

So sorry about that.

I meant it only to be descriptive of my situation - but didn't have time to re-read before posting. Dinner was ready and I had to go to the table when I was told! :smile:

Cases have fallen dramatically here - just check the UK requirements and not the ones for France that reference the UK, lol!!!!! I have observed improved mask etc adherence, but I think that will lapse with falling concerns and case numbers

I hope you are able to travel soon

Btw it didn't sound abrupt compared to others!  :D
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Hi again, @PrincessFiona

So sorry about that.

Cases have fallen dramatically here - just check the UK requirements and not the ones for France that reference the UK, lol!!!!! I have observed improved mask etc adherence, but I think that will lapse with falling concerns and case numbers

Thank you, Princess, c'est gentille. :smile:

Yep, all I need now is a flight at the right departure time at the right price and train connection to get home. I'm sure if I'm patient, things will open up soon.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Hi again, @PrincessFiona

So sorry about that.

Thank you, Princess, c'est gentille. :smile:

Yep, all I need now is a flight at the right departure time at the right price and train connection to get home. I'm sure if I'm patient, things will open up soon.

Aucun probleme. C'est difficile reserver ce voyage
  • Options
    Have just booked Tenerife for September 🤞 Fingers crossed no need for a cancellation.
  • Options
    our ski trip to Bulgaria in Feb half term is currently screwed as they've changed the rules to over 12's being fully vaccinated - eldest daughter won't have had her 2nd vaccine by then.

tried to cancel and get money back at the moment and they've refused saying talk to insurers - it's not their issue and she should've had her jabs. they've only just changed the rules and it was all fine when we booked it a year ago!, tried to push the trip back and they basically want the same price again to move it