Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Croatia - Match thread

Comments

• Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Putting this in Charlton terms makes that Trippier choice so wrong.

Chris Solly was a fantastic RB for us. I think the 3 worst games I’ve ever seen him have were at LB. I remember he even got sent off he’d lost his head that much!

Im afraid the same will happen with Trippier. Quality RB, unproven LB being thrown in the deep end.
    problem is that Trippier is a very reliable player and Southgate likes him (so do I lol) .. he also like Walker, so .. compromise .. though as said, why bring Chilwell and Shaw along ? .. perhaps this is a horses for courses approach .. we will see
  • Options
    It's coming home is such a brilliant football anthem. Get goosebumps whenever it's played during a tournament. Imagine it'll be back in the charts soon
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Putting this in Charlton terms makes that Trippier choice so wrong.

Chris Solly was a fantastic RB for us. I think the 3 worst games I’ve ever seen him have were at LB. I remember he even got sent off he’d lost his head that much!

Im afraid the same will happen with Trippier. Quality RB, unproven LB being thrown in the deep end.
    problem is that Trippier is a very reliable player and Southgate likes him (so do I lol) .. he also like Walker, so .. compromise .. though as said, why bring Chilwell and Shaw along ? .. perhaps this is a horses for courses approach .. we will see
    Got no problem with Trippier starting. Offers a lot and has been good for England. 

I just can’t see how he’s a better option than the LB who just won the Champions League and was a regular starter.

Maybe it’s genius, maybe it’s idiocy. I just think it’s a risk we didn’t need to take now and maybe something we should’ve tried leading up to the tournament.
  • Options
    Unless both Shaw and Chilwell have knocks, playing Trippier at LB is a crazy decision.

Sterling gets in because he is experienced and we hope he finds his form instead of Sancho who was in good form but doesn't make the 23.

Unlike every single CL member so many of this young squad don't have baggage.

Let's hope they don't accumulate any in the next 3 matches.

• Options
    Count the number of times Trippier cuts back onto his right foot to cross / pass the ball and the attack breaking down. 

A left back needs to be able to run with the ball on the outside (ie, on his left foot not his right) & then cross on the run. It should be on page 1 of a coaching manual. 
  • Options
    Southgate used to play as a full back? surely he knows playing a full back on the opposite side to where he is most natural is not a good idea. 
    He might realise this in a couple of hours....
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Also I'm in Thorpe park today, hoping everyone stops to watch the footy and I can get to the front for Colossus and Swarm
    Well you know what they say, life is a rollercoaster just got to ride it.
  • Options
    Count the number of times Trippier cuts back onto his right foot to cross / pass the ball and the attack breaking down. 

A left back needs to be able to run with the ball on the outside (ie, on his left foot not his right) & then cross on the run. It should be on page 1 of a coaching manual. 
    tbf Italy had all their players on the wrong side. Reason why they struggled to ever cross the ball. It did work for them against a side that looked exhausted after 20 minutes. 
  • Options

Just said the same thing, it'll be so easy to defend every overlapping run be makes.
  • Options
    That lineup is inviting trouble I hope Croatia are past it as some have alluded.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Modric looks like Catweazle.
  • Options
    Southgate must be the only person in the country not to have Grealish in his starting 11 . Stones and Minģs will have to be on their game against a decent Croatian forward line . Won't be a stroll in the park
  • Options
    We have some wonderful players at our disposal this tournament, but it's pretty useless if we don't play them
  • Options
    Did Rio just say faultless or thoughtless?
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    If he is talking about himself then it's the latter. 
  • Options
    Phillips and Rice - too defensive especially with the two fullbacks named.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    wish he'd stayed with BT
  • Options
    Don't understand Phillips inclusion. Not impressed whenever I've seen him. 
  • Options
    There’s still a lot of talent in this lineup.

One of the first times we’ve seen Mount and Foden together which should be fun. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agreed, always underwhelmed by Phillips
  • Options
    If you play two holding midfielders in Rice and Phillips then play two attacking full backs in Walker and Shaw to supplement Mount and Foden.
    The 19 year old LB of Croatia needs to be attacked down the flanks. I would imagine Croatia feels the same about the out of position Trippier. Kane and Sterling need to be fed.
  • Options
    Settling down to watch this and to enjoy the match thread on here. Full of hope and expectation, plus nerves as well. Come on England!
  • Options
    Southgate is so defensive, it's embarrassing.

The most exciting set of attacking talent that we've had for years and he decides to channel his inner Lee Bowyer!

• Options
    I am less negative about two holding midfielders than some but I would like a left back and Grealish. 
  • Options
    England have not won an opening group game at the Euros ever. Croatia have won 80% of their opening group games.

Today would be a good day to reverse those stats
  • Options
    how many subs are allowed
  • Options
    how many subs are allowed
    Five
  • Options
    I feel sick already