Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Croatia - Match thread

For the England games we’ll run a dedicated thread on matchdayss.

So here it is!

Comments

• Interesting group. A win would set us up very nicely today, but I imagine Croatia will feel the same. Gonna be tough.
  • Very thorough preview.

Think Southgate will go with Kane, Foden and one of Rashford/Sterling. 

With the likes of Grealish, Sancho, Bellingham, Calvert-Lewin etc. to come off the bench, we’ve got plenty of attacking options.

We will be without two first choice centre backs and the back 4/5 concerns me.

1-1 but hope I’m wrong.

Can see the group overall going the same way for us as the Euro 96 group.
  • Come on England. Tournament doesn’t really begin until England’s first game. 
  • Why aren't we winning yet?
    Southgate out.  :D
  • edited June 2021
    Hoping for three at the back. Reece James, Phillips, Grealish and Foden all have to start in my opinion but won’t happen. It’ll be a close game. 
  • Very excited for later, were up, bacon sarnies at the ready and looking forward to seeing England kick off their campaign.

Its a very tough opener and a win would really take the pressure off of Friday. I would love us to be able to play that game with some freedom, to play the fixture not the group.

Playing Scotland or Germany are the fixtures for me and best during the knockout stage so England can fully focus on the 90 minutes as opposed to the week ahead. 

For today, I suspect Gareth to play safe with the old guard of Kane/Sterling, personally I am excited to see Grealish, Foden, Bellingham, Sancho and Bukayo Saka at some stage, they could really shine this tournament, especially as we get the deeper into the knockout rounds.

Come on England!       
  • Hoping for three at the back. Reece James, Phillips, Grealish and Foden all have to start in my opinion but won’t happen. It’ll be a close game. 
    Agree other than 3 at the back and Phillips!
  • This might come back to bite me but here goes. 

Everyone seems convinced this is the hardest game in the group and it should be us and Croatia top 2.
    I don’t think it is.
    I’m confident we can win reasonably comfortably today.
    I think Czech Republic will finish 2nd to us in the group too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Gut feel says this will be a draw. 

Looking forward to heading down to the Anglesey Arms in Woolwich, which I’ve always enjoyed for the big England games.
  • I expect a closely fought 1 1 draw today.
    Not too concerned as we will smash Jimmy Krankie and her Tartan Tosspots  next game and send them back to the land of the deep fried Mars bars. 
  • 2-1 England. Come on boys.
  • Would love to see Grealish, Mount and Foden start around Kane. They’ve got the ability to unlock any defence, then bring on some pace in the second half to really stretch the opposition, especially when it’s going to be 28 degrees! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿⚽️💥
  • Really need the 3 points today , Scotland will be on top form for us on Friday (as top form as the sweaties get) & I can’t bear the thought of finishing below them , coming out the group 2nd might be best but only as long as Scotland r not top!

• edited June 2021
    Macronate said:
    Very thorough preview.

With the likes of Grealish, Sancho, Bellingham, Calvert-Lewin etc. to come off the bench, we’ve got plenty of attacking options.

1-1 but hope I’m wrong.

There's been a lot of talk about Grealish not starting but I would.
     He draws yellow cards from the opposition for fun. If he makes them arrive early on it could leave crucial parts of the Croatian midfield/ defence skating on thin ice for a huge part of the game.
  • I’m not a student of international football, so can someone tell me why Croatia are 7-1. Have they gone downhill so much lately?
  • England have never won an opener at the Euros and Croatia are no walk over. Any sort of win would be good.
  • I'm expecting us to win due to the fact we lost to them when it actually really mattered. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Macronate said:
    Very thorough preview.

1-1 but hope I’m wrong.

That's my guess too.
  • I'm just pleased that Mandzukic retired from international football otherwise it would of ended up with the whole "are you planning on getting anyone to mark him Gareth?!"
  • I just fear it is gonna be a pedestrian performance in the sun, with us being way too defensive and unable to break them down. 

0-0 
  • edited June 2021
    Despite my Scottish heritage, I hope England win. Scotland may surprise a few but getting out of the group will be a crowning achievement. England have every chance of going a long way so I hope they get off to a good start and we see the right choices in terms of players. I’m in a fortunate position of being Scottish but having spent my entire adult life in England I can genuinely support both sides. Except on Friday when you my dear friends on here will for a couple of hours at least be a bunch of English fannies. But for this afternoon at least I’m an honorary Sassenach. 
  • edited June 2021
    We certainly dont have an amazing record in the opening game of a tournament

Even in '66 we only managed a 0-0 draw with Uruguay so if we dont win today its not the end of the world.

• Uboat said:
    I’m not a student of international football, so can someone tell me why Croatia are 7-1. Have they gone downhill so much lately?
    That’s worth a punt 
  • edited June 2021
    I’m seeing reports of Trippier LB?!?

Rice and Phillips also…

If that’s the case I feel fucking sick.
  • Laddick01 said:
    I’m seeing reports of Trippier LB?!?

Rice and Phillips also…

If that’s the case I feel fucking sick.
    And sterling over grealish....