Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Croatia - Match thread

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2021
    It doesn't refer to any sources, The Athletic have worked that team out based on their own logic. We'll see.

• Options
    As others have said, you have 2 top quality left backs so why pick a right back to play there?

Phillips not sure about, seems a bit too negative. I would rather play Bellingham who can get forward more.
    3 great left backs. 

Shaw, Chilwell and Saka are all very good at the position. 
  • Options
    one player i have little idea about is Saka. Is he any good? cos when i saw him included in the squad i was a bit bemused. Is he another Walcott or will he actually play? 
  • Options
    I'm disgusted with the line up, it's obvious Southgate is clueless, wibble wibble.
    Wait, someone's telling me the team hasn't been announced yet.
  • Options
    one player i have little idea about is Saka. Is he any good? cos when i saw him included in the squad i was a bit bemused. Is he another Walcott or will he actually play? 
    He's certainly not a Walcott, he's good enough to play a part. Whether he will or not is another matter entirely.
  • Options
    Won Arsenal’s player of the year. Winger who can play left back. Excellent prospect.
  • Options
    Can play LB, RW, LW. Very good in all positions. 

Best player in a bad Arsenal team and haven't seen him play a bad game. 

Won Arsenal's player of the season with 51% of all votes cast for him. 
  • Options
    well, shows how little premiership games i've seen. lot of praise for young Saka. look forward to seeing him now.  
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Good team to start, 5 off the bench with another starting 11 worth on the bench. Grealish off the bench with 20 minutes against an ageing Croatia, perfect
    I would personally go the other way. I’d try and put Croatia to the sword and make a statement from the off. Would be nice to get a couple of goals up and then be able to take the likes of Grealish off. We have such a string squad …..6 points from the first 2 games, early qualification and then be able to rest players for round of 16. 
  • Options
    Southgate banged on for ages about not playing Trent because of "form" yet picks Sterling over Grealish/Sancho... also we have two left backs who have had great seasons but plays a right back there instead..
    I quite like Southgate, but I’ve never known a manger contradict himself as much as he does. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    well, shows how little premiership games i've seen. lot of praise for young Saka. look forward to seeing him now.  
    0 at a guess as it hasn’t been the premiership for years 😂
  • Options
    Pickford; Walker, Stones, Mings, Trippier; Rice, Phillips; Sterling, Mount, Foden; Kane

• Options
    Hmm...a right back at left back, 2 defensive midfielders and a seriously out of form Stirling. Fingers crossed it goes well or Southgate is going to get slaughtered in the morning. 
  • Options
    Sounds a bit Charlton to me
  • Options
    Watching football in a pub with mates for the first time in over a year. Can't wait
  • Options
    I can see both sides not wanting to lose too much. I guess I’d settle for 0-0 if that’s the outcome. We ought be able to win at least one of our next two games to qualify. I’m not sure what result I’d prefer in the Scotland v Czech Republic game tomorrow.
  • Options
    Wouldnt be what I'd choose... Lets wait and see the score first.

Been a long season, as Lee Dixon said last night, these players have been playing pretty much non-stop for 13-months

You'd hope that Eriksen's incident wasnt as a result of that but cant be ruled out

In which case there is a lot of Football (we hope) to be played, everyone I'm sure will get a chance

Certainly dont expect to see the same eleven used throughout the whole tournament, let alone the Group Stages

Utilise everyone as best as possible, so if we're forced to call on a player in a position come the Semis, they're not lacking match fitness
  • Options
    I can’t believe that line up was real haha.

I just want to understand why. I have so many questions.
  • Options
    As someone said a short while ago... At least we're getting one of Foden or Grealish!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No sancho in the squad
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Chilwell, Maguire and Sancho not even in the squad. Injury concerns already on top of Henderson + Saka?
  • Options
    No sancho in the squad
    Didnt overly impress against Romania though did he?
  • Options
    Really looking forward to the game but don’t like that starting 11.
  • Options
    No sancho in the squad
    No but would have thought he'd be on the bench. Is there a limit to how many players can be on the bench at this tournament? Thought you could just have the rest of the squad on there? 
  • Options
    No sancho in the squad
    No but would have thought he'd be on the bench. Is there a limit to how many players can be on the bench at this tournament? Thought you could just have the rest of the squad on there? 
    Yeah I thought the same, especially as other teams have had both Goalkeepers on the bench as well, obviously not
  • Options
    No sancho in the squad
    Not overly impressing recently hasn't stopped Sterling starting.
  • Options
    Trippier at left back is bizarre.

Almost feels like he's trying to prove a point after the criticism of all the right-backs.  See, told you he could play left back!
  • Options
    No sancho in the squad
    Yeah I thought the same, especially as other teams have had both Goalkeepers on the bench as well, obviously not
    So 3 players not even on the bench, maguire, sancho and Chilwell