Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Croatia - Match thread

1121314151618»

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Kane was targeted by the Croatian defence yesterday, which tends to happen to world class strikers, and we used that to bring Foden and Sterling in behind the backline wherever we could. He might not have been hugely influential on the ball but as long as they were tied up trying to nullify Kane space was created for others, and that's what we exploited. Kane is an intelligent player and that's a tactic we will be using a lot this tournament. He's a world class striker, one of the very best in the world, and recipient of the Golden Boot at the most recent World Cup. And there's talk of dropping him one game into a tournament where he did his job, he just didn't score. I wonder if this happens so much in other countries' media/commentariat. Does there always have to be someone publicly targeted for criticism?
    Agree....Kane's a smart player and will drop deep pulling defenders with him and create space behind him for the likes of Stirling. The one thing I would say is if we play a better team and need to hit them on the break then Rashford might be a better option
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Kane was targeted by the Croatian defence yesterday, which tends to happen to world class strikers, and we used that to bring Foden and Sterling in behind the backline wherever we could. He might not have been hugely influential on the ball but as long as they were tied up trying to nullify Kane space was created for others, and that's what we exploited. Kane is an intelligent player and that's a tactic we will be using a lot this tournament. He's a world class striker, one of the very best in the world, and recipient of the Golden Boot at the most recent World Cup. And there's talk of dropping him one game into a tournament where he did his job, he just didn't score. I wonder if this happens so much in other countries' media/commentariat. Does there always have to be someone publicly targeted for criticism?
    Agree....Kane's a smart player and will drop deep pulling defenders with him and create space behind him for the likes of Stirling. The one thing I would say is if we play a better team and need to hit them on the break then Rashford might be a better option
    We have a fantastic variety in our wide attacking players. We've got pace and the ability to beat a player in Sterling, an excellent counter-attacker in Rashford, a tricky creative dynamo in Grealish and in Foden a player who has a bit of all of those talents. We can play so many different ways and Kane will be canny enough to work with all of them to bring out their best I reckon
  • Options

The main thing to remember with the conservative team selection, and cautionary approach against the Croatians, is that so many times in the past England have been hamstrung in major tournaments, by losing their first game, and then playing ‘catch up’ from that point onwards (WC 1986, EURO 1988, Euro 2000, Euro 2004, WC 2014). Having now avoided that fate for once, the team is in a much better position to be more offensive against the Scots, who of course having lost their first game are going to have to try and win the game at Wembley.

I strongly suspect that you will see a change of personnel for the Scotland game, with Chilwell and Grealish both coming into the team, and possibly Rashford coming in for Sterling as well. Possibility of James coming in for Walker as well, as Southgate will know that after effectively playing a 13 month season, he will need to manage this whole group so that they are at their freshest for the later stages of the tournament.

You could even make a case for playing DCL in front of Harry Kane, as his aerial power would be a massive weapon against the Scots, who showed against the Czechs that the middle of their defence is a huge weakness – particularly in the air, as Schitck scored comfortably with a header by getting in between both centre backs.

• Options
    How long before we see City/United/Liverpool/Chelsea linked with 'huge summer bids' for Phillips?
  • Options
    I thought the balance of the team and the setup in that 433 was excellent tbh. 

Rice was perfect as the pivot and it didn't ask anything of him that he doesn't do regularly at West Ham. Sometimes England expect him to create too which isn't his strength. Mount on one side with enough freedom to impact in the attacking 3rd and Phillips with that perfect game liking it all on the other side. He dropped in when needed but also made the right runs. Excellent. 

The front 3 worked well and had all different strengths. I get the arguments about Grealish (I'm a huge fan and want him in the side) and Sancho but I see it differently to most. I don't want to try and force them all into the side at once. I'm just glad that for once we have great depth and genuine competition for places (except for CB and in goal). Its gonna be even more important this tournament what with the weird season and pretty much constant football for over a year since the restart. Players are gonna tire and we will need to rotate. I'm glad we have the options.

I get why Southgate did the fullbacks that way for that game it was to be solid defensively and both players did that. But Trippier on the left isn't gonna offer much going forward and Walker had a bit of a shocker on the ball. I'd hope it was horses for courses and we get Chilwell on the left and Tripper (edges it for me on his set piece ability) on the right for big games. 

Overall pretty happy 
  • Options
    It is an advantage that England could put two decent teams out. It would be wise to integrate as many players as possible into the competition in the group stages, so three or four changes for Scotland and then hopefully after winning that, another three or four for the final game.
  • Options

For being MOTM, he won a milk carton
    On the back there’s a “MISSING” headline with modric’s picture on it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is an advantage that England could put two decent teams out. It would be wise to integrate as many players as possible into the competition in the group stages, so three or four changes for Scotland and then hopefully after winning that, another three or four for the final game.
    Yeah I think grealish will get a start on Friday, as Scotland will likely sit back and hit us on the counter. We’d need some wizardry to break through their lines. Wouldn’t be surprised to see shaw in as well as maybe Henderson given a run out for some game time.
  • Options
    Yes, I could see the full backs changed and Grealish. Maybe Kane will be on the bench as a precaution after hurting his ribs.