Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    This is why I'd advise caution for now. Admittedly, Arter has shown he can do it at a much higher level - but were Sunderland fans wrong about Dobson?
    Yes, they were.
    We haven’t given him someone to pass to in midfield who can then make plays. Dobson sits in front of the back four well and collects the ball to pass it on. Since the Wednesday game, we’ve simply reverted to our back four lumping it up to Stockley
    If that was the sum total of Dobson's job, you or I could do it. He's been torrid and has had to be substituted almost every game
    Totally disagree. He was mom against sheff w.  He played well against Wigan and soon as he was substituted, our midfield collapsed. He was substituted because we changed tactics and formation, not because of performance 

You weren't at Milton Keynes then!
    No. You said he has been poor all season. Milton Keynes was one game.
  • Options
    This is literally Ben Watson 2.0. 

His legs have gone 
    JJ was great for years after his legs were apparently gone 🙂
    He wasn't though, was he? We ceded the midfield every time he played from about 2014-15 onwards. A great leader and thinker but his legs had absolutely gone
  • Options
    Firstly.      WIOTOS.....so lets temper our excitement a bit shall we.

Secondly. Doesn't really fit in with our "lowering the age of the squad" mantra.

Thirdly. Smacks of desperation & not a position we really need filling - unless he is going to play left back. 

But is an ex player & everyone wets their pants wanting to sign those so lets crack on with the " now we are going to storm the league".

We make one signing over 30 (the others being 23, 28, 27, 24, 23, 23, 22 and 26 respectively) and you decide to throw that out. It's almost like you've been rehearsing it and waiting for your moment.

And you wonder why you get a lot of stick on here. 
    It does fit the mantra of needing some experienced players to help us out, which both Gallen and Adkins have repeated in the last monyh or so.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Albie goes out on loan. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    This is why I'd advise caution for now. Admittedly, Arter has shown he can do it at a much higher level - but were Sunderland fans wrong about Dobson?
    Yes, they were.
    We haven’t given him someone to pass to in midfield who can then make plays. Dobson sits in front of the back four well and collects the ball to pass it on. Since the Wednesday game, we’ve simply reverted to our back four lumping it up to Stockley
    If that was the sum total of Dobson's job, you or I could do it. He's been torrid and has had to be substituted almost every game
    Totally disagree. He was mom against sheff w.  He played well against Wigan and soon as he was substituted, our midfield collapsed. He was substituted because we changed tactics and formation, not because of performance 

You weren't at Milton Keynes then!
    No. You said he has been poor all season. Milton Keynes was one game.
    His Statbank marks, albeit in three defeats, over the last three league games have gone 5.80, 4.69, 5.21. He is not playing well.
  • Options
    Also Arter might not be enjoying his time in Nottingham and wants to be back in London. Home life can make a big contribution to performances. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Really don’t get some of our fans issue with Dobson, okay, he isn’t Cullen, but he has broke up play well, reads the game pretty well, and keeps the ball ticking over, he gets stuck in and puts his body on the line. For a defensive midfielder, he has done an ok job. For me he has been our best midfielder this season.

This is some tallest-dwarf shit right here (and it's been Clare, narrowly, imo)
  • Options

Secondly. Doesn't really fit in with our "lowering the age of the squad" mantra.

Thirdly. Smacks of desperation & not a position we really need filling - unless he is going to play left back. 

But is an ex player & everyone wets their pants wanting to sign those so lets crack on with the " now we are going to storm the league".

There's still a need to bring in experienced players even when trying to reduce the average age of the squad.

You'd be quite stupid really to say nobody age 29+ may sign just because of age and when they can improve the team.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Really don’t get some of our fans issue with Dobson, okay, he isn’t Cullen, but he has broke up play well, reads the game pretty well, and keeps the ball ticking over, he gets stuck in and puts his body on the line. For a defensive midfielder, he has done an ok job. For me he has been our best midfielder this season.

Are you for real?? Blimey. Apart from the 2nd half against Wednesday, he has been the worst player on the pitch.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Leuth said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Are you for real?? Blimey. Apart from the 2nd half against Wednesday, he has been the worst player on the pitch.

None of them have been great. Clare has had his moments. Maybe our perspectives are different because we're basing it off different games though; I've watched SW and MK.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Yes, they were.

Yeah but he's had Clare and Morgan as his main midfield partners. Even Levitt would struggle to shine alongside those two.

😉
  • Options
    Ben18 said:
    This is classic Leuth. If everyone was ganging up on Dobson, he’d be claiming he was the second coming of Pirlo
    Well I'm usually keen to defend any player getting unfair stick. If I'm handing out the stick, that's when you have to worry. Maybe Dobson can come good but at the moment he's like a random outcome generator every time he goes near the play
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Leuth said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

None of them have been great. Clare has had his moments. Maybe our perspectives are different because we're basing it off different games though; I've watched SW and MK.
    Clare has been awful, just runs around not doing a lot really.. 

once everyone fit, he won’t be in the side, and Dobson will be, that tells you what you need to know
  • Options
    Arter is a quality signing if true. If it means Dobson doesn’t play then i’m all for it, who to be fair is better than Clare but has to be the most average league one footballer i’ve ever seen.   
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Arter was playing regular Premier League football 2 years ago, so a club in the league one relegation zone should be able to benefit from his experience.
    Two problems are his persistent achilles issues and his disciplinary record both meaning he probably won't be a regular in the side.
  • Options
    A midfield isn’t one player. It’s a unit just like a back four is a unit. Both of are only as good as it’s weakest part. There has to be balance and familiarity to work effectively. A midfield of Arter, Lee and Gilbey to me at least looks to have balance going forwards and backwards. Still need another striker and left wing back in my opinion and cover for Inniss would be good but assuming Arter comes in, I’m much more confident that we can claw a top six. Such a pity we’re already playing catch up.
  • Options
    Walching’s brilliant 
     Never did agree with Picasso on that one.
    🟥🟥: balls to Picasso 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great yet another player written off by the experts before he’s even kicked a ball playing for Charlton. Think I might watch him play before making a comment.
    To be fair, surely that type of comment can also be levelled at the people who think he'll be brilliant for us? As they haven't seen him play for Charlton in 2021 either

It would be a pretty boring and empty message board if nobody was allowed to make negative or positive statements about any signings
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

We make one signing over 30 (the others being 23, 28, 27, 24, 23, 23, 22 and 26 respectively) and you decide to throw that out. It's almost like you've been rehearsing it and waiting for your moment.

And you wonder why you get a lot of stick on here. 
    It does fit the mantra of needing some experienced players to help us out, which both Gallen and Adkins have repeated in the last monyh or so.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Albie goes out on loan. 
    Good point, people seem to have overlooked that statement.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    This is all reminding me of the Ben Watson hype with added one-of-our-own. Let's see what's left of his engine shall we? A playing career can take it out of you somewhat
    If he's less mobile than Watson I'll get a ..........
  • Options
    Slightly concerned by how quickly he fell out of favour at Forest, but potentially should be a good player for us

We do need to have an excessive number of midfielders now, considering that if we play 433 Lee is one of them, when you consider the gaps in the squad elsewhere

Lee, Gilbey, Morgan, Arter, Clare, Dobson, Watson plus the likes of Dempsey (who is over 21), Vennings, Henry...
  • Options

Dangerous as I haven’t caught up in this thread but take it from me, arter is signing 
  • Options
    Great yet another player written off by the experts before he’s even kicked a ball playing for Charlton. Think I might watch him play before making a comment.
    To be fair, surely that type of comment can also be levelled at the people who think he'll be brilliant for us? As they haven't seen him play for Charlton in 2021 either

It would be a pretty boring and empty message board if nobody was allowed to make negative or positive statements about any signings
    Totally agree, so why not wait until you seen the player before commenting after all I obviously mistakenly thought this was the rumour thread, not how shit or good (delete as appropriate). If you want to comment the surely you open a new thread and not clog up this thread. This thread should probably only be 2 pages long.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    This is all reminding me of the Ben Watson hype with added one-of-our-own. Let's see what's left of his engine shall we? A playing career can take it out of you somewhat
    If he's less mobile than Watson I'll get a ..........
    I’d suggest the titanic was more mobile than Watson.😜
  • Options
    Arter hasn't played since February.... 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!