Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    I did I didn’t realise that arter was 31. That’s relatively young in terms of Charlton midfielders
  • Options
    Arter certainly has all the signs of being a very good signing

Just being a little bit cautious for the time being that he's not going to be another Ben Watson and his best days are behind him - Unfortunately it gets to a point for all where players just cant perform to the level expected.
    Well he was a PL regular in 16-17 and again in 18-19 and now he's 31 and coming to league one, so i'd say it's pretty obvious his best days are behind him.

But he should be more than capable of pulling the strings in this division, he's not past it. Unfair to compare him to Watson who is 36. I think he'll be a decent signing*

*i also thought this when Gunter signed.
  • Options
    Arter certainly has all the signs of being a very good signing

Just being a little bit cautious for the time being that he's not going to be another Ben Watson and his best days are behind him - Unfortunately it gets to a point for all where players just cant perform to the level expected.
    Any new player carries that risk. Arter is 31 not 36. At his age you would expect that major injury aside, he should be still 99% effective. Footballers these days are fitter and better prepared than ever before. A 31 year old who still has the mental drive should be still near his peak.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    This is why I'd advise caution for now. Admittedly, Arter has shown he can do it at a much higher level - but were Sunderland fans wrong about Dobson?
    Yes, they were.
    We haven’t given him someone to pass to in midfield who can then make plays. Dobson sits in front of the back four well and collects the ball to pass it on. Since the Wednesday game, we’ve simply reverted to our back four lumping it up to Stockley
    If that was the sum total of Dobson's job, you or I could do it. He's been torrid and has had to be substituted almost every game
  • Options
    Good signing for this level, experienced, good on ball, can play a pass. Midfield looking a lot better already
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    This is why I'd advise caution for now. Admittedly, Arter has shown he can do it at a much higher level - but were Sunderland fans wrong about Dobson?
    Yes, they were.
    We haven’t given him someone to pass to in midfield who can then make plays. Dobson sits in front of the back four well and collects the ball to pass it on. Since the Wednesday game, we’ve simply reverted to our back four lumping it up to Stockley
    If that was the sum total of Dobson's job, you or I could do it. He's been torrid and has had to be substituted almost every game
    Totally disagree. He was mom against sheff w.  He played well against Wigan and soon as he was substituted, our midfield collapsed. He was substituted because we changed tactics and formation, not because of performance 

You weren't at Milton Keynes then!
  • Options
    Football is cock full of players that for myriad reasons struggle at one club and thrive at another. It is the job of the Gallens of this world to identify those young players who for whatever reason don’t make the expected progress from their early potential and decide whether or not there is a bargain to be had. Sometimes it will pay off and other times it won’t. I certainly haven’t written off either Dobson or Clare. I very much doubt either we’re brought in to be immediate first team starters but as squad players with potential. I don’t think either were or are ready to carry the midfield or weight of expectation at Charlton. In a years time who knows. 
    Edited you post for accuracy 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Yes, they were.
    Totally disagree. He was mom against sheff w.  He played well against Wigan and soon as he was substituted, our midfield collapsed. He was substituted because we changed tactics and formation, not because of performance 

You weren't at Milton Keynes then!
    Even if true that makes it more good games than bad and certainly not "torrid." He's never going to be a dynamic playmaker type but we don't need him to be.
  • Options
    Football is cock full of players that for myriad reasons struggle at one club and thrive at another. It is the job of the Gallens of this world to identify those young players who for whatever reason don’t make the expected progress from their early potential and decide whether or not there is a bargain to be had. Sometimes it will pay off and other times it won’t. I certainly haven’t written off either Dobson or Clare. I very much doubt either we’re brought in to be immediate first team starters but as squad players with potential. I don’t think either were or are ready to carry the midfield or weight of expectation at Charlton. In a years time who knows. 
    Edited you post for accuracy 
    Didn't change it to 'Carlton', deducted marks
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    I’ll be the voice of caution here…

flopped at his last three clubs (Cardiff, Fulham, Forrest) Now considered an injury prone and Forrest fans are delighted to get rid (and they are shite)

He’s 31 does he still have the hunger after earning Prem money? and means we now likely won’t be in for Dempsey or Lowery now.

Not exactly one for the future. I predict this doesn’t end well. Would much rather one of the above personally - young & hungry and a permanent.
    He didn’t flop at Cardiff. Was their best player in their Premier League season.
  • Options
    This is literally Ben Watson 2.0. 

His legs have gone 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Firstly.      WIOTOS.....so lets temper our excitement a bit shall we.

Secondly. Doesn't really fit in with our "lowering the age of the squad" mantra.

Thirdly. Smacks of desperation & not a position we really need filling - unless he is going to play left back. 

But is an ex player & everyone wets their pants wanting to sign those so lets crack on with the " now we are going to storm the league".

We’ll have to agree to disagree on it being a position that doesn’t need filling. 

But I agree on the caution of this one. He hasn’t done well in the last couple of seasons but he has always been a player who needs the right man management. Eddie Howe found it brilliantly with him and I am sure NA can do the same.

If his legs are gone then we haven’t lost too much with this risk and he goes back in January, if he just needs to find the right environment then it could really pay off.

One thing I would say is that Forest fans would drive Taylor to another club too and we know how good he can be.
  • Options
    Bollochs
    Reminds me of the ventriloquist who was doing an audition at a theatre with his dummy.
    Half way through the theatre manager stopped him and said.
    ”Stop and fuck off out of here and take your stupid dummy with you, you are the worst I’ve ever seen.”
    With that he starts to walk off stage but turns the dummies head towards the manager and replies.
    ”Gollocks.”
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    This is all reminding me of the Ben Watson hype with added one-of-our-own. Let's see what's left of his engine shall we? A playing career can take it out of you somewhat
    This is my concern also.  Arter hasn't made the bench even in any of Forest games this season.  Don't know if he has been injured.  A good player without doubt during a good career but a wait and see for me.

I thought we were supposed to be bringing the age of the team down.   
  • Options
    This is literally Ben Watson 2.0. 

His legs have gone 
    JJ was great for years after his legs were apparently gone 🙂
  • Options
    Doubt he’s still the player that he once was, but I doubt that the player he is is worse than the rubbish we have in the middle of the pitch at the moment though.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Richard J said:
    @Dazzler21. Can I get a positive place on the list? Despite a few people dismissing it. I called this.

As a player he is just what we need and as a left footer it means that we will have an alternative set piece taker.

Why couldn't Arter and Lee signed earlier? Really buzzing about these two signings
    Probably their own clubs seeing who came in and who would be surplus to requirements rather than anything our end.

To be fair, Gallen/Adkins/etc have been maintaining all window things would improve towards the death. They just might know what they were talking about after all.
    Hardly difficult considering  the low point we had been manoeuvred us into, squad wise.  However it is loans . Prefer permanent.

I'm sure they would prefer permanent too, but Famewo has an option to buy and I imagine it would be fairly simple to make Lee's move permanent too if he's a big hit
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!