Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• £200k is a bit of a pisstake bid really, we'll end up much nearer £400k, especially as I imagine we won't be the only club interested in him
  • edited August 2021
    MrBurns said:
    I think they will accepted 350-400k for Dempey by Friday 
    Do you know something we all don't, sounds like you just want us to cave in, I mean why not go the whole hog and bung 'em 500k, he is clearly not worth to us what they are after, I mean 500k/750K ffs, get real
  • Forest were said to be interested in Dempsey earlier in the window and said to have been quoted £750k
    Also rumours that Evans is threatening to leave as deeply unchuffed. Obviously won’t unless offered another job, but does suggest that all is not well in their camp.
  • thenewbie said:
    Maybe you BOTH need to chill a little? This is making me miss the argument thread, this would've been prime material.

As to the Dempsey rumour that is one I can see happening, they've quoted us a price, we've made a counter offer and now Gallen's got to do the haggling to get to a middle ground.
    But the player also has to agree to join us. Why would someone want to join a club that is below them in the league & could also be fighting relegation. I imagine we'd have to pay him more in wages as he now has the upper hand......something that wouldn't have been the case a month ago.

But apparently I'm just a worrier that we didnt get players in before the season started & that by next tuesday we'll be falling over ourselves with players desperately wanting to join us as there won't be another gig in town. 
    Dear god do you find the negatives in everything? We are 4 games, just 4 games into the season! What on earth were you saying in 19/20 when we won just 1 game in our first 6 and you know how that season finished!
    Dempsey is not stupid he knows that in the end we have a better chance of going up than the Gills, unless of course he is as negative as you!

• The art of negotiation. You value subject x at 500k, so you offer 750k to be safe. 

You offer 200-250k as a start and come back to negotiate. 

The fact its out there that we offered 200k means they are applying pressure for a higher bid.
  • edited August 2021
    We can put a cheeky low offer in all we want, the situation we've put ourselves into is who's more desperate, Gillingham for cash or us for half decent players. This was the risk off thinking we can find major bargains at the end of the window, we might but we might not. 

We've made the remainder of the window a mini January, clubs and agents will see our league position, read the quotes from Adkins about needing help, there's going to be a lot of who blinks first. Can the club's needing money hold off until January more so than us...?

Wave a million in front of them and take Dempsey and Tucker 😬
  • When we needed a winger in Jan we basically went 'deadline day fishing' and threw our bate (offer) out to multiple clubs to see if we got any bites. The outcome on that occasion was:

Josh Morris - unsuccessful
    Charlie Kirk - unsuccessful (in Jan)
    Jordan Graham - unsuccessful
    DJ - successful

I expect it will be a similar approach this year. If Gillingham (who need the cash) or Crewe (who have a player that has refused to play) dont accept or negotiate close to our offer then we'll simply move on to the next target until we find a club that does (exactly like we did with Gillingham in Jan when discussing a deal for Graham....who ended up leaving them on a free later in the summer).

I think we could do with both Dempsey & Lowery so hopefully the pressure of the looming deadline & need for their clubs to sell results in deals being agreed.

• cabbles said:
    Out of interest, does anyone know if the budget available to Adkins is more or less than what Bowyer had the season we went up?
     I heard that the budget isn't great because TS was surprised by how much it was costing more than he believed. Someone has said that some investment didn’t occur. Bit like Cash when he decides to pull out but different reasons.
    I don’t believe this to be a million miles away. I reckon that a few things have come to light caused by previous owners since the purchase that has increased the debt and has made Tommy reduce the budget.

Hopefully after the window is shut the reasons behind the weird window will be revealed.
  • We managed without an experienced back up keeper last season. I think we have 2 young keepers who can cover. I think we need a bulldozer striker as an alternative to Stockley. Hoofing the ball to him surrounded by defenders isn’t working. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Would the gillingham chairman sell to us? I know beggars can’t be choosers but their chairman hates us. I reckon he would hold out for a £50k lower offer rather than sell to us 
  • MrBurns said:
    I think they will accepted 350-400k for Dempey by Friday 
    Do you know something we all don't, sounds like you just want us to cave in, I mean why not go the whole hog and bung 'em 500k, he is clearly not worth to us what they are after, I mean 500k/750K ffs, get real
    Only a fool offers the asking price at the start. Also it doesn't appear that we have much money at the moment so I'd sooner the club play it smart and test the waters instead of throwing money at anyone at the first stage. Us fans don't have the inside knowledge of the inner workings at Gillingham. Perhaps they need to recover money from selling Dempsey and we are aware of that fact or we might being using this to put pressure on Crewe selling the other midfielder we're in for. 
  • edited August 2021
  • supaclive said:
    thenewbie said:
    Usual suspects on Twitter complaining the clubs skint and TS has given us no budget because our opening offer for Dempsey was only £200k
    Well, they're not wrong in a way. What's wrong with bunging down £500k & say take it or leave it. No haggling, just do the deal. Its not like we can be choosy now is it.
    Because if you start with 500k they'll just ask for a million and you end up paying 750k (all figures approximate obviously).

It's football, there's no professional club in any league that will do a "take it or leave it" deal. It just doesn't work like that.
    In a pandemic?   With little or nobody else offering near your asking price?   I wouldn't bank on that - which is why we got Kirk for less than was being asked in January...
    Well with the money being thrown around by Wigan, Ipswich etc they might very well be gambling that if they hold out they might get someone who will pay it.

This is one case where those clubs doing more business than us might actually prove a good thing IF it means they are done and won't be gazumping us on deadline day.
  • Would the gillingham chairman sell to us? I know beggars can’t be choosers but their chairman hates us. I reckon he would hold out for a £50k lower offer rather than sell to us 
    From all accounts they are hard up for cash so beggars can't be choosers......
  • We can put a cheeky low offer in all we want, the situation we've put ourselves into is who's more desperate, Gillingham for cash or us for half decent players. This was the risk off thinking we can find major bargains at the end of the window, we might but we might not. 

We made the remainder of the window a mini January, clubs and agents will see our league position, read the quotes from Adkins about needing help, going to be a lot of who blinks first. Can the club's needing money hold off until January more so than us...

Wave a million in front of them and take Dempsey and Tucker 😬
    Yes, it's a very different situation if we had a decent squad already, were nicely in the top 6 and any additions were "nice to haves" rather than "we're desperate"
    He loves his Club more and is a business man at the end of the day.
  • _MrDick said:
    Scoham said:
    Boom 💥 No, wait, that’s not a signing.
    Poor fella ... All that way to watch the shower of S**t last Saturday. Anyone else think his mate looks like Andy Marshall
    The little geezer looks like a fat Mendonca.
    You look like jabba the hut 
  • I’d be very tempted to try and get Dempsey and Tucker and loan them the likes of Deji, Vennings or our Dempsey. Unlikely I know but I hope if we add that some of the U23’s get some time elsewhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• cfgs said:
    Redrobo said:
    Forest were said to be interested in Dempsey earlier in the window and said to have been quoted £750k
    Also rumours that Evans is threatening to leave as deeply unchuffed. Obviously won’t unless offered another job, but does suggest that all is not well in their camp.
    If Evans goes the lunch bill at their training ground will half.
    Half? Has he been on a diet?
    That pays for them to keep Dempsey
  • _MrDick said:
    Scoham said:
    Boom 💥 No, wait, that’s not a signing.
    Poor fella ... All that way to watch the shower of S**t last Saturday. Anyone else think his mate looks like Andy Marshall
    The little geezer looks like a fat Mendonca.
    You look like jabba the hut 
    Jabba the gut. 
  • £200k is a bit of a pisstake bid really, we'll end up much nearer £400k, especially as I imagine we won't be the only club interested in him
    It’s only an opening gambit. Be nice to take the piss out of another team - been done to us more times than I care to remember.
    We did it big time to Wolves to get us promoted when they needed a fire sale. Pity we didn't take Tim Flowers at the same time. 
  • Usual suspects on Twitter complaining the clubs skint and TS has given us no budget because our opening offer for Dempsey was only £200k
    Well, they're not wrong in a way. What's wrong with bunging down £500k & say take it or leave it. No haggling, just do the deal. Its not like we can be choosy now is it.
    So your telling us you would pay £500k for something you can purchase for less, if you are my 2001 reg Ford focus is up for sale it is a bargain and I only want £40k for it.
  • We won't be the only ones in for Dempsey or Lowery. Just hope while we're negotiating, someone doesn't just swoop in and meet the asking price . 
  • Croydon said:
    We won't be the only ones in for Dempsey or Lowery. Just hope while we're negotiating, someone doesn't just swoop in and meet the asking price . 
    No one has swooped in and met the asking price yet, and nor will they. 
    If one accepts the figures originally quoted, the price has dropped over £250k during this window. Down from £750k to £500k.
    The big spenders in this division have finished feeding in the trough. We are getting down to decision time now. Gillingham have released this information, and have no doubt done so to see if they can drum up another bidder. At £200k they may well spike some interest. That’s life.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!