Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    Oshilaja replaced 
    Pratley replaced 
    Shinnie didn't feature for Adkins
    Amos replaced 
    Aneke gone
    Watson still here 
    JFC still here 
    Matthews still here 
    Pearce still here 
    Famewo still here 
    Smith didn't play 
    Millar gone 
    Maatsen gone 
    Stockley signed on a perm 
    Maddison didn't play 
    Oztumer. Didn't play 

How about looking at it like this ? Nobody thinks we are ready for a full season but pretending we've lost 16 players is stupid... no matter how many people agree with you. 
    is it? Shinnie may not have played under Adkins, Smith either but they were squad players and if we had injuries or suspensions they may have done. It's why you have a squad.
    And we still need to sign players as per the rest of my post ... but saying we've lost 16 players is bollox. We are 4/5 players short

I agree, we are probably 5 players short.

But I'm not wrong in saying that 16 players that played for CAFC in 2020/21 "left" at the end of the season. One re-signed as he took up his option (Watson) & a couple of others took up our offer of re-engagement. 5 others we have signed.

I dont know what point you (or others) are trying to make. I simply said 16 players "left" in May. Some have rejoined but we are currently approx 6 short. Ipswich let more go but have signed more up. Oxford, on the other hand, hardly had any leave so didnt need to sign many. 

It's the last comment I make on this. I think we all agree that we are 4/5/6 bodies short of a full squad. I expect most will be taken up by loans......which we have been told (many times) usually happens on transfer deadline day or very close to it. I reckon Kirk was probably the only player left for us to sign that was going to be a perm. 
  • Don't know if this is recent or not, but Charlie Kirk's other half follows Charlton Twitter.
    She’s also liked a lot of Charlton fans’ tweets that are asking to respect their privacy and stating how weird the DM’s are.
    Some sad individuals out there if they are send her DM’s. 
    To be fair, I think it was just a few kids who did it on the first day he was linked. There hasn’t been any of that since the bad news broke 
  • what is a DM and is it eight or ten holes?
  • edited August 2021
  • edited August 2021
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    Oshilaja replaced 
    Pratley replaced 
    Amos replaced 
    Aneke gone
    Watson still here 
    JFC still here 
    Matthews still here 
    Pearce still here 
    Famewo still here 
    Smith didn't play 
    Millar gone 
    Maatsen gone 
    Maddison didn't play 
    Oztumer. Didn't play 

How about looking at it like this ? Nobody thinks we are ready for a full season but pretending we've lost 16 players is stupid... no matter how many people agree with you. 
    is it? Shinnie may not have played under Adkins, Smith either but they were squad players and if we had injuries or suspensions they may have done. It's why you have a squad.
    And we still need to sign players as per the rest of my post ... but saying we've lost 16 players is bollox. We are 4/5 players short

I agree, we are probably 5 players short.

But I'm not wrong in saying that 16 players that played for CAFC in 2020/21 "left" at the end of the season. One re-signed as he took up his option (Watson) & a couple of others took up our offer of re-engagement. 5 others we have signed.

I dont know what point you (or others) are trying to make. I simply said 16 players "left" in May. Some have rejoined but we are currently approx 6 short. Ipswich let more go but have signed more up. Oxford, on the other hand, hardly had any leave so didnt need to sign many. 

It's the last comment I make on this. I think we all agree that we are 4/5/6 bodies short of a full squad. I expect most will be taken up by loans......which we have been told (many times) usually happens on transfer deadline day or very close to it. I reckon Kirk was probably the only player left for us to sign that was going to be a perm. 
    I am not saying you are wrong but It's the type of situation that can be twisted to suit an argument. For example, Oztumer and Maddison were running down their contracts elsewhere during last season, weren't in our squad at that time and were never going to return, we all knew that. You could also argue that Pearson, Watson, JFC and Matthews never actually left. Yes they were out of contact but negotiations were always ongoing and I don't think any of them were linked with another club. And Maatsen and Miller never belonged to us in the first place. As everyone one has said though we are probably 5 short and that is all that matters.

• Transfer windows are always a toss up between getting players in as quickly as you can and getting the right players in. 

CAFC have clearly decided that getting the right players in is worth the wait and I make them right on that decision.

We leave ourselves light of options for the opening 3 weeks of the season, hwoever as others have said, our first 11 is strong and we would be unlucky to lose players to injury in the first few games.

Yes it is a gamble but I think it is one that will hopefully pay off. 

We could be sitting here with 10 new signings and a big squad, but if those signings are not of the required quality then we are in the shit really.
    and if we wait and can't get the right players in anyway then we are either in the shit or signing shit. Time will tell if the waiting game works or not.
    I think that's where the Madger Gomes types will come in. There's loads of out of contract players currently waiting to see what happens. With Covid affecting everyone's finances I would wager there's a better standard of player sat on a free transfer than there have been in the past, so if we can't get the exact players we're hoping for I reckon our backup plan is to pick up players like Gomes who maybe aren't as good as we'd hoped to get but are a cut above the Bogle and Smith types we've previously settled for
  • cafc4life said:
    looks like my source has lied to me.
    What a shock.
  • shine166 said:
    Oshilaja replaced 
    Pratley replaced 
    Amos replaced 
    Aneke gone
    Watson still here 
    JFC still here 
    Matthews still here 
    Pearce still here 
    Famewo still here 
    Smith didn't play 
    Millar gone 
    Maatsen gone 
    Maddison didn't play 
    Oztumer. Didn't play 

Over a 46 game season, you need 11 starters for each match. That's 506 appearances to be split among the squad.

Last season, a core group of 20 players (that started 10 or more games) accounted for 454 of those 506 appearances. The rest were cameo appearances from the youth (Barker), players that were moved on early in the season (Bonne) or loanees that didn't pan out (Levitt/Smith). Don't forget that included in that 20 are players like Millar and Stockley who joined on loan in January.

As it stands, our squad has 15/16 senior players that you could consider might be part of the core group (make 10+ starts this season). To reach the same number as last season (20) we would need 4 or 5 new players from where we are at currently.

Saying we've lost 16 and signed 5 is mad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I spoke to someone involved in lower league recruitment this afternoon.

"Market is fucked, clubs offering pennies in the pound.  Clubs won't know exactly where they are short until they sort their loans.  If no one blinks clubs will go out of business and others will be fielding teams of kids. There will be a record number of unemployed players". 
    Nothing has changed, yet. 
    Doesn't surprise me , clubs will wait until the final days before accepting anything. 
  • edited August 2021
    shine166 said:
    Oshilaja replaced 
    Pratley replaced 
    Amos replaced 
    Aneke gone
    Watson still here 
    JFC still here 
    Matthews still here 
    Pearce still here 
    Famewo still here 
    Smith didn't play 
    Millar gone 
    Maatsen gone 
    Maddison didn't play 
    Oztumer. Didn't play 

Over a 46 game season, you need 11 starters for each match. That's 506 appearances to be split among the squad.

Last season, a core group of 20 players (that started 10 or more games) accounted for 454 of those 506 appearances. The rest were cameo appearances from the youth (Barker), players that were moved on early in the season (Bonne) or loanees that didn't pan out (Levitt/Smith). Don't forget that included in that 20 are players like Millar and Stockley who joined on loan in January.

As it stands, our squad has 15/16 senior players that you could consider might be part of the core group (make 10+ starts this season). To reach the same number as last season (20) we would need 4 or 5 new players from where we are at currently.

For the last time I have never said we lost 16 & signed 5.

I said (God knows when) that we lost 16 players & therefore needed to rebuild more than a lot of teams in this division. I haven't the fogiest how many players other teams have had to replace - but Ipswich seem to have decided to go hell for leather & not wait for the transfer deadline to pick up a bargain or 2.

FOR THE RECORD. WE HAD A SIZEABLE NUMBER OF PLAYERS LEAVE THE CLUB IN MAY. SOME HAVE SIGNED UP AGAIN & SOME WE SIGNED UP FOR THE FIRST TIME, BUT WE ARE STILL 5 OR 6 PLAYERS SHORT OF A SQUAD THAT CAN COMPETE FOR PROMOTION AND IN MY MIND THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE BEFORE THE SEASON STARTED.....WELL BEFORE.
  • edited August 2021
    shine166 said:
    Oshilaja replaced 
    Pratley replaced 
    Amos replaced 
    Aneke gone
    Watson still here 
    JFC still here 
    Matthews still here 
    Pearce still here 
    Famewo still here 
    Smith didn't play 
    Millar gone 
    Maatsen gone 
    Maddison didn't play 
    Oztumer. Didn't play 

But that's not what I said is it, other than the bit where I've agreed we are short and in my following post said that we need 4/5 players.

Unless this was aimed at someone else I dont understand how you've read what I posted and come to that conclusion.

Maybe it's semantics, but I don't include players that resigned as players we've lost... because they never left. 
  • shine166 said:
    Oshilaja replaced 
    Pratley replaced 
    Amos replaced 
    Aneke gone
    Watson still here 
    JFC still here 
    Matthews still here 
    Pearce still here 
    Famewo still here 
    Smith didn't play 
    Millar gone 
    Maatsen gone 
    Maddison didn't play 
    Oztumer. Didn't play 

A good analysis which backs up what we all agree on that we need around 5 players.
  • edited August 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

"Market is fucked, clubs offering pennies in the pound.  Clubs won't know exactly where they are short until they sort their loans.  If no one blinks clubs will go out of business and others will be fielding teams of kids. There will be a record number of unemployed players". 
    Both fans and the club are assuming it will, but what if it doesn’t? When you sat clubs will go out of business do we know how many clubs are at risk and which clubs they are?
  • RedChaser said:
    Been out all day how’s it going, we signed Kane and Messi yet 😉.

Nearly right Red.
    We are looking at Herbie Kane and we are in a right old Messi trying to get players to sign for us in League 1 while Championship clubs have more clout and kudos for Agents and the players concerned.
  • edited August 2021

Wasn’t disagreeing with you, just adding my thoughts to the end of the chain. @shine166
  • Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Both fans and the club are assuming it will, but what if it doesn’t? When you sat clubs will go out of business do we know how many clubs are at risk and which clubs they are?
    https://www.begbies-traynorgroup.com/assets/uploads/pdfs/England Football Survey.pdf

33 of the 72 EFL clubs showing some 'financial distress' 
  • Still wouldn’t be halfway to Ipswich’s incomings..!
    But we did not rehearse 20 plus players so we don’t need anywhere near as many as they do to make a squad .. 
    No....we released 16.
    I think you mean rehearse.
  • Been a while since a rumour.

Come on Col!
  • Sponsored links:

?? That has gone straight over my head B)
    Think footwear!
  • edited August 2021

I believe this to be correct as of yesterday morning: 

AFC WIMBLEDON 

IN: Darius Charles (Wycombe, free), Luke McCormick (Chelsea, undisc), Aaron Cosgrove (Lewes, undisc), Zeki Oualah (Leatherhead, free), George Marsh (Tottenham, free), Aaron Pressley (Brentford, loan), Henry Lawrence (Chelsea, loan), Dapo Mebude (Watford, loan).

OUT: Joe Pigott (Ipswich, free), Archie Procter (Accrington, undisc), Shane McLoughlin (Morecambe, free), Callum Reilly, Luke O’Neill (both released). 

LOANS EXPIRED: Sam Walker, Darnell Johnson, George Dobson, Ryan Longman, Jaako Oksanen. 

ACCRINGTON STANLEY 

IN: Harry Pell (Colchester, free), John O'Sullivan (Morecambe, free), Joel Mumbongo (Burnley, loan), James Trafford (Man City, loan), Archie Procter (AFC Wimbledon, undisc), Liam Coyle (Liverpool, free), Joe Hardy (Liverpool, free), Jack Nolan (Walsall, free).OUT: Mark Hughes (Bristol Rovers, free), Joe Maguire (Tranmere, free), Reagan Ogle (Hartlepool, free), Josh Woods (Clay Brow, free).

LOANS EXPIRED: Nathan Baxter, Paul Smyth, Jon Russell, Ryan Cassidy, Tariq Uwakwe, Adam Phillips. 

CONTRACT TALKS: Ben Barclay, Harvey Rodgers

BOLTON WANDERERS 

IN: Dapo Afolayan (West Ham, free), Josh Sheehan (Newport, free), George Johnston (Feyenoord, undisclosed), Declan John (Swansea, free), Will Aimson (Plymouth, free), Amadou Bakayoko (Coventry, free), Joel Dixon (Barrow, free), Xavier Amaechi (Hamburg, loan), Elias Kachunga (Sheff Weds, free).

OUT: Arthur Gnahoua (Morecambe, free), Ryan Delaney (Morecambe, free), Shaun Miller, Jamie Mascoll (both released). 

LOANS EXPIRED: Billy Crellin, Declan John, Ben Jackson and Zack Elbouzedi. 

BURTON ALBION 

IN: Cameron Borthwick-Jackson (Oldham, free), Omari Patrick (Carlisle, free), Deji Oshilaja (Charlton, free), Bryn Morris (Portsmouth, free), Louis Moult (Preston, free), Frazer Blake-Tracy (Peterborough, free), Thomas O'Connor (Southampton, free), Conor Shaughnessy (Rochdale, free), Ellery Balcombe (Brentford, loan), Jacob Maddox (Vitoria Guimaraes, loan), Aaron Amadi-Holloway (East Bengal, free), Ryan Leak (Burgos, free). 

OUT: Stephen Quinn (Mansfield, free), Arthur Gnahoua (Morecambe, free), Colin Daniel, John-Joe O'Toole, Owen Gallacher, Neal Eardley, Mike Fondop, Ben Fox (all released). 

LOANS EXPIRED: Hayden Carter, Sean Clare, Ryan Broom, Josh Earl. 

CAMBRIDGE UNITED 

IN: Lloyd Jones (Northampton, free), James Brophy (Leyton Orient, free), Shilow Tracey (Tottenham, free), Jack Lankester (Ipswich, undisc), George Williams (Bristol Rovers, free), Sam Smith (Reading, free), Jensen Weir (Brighton, loan), Will Mannion (free agent), Jubril Okedina (Tottenham, undisc).

OUT: Paul Mullin (Wrexham, free), Kyle Knoyle (Doncaster, free), Luke Hannant (Colchester, free), Callum Burton (Plymouth, free).

LOANS EXPIRED: Jubril Okedina, Declan Drysdale, Hiram Boateng. 

CHARLTON ATHLETIC 

IN: Jayden Stockley (Preston, undisc), Craig MacGillivray (Portsmouth, free), George Dobson (Sunderland, free), Akin Famewo (Norwich, loan), Sean Clare (Oxford Utd, undisc).

OUT: Chuks Aneke (Birmingham, free), Deji Oshilaja (Burton, free), Darren Pratley (Leyton Orient, free), Ben Amos (Wigan, free), Marcus Maddison (Spalding Utd, free), Andrew Shinnie (Livingston, free), Ashley Maynard-Brewer (Ross County, loan), Erhun Oztumer (Fatih Karagümrük, free). 

LOANS EXPIRED: Ian Maatsen, Matt Smith, Liam Millar. 

CHELTENHAM TOWN 

IN: Owen Evans (Wigan, free), Elliot Bonds (Hull, free), Taylor Perry (Wolves, loan), Callum Wright (Leicester, loan), Dylan Barkers (Alvechurch, undisc), Kyle Vassell (Rotherham, free).

OUT: Daniel Bowery (King's Lynn, free), Tahvon Campbell (Woking, free), Alex Addai, Tom Chamberlain, Chris Clements (all released).

CONTRACT TALKS: Sean Long. 

LOANS EXPIRED: Finn Azaz, Josh Griffiths, Sam Smith, Indiana Vassilev.

CREWE ALEXANDRA 

IN: Chris Long (Motherwell, free), Kayne Ramsay (Southampton, loan), Shaun MacDonald (Rotherham, free), Tommie Hoban (Aberdeen, free), Callum McFadzean (Sunderland, free).

OUT: Olly Lancashire (released), Omar Beckles (Leyton Orient, free), Ryan Wintle (Cardiff, free).

LOANS EXPIRED: Stephen Walker, Antony Evans, Nathan Wood. 

DONCASTER ROVERS 

IN: Ben Close (Portsmouth, free), Kyle Knoyle (Cambridge Utd, free), Ro-Shaun Williams (Shrewsbury, free), Tommy Rowe (Bristol City, free), Matt Smith (Arsenal, loan), Jordy Hiwula (Portsmouth, free), Tiago Cukur (Watford, loan), Aidan Barlow (free agent), Pontus Dahlberg (Watford, loan).

OUT: James Coppinger (retired), Reece James (Blackpool, free), Brad Halliday (Fleetwood, free), Danny Amos, Madger Gomes, Joe Wright (all released).  

CONTRACT TALKS: Jason Lokilo, Lirak Hasani. 

LOANS EXPIRED: Taylor Richards, Tyreece John-Jules, Josh Sims, Ellery Balcombe, Scott Robertson, Elliot Simoes. 

FLEETWOOD 

IN: Ryan Edmondson (Leeds, loan), Brad Halliday (Doncaster, free), Tom Clarke (Salford, free), Harry Wright (Ipswich, free), Max Clark (Hull, free), Anthony PIlkington (East Bengal, free), Callum Morton (West Brom, loan), Darnell Johnson (Leicester, free).

OUT: Wes Burns (Ipswich, undisc), Sam Finley (Bristol Rovers, free), Paul Coutts (Bristol Rovers, free), Josh Morris (Salford, free), Harvey Saunders (Bristol Rovers, free), Nathan Sheron (Harrogate, free), Joel Coleman (Rochdale, free), Mark Duffy, Glenn Whelan (both released). 

LOANS EXPIRED: Callum Connolly, Janoi Donacien, Barrie McKay, Charlie Mulgrew, Kyle Vassell. 

GILLINGHAM 

IN: Max Ehmer (Bristol Rovers, free), Olly Lee (Hearts, free), Ben Reeves (Plymouth, free), David Tutonda (Bristol Rovers, free), Danny Lloyd (Tranmere, free), Aaron Chapman (Motherwell, free), Danny Lloyd (Tranmere, free), Jamie Cumming (Chelsea, loan), Rhys Bennett (Carlisle, free), Daniel Phillips (Watford, loan), Mustapha Carayol (free agent).

OUT: Connor Ogilvie (Portsmouth, free), Jack Bonham (Stoke, free), Dominic Samuel (Ross County, free), Jordan Graham (Birmingham, free), Matty Willock (Salford, free). 

LOANS EXPIRED: Robbie Cundy, Tommy O’Connor. 

IPSWICH TOWN 

IN: Wes Burns (Fleetwood, undisc), Lee Evans (Wigan, free), Rekeem Harper (West Brom, undisc), Macauley Bonne (QPR, loan), Vaclav Hladky (Salford, undisc), Matt Penney (Sheff Weds, free), Joe Pigott (AFC Wimbledon, free), Scott Fraser (MK Dons, undisc), George Edmundson (Rangers, undisc), Conor Chaplin (Barnsley, undisc), Louie Barry (Aston Villa, loan), Sone Aluko (Reading, free), Kyle Edwards (West Brom, free), Hayden Coulson (Middlesbrough, loan).

OUT: Andre Dozzell (QPR, £1m), Luke Chambers (Colchester, free), Gwion Edwards (Wigan, free), Cole Skuse (Colchester, free), James Wilson (Plymouth, free), David Cornell (contract terminated, joined Peterborough), Freddie Sears (Colchester, free), Alan Judge (Colchester, free), Oli Hawkins (Mansfield, undisc), Jack Lankester (Cambridge Utd, undisc), Aaron Drinan (Leyton Orient, undisc), Stephen Ward (Walsall, free), Teddy Bishop (Lincoln, undisc), Harry Wright (Fleetwood, free), Adam Przybek (Wycombe, free), Tyreece Simpson (Swindon, loan), Emyr Huws, Tristan Nydam (both released). 

LOANS EXPIRED: Mark McGuinness, Luke Matheson, Josh Harrop, Keanan Bennetts, Luke Thomas, Troy Parrott. 

LINCOLN CITY 

IN: Lewis Fiorini (Man City, loan), Chris Maguire (Sunderland, free), Dan Nlundulu (Southampton, loan), Josh Griffiths (West Brom, loan), Lasse Sorensen (Stoke, undisc), Teddy Bishop (Ipswich, undisc), Hakeeb Adelakun (Bristol City, free).

OUT: Jorge Grant (Peterborough, undisc), Harry Anderson (Bristol Rovers, free), Theo Archibald (Leyton Orient, loan).

LOANS EXPIRED: Alex Palmer, Brennan Johnson, Callum Morton, Morgan Rogers, TJ Eyoma. 

MK DONS 

IN: Scott Twine (Swindon, compensation fee TBC), Franco Ravizzoli (Eastbourne Borough, undisc), Josh Martin (Norwich, loan), Ethan Robson (Blackpool, loan), Max Watters (Cardiff, loan), Aden Baldwin (Bristol City, free), Mo Eisa (Peterborough, undisc), Tennai Watson (Reading, free), Troy Parrott (Tottenham, loan).

OUT: Cameron Jerome (Luton, free), Jordan Houghton (Plymouth, free), Matthew Sorinola (Union SG, free), Lee Nicholls (Huddersfield, free), Joe Mason (Cavalry FC, free), Sam Nombe (Extere, undisc), Kieran Agard (released), Ben Gladwin (Swindon, free).

CONTRACT TALKS: Andrew Surman. 

LOANS EXPIRED: Will Grigg, Ethan Laird, Lasse Sorensen, Louis Thompson. 

MORECAMBE 

IN: Callum Jones (Hull, loan), Arthur Gnahoua (Bolton, free), Wes McDonald (Walsall, free), Ryan Delaney (Bolton, free), Anthony O'Connor (Bradford, free), Ryan Cooney (Burnley, free), Jonathan Obika (St Mirren, free), Josh McPake (Rangers, loan), Alfie McCalmont (Leeds, loan), Greg Leigh (Aberdeen, free), Shane McLoughlin (AFC Wimbledon, free), Jacob Mensah (Weymouth, free), Jonah Ayunga (Bristol Rovers, undisc), Jokull Andresson (Reading, loan), Adam Phillips (Burnley, loan).

OUT: Yann Songo'o (Bradford, free), Carlos Mendes Gomes (Luton, undisc), Nat Knight-Percival (Tranmere, free), John O'Sullivan (Accrington, free), Alex Kenyon (Scunthorpe, free), Harry Davis (Scunthorpe, free), Mark Halstead, Stephen Hendrie, Liam McAlinden, Ben Pringle, Jordan Slew (all released). 

LOANS EXPIRED: Brad Lyons. 

• bobmunro said:
    what is a DM and is it eight or ten holes?
    Think footwear!
    DOH..OK, what am I like..!!, so obvious, thing is Oxblood or Black!!
  • I’m not too worried that we’re currently around five players short. I think we’ll sign a couple and pick up three or four loans, and these will be sorted pretty late on, which I think is when the better loans become available. 
    The sun is shining, the birds are singing, signings are great, loans are great. Etc. 
  • bobmunro said:
    what is a DM and is it eight or ten holes?
    Think footwear!
    DOH..OK, what am I like..!!, so obvious, thing is Oxblood or Black!!
    Definitely the Oxblood.
  • RedChaser said:
    Been out all day how’s it going, we signed Kane and Messi yet 😉.
    Messi is having a medical after agreeing personal terms.
  • Don't know if this is recent or not, but Charlie Kirk's other half follows Charlton Twitter.
    She’s also liked a lot of Charlton fans’ tweets that are asking to respect their privacy and stating how weird the DM’s are.
    Some sad individuals out there if they are sending her DM’s. 
    More than sad mate, disgusting for starters.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!