Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• J BLOCK said:
    Anyone who thinks this is a pub league is wrong. Last season was the easiest time in years to get promoted, next season will be totally different. 
    Last season was poor in terms of quality but the no fans aspect has some strange effects. We saw it across all football.
  • DOUCHER said:
    always makes me laugh when people say this is a pub league - its the 3rd best division in England !!! A good number of the clubs in it could, and probably will swop places with a good number of those currently in the premier league within the next 5 - 10 years -  half the division will probably swop places with those in the championship - i think there is a much bigger gap between the prem and the champ than league 1 and the champ    
    In fairness it's been pretty even last couple of seasons. Us, Luton and Barnsley could easily have all come back down, then Rotherham and Wycombe did get relegated and Coventry came 16th. So the last 6 promoted teams have all struggled really. In comparison, Villa nearly went straight back down, Norwich did, Sheff Utd had a cracker. Leeds then had a good season with West Brom and Fulham getting relegated. 

I expect it to follow suit. I think Peterborough and Blackpool will struggle, I expect Hull to survive. 
  • supaclive said:
    Because other clubs have incomplete squads that's ok is it?

I want us to WIN this league so I want us to have the best squad.

Currently we don't. 

I genuinely don't care about other clubs.  Our owner made strong comments at the end of last season and I trust him and are glad we have him.

But we don't have a fit left back and NO left midfielder. 

Totally unbalanced.   I'm not saying our squad should be finished by now but come on now.  We've needed both these positions in cover and first choice since our last two loanees in those positions left!
    If you don't care about other clubs how can you rate our squad? 

What are you comparing it to?  Powell's, Bowyer's, Curbishley's, Man City, Peps Barca, Brazil 1970?

Its not a pub league, but we don't have a pub team. 
  • edited August 2021
    mart77 said:
    The Fan Adviser has just said ‘watch this space’ on Twitter to some moaning about the lack of signings and poor squad depth. Hopefully positive🤞🏻
    What exactly does fan advisor do ? I'm not digging her out I just have no idea & since she was appointed I don't think I've seen anything mentioned.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:

Currently we don't. 

I genuinely don't care about other clubs.  Our owner made strong comments at the end of last season and I trust him and are glad we have him.

Totally unbalanced.   I'm not saying our squad should be finished by now but come on now.  We've needed both these positions in cover and first choice since our last two loanees in those positions left!

What are you comparing it to?  Powell's, Bowyer's, Curbishley's, Man City, Peps Barca, Brazil 1970?

Because we can barely field a senior XI in two days time. You don't need to care about other clubs, nor compare to realise that's far from ideal. 
  • edited August 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:

Currently we don't. 

Because I don't care about them, I can still rate them!

You completely avoid my point about the lack of any fit or signed left sided players.  

Or do you only care to answer the parts that are easy to have an opinion on?

Does anybody really think we should be starting the season with no left back and no left midfielder?

• Of our young players, I think Clayden could break through this season. There are some other excellent prospects, but he looks the most ready to me.
  • supaclive said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:

Currently we don't. 

You completely avoid my point about the lack of any fit or signed left sided players.  

Does anybody really think we should be starting the season with no left back and no left midfielder?

Washington is very likely to play down the wing in a 433 this season so not sure the lack of a left midfielder is a major issue. I would have liked another defender and winger in time for Saturday though admittedly. I think the CB, CM, another winger and striker can wait a week or two, but disappointed we have (so far) failed to add another two. 
  • supaclive said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:

Currently we don't. 

Washington is very likely to play down the wing in a 433 this season so not sure the lack of a left midfielder is a major issue. I would have liked another defender and winger in time for Saturday though admittedly. I think the CB, CM, another winger and striker can wait a week or two, but disappointed we have (so far) failed to add another two. 
    Again answer the question. 

Do you think we should be starting the season with Gunther at left back and Washington, out of position, as our only real option to play left hand side?

• edited August 2021
    supaclive said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:

Currently we don't. 

No of course not, the left back position needs re-enforcement, ideally better than Purrington to be honest.  The left sided forward is also a concern, as to is another center back and a striker.

But it's not like Washington is awful in that position and Gunter can certainly do a job there for a few games, and hopefully that's all it is.

The lack of recruitment is a concern across the whole divison.

Do I think our squad is good enough for the season? No.  Do I think our team can beat Sheffield Wednesday? Absolutely.  Do you think we aren't trying to address out left sided problem? 
  • Sponsored links:

• DOUCHER said:
    always makes me laugh when people say this is a pub league - its the 3rd best division in England !!! A good number of the clubs in it could, and probably will swop places with a good number of those currently in the premier league within the next 5 - 10 years -  half the division will probably swop places with those in the championship - i think there is a much bigger gap between the prem and the champ than league 1 and the champ    
    In fairness it's been pretty even last couple of seasons. Us, Luton and Barnsley could easily have all come back down, then Rotherham and Wycombe did get relegated and Coventry came 16th. So the last 6 promoted teams have all struggled really. In comparison, Villa nearly went straight back down, Norwich did, Sheff Utd had a cracker. Leeds then had a good season with West Brom and Fulham getting relegated. 

I expect it to follow suit. I think Peterborough and Blackpool will struggle, I expect Hull to survive. 
    I think Peterborough will stay up and the other two will go down, probably with Wayne Rooney's Derby.  Opinions :-) 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:

Currently we don't. 

No of course, not the left back position needs re-enforcement, ideally better than Purrington to be honest.  The left sided forward is also a concern, as to is another center back and a striker.

But it's not like Washington is awful in that position and Gunter can certainly do a job there for a few games, and hopefully that's all it is.

Do I think our squad is good enough for the season? No.  Do I think our team can beat Sheffield Wednesday? Absolutely.  Do you think we aren't trying to address out left sided problem? 
    Why do people keep saying this, the BBC reports on numerous transfers in League 1 every day, below is a snap shot of the last five days and other weeks have been just as busy.

League One | BBC Sport
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:

Currently we don't. 

No of course, not the left back position needs re-enforcement, ideally better than Purrington to be honest.  The left sided forward is also a concern, as to is another center back and a striker.

Our owner made bold promises.
    Some teams are on soft embargoes. 
    I am concerned. 
    Is it terminal?  No.
    Could we be 10 points behind the leaders before we address our lack of strength in depth.....
    I'm a realist.  It pays to be as a Charlton fan.
    We have a club.  We are lucky about that but that doesn't mean we should all be ambitious.  Our owner certainly says he is.

• I really think we shouldn’t underestimate the value of Adkins as our manager, I’m pretty sure he knows he will get reinforcements and so is happy to work with what he has. Bringing the kids on will not be an unusual experience for him, and in doing so I think the squad as it is will react in a good way. I’d imagine the youngsters wanting to prove themselves and NA’s enthusiasm will hopefully get us off to a steady start. I find it difficult to see any scenario pan out like it did with bowyer last season with NA in charge. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for good times ahead.
  • bobmunro said:
    sounds like too many chiefs and not enough Indians.
    I think the preferred term now is native Americans.

But two heads are better than one and many hands make light work v too many cooks spoil the broth

A stitch in time saves nine.
    They paved paradise, put up parking lot.
  • No major gaps in the first XI so no obvious positions being targeted. But looking a bit bare 17-23.

1 Craig MacGillivray 

2 Chris Gunter

3 Ben Purrington

4 George Dobson

5 Akin Famewo

6 Jason Pearce

7 Diallang Jaiyesimi

8 Jake Forster-Caskey

9 Jayden Stockley

10 Albie Morgan

11 Alex Gilbey

13 Ashley Maynard-Brewer 

14 Conor Washington

16 Adam Matthews

24 Ryan Inniss

25 Josh Davison

26 Ben Watson

28 Sean Clare

29 Ronnie Schwartz

31 Nathan Harness (gk)

32 Hady Ghandour

33 Ben Dempsey

34 Wassim Aouachria

35 James Vennings

36 Charles Clayden

37 Johl Powell

40 Charlie Barker

42 Aaron Henry

49 Jacob Roddy

50 Deji Elerewe

NO8 will be filled by a loan NO15 surely while JFC recovers 

NO11 how’s Gilbey doing ? 

Good news for Albie Morgan 

I imagine we will still be in for 2 perms and 3 loans yet 
    five signings isn't enough if we actually have aspirations of promotion
    I'm sure we have aspirations of promotion, it's just a shame that our recruitment hasn't shown any signs of backing that aspiration up. I keep hearing that the recruitment team are working hard & that it's a very slow market this year but it hasn't stopped some ambitious clubs signing quite a few players. It appears that we're waiting until the end of August & hoping that the premiership/championship teams will throw us a few crumbs by way of loans. I honestly think that this time next year we'll be having the same conversation all over again as we face another year in the 3rd Division.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:

Currently we don't. 

Why do people keep saying this, the BBC reports on numerous transfers in League 1 every day, below is a snap shot of the last five days and other weeks have been just as busy.

League One | BBC Sport
    Yes but...the average league 1 club is about 6 players short on the squad size they had last season.  6 is probably what most people would think we are short?  Some might say 7 or 8 some 4 or 5.  I don't think 6 is unrealistic, especially when we will almost certainly bring in 4 loans. 

• mart77 said:
    The Fan Adviser has just said ‘watch this space’ on Twitter to some moaning about the lack of signings and poor squad depth. Hopefully positive🤞🏻
    What exactly does fan advisor do ? I not digging her out I just have no idea & since she was appointed I don't think I've seen anything mentioned.
    Essentially listen to a range of fans views, pass those on to the club or in the most recent case TS, and then feedback to fans what Club says about fan gripes/suggestions. I believe this is the case anyway. 
  • The thing that makes me laugh is a lot of posters on here were saying last season they have no connection with the squad/players/team, they can all fuck off, they can do one, not fit to wear the shirt and we need a total clear out.

We are essentially starting the season with the same squad/team/players apart from a few minimal changes and promotion to The Championship is on the horizon. 
  • Sponsored links:

• A bird in the hand is like two in the bush!
  • Rothko said:
    supaclive said:
    No recognised left back
    No recognised left midfieldee
    Two centre forwards 

We are a couple of injuries from bare bones

I'm not expecting us to spend millions but fuck me, we'll end up staying in this pub division at this rate.
    Shame the transfer window is shut, hey

I honestly give up with some.

as a smart young man born at Farnborough Hospital once said, ‘the worst thing about supporting Charlton, is other Charlton supporters’, and this summer has fired my patience to its limits   
    I blame the parents
  • supaclive said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:

Currently we don't. 

Our owner made bold promises.
    Some teams are on soft embargoes. 
    I am concerned. 
    Is it terminal?  No.
    Could we be 10 points behind the leaders before we address our lack of strength in depth.....
    I'm a realist.  It pays to be as a Charlton fan.
    We have a club.  We are lucky about that but that doesn't mean we should all be ambitious.  Our owner certainly says he is.

Or we COULD be top of the table. Both of which are incredibly unlikely. Not one club has a full squad yet. Obviously we are looking like needing a lot more business done, that's not in question.... But so are a lot of other teams.
  • The thing that makes me laugh is a lot of posters on here were saying last season they have no connection with the squad/players/team, they can all fuck off, they can do one, not fit to wear the shirt and we need a total clear out.

We are essentially starting the season with the same squad/team/players apart from a few minimal changes and promotion to The Championship is on the horizon. 
    To be honest, I can't say I'd care too much if any player in our team was replaced by a.n.other. I haven't really bonded with any and desperately hope some hero's emerge from the pack that go on to be fans favourites. 

As things stand I thing we are top 8. No idea whatsoever how things will unfold, but feel underwhelmed by the business done so far. As others have said, I don't care who else has done what, but we haven't put together a squad to ensure promotion, which is TS aim (anything less must be considered failure). 

It's not the same people though is it.... 
  • edited August 2021
    And if we are talking about the pathway to the first team being a major attraction in attracting kids to our academy, it's worth noting that none of AMB, Clayden, Ghandour, Barker, Harness and Davison are really academy products, as all were signed when 16 or over.
    Charlie Barker signed when he was 13, we’re the only academy he’s played for.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    The thing that makes me laugh is a lot of posters on here were saying last season they have no connection with the squad/players/team, they can all fuck off, they can do one, not fit to wear the shirt and we need a total clear out.

It's not the same people though is it.... 
    I am not naming names but some who said the above seem very content with our transfer business so far and are confident of a top 6 finish. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Charlton are going to rely on their younger players because that is the argument to make the better kids sign for Cafc in the first place. If they don't see a route through to the first team we will lose out on even more talented youngsters. Catch 22 for Cafc as we need the journey men players as well and the 21-24 age group who may be next Vardy, Holt or Lambert,(Ajose normally)
    So difficult for Steve Gallen 
    In the last 30 years you can probably count on one hand the number of kids that have had to leave Charlton because they didn't get a chance.  Some left because they weren't good enough for where we are and we passed them on the way down.

I think that's a ridiculous argument to not sign players, if it's true, or you think it's true. 

What is true is how difficult it is to hold on to the top talent in the younger age group.
    We held on to Joe Gomez but couldn't with Casey Palmer and this is still happening in the younger groups which you won't even hear about unless you are a parent, guardian or work in youth academies or do the rounds of youth football. I mean the 12 and 13 year olds that we want to possibly play in our first team at 17 or 18 like Joe and Ademola Lookman. They may not progress to men's football but Cafc are trying to nurture them and hope they mature to the first team. We are working so hard to keep this young talent at Charlton.
    Lookman only joined Cafc from Waterloo fc at 16 instead of a couple of other offers he had because his representatives were told if he did well over the next 18 months he would be given a chance to progress. Lots of ifs and buts, but this really is Charlton USP when parents bring their kids to potentially join Cafc. Football clubs are dream sellers; All of them not just Cafc.
    Lookman in Cafc 1st team at 18 and an Everton player sold for 8 million and potential 3 million add-ons.
    From Waterloo in the Tandridge youth league at 16 to Premier League at 19, that's what you call fast track ! 

You win nothing with kids but you need 3 or 4 to give you legs ! Just ask JJ and Watson what happens when your legs go.
    I am not disputing any of that, if they are good enough they will play.  Unless you want us to turn in to a south east London version of Crewe?

Do you honestly think players leave us because they can't see away into the first team?  Did Casey Palmer, an example you used, leave us because he saw a path way to first team football at Chelsea, that he didn't see at Charlton?

Yes our top talent leaves, but it doesn't leave because there is no path to the first team.  They leave because of two reasons, well actually 3, money, they think they will get better coaching and international exposure at a "bigger club" or lastly they don't get on with the staff, for what ever reason.

When was the last time we blocked a young player from the 1st team?  That was good enough? 

You have totally misunderstood my post.
    Of course they leave for money. I thought that was so obvious I didn't really think it needed saying. That's why we sell the chance of first team football IF they are good enough. We need a balance of journeymen and youngsters, and I'm Sure that's what Thomas Sandgaard and Nigel Adkins have said. Nigel said he wanted a filter and younger side at the end of last season and why he said Watson and Pearce are basically back up but can help the youngsters. Definitely looking who we bring in on loans as we are well short on the goals front. So few goals in this team with just two days to the first game.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!